The Mac FAQ

Comments

• Dang. That doesn't do the trick. Most of my content is on a removable drive that's properly referenced in the .ini file. The only reference to my internal drive is /Users/…, which ignores the drive name. It looks like I need to recreate my Smart Content library 

• It turns out I can't start the CMS at all. I looked for the scripts you mention at the start of the thread, but can't find them. The start and stop CMS in the pulldown menus on the Content Library and Smart Content panels don't work. 

Saved files do load properly—it's seeing my content, but the CMS isn't active for the Smart Library. Do I need to do a complete reinstall or soemthing?

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.16.30 AM.png
    438 x 656 - 72K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,513

Might be that it really needs to be reinstalled to be able to start (security in OS X from 10.11 and up can sometimes be a real pain, but it prevents most bad things).
    I think you might need to reinstall it, the installer might or might not be smart enough to find your old database and just reinstall the application part of it.

• Thanks. Should I just manually delete the Daz 3D folder in the Applications folder, or do I need to do more than that before reinstalling?

Thanks. Should I just manually delete the Daz 3D folder in the Applications folder, or do I need to do more than that before reinstalling?

No, let the installer handle that. Just download the installer: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_18869

/Totte

• Thaks! All fixed.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 900

Is anyone running 4.10 in Bootcamp on their Macs? Do you see any difference in performance? How are graphics card drivers handled, or does it not make a difference? If it's worth doing, what version of Windows would you suggest I buy? (I hear nothing but complaints from people about 10, and I haven't used Bootcamp in years, so whatever version of Windows I was using is long gone.)

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited April 2018

I am running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update with DS 4.10.0.123 in my Mac Pro with GeForce GTX-1070 in a dedicated Bootcamp HD. When setting up scenes and rendering with Iray there are no notable differences in performance, but when running dForce simulations Windows is sometimes 10 X faster and more stable than macOS. Not all dForce clothing are build in the same way, so sometimes switching beetween OSes don't pay off. Anyway, with complex outfits or when you have mrore than one in the scene, Windows driver definitely do a faster job.

By the way, I feel very confortable with Windows 10 with no complaints about usability. In fact there are no notable difference in using DS, Photoshop, and other graphic applications in Windows or macOS. What I miss when using Windows are my more mundane mac applications. ;-)

Post edited by MBusch on
  • leoxjbleoxjb Posts: 9

Hi guys I’m having trouble installing 3rd party content on Mac, i unzip the content To find folders called runtime and data. I go to library/docs/daz/my library but there’s absolutely nothin in this folder?? Where do I move the content to I don’t get this.. thank you!!

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 900

Thanks, MBusch. That gives me a little to think about. :)

leoxjb said:

Hi guys I’m having trouble installing 3rd party content on Mac, i unzip the content To find folders called runtime and data. I go to library/docs/daz/my library but there’s absolutely nothin in this folder?? Where do I move the content to I don’t get this.. thank you!!

Try my RendoInstall application for OS X found here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?page_id=7463

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    Totte said:
    leoxjb said:

Try my RendoInstall application for OS X found here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?page_id=7463

I had no idea you made this.  Have been using it for quite sometime and love it!  Such a fast way to install 3rd party content!  Thanks for all the hard work!  Cheers!

Geminii23 said:
    Totte said:
    leoxjb said:

I had no idea you made this.  Have been using it for quite sometime and love it!  Such a fast way to install 3rd party content!  Thanks for all the hard work!  Cheers!

Thanks, I wrote the first version mac in 2011 I think, for a friend who was into DAZ and Poser alot back then but constantly trashed his Content directories and then he needed my help to sort it out. Then I really have fiddling manually with things that can be automated.

• Totte said:
    rsharp said:

Software developer here as well for over 30 years.  But that makes no difference for this discussion.  The next major macOS release _will not_ run 32-bit software period.  This is just like what happened with iOS 11; that OS _will not_ run any 32-bit apps.  As such, developers needed to ensure their apps had a 64-bit flavor in order to run on user's devices.

Thus it doesn't matter that the installer app won't need to access 64-bit address space, etc.  But it needs to be 64-bit to simply be able to run on the next OS.

As I said - I'm most confident this wont be an issue. I know this has been brought to the attention of the DAZ developers already and there will be a DIM for 64 bit when it's needed.

Well its needed now. Running macOS 10.14 and will only work with 64 bit apps. Any word on 64bit support to install? New here so not sure if I missed it. 

• peterbobpeterbob Posts: 13

I try to use the new Public Build  DS 4.11.0.193 in my Mac Pro with Mac OS 10.12.6 but here is a bug  with path.

When i change the path of the start-up screen in DS Preferences, DS don't save it.

With DS 4.10.0.123 no problem. Purhaps must i install MAC OS 10.14 ?

edited August 2018
    peterbob said:

I try to use the new Public Build  DS 4.11.0.193 in my Mac Pro with Mac OS 10.12.6 but here is a bug  with path.

When i change the path of the start-up screen in DS Preferences, DS don't save it.

With DS 4.10.0.123 no problem. Purhaps must i install MAC OS 10.14 ?

That's strange.
    Is that the Preferences-> Startup "Load File" settings?

And nope, does not have anything with OS X version to do me thinks.
    I'll check what happens (do use that function myself so it's a first for everything)

Edit: I set a scene, did Apply and Accept and restarted DS and it was loaded.

any errors in the log.txt in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4 Public Build ??

Post edited by Totte on

So with macOS Mojave officially coming out in a few days, I was wondering if anyone has info on whether or not DAZ, DIM and Totte's Rendoinstall will work.  I think I read somewhere that if you upgrade to Mojave all 32bit apps will no longer work.  I definitely am not planning on upgrading right away but curious where things are at in DAZ land.

Geminii23 said:

So with macOS Mojave officially coming out in a few days, I was wondering if anyone has info on whether or not DAZ, DIM and Totte's Rendoinstall will work.  I think I read somewhere that if you upgrade to Mojave all 32bit apps will no longer work.  I definitely am not planning on upgrading right away but curious where things are at in DAZ land.

DIM is now 64 bit and has been for a while, Rendoinstall i2.0 s a 32/64 bit application so it should work, but you can never know what apple accidently deprecated without telling you so never 100% sure things works, the that would be of another reason that not being 64 bit.

Totte said:
    Geminii23 said:

DIM is now 64 bit and has been for a while, Rendoinstall i2.0 s a 32/64 bit application so it should work, but you can never know what apple accidently deprecated without telling you so never 100% sure things works, the that would be of another reason that not being 64 bit.

Hey Totte!  Thanks for sharing that info.  Regarding DIM, please see my attached screenshot on this.  I have logged in a few time this week and just tried again today.  I seem to have latest version, but it isn't 64bit.

DIM.jpeg
    786 x 408 - 69K

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/256926/daz-install-manager-dim-1-1-0-100-now-available-updated

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously installed the Install Manager application and the computer it is installed on is connected to the internet, you can simply launch the application and log into your account. Once connected, you will be notified that an update has been detected and you will be prompted to "Update" or "Work Offline". Click the "Update" button and the application will take care of the rest.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the application from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "Install Manager" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking one of the following links:

Download  te Mac 64 verison

Ah!  Thanks.  I guess I have been using the 32-bit version for so long that I assumed it would just upgrade to 64-bit when it was available.  Didn't even bother to check if it actualyl was available.

Alright, so I can now confirm that DIM (64-bit) is not working in Mojave.  I have tried to re-install but still no dice.  DAZ itself seems to work fine though.  

Geminii23 said:

Alright, so I can now confirm that DIM (64-bit) is not working in Mojave.  I have tried to re-install but still no dice.  DAZ itself seems to work fine though.  

I saw this in another thread, I myself have learned the hard way to wait for a .2 or .3 OS update from Apple before I even touch it.

• ACFanACFan Posts: 12
    edited September 2018

I have a ticket open on the issue with DIM on Mojave, and have provided crash dumps. From what I'm seeing on the dump, aswell as from reports from other software, it appears this one is neither the fault of Daz or Apple ... the actual framework that DIM is built with has a library issue that is causing the failure is the general concensus. (It is the QT library) There might be a work-around, but it will mean re-writing some of the code for DIM, otherwise we can just hope for a QT patch fairly soon that will just require a recompile of the existing code.

For those with just one Mac, (THIS IS THEORY, IF IT WORKS FOR SURE PLEASE COMMENT) if all else fails you can always try doing updates by loading the previous OS on an external drive and run DIM from that after booting from it - you just have to make sure that DIM is pointed to the CMS and product directories on your Mojave drive. As I said, it is theory - in my case I have a primary render machine (not updated) and a secondary design machine (Updated) -- so I am not completely down, just inconvienienced.

If you have not updated your OS yet, consider if you need Daz updates from DIM before you upgrade until this is fixed. If it dies end up being what all indications are pointing to, it is possible this might take a while to repair.

EDIT: The issues I saw reports on were pretty much stating that certain QT libraries use function calls that have been flagged as depriciated for a while .... so it's not like there was no warning on th QT end, but it's a surprise to developers who counted on the framework staying current

Post edited by ACFan on

@ ACFan - after reading this I decide to try something out.  I have full backups of everything DAZ on my DROBO, including the 32-bit DIM v. 1.1.0.71. So as a test, I launched that DIM from the DROBO and it loaded just fine.  Instantly it wants to update, but as it is I can actually get into DIM this way.

• ACFanACFan Posts: 12
    Geminii23 said:

@ ACFan - after reading this I decide to try something out.  I have full backups of everything DAZ on my DROBO, including the 32-bit DIM v. 1.1.0.71. So as a test, I launched that DIM from the DROBO and it loaded just fine.  Instantly it wants to update, but as it is I can actually get into DIM this way.

Thanks for the info - I'll have to try it that way too with a remote - I have a Thunderbay set up the same way

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    ACFan said:

I have a ticket open on the issue with DIM on Mojave, and have provided crash dumps. From what I'm seeing on the dump, aswell as from reports from other software, it appears this one is neither the fault of Daz or Apple ... the actual framework that DIM is built with has a library issue that is causing the failure is the general concensus. (It is the QT library... The issues I saw reports on were pretty much stating that certain QT libraries use function calls that have been flagged as depriciated for a while .... so it's not like there was no warning on th QT end, but it's a surprise to developers who counted on the framework staying current

What's surprising about this is that DAZ Studio -- which people say works fine under Mojave -- is also built using QT.

It may be that DIM uses QT calls that DAZ Studio doesn't, or that it was linked against an older version of the QT library. In that case, DAZ may be able to make some changes on their end to resolve the issue.

I seem to recall that there have been issues in the past -- not necessarily with DAZ -- with software built on top of QT failing as OS's get upgraded. In its copyright notice, DAZ Studio gives the copyright date for QT as 2015 (yikes!) I hope that just means that 2015 was the last time DAZ updated their copyright notice, not that they're running against a 3-year-old version of the library.

• I've fresh installed system with macOS Mojave but DIM crash.. I really hope the update of DIM is coming soon????????~

AFAIK it's something that is very much worked on. I don't run 10.14 myself but I think Apple tweaked something in latest builds that causes this.

• It's a huge shame that Daz developers would not have been testing all along since June with the first Mojave developer builds!  I too can no longer install Daz3D under Mojave.  Mojave was critical to install for my work.  Thank goodness 3D is just a side hobby.