March 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing

Comments

• Mk2:

render mk2reference

I loosened up her shoulders. I'm not sure why I was having so much difficulty with them earlier, but this time they went right where I wanted them. All four limbs are now only very slightly clipping the ground, with the exception of her thumbs. I'm going to have to experiment with them some more. Any problems I haven't spotted?

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434

Ok, I think I'm getting close to the end of this...or it's getting close to the end of me...

couple4.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 733K

Ok, I think I'm getting close to the end of this...or it's getting close to the end of me...

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited March 2017

This looks really good.  I can't find anything to nitpick.  I do have to ask where you got the prosthetic though.  I don't believe I've seen that anywhere.

hey Knittingmommy, the prothetic is made by askance for Genesis. You can find it here :

http://www.sharecg.com/v/80331/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Modern-computerized-prosthetic-legs-for-Genesis

Post edited by harrykim on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    harrykim said:

This looks really good.  I can't find anything to nitpick.  I do have to ask where you got the prosthetic though.  I don't believe I've seen that anywhere.

hey Knittingmommy, the prothetic is made by askance for Genesis. You can find it here :

http://www.sharecg.com/v/80331/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Modern-computerized-prosthetic-legs-for-Genesis

Thanks!  :)

edited March 2017

Well...I think this is it.  Not that it's done, but I am (at least through the end of the month).  I've certainly learned a lot this month...from pinning (who knew?), to looking for clues in a 2D image for how the shapes have to be, to not biting off waaaaay more than you can chew....Thanks everyone for the support and comments.  Looking forward to next month's challenge.

couple5.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 698K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
    edited March 2017

lucky me, to have a view days off to celebrete my hobby. So I worked on a second scene for the contest. Please try to overlook the ladies  " hair", I simply could not find any suitable in my inventory. And I swaer, her ni...ls,  I`ve seen just at the end of the render. Since I think that you will have a view correction notes I will change it with the next run.

dont worry baby, it is all about technique 1.png
    1838 x 1313 - 3M
    dancing.jpg
    5568 x 4000 - 4M

is it over siced?

@harrykim  Your image looks pretty close.  The only thing I really see that glares out at me is that his head and neck aren't quite aligned like the reference.  I think your male's neck and head need to be a little straighter, it's a little too far forward.

Could you please fix the size of your images so that they are 800 px wide or less?  They like the images in the forums to be no wider than 800.  Thanks.

edited March 2017

@harrykim  Your image looks pretty close.  The only thing I really see that glares out at me is that his head and neck aren't quite aligned like the reference.  I think your male's neck and head need to be a little straighter, it's a little too far forward.

Could you please fix the size of your images so that they are 800 px wide or less?  They like the images in the forums to be no wider than 800.  Thanks.

So, I made a new one and hope that the size is correct now. I also made a view changes, ...  the ni..ple issue is solved ;-)

I think her right arm needs to be adjustet and his left leg too. Probably I have  solved already the head position of the male character, but I think her head needs to be bent also a bit more. But this is for tomorrow :)

dont worry baby, it is all about technique 1.png
    1838 x 1313 - 3M
    dancing.jpg
    5568 x 4000 - 4M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    harrykim said:

So, I made a new one and hope that the size is correct now. I also made a view changes, ...  the ni..ple issue is solved ;-)

I think her right arm needs to be adjustet and his left leg too. Probably I have  solved already the head position of the male character, but I think her head needs to be bent also a bit more. But this is for tomorrow :)

I agree about her right arm.  It may look relaxed in the reference image but she is using it for balance.  Her is not haning straight down but is at a slight angle.

I agree about his left leg.  It looks like it needs to be rotated out slightly to me.

His right arm is a little too low on her torso.  In the reference image he is holding her a bit higher on her torso...or maybe that is a difference in scale between the figures in the reference image and your models.

You did a really good job on this pose. 

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    edited March 2017

Alrighty, so now I've made the sole of the left foot a bit more visible.

7878.jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 477K
    dance-1566852_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 200K
    Post edited by Aloreea on

@Aloreea  Wow! That looks perfect.  I don't see anything more you need to work on.  :)

@Aloreea  Wow! That looks perfect.  I don't see anything more you need to work on.  :)

yay! Thanks alot for your help! I've learned alot during this challenge!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited March 2017

I see one thing. Where her right foot meets her right arm, it should be the toe area that touches instead of the heel area. You have done a really good job on this @Aloreea. I am particularly impressed with the had posing.

Post edited by barbult on

Tomorrow is the last day of this posing challenge. Based on the skill shown here by EVERYONE, you would think this was an advanced user challenge instead of a new user challenge!

barbult said:

I see one thing. Where her right foot meets her right arm, it should be the toe area that touches instead of the heel area. You have done a really good job on this @Aloreea. I am particularly impressed with the had posing.

Ooh, ok I see what you're talking about..I will be back, and thanks!

• Aloreea said:

Here we go, I've made her foot closer to her elbow.

Brilliant. My favourite.

Aloreea said:

Here we go, I've made her foot closer to her elbow.

Brilliant. My favourite.

Thank you!

edited March 2017

Now, I've moved her right arm to where it meets her right foot near her toes. 

dance-1566852_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 200K
    797889999.jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 478K
    edited April 2017

thank you Kismet2012 for your comment ! His handposition I have not noticed ;)

Ok, last chance to improve something I guess. If one has any advice, please let me know

( Updated )

(Final Update ) This was funny :-)

dont worry baby, it is all about technique.png
    800 x 571 - 627K
    dancing.jpg
    5568 x 4000 - 4M

Last Call

This month's challenge ends tonight at Daz midnight.

edited March 2017

Ok, so here's my final render of my second pose...I wanted to do something fancy.

Ink Scape.jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 278K
  • barbult said:

This month's challenge ends tonight at Daz midnight.

That's a thing I've been wondering about. Your contact page lists UT, so Daz time == mountain daylight time?

Anyhow, this should be my final version of this study (EDIT: I said that, then went back and changed things 3 times while in the process of posting this. Small changes, but still.)

render mk3reference

Patchnotes:

-Fussed over her thumbs. I don't like their current state, but then, I don't think I can put my hands in the position the reference runner's are in. I think this is as close as I can get with G3F joints, but, on the other hand, I thought that a couple versions ago, too.

-Changed her hair to add a bit of motion to the scene, to contrast with her pose.

-Tilted her head a bit to be closer to the reference and ease her neck. Before, I had all of her neck joints at the stops. Now, they each have a little slack. This should be a little more comfortable for her, which is important, as I have no idea how long the race is going to keep her waiting.

-Experimented with face pose controls. Specifically, Cheek Crease, Cheek Eye Flex, Cheek Flex, Nose Wrinkle, Nostrils Flare, and Eye Squint. Previously, I had just been using 45% Fierce, 45% Rage, and 15% Scream. The facial expression could use tuning (With the exception of Eyes Squint, I pushed all the controls named above to +/- 100% for quick results.), but I think it's closer than before. This is definitely an area I should have looked into sooner.

One thing that this has taught me: I really like using limits when posing. Stuff gets a little weird when pushing beyond them. Moreover, most of the time I've pushed a joint beyond the stock limits, the reference was in a position that I find somewhat painful approaching, nevermind actually achieving.

TODOs that I probably won't do because Last Call's been called:

-Widen her arms a bit and move her right foot more forward.

-Ease her face. In particular, her brows shouldn't be so far down. Tilt her head back a little bit. It was too high before, now I think it's a little too low. She might need to open her mouth wider, but it's hard to tell til her head's at the right angle.

Anyone have suggestions/comments?

edited April 2017
    barbult said:

Anyhow, this should be my final version of this study (EDIT: I said that, then went back and changed things 3 times while in the process of posting this. Small changes, but still.)

LOL  ... same what I did   laugh

@rcbcgreenpanzer_bafa8f91a7 nice tweaks! Those thumbs look very close now. I like the hair motion, too. Yes, Daz time is MDT, so we have about an hour left.

This challenge is closed!

Thank you all for participating.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Wow, so much great entries. I think this month will be a hard choice for the jury. So good luck to all. :)

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816
    edited April 2017

March 2017

Showcased Participants for the March Posing Challenge

You Could Have Fooled Me - Given to the person who created the most realistic pose that was done in such a way that it is hard to tell its a 3D Image.

For those reasons we have selected bluetideN838 to showcase smiley

You Got Me Twisted - Given to the the person who chose and achieved the most bendy, twisty, or difficult pose to attempt to duplicate

The New User we felt best showed that this month was Aloreea
     image  image

Everyday Life - Given to the person who chose and achieved a pose that best represents the way we see people in our everyday lives (Example would be someone sitting reading a book or walking along somewhere - A more natural "everyday" pose).

The New User we felt best showcased that this month was zombietaggerung

New User - Welcome

rcbcgreenpanzer_bafa8f91a7 and Sueya

image  image

bluetideN838.jpg
    916 x 916 - 79K
    Aloreea.jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 185K
    Aloreea2.jpg
    1680 x 1080 - 232K
    zombietaggerung.png
    999 x 1618 - 2M
    rcbcgreenpanzer_bafa8f91a7.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    Sueya.jpg
    1257 x 886 - 96K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816

Congratulations to everyone! Just like last month, almost every single participant was reconginzed by someone that was reviewing the images for the showcase. All of you (whether you have been showcased or not) are doing an amazing job! heart