March 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

@mike_a5f82f8385 I think you are almost there. You even got the slight tilt of the man's head, the light direction and shadows. Looking for other details, I see that the reference picture man's right foot is flatter on the ground. See if you can spread his left fingers so there are two pairs of fingers together with a gap between them like in the reference. In the reference, the woman's right leg obscures the lower half of her left leg. In the render I can clearly see both legs.

• barbult said:

@mike_a5f82f8385 I think you are almost there. You even got the slight tilt of the man's head, the light direction and shadows. Looking for other details, I see that the reference picture man's right foot is flatter on the ground. See if you can spread his left fingers so there are two pairs of fingers together with a gap between them like in the reference. In the reference, the woman's right leg obscures the lower half of her left leg. In the render I can clearly see both legs.

Thank you. Yeah, haven't quite got my camera angle or focal length quite right. Just took some pics outdoors so will try and integrate into a scene to see how they look.

• mike_from_nzmike_from_nz Posts: 113
    edited March 2017

Ok... insitu version. Struggled a little with lighting now to match photo, but see what you think.

render 1.jpg
    1347 x 990 - 2M
    Post edited by mike_from_nz on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    barbult said:

@nekyo Amazing. Looks spot on to me.

I agree.  The differences are so small and are most likely a difference in the models and not the posing.

Ok... insitu version. Struggled a little with lighting now to match photo, but see what you think.

Male Runner:

Left shin needs to be rotated slightly so the foot is parallel to leg

The left collar needs to come down a bit...the collar on the male in the reference image is a little more rounded.  This will also lower the arm slightly to better match the reference image.

The fingers on the right hand need to be more in line.  It looks like the pinky needs to be brought out a bit...may have slightly too much bend.

Female Figure:

Your female figure’s right arm needs to be bend slightly.  In the reference image the forearm and hand are almost parallel to the ground.

The left shoulder and/or color needs to come forward/twisted slightly.  In the reference image the figure’s arm looks to be close to her chest.  It looks like there is more of a gap between your female figure’s forearm and chest.  I think the collar needs to be dropped a bit and brought forward.

Lighting:

Going by the shadows from the trees it looks like you need to have your light source coming a little more from behind the figures.  Their shadows seem to be more to our right and the trees appear to be at a 45° angle.  If you look at the tree in the background on the left side of the image you can see how the direction of the shadow.  The shadows on the line of trees all blend together making it harder to see where the direction of light.

mike_a5f82f8385 pose image.png
    2456 x 1156 - 4M
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited March 2017

Here is my second version I am trying to match the pose of he middle girl I have changed her shoes as recommended

Original Image

Dancinggirl.jpg
    1397 x 984 - 137K
    Post edited by sueya on
    sueya said:

Here is my second version I am trying to match the pose of he middle girl I have changed her shoes as recommended

Original Image

You are getting much closer.  Putting her in flat shoes will help.

Let's start with her feet and work our way up.  But remember to work up and down from the hips when making your adjustments.

Your figure needs to put her weight on her left foot.  In the reference image the model is carrying her weight on that side.  You might need to give the pelvis a slight tilt swinging the legs towards the camera then adjust the thigh, shin and foot. 

The right leg needs to back slightly.  In the reference image the right leg is slightly behind the left.  Then her foot will need to be bent.  The model in the reference image is on her toes.

The next thing to adjust would be her waist.  The model's shoulders are slightly angled towards the camera.  Once that adjustment is done you will need to fix her arms so that her right hand is placed back on her hip and her left arm needs to be positioned so that it is more in front of her.  In the reference image the model has her left hand on the right shoulder of the girl in front of her.

Matching a pose to a reference image is very difficult but you have done a great job.

edited March 2017

Here is another attempt at copying the middle girl's pose. I have tried to follow the advice above.

Dancinggirl.jpg
    1397 x 984 - 134K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • rcbcgreenpanzerrcbcgreenpanzer Posts: 99
    edited March 2017

Forward Kinematics is hard. frown The following is very work in progress.

referencework in progress render

I've been mostly struggling with her shoulders & arms. I think I ended up twisting them more than they should be, or something. Her hip crease could use work, but that's a small detail that should probably come at the end, along with fixing the poke-through.

Post edited by rcbcgreenpanzer on

Forward Kinematics is hard. frown The following is very work in progress.

referencework in progress render

I've been mostly struggling with her shoulders & arms. I think I ended up twisting them more than they should be, or something. Her hip crease could use work, but that's a small detail that should probably come at the end, along with fixing the poke-through.

Thanks for joining in on the challenge. You are off to a good start. The thing that jumps out at me is that her hands are floating above the ground (you can tell by the shadows). Her thumbs need to point at each other instead of poining forward at the viewer. I'm not sure it you can accomplish that thumb movement with the Daz character rigging or not.You might have to try turning off limits and see if that helps. Try to adjust your lighting to come more from the front to light ip her face. Compare the shadows in the reference image with the shadows in your render to get an idea of the lighing angle differences. I like the way you tried to match the camera angle and horizon location and the woman's agressive expression. Her eyes may be pointing up a little too far. I can't see as much of the iris as in the reference image.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    sueya said:

Here is another attempt at copying the middle girl's pose. I have tried to follow the advice above.

You're getting closer.  :)  The angle of the foot still isn't quite there.  Try twisting the thigh a little so the heel is slightly behind the toes.  Putting the twist in the thigh should bring the whole leg into alignment. You might have to make some slight adjustments to the foot after that if adding the twist moves the foot into the floor.  The hip looks about right but the chest needs to be rotated a little more toward the foot pointed out.  You'll have to adjust the hand on the hip again after that rotation.

• Next version:

render mk 1reference

Errors I can see are her hands aren't quite flat on the ground and her back foot should be further back. Anything else I should do posing-wise?

Next version:

render mk 1reference

Errors I can see are her hands aren't quite flat on the ground and her back foot should be further back. Anything else I should do posing-wise?

Watch the bit sinking into the floor when you make your changes.  I think you're real close.  Adjustimg the hands more and moving the leg further back should get you there.  I think you might have her shoulders hunched too far forward.  I think if you pull those back that might even widen the hands which was my next suggestion.  Not much, just a little bit.  How wide the hands sit is going to depend a lot on the size of your runner and she's a bit smaller than the reference photo so the distance appropriate for her hands are almost there.  I don't think you'll get it exact because their body types are different.  So, you're doing really well with the figure you chose.  It's looking much better.  :)

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited March 2017

Hi, this is my entry.

Handicapped.png
    2100 x 1313 - 3M
    SPORT.jpg
    801 x 534 - 67K
    harrykim said:

Hi, this is my entry.

That looks pretty darn good to me! You got the hands spot on. You even got the artificial limb! And you have him in mid-air. You even have supporting props, background and clothing that evoke the reference image. I think his head should be angled a little more toward the camera. In the reference image I can see part of his left eye socket I think. That is all I can find to nitpick. Good work!

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    edited March 2017

Well, after choosing a particularly challenging challenge for my second attempt, I got great feedback, so I started over with Genesis 3 figures (to get the extra bones/controls) and promptly got myself overwhealmed...even got to the point where Daz Studio just rendered blank images...so I saved it and took a week off. I came back at it, and although still not there, I think I'm closer.  At some point I'll also work on the lighting...and probably then find a whole range of new things to work on.

For the record, this challenge is hard ;-)

pair2.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 711K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
    edited March 2017
    yhzmurphy said:

Well, after choosing a particularly challenging challenge for my second attempt, I got great feedback, so I started over with Genesis 3 figures (to get the extra bones/controls) and promptly got myself overwhealmed...even got to the point where Daz Studio just rendered blank images...so I saved it and took a week off. I came back at it, and although still not there, I think I'm closer.  At some point I'll also work on the lighting...and probably then find a whole range of new things to work on.

For the record, this challenge is hard ;-)

I'm so glad you are still working in this! I have been thinking about it for the last couple days and hoped you hadn't given up. You took on the most challenging pose of all, I think. Starting over with Genesis 3 seems to have paid off. I see nice foot bends now.. The grasping hands look much closer, too. You have done an amazing job with this! I see a few little things that you may still be able to tweak.

I think her upper torso is too bent. It seems to angle down in your render but up in the reference. I don't know how on earth you can change that without totally messing you the hands in relation to the man, though. I don't know if pinning the hands with the Active Pose tool would help or not. You might have to declare "good as I can get" on that torso.

I think her head should twist a little more toward the camera. Or is my eye just tricked by the hair differences?

The girl's right lower leg and foot (up in the air) should twist more toward the camera. In the reference, I can see some of the front of her foot. In the render I see only the side of the foot. I think you can adjust this without disturbing the rest of your carefully positioned pose.

The man's left shoulder/collar seems twisted backwards in your render but forwards in the reference. See how his elbow is pointing at the camera in the reference, but pointing up in the render? This would be another big challenge to attack without messing up the hands.

You mentioned lighting as a task yet to be tackled. The lighting in the render is very dramatic. Do you think it is coming from the upper right, a little behind the man? But this is a posing challenge, so I think it is more important that we can see the pose result, than that you perfectly match the lighting.

Post edited by barbult on

Thanks Barbult!  My computer is spending the rest of the evening re-rendering the yoga classroom scene (after making sure all the feet are firmly on the ground :-) ), but I'll try to spend an evening or two making more progress this week before the challenge is over.  I think I'll also try and figure out the lighting a bit more too - because it will reveal things.  Now that you point it out, the light coming over his shoulder in the original wouldn't show like that in mine, because of the shoulder difference.  Now I'm looking at it and thinking more...

The posing challenge is fascinating on several levels.

Firstly, it takes a lot more work between bothering to render - everything is interconnected, and you tweak one thing and it changes all the related bones.  Adding a light or moving a prop, for me at least, doesn't have the same cascading affect.

Also, it takes a lot more time - one of the pieces of feedback early on, if I recall, was to "budget an hour or two for the hand" and I laughed when I read it, but not laughing now...I find a need to make sure I have a couple of hours clear to really get into making progress (versus tweaking some things and setting it to render while I tend to other things).

Finally, I find that my eye changes with feedback - if that makes sense.  I swear the line of her upper torso looked entirely different [to me] until you pointed it out, and now it is obvious.

Anyhow - just some observations while Daz Studio chugs along in the background.

edited March 2017

Yoga class re-rendered with gravity fully engaged (no floating students).

yogaClass2.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 1023K
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    edited March 2017

Ok, so here is my final render for my 1st pose...I was going to do a different scene for the final render, but I liked the candles and stuff.

One thing I had to change, was the hair. The orange was really bothering me, XD. So I used the orginal hair, just at a smaller scale.

Stretch Final.jpg
    1680 x 1080 - 325K
    Post edited by Aloreea on
    edited March 2017

This is my seocnd pose...

HIP HOP (NEW).jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 477K
    dance-1566852_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 200K
    Aloreea said:

Nice. Only one thing jumps out at me for tweaking. Her right foot needs to meet her right arm closer to the elbow. See how a length of forearm hangs out beyond the foot in the reference, but not in the render

barbult said:
    Aloreea said:

Nice. Only one thing jumps out at me for tweaking. Her right foot needs to meet her right arm closer to the elbow. See how a length of forearm hangs out beyond the foot in the reference, but not in the render

Ah, I see.. Ok be right back

edited March 2017

Here is what I hope will be my final version of my image

Dancinggirlfinal.jpg
    1257 x 886 - 116K
    edited March 2017

Well, still not done, but I think I made progress...although I feel like it's some steps backwards then forwards again.  I've tried to visualize different lines, and ended up looking at the abdominal ridge line and trying to see how that showed the curve/twist of her back.  Also, scale of characters was different - I tried to pick spots on his head versus her knee, etc, to get more of a sense.  Too many variables...argggghhhh....

What I really want is a way to keep their hands together while adjusting the rest of them.  Even if there was something they could both hold onto.  I tried some scripts and other things, but gave up and went back to brute force adjusting everything after each little tweak.

pair3.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 726K

Right away I can see that the girl's right leg twist looks better. Did you try pinning the hands with the Active Pose tool?

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:
    harrykim said:

That looks pretty darn good to me! You got the hands spot on. You even got the artificial limb! And you have him in mid-air. You even have supporting props, background and clothing that evoke the reference image. I think his head should be angled a little more toward the camera. In the reference image I can see part of his left eye socket I think. That is all I can find to nitpick. Good work!

thank you Barbult !  You are right with the head angle. In the reference picture one can see a part of the eyebrow. I have changed it and worked a bit with D-Former on the clothes to come a bit closer to the original.

handicapped1.png
    2100 x 1260 - 3M
    Post edited by harrykim on
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Right away I can see that the girl's right leg twist looks better. Did you try pinning the hands with the Active Pose tool?

Thank-you.  I start out each session by saving a new version so if I really mess it up, I just toss that away.

I did try pinning, and it can hold the pose, but once  you move the arms/people, that pose is no longer the correct one.   It doesn't look like you can pin one person's hand to another's, which is what I really want to do.  I also tried adding a primitive and pointing both hands at it (a little helpful, but not really).  Finally I downloaded and tried a script - mcjAutoLimb2015 - which looks like it's able to tie the position of body parts to objects, but maybe more for animations.  I was thinking I could have them each have their hands attached to primitives, then parent the prims together, but I couldn't get it to work for this for me.  

edited March 2017

Here we go, I've made her foot closer to her elbow.

dance-1566852_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 200K
    New (10).jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 477K

These are all looking really good.

yhzmurphy said:

Well, still not done, but I think I made progress...although I feel like it's some steps backwards then forwards again.  I've tried to visualize different lines, and ended up looking at the abdominal ridge line and trying to see how that showed the curve/twist of her back.  Also, scale of characters was different - I tried to pick spots on his head versus her knee, etc, to get more of a sense.  Too many variables...argggghhhh....

What I really want is a way to keep their hands together while adjusting the rest of them.  Even if there was something they could both hold onto.  I tried some scripts and other things, but gave up and went back to brute force adjusting everything after each little tweak.

Is her thumb on the lower hand poking inside the male figure?  I can't get it big enough for my eyes to see but it looks like it might be.  I think you've mostly got it.  The chest looks a little off but I think it's the size of the breast that is just making it look that way.  One thing you could do is to temporarily reduce the size of the breast on your model to the same size as your reference for comparison.  I think it's there, though.  When you are ready to work on clothing after your posing is all set, you have a touch of poke thru on your female figures pant leg.  

harrykim said:
    barbult said:
    harrykim said:

thank you Barbult !  You are right with the head angle. In the reference picture one can see a part of the eyebrow. I have changed it and worked a bit with D-Former on the clothes to come a bit closer to the original.

This looks really good.  I can't find anything to nitpick.  I do have to ask where you got the prosthetic though.  I don't believe I've seen that anywhere.

Aloreea said:

Here we go, I've made her foot closer to her elbow.

Looks good.  Just for nitpicking, not sure if you want to adjust it as it looks great as it is.  The other foot, the one touching her thigh, isn't quite the same.  I think if you move the thigh toward the outside, just a touch, that will put the thigh in the same position and show a little more of the sole of the shoe like in your reference.  You might also have to put more bend in the foot, not sure if that will cause any poking of the heel into the thigh, though, so keep an eye on that if you decide to modify that.  Other than that, I think it's spot on.  I think it's close enough as it is.

I think your single yoga pose is looking great!  I can't see anything else to nitpick with that one.  :)

Love the final version of the Yoga Class!  Looks great.  

Good going guys!