March 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

This was an interesting set of poses that came from the google search for fighting.  The link is here:  http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/Cage-Shooting-Kickboxing-Martial-Arts-Maza-Boxing-1410906  and is 100% for commercial use.  

How close it is to the original, I can't tell at this point because of the amount of time spent looking at every detail until the tete spins.  What I did try to stay focused on was the weight and balance of the figures, especially the front guy because he was doing most of the action.  Studying the photo it looked like he was twisting his torso with a lot of push off the left foot to create enough power in his punch to cause havoc on the poor recipients face  there seems to be enough partial weight on the right heel to pivot around and to maintain balance.  

Just a wandering thought;;;  Wouldn't it be great that someday maybe in the near future, everyone in the newcomer challanges could use holographic images as references that one could rotate to see the figures from different angles?  Ha ha  until then....      .  

A very dynamic set of poses you have chosen to use.  Interacting figures can be difficult.

Can you post an image without the shirt on the guy doing the punching?  The one in the foreground?  It is difficult to compare his body position to the reference image.  From what I can see of the legs and arms it looks like you have matched the poses quite well.

• bluetidesbluetides Posts: 19
    edited March 2017

This was an interesting set of poses that came from the google search for fighting.  The link is here:  http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/Cage-Shooting-Kickboxing-Martial-Arts-Maza-Boxing-1410906  and is 100% for commercial use.  

How close it is to the original, I can't tell at this point because of the amount of time spent looking at every detail until the tete spins.  What I did try to stay focused on was the weight and balance of the figures, especially the front guy because he was doing most of the action.  Studying the photo it looked like he was twisting his torso with a lot of push off the left foot to create enough power in his punch to cause havoc on the poor recipients face  there seems to be enough partial weight on the right heel to pivot around and to maintain balance.  

Just a wandering thought;;;  Wouldn't it be great that someday maybe in the near future, everyone in the newcomer challanges could use holographic images as references that one could rotate to see the figures from different angles?  Ha ha  until then....      .  

A very dynamic set of poses you have chosen to use.  Interacting figures can be difficult.

Can you post an image without the shirt on the guy doing the punching?  The one in the foreground?  It is difficult to compare his body position to the reference image.  From what I can see of the legs and arms it looks like you have matched the poses quite well.

One thing I found trying to reflect the same dynamics of the original pose was that the limits had to be turned off on many of the joints  Including the body rotations and bends.  I don't know if it looks very real when the shirt is off because of the folds in the torso.  There aren't alot of clothing options in my inventory but let's see if there is something I can come up with that covers the odd body contortions but doesn't hide his body completely as the fire shirt does.  

martial arts guys shirtless test.jpg
    916 x 916 - 676K
    kickboxing-1410906_960_720.jpg
    660 x 571 - 347K
    Post edited by bluetides on
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    nekyo said:

Well, I tried my hand at this contest...I must say, it was way harder than I expected. I'm used to 3D modelling and scene composition, but being restrained to a skeleton and joint system is something else entirely...I have a new respect for pose sets now :P

Original Image Link

This is excellent. The turn of the feet, the hands... very well done. The only thing I see - that may even be a limitation of the model - is the arch of the body. The original torso is more rounded than the model's. It's quite possible that it can't be matched, but if it can - that would be incredible.

Great job!

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    edited March 2017

I've been trying to think of how to use the yoga pose in a scene - this is all I could come up with (yes, yoga pose in a yoga class...extremely creative).  The penguins, while amusing, just didn't have enough bones to pose well...so off to the image searches to find a new pose to work on.

YogaClass.jpg
    1070 x 802 - 648K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
    edited March 2017

One thing I found trying to reflect the same dynamics of the original pose was that the limits had to be turned off on many of the joints  Including the body rotations and bends.  I don't know if it looks very real when the shirt is off because of the folds in the torso.  There aren't alot of clothing options in my inventory but let's see if there is something I can come up with that covers the odd body contortions but doesn't hide his body completely as the fire shirt does.  

There are limitations in the figures that will always limit you from achieving an exact match to a real life person.

One thing I notice I didn't see the first time is the guy being punched in the face, his chin looks like it might be intersecting with his shoulder (or it could just be the camera angle).  He also does not look like he has a neck.  Try rotating his head slightly back to his right (our left as we are looking at the image) and/or moving his head from side to side.  I am not sure which would work better looking at the image.

This will allow you to rotate the torso on the guy delivering the left hook(?) and might help with some of that torso distortion.

Another thing I missed the first time is the left foot on the guy in the foreground.  In the reference image I think he is on about 3/4 of the ball of the foot.  Your figure looks like he is on about 1/4 of the ball...more on the edge.

bluetideN838.png
    2000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    yhzmurphy said:

I've been trying to think of how to use the yoga pose in a scene - this is all I could come up with (yes, yoga pose in a yoga class...extremely creative).  The penguins, while amusing, just didn't have enough bones to pose well...so off to the image searches to find a new pose to work on.

LOL...love the guy in the background...that would be me in a yoga class.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,188
    edited March 2017
    yhzmurphy said:

That guy in the background really adds to the image. It made me smile. Nice work @yhzmurphy.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2017

barbult said:
    yhzmurphy said:

That guy in the background really adds to the image. It made me smile. Nice work @yhzmurphy.

Thank-you Barbult and Kismet - it's definitely me, although I'm not sure I'd even get that far :-)  The real irony is that not only could I not do the yoga, but I took the kids to Denny's for a Grand Slam breakfast while this was rendering.

yhzmurphy said:

Me thinks he needs to go back to beginner yoga class.  Looks very good.  

edited March 2017

Adjusted the left foot so it's more squared to the floor.  And found the missing neck of the second player.yuk yuk  Thanks Kismet :)  Changed the one guy's shirt to a freebie from the g2male collection. Anyone recognize it? It's from an outfit called voyager but without a collar.    I must have had some extra free time today and took advantage of it by building up the narrative with extra people and a cage-like fighting ring ( an oversized volleyball net).  Can't think of anything else. Anybody?

martial arts guys ps.jpg
    916 x 916 - 749K
    kickboxing-1410906_960_720.jpg
    660 x 571 - 347K

Adjusted the left foot so it's more squared to the floor.  And found the missing neck of the second player.yuk yuk  Thanks Kismet :)  Changed the one guy's shirt to a freebie from the g2male collection. Anyone recognize it? It's from an outfit called voyager but without a collar.    I must have had some extra free time today and took advantage of it by building up the narrative with extra people and a cage-like fighting ring ( an oversized volleyball net).  Can't think of anything else. Anybody?

Looks great - and possibly the most creative use of a volleyball net ever :-)

yhzmurphy said:

Kitbashing at it's finest.  yes

• nekyonekyo Posts: 54

Wow, looking really good! Must have been hard to figure out the correct heights for the two characters...one by itself is hard enough -_-

edited March 2017

Rotated the upper leg as suggested. Also tweaked the toes a little bit. I think I've reached the limit of the rig for the shoulder positions - if I try to rotate her resting shoulder, I can't stop it from dropping in height which ends up looking a lot worse. Also tried to smooth out the curve of the body a bit, but it barely helped. I think that's it for this one, I might try another pose with the same girl to get a bit more practice.

china-2042025_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1242 - 200K
    pose01_13.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by nekyo on

At first glance, I said, "Why did @nekyo post the same picture twice?" I had to look again to see that one was the reference and one was your render.

nekyo said:

Rotated the upper leg as suggested. Also tweaked the toes a little bit. I think I've reached the limit of the rig for the shoulder positions - if I try to rotate her resting shoulder, I can't stop it from dropping in height which ends up looking a lot worse. Also tried to smooth out the curve of the body a bit, but it barely helped. I think that's it for this one, I might try another pose with the same girl to get a bit more practice.

That will always be an issue with any of the figures.  You will run into limitations on what can be accomplished without running into major distorations. 

edited March 2017

Ok, this one still has so many flaws even I can see them, but I'm sharing looking for help on how to break it down and approach it, or someone to tell me to abandon it as too difficult.  Or better yet, tell me it's not allowed, since I found it the other night in the image search results, but it took a bit of digging to find it again tonight to post it.  Please, put me out of my misery...

couple1.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 608K

This will be quite a challenge. It is hard enough to get one person posed. To get two posed in such tight interaction will be really hard, I think. But I think you have a real good start already. Don't give up!

I'd suggest twisting her right thigh more toward the camera and bending her pelvis (maybe), and abdomen more to the side to get her trunk more horizontal. His left arm needs to come forward. In the reference his left arm is obscuring part of his head. His left hand and her right had need to clasp each other tighter. I wonder if you can use the pinning in the active pose tool to help with some of this.

edited March 2017

yhzmurphy said:

Kitbashing at it's finest.  yes

Kitbashing, cool, I just learnt a new word!  

nekyo's comment about matching the characters...  I just rescaled the figures until they lined up with each other.  Semi-cheating a bit but, what the hey.  

nekyo said:

The tweeks really helped.  It's true that both pictures look almost the same.

edited March 2017
    yhzmurphy said:

Ok, this one still has so many flaws even I can see them, but I'm sharing looking for help on how to break it down and approach it, or someone to tell me to abandon it as too difficult.  Or better yet, tell me it's not allowed, since I found it the other night in the image search results, but it took a bit of digging to find it again tonight to post it.  Please, put me out of my misery...

You should get a medal of courage yhzmurphy,for doing this pose. Phew.  Biggest thing I notice is the hips on female (and to some degree the male)are rotated more forward in original.   If you could imagine her pants minus her in them, you would see her top belt line would create an oval shape as if you were looking down on them. If that makes any sense.  Also the left knee could rotate back more.  Great start! 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    yhzmurphy said:

Very nice.  The guy in the back really adds to your image.  I did notice, though, that all of the other yoga participants seem to be floating off the floor just a bit.  I'm not sure if that comes from your saved pose or not.  One thing to try and always remember as a last step before saving a pose that should be on the floor is to:

1.  Select your figure in the Scene tab
    2.  On the main menu, select Edit>Figure>Move to Floor
    3.  Make sure feet are planted appropriately
    4.  Save as a pose preset

It is always a good idea to double check where your figures feet are in relation to the floor if they aren't supposed to be floating.  Good job, though, on both the posing and the render. 

nekyo said:

Nice job here!  The right shoulder is not quite like the original.  I would see if you could bring it forward just slightly.  Her left shoulder, the upper one, should be back just slightly.  Her chest is also might need some slight adjustment to match the original but it is harder to tell there as the breast size on your figure is a little larger.  I would rotate it just slightly towards the left side.  Even without those slight changes, this is really close and those are just small nitpicks that are completely up to you.  I think you did an excellent job.

yhzmurphy said:

Wow! That's going to be a tough one!  Good luck!  :)

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    yhzmurphy said:

Challenge = Fun.... And, are you going to have some fun.... smiley

A couple of things I see right away....

1. They are just a little bit too close to each other. I think that will help with the differences in their hand placements from the original.
    2. In the original, their hands are grasping rather than "caressing" each other - likely to hold each other up.
    3. If these are G3 characters, you have more control of the feet. Notice his left foot needs more arch and her feet aren't pointed enough. 
    4. Her hair should be all falling down as in the original. 
    5. His left arm is more curved in front of his body in the original rather than curved over his head.
    6. You might consider reducing her breast size or squishing them a bit, maybe even a tiny droop with respect to gravity.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

yhzmurphy said:

I am going to add my 2 cents worth into the mix here.  Not sure anyone else has mentioned it or if they have then feel free to ignore.

It looks to me like the waist/torso on the female figure has an arch.  Hard to tell looking staight at her and it could just be a trick of the shadows.  But a bit of arch in her back might help with the pelvis tilt Barbult mentioned.

You have taken on quite a challenge.  Good luck.

Thank-you everyone for the helpful suggestions - lots of things to try, and steps to work on without getting overwhelmed by the challenge (well, maybe still a little overwhelmed...ok, a lot).  The are G2 this time, and I can alread see the difference in things like feet between using G3 for the last one and G2 on this.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

I hope it is accetable to just try and pose one figure. This is supposed to be the centre girl. I will add the others if I get time.

Original image

Dancinggirlfinal.jpg
    978 x 689 - 80K
    sueya said:

I hope it is accetable to just try and pose one figure. This is supposed to be the centre girl. I will add the others if I get time.

Original image

It's fine to pose just one. You are well on your way. Now it is time to twiddle with the details. I'd try some flat sport shoes if you have some. I think that will help with the feet. The reference picture girl has her left foot flat on the ground, I think. Check the right hand, In the reference it looks bent backward and pressed on her hip. I think if you rotate her torso a bit more toward the camera, that might help get her right arm in a better position to adjust her hand.

edited March 2017

Wow, I admire those of you tackling multiple figure scenes!

Practice #2 - same model same figure, different pose.I thought this one would be a lot easier since she is standing rather than lying down, but I still found it difficult - the angle of the hips and the foot being pointed and not flat on the ground. I'm starting to enjoy posing more though, it's kind of relaxing :P. Also, made more use of the "powerpose" tool this time around - was really useful for stuff like the fingers and head positioning.

Original source.

Original Image

Render Image

china-2032468_1920.jpg
    1280 x 1920 - 196K
    pose02_08.png
    2000 x 2588 - 6M
    Post edited by nekyo on

@nekyo Amazing. Looks spot on to me.

• mike_from_nzmike_from_nz Posts: 113
    edited March 2017

Ok, I love the idea of this challenge as I have sucked really badly so far at posing so thought I would put some time into viewing some of those resources. Have to say that pinning feature in Daz is a godsend! Have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Anyway, have gone for a couple of runners as my first attempt (a bit lame I know). Can see a lot I need to improve eg. add some sweat and of course need to find a background (eek). I live close to a really nice park so I might go shoot one today.

See what you think...

runners-test-render.jpg
    1532 x 1237 - 193K
    Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 11.25.23 AM.png
    843 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on