March 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    barbult said:
    Aloreea said:
    barbult said:
    Aloreea said:

Ok, here we go...Take 6!! XD

Now I've posed her heels lower to the ground. 

I think you fixed it. Can you edit the post to add the reference image, please? It is hard to compare when the reference and render get separated by so many posts in between.

Ok there we go, just edited it.

That looks really great. Kismet has a better eye for the details than I do, but I think it is perfect. yes

I took a really good look and I cannot see anything to nitpick.  wink

All righty. I think I'm pretty happy with this one. The pose is as close as I can get it, unless some other more experienced user can see anymore errors I should correct. 

You did a really good job.  I know from experience participating in this particular Challenge how hard it is to get a 3D figure to match a pose from a 2D image.

edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Google image searches return different results for different people based on their search history or if they aren't logged in to a Google account.  The "dance posing" search link only has 10 pictures of people dancing for me.

I was not aware of this. Is this documented some place where I can read about it? As an experiment, I logged out of my Google account and I still see many many poses show up when I click the dancing link. I don't know what to advise, other than to select one that you can see, unless someone else knows specifically why your view has been limited.

Here are the top choices I get when I click the link, is this what everyone else has? I didn't see the lady on the tracks in any of mine. I have very few full body poses in the anatomy one, and my dance one turns into landscapes a few lines down! I think the other poster was right that our search results are diffrent. 

http://www.webpresencesolutions.net/7-reasons-google-search-results-vary-dramatically/

I definitely have different results.

Editted to add:  I attached a screenshot of what I get for running.

Running Examples.png
    1368 x 690 - 871K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    barbult said:
    Aloreea said:
    barbult said:
    Aloreea said:

Ok, here we go...Take 6!! XD

Now I've posed her heels lower to the ground. 

I think you fixed it. Can you edit the post to add the reference image, please? It is hard to compare when the reference and render get separated by so many posts in between.

Ok there we go, just edited it.

That looks really great. Kismet has a better eye for the details than I do, but I think it is perfect. yes

I took a really good look and I cannot see anything to nitpick.  wink

Oh my gosh really!? yay! thanks! I appreciate all of the great feedback..that was pretty tough 

• All righty. I think I'm pretty happy with this one. The pose is as close as I can get it, unless some other more experienced user can see anymore errors I should correct. 

You did a really good job.  I know from experience participating in this particular Challenge how hard it is to get a 3D figure to match a pose from a 2D image.

waaahoo!!! Thank you! I don't usually pose from scratch or use female figures, so this was rather more difficult than I imagined. :)

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    barbult said:

Shoot, not a very fun for those of us who have sucky results from the links provided. Just a sugestion but DA has thousands of stock resource images for non commerical use & you can search them by a link - just like the google search. Resources/stock images/models. It would certainly level the playing field and make things more fair. You can further break it down to female/ male child and then full body on all the genders. 

http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/resources/stockart/model/?offset=42

Everything in that link is meant to be a resource for artists. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Google image searches return different results for different people based on their search history or if they aren't logged in to a Google account.  The "dance posing" search link only has 10 pictures of people dancing for me.

I was not aware of this. Is this documented some place where I can read about it? As an experiment, I logged out of my Google account and I still see many many poses show up when I click the dancing link. I don't know what to advise, other than to select one that you can see, unless someone else knows specifically why your view has been limited.

Here are the top choices I get when I click the link, is this what everyone else has? I didn't see the lady on the tracks in any of mine. I have very few full body poses in the anatomy one, and my dance one turns into landscapes a few lines down! I think the other poster was right that our search results are diffrent. 

http://www.webpresencesolutions.net/7-reasons-google-search-results-vary-dramatically/

Thanks for the explanatory link. This is the top results I get for the dancing link. It is nearly identical to yours, I think, except two images are in a different order.

Edit: I scrolled a ways through the posing link and didn't see the lady on the tracks either, but I added "squat" to the search request (Anatomy posing squat) and she was the first one at the beginning of the results, so I feel confident that she is there and a valid image for the challenge.

dancing poses.JPG
    1254 x 824 - 155K
    anatomy posing squat.JPG
    1251 x 748 - 166K
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

Shoot, not a very fun for those of us who have sucky results from the links provided. Just a sugestion but DA has thousands of stock resource images for non commerical use & you can search them by a link - just like the google search. Resources/stock images/models. It would certainly level the playing field and make things more fair. You can further break it down to female/ male child and then full body on all the genders. 

http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/resources/stockart/model/?offset=42

Everything in that link is meant to be a resource for artists. 

Maybe next time this posing challenge comes around we will have to look at other sources of reference images. I will pass your suggestion along.

I updated the first post in this challenge to include the extra search links that Ann provided in a separate message. With all these search links, everyone should be able to find something to use.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited March 2017

Next try. 
    Unfortunaly the skirt hides most of her leg. To bad a don't have the correct ballerina dress. indecision
    I will start a nother render and hope to adjust the skirt in a position that allows a better look on the feetposition.

Blue 2.jpg
    1920 x 1186 - 182K
    Post edited by daybird on
    daybird said:

Next try. 
    Unfortunaly the skirt hides most of her leg. To bad a don't have the correct ballerina dress. indecision
    I will start a nother render and hope to adjust the skirt in a position that allows a better look on the feetposition.

I think the skirt transparency shows the leg pretty well. I woudn't worry about that.

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

I updated the first post in this challenge to include the extra search links that Ann provided in a separate message. With all these search links, everyone should be able to find something to use.

Thank-you!  That means I get to use the image I was hoping for...

penguin.jpg
    1076 x 1077 - 452K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    barbult said:

Thank you so much! I got much better results with these

Good. I'm glad you both have found more to choose from, and choices to inspire you.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Just popping in.  I'm very happy to see so much progress made on all of the images.  Fortunately, I don't see anything I get to nitpick on because they are all practically perfect now!  You guys have done your first poses so quickly.  I'm looking forward to seeing the final renders with your poses.  Looks like there will be time for second poses for those who want to do them.  :)

edited March 2017

Just popping in.  I'm very happy to see so much progress made on all of the images.  Fortunately, I don't see anything I get to nitpick on because they are all practically perfect now!  You guys have done your first poses so quickly.  I'm looking forward to seeing the final renders with your poses.  Looks like there will be time for second poses for those who want to do them.  :)

Oh yay!! Ok I have one more pose that I want to try... Here is an almost finished render of it so far

I didn't copy the oufit exactly, because I wanted to do something a little original for her clothing.

dance-1566852_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 200K
    5689.jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 577K
    Post edited by Aloreea on
    edited March 2017
    Aloreea said:

Oh yay!! Ok I have one more pose that I want to try... Here is an almost finished render of it so far

I didn't copy the oufit exactly, because I wanted to do something a little original for her clothing.

I am going to start at the hips and work my way down and then up.  The hips are the pivot point which is why I am going to do it this way.

First thing I see is that the model's hips/pelivs in the reference image is turned approximately 3/4 to the camera (facing the right bottom corner of the image more or less).  Your figure's hips/pelvis is facing almost perpendicular to the camera (facing the side border of the image).

Her right leg might need adjusting but at the current angle I cannot tell for sure.

Going up the torso looks like it follows the reference image but the jacket and the camera angle are obscuring things so it is hard to tell for sure there as well.

Her left hand looks like it needs some more bend.  In the reference image the model has just thrown some powder.  It looks like you have the placement of her fingers exactly as the reference model but the hand isn't bent quite as far.  Look at the palms and the C made by the index finger and thumb to see where they are facing in both images.  That might help.

I took these images into GIMP and placed them side by side.  This might help to show what I mean about your figure's hip angle in relation to the camera.

Aloreea Pose Image.png
    3500 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Aloreea said:

I am going to start at the hips and work my way down and then up.  The hips are the pivot point which is why I am going to do it this way.

First thing I see is that the model's hips/pelivs in the reference image is turned approximately 3/4 to the camera (facing the right bottom corner of the image more or less).  Your figure's hips/pelvis is facing almost perpendicular to the camera (facing the side border of the image).

Her right leg might need adjusting but at the current angle I cannot tell for sure.

Going up the torso looks like it follows the reference image but the jacket and the camera angle are obscuring things so it is hard to tell for sure there as well.

Her left hand looks like it needs some more bend.  In the reference image the model has just thrown some powder.  It looks like you have the placement of her fingers exactly as the reference model but the hand isn't bent quite as far.  Look at the palms and the C made by the index finger and thumb to see where they are facing in both images.  That might help.

I took these images into GIMP and placed them side by side.  This might help to show what I mean about your figure's hip angle in relation to the camera.

Ok, thanks the side by side view is way better to see. Hmm, I have alot to fix, be back in a bit

edited March 2017

Ok, here's a second attempt.. I hid her jacket and change the shirt temporarily.

dance-1566852_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 200K
    New123569.jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 669K
    Aloreea said:

Ok, here's a second attempt.. I hid her jacket and change the shirt temporarily.

Um nevermind ignore this one you guys..I uploaded the wrong oneblush

edited March 2017

Ok, here it is..found it!

dance-1566852_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 200K
    New oe.jpg
    1680 x 1320 - 595K
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

The final render.smiley
    I have done a few small adjustments on her feets and the background. Also I give do my best, to bend the dress in a proper position, but now I think I'm on the limit with the genesis 2 figure. 

All trys to bring her hip and feet in a better position, producting extrem distortions at the body.surprise

Ballett final.jpg
    1920 x 1186 - 335K
    Ballet-Ballerina-1843.jpg
    2816 x 1872 - 1M
  • nekyonekyo Posts: 54
    edited March 2017

Well, I tried my hand at this contest...I must say, it was way harder than I expected. I'm used to 3D modelling and scene composition, but being restrained to a skeleton and joint system is something else entirely...I have a new respect for pose sets now :P

Original Image Link

Original Image

Daz Render

china-2042025_1920.jpg
    1920 x 1242 - 200K
    pose01_10.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by nekyo on
    edited March 2017
    nekyo said:

Well, I tried my hand at this contest...I must say, it was way harder than I expected. I'm used to 3D modelling and scene composition, but being restrained to a skeleton and joint system is something else entirely...I have a new respect for pose sets now :P

Original Image Link

Original Image

Daz Render

That looks mighty good. I can't see anything to suggest.

Post edited by barbult on
  • bluetidesbluetides Posts: 19
    nekyo said:

Original Image Link

Original Image

Daz Render

It looks great how you not only reproduced the pose but also got the girl to look similar right down to the hair style and clothes.  Nice job.  I wonder though if the supporting shoulder is a little farther forward in the original.photo.compared to your model.  The left knee maybe needs a little extra twist outwards to better match the rotation in the comp leg.  But looks good overall.  

Everyone else who has already started their entries have come along ways in a short amount of time.  I'll be jumping in shortly with my own attempt.and, I agree   Nekyo, it is way harder than it looks. lol  

• bluetidesbluetides Posts: 19
    edited March 2017

This was an interesting set of poses that came from the google search for fighting.  The link is here:  http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/Cage-Shooting-Kickboxing-Martial-Arts-Maza-Boxing-1410906  and is 100% for commercial use.  

How close it is to the original, I can't tell at this point because of the amount of time spent looking at every detail until the tete spins.  What I did try to stay focused on was the weight and balance of the figures, especially the front guy because he was doing most of the action.  Studying the photo it looked like he was twisting his torso with a lot of push off the left foot to create enough power in his punch to cause havoc on the poor recipients face  there seems to be enough partial weight on the right heel to pivot around and to maintain balance.  

Just a wandering thought;;;  Wouldn't it be great that someday maybe in the near future, everyone in the newcomer challanges could use holographic images as references that one could rotate to see the figures from different angles?  Ha ha  until then....      .  

kickboxing-1410906_960_720.jpg
    660 x 571 - 347K
    martial arts guy 4a.jpg
    916 x 916 - 626K
    Post edited by bluetides on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    nekyo said:

Original Image Link

Original Image

Daz Render

wow, I had to look twice to see which one was the original and the copy ! Good work!

Aloreea said:

Ok, here it is..found it!

This is looking very close but I see a few very minor adjustments.

Your figure's right leg needs to come down closer to her left foot.  In the reference image the heel of the left foot is almost completely hidden by the thight of the right leg.  This will mean an adjustment to the right arm which in the reference image is lower.

The left hand needs a slight bend to the C formed by her index finger and thumb are angled slightly towards her head.

This is just a cosmetic suggestion and can be ignored if you choose.  Because your figure is wearing so much white a darker background will make her stand out better...even a dark version of the colour you are currently using will help.

I love the dynamics of her hair and the addition of the headphones around her neck.  These little touches are making this image unique to you.

daybird said:

The final render.smiley
    I have done a few small adjustments on her feets and the background. Also I give do my best, to bend the dress in a proper position, but now I think I'm on the limit with the genesis 2 figure. 

All trys to bring her hip and feet in a better position, producting extrem distortions at the body.surprise

There will always be limitations when using a 3D figure but you have matched your reference image amazingly well.  I love the job you did trying to match the tutu in the reference image.  A very nice touch.  I cannot find anything to suggest to improve the posing.

nekyo said:

Original Image Link

Original Image

Daz Render

The only suggestion I can find for your image is for the raised leg.  The thigh needs to be rotated slightly so the knee is pointing a little more towards your figure's head.  Then the shin needs to be rotated slightly the other way to correct the foot's angle.