Keep Calm : There's always another Sale (Daily Sale Talk)

Comments

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I mean... if a brand new version of Office was selling next to a version from a decade ago and the price was the same for either - I'm only buying the old version if there is some compelling reason I can't *avoid* that makes me NEED the old version. Even Generation 4 stuff should be blowout bargain basement prices as regular retail list price. 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I keep searching for an analogy, and I want to use cars... It would be as if BMW tried to sell an 80's 325i right along side a modern 325i for the same price. 

At some point, I'd wonder, "So, if the modern one has all of these new technologies that makes it so much better, what justifies pricing the old one a the same price as the new one?" 

But... I think if a car maker did that, they WOULD price it that way, and say, "some people don't like the modern technology and conveniences, they want a purer, more original experience, something more raw and visceral... and we cater to that smaller market by making custom retro versions of our cars that command a premium price tag in part due to their limited appeal and production numbers... blah blah blah..." 

But I'm not sure that creatively hiding seams and bad joint geometry, messing with hair fits and poses, and figuring out how to make the whole thing render photorealistically with shaders and lighting is the same as a "pure driving experience" versus a "technology assisted one." It is fun to take something really old and get it to work today... if it is CHEAP. But if it is the same price, just give me the one-click solution that I don't have to fight with. 

So my analogy keeps breaking down. 
    :) 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,754
    edited April 2017

Good analogy if you're talking about a CLASSIC car and retaining value. Are these products classics?

And if so, classic because they were popular and everybody already has them? Or 'Were always expensive so now is the time to get them at discount'.

That's the equivalent of almost buying used.

I think to use their original price in the 'you're saving THIS much!' is unrealistic. Who's paying +$100 for anything that old?

'specially when it says for GENESIS. good grief.

Even Genesis 2 is somewhat of a pushback.

---- I say bomb out that old inventory and the only product they should have probably linked to- was the new fit all.

Cause obviously, buying that is supposed to revitalize all those old products..

SOOO some of the ladies on here are quite skilled at turning old into young and really transforming old textures/shaders/surfaces etc...

But as a newbie, I don't think I want to tread down that road- even newly-armed with Fit-all.

This sale is a day late anyway. It should have started with the RELEASE of Fit All....

AND there are VERY FEW new product choices. I grabbed the new figure bundle and that leaves me nothing but gamer's licenses.

That happened during MM too- where in one day you can clear out anything new of interest. Then what? Miss every deal or get something you DON'T WANT to save 10 more %.

-----------------------

I think we deeserve a break AFTER March Madness. And put some really cheap (really old if you need to) wares and let the overall wallets recouperate. lol

That MICK castle set is expensive and putting more items in the cart STILL causes the final cart price to rise.

So Daz gets the same amount from me, but I get more stuff.

Free salad and breadsticks before the pricey main course. lol

----------

I don't have any answers for this and my brain hurts too much to work so hard ona smoother shopping experience.

Day before yesterday I got burned twice

- 1) The cart prices not being completely right and

-2) Offering another fastgrab deal AFTER I garbbed all the front page's items of interest.

So today I loaded my cart early and I'm letting it sit (just past the new fastgrab usual turnover) just to be sure there's no Daz flips coming.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Llynara said:

I pulled the trigger, especially for the Jim Burton stuff. Those rarely go on sale.

Depends on what you mean by "rarely."smiley  I got the Jim Burton bundle on Jan 29 for less than 10 bucks.  The morphing can be finiky, but it was still worth it.  Even used it in the last Carrara Challenge!

Credits:  V3 (Ingenue Vickie) are the dancers, V3 (Glamorous Vicki) is the French resistance gal, M3 is the Nazi, the audience members are all V3, M3 and A3.   Everything done in Carrara.  No modeling or use of other programs.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,769

Here is the thing about Generation 3 bundles... 

Their regular price really should be $4 for a Victoria 3 Pro Bundle that includes the glamorous wardrobe pack *and* the V3 body and face morphs. Vicki 3 and Aiko 3 and M3 and L3 and Millenium Girls and all of that stuff is just so old and difficult to work with that in my opinion, having the retail price for those bundles at $50-$150 isn't reasonable. 

At $4 each and you need to buy two new releases from a specific SET of new releases, that kind of deal isn't really that exciting to me. 

If I could get them for $4 each and I could pick ANY single new release including $2.99 "Big Bill Pose Set" type items... 

Then I MIGHT impulse buy it. 

Agreed.  There are several PA items for V3 that have been on my W/L  for about 9 years that I would happily buy for $4, but they've never gotten much below $8...

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    avxp said:
    'specially when it says for GENESIS. good grief.

lol... Your "newbie-ness" is showing. wink (said affectionately, in case the wink smilie doesn't convey that...)

Genesis is only four or so years away from being the new kid on the DAZ block, for about 2 years, I think. (Wasn't here then, so I'm extrapolating...) But the generation 4 characters (V4/M4/etc.) were the latest around here for as many years as the entire Genesis line combined, (maybe longer?) making the generation 3 characters (V3/M3/etc.) at least 12 years old now. It's important to note, however, (and based on what I've read, not personal experience,) the older generations are still used a lot in Poser. Filter the Shop with the vendor RuntimeDNA and you'll see a lot of Poser and V4/M4 products. (RuntimeDNA was bought out by DAZ in early 2016.)

But I understand how you feel about the older products. As a someone who is only using Daz Studio, (for now,) I feel the same way about old content for my use.

avxp said:
    So today I loaded my cart early and I'm letting it sit (just past the new fastgrab usual turnover) just to be sure there's no Daz flips coming.

I'm a PC+ member, and I've learned to hold off on buying the PC+ new releases just for that reason. If I want the 99¢ "related offer," I make sure to buy one item before the end of the week, but the new release discount is good for two weeks. That leaves me with an inexpensive product to trigger any offer that only requires a new release purchase. (Last May, DAZ had a gift card sale where the more new releases you bought the more you saved, maximum of 20% with 4 new releases. I used 4 newly released RDNA items and spent $8.36 to trigger the highest discount!)

I keep searching for an analogy, and I want to use cars... It would be as if BMW tried to sell an 80's 325i right along side a modern 325i for the same price. 

Look to consumer electronics. Early adopters of the latest greatest pay though the nose. But a year or two later, the prices are far less as newer tech is released. The first plasma screen TV's were several thousands of dollars to purchase, but a few years later, I picked up a 42" widescreen plasma TV for about $1500. And look how fast computer CPUs go down in price. Anyone willing to buy a computer system with last year's hot CPUs can save hundreds of dollars on their new computer system. The beast I bought last October for rendering is the first computer I've ever purchased with a current generation CPU, RAM, and video card. Even when I was building my own computers, back in the 90's!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2017

Here is the thing about Generation 3 bundles... 

Their regular price really should be $4 for a Victoria 3 Pro Bundle that includes the glamorous wardrobe pack *and* the V3 body and face morphs. Vicki 3 and Aiko 3 and M3 and L3 and Millenium Girls and all of that stuff is just so old and difficult to work with that in my opinion, having the retail price for those bundles at $50-$150 isn't reasonable. 

At $4 each and you need to buy two new releases from a specific SET of new releases, that kind of deal isn't really that exciting to me. 

If I could get them for $4 each and I could pick ANY single new release including $2.99 "Big Bill Pose Set" type items... 

Then I MIGHT impulse buy it. 

I bought a couple of items to qualify, in part because I wanted the fit to.

I find myself looking at the $45 bundle from today, and thinking it is much better value than the$25 ish I spent yesterday. I'll probably return what i got yesterday.

EDIT:

I have done; basically, it left a bad taste in my mouth, having to spend so much to qualify.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,254
    edited April 2017

Ha. Fast Grab has changed and the Bundles are gone. BUT they forgot to take down the special ad on the scrolling banner.

ETA: Banner ad is gone now

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,754
    edited April 2017

lol... Your "newbie-ness" is showing.

You don't know the pain. BUYING everything that looked cool when I first started using Daz and NOT understanding the generations...

Thinking M3 was Gen3 since they both had 'threes' in the name....

Using Genesis items and the feet bust through the shoes....her ankles spread in heels....sleeves not going in jackets....

Poses only working up to a point. Yep the legs are right, but the arms are still crucifixed out. lol

Hair sitting inside the head. All of that is why I stopped using Poser years ago....Couldn't get hats on heads....wigs looked crazy..yuck....

So yep, I'm shell-shocked frrom anything Genesis. lol

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • Huh.  The Evan that came out today uses the same eye texture that Second-Circle uses for many of her girls.  Very distictive blood patterns in them.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
    avxp said:

You don't know the pain. BUYING everything that looked cool when I first started using Daz and NOT understanding the generations...

Using Genesis items and the feet bust through the shoes....her ankles spread in heels....sleeves not going in jackets....

Poses only working up to a point. Yep the legs are right, but the arms are still crucifixed out. lol

Hair sitting inside the head. All of that is why I stopped using Poser years ago....Couldn't get hats on heads....wigs looked crazy..yuck....

We all went thru that at the beginning, LOL

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    avxp said:

We all went thru that at the beginning, LOL

Oh yes I can still remember trying to work out how to put clothes onto my Poser people,  Poser 3 that was, way back when.  And hardly anyone had internet in them days,  it was searching through computer mags to see if anyone had written anything about it. 1998 or so it was.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Oh, I have so been there! Took me a while to figure out too.

Huh.  The Evan that came out today uses the same eye texture that Second-Circle uses for many of her girls.  Very distictive blood patterns in them.

Could be that they used the same merchant resource. That's not uncommon. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    avxp said:

Laugh smilie

Oh, yes, I've been there, (as have we all!) And not all that long ago, either.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited April 2017
    timetwist said:

The only way to really use these on a newer figure would be to either convert the texture to the newer UV format or have a clone tool that adds the older UV set as an option on the newer figure.  Then you could use a geometry shell and apply the matrial to that.  (You need to change the UV set in the surfaces section if using the second method.)

I'm running into trouble now trying to get the Rogue outfits onto the V3 Ultra Catsuit which is the required product that Rogue goes onto. I used the Wear Them All for the catsuit, but the Rogue materials don't apply at all.  (They are pz2)  When I click on them, there's no option to convert them. How do I convert the texture to the newer UV format? (the catsuit says Default UVs and the click the cog doesn't do anything to try and change it in Surfaces.)

I'm not doing geometry shells, if it's that much work, it's not worth it.  I'm about ready to return all these, the files are all over the place and taking too much time to bother with, then these aren't working when I get to them.

Post edited by Novica on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Novica said:
    timetwist said:

The only way to really use these on a newer figure would be to either convert the texture to the newer UV format or have a clone tool that adds the older UV set as an option on the newer figure.  Then you could use a geometry shell and apply the matrial to that.  (You need to change the UV set in the surfaces section if using the second method.)

I'm running into trouble now trying to get the Rogue outfits onto the V3 Ultra Catsuit which is the required product that Rogue goes onto. I used the Wear Them All for the catsuit, but the Rogue materials don't apply at all.  (They are pz2)  When I click on them, there's no option to convert them. How do I convert the texture to the newer UV format? (the catsuit says Default UVs and the click the cog doesn't do anything to try and change it in Surfaces.)

I'm not doing geometry shells, if it's that much work, it's not worth it.  I'm about ready to return all these, the files are all over the place and taking too much time to bother with, then these aren't working when I get to them.

Which product is it? This is a second skin as described above, like the SexySkinz  lace bodysuit, only without the LIE technology; it only work on V3 or whatever magic you use to make G3F take V3 textures: https://www.daz3d.com/v3-rogue-archer

This product included both textures for the catsuit and a mail second skin, if you are clicking on the mail second skin then it won't work except as stated above: https://www.daz3d.com/v3-rogue-pack

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,684

I'm beginning to think it's best to just use older content for Poser, IN Poser... Maybe when you're done, bring the whole scene into DS and add IRay shaders. (Assuming you have Poser...)

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

I'm beginning to think it's best to just use older content for Poser, IN Poser... Maybe when you're done, bring the whole scene into DS and add IRay shaders. (Assuming you have Poser...)

Been using Poser content reasonably successfully in Daz since 2009, without ever touching Poser. It does require you to either manually reorganize the files in the handful of directories that are relevant to Daz users (character, pose-meaning both poses and materials-and props. Hair is also useful but fairly fool proof and doesn't need reorganizing) or you need to add them to the Allegedly Smart Content categorization system (which I don't bother with, because it wouldn't work consistently the last time I tried to mess with it) in order to find them.

Is it worth the hassle to set up, if you're used to Allegedly Smart Content, or to the comparatively intuitive way Genesis 1-3 content is set up in the Daz content directories? That's for you to decide. But it's certainly not impossible.

I started with poser and didn't get into DS until 4 years later. Over half my content is in poser format and runtimes. I have all my poser runtimes in one area on my PC and then the normal DS area and format. I still have poser 2014 installed, but never use it.

runtimes.jpg
    454 x 507 - 109K
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,684

I started with poser and didn't get into DS until 4 years later. Over half my content is in poser format and runtimes. I have all my poser runtimes in one area on my PC and then the normal DS area and format. I still have poser 2014 installed, but never use it.

I started with DS during last year's March Madness but first began "playing" with Poser starting with Poser 3 because that's all you could really do back then, is play... I have spent the last year trying pseudo-successfully to learn DS, but to me Poser is infinitely easier although there are many features I do like with DS, especially IRay. I really dislike 3Delight so far, can't get the hang of good lighting. 

I think I'm going to go back to Poser though for non-IRay Poser compatible products because my work doesn't really require the realism of IRay and I postwork the hell out of renders to make them look like illustrations half the time anyway. I do love IRay though, but since I'm CPU only, it's very frustrating. I really hope DS 5 will have some sort of cloud renderer/render farm capability or the MAC external NVIDIA capable boxes get cheaper and more reliable... Maybe if I stop spending money here for a while, I can afford the box though and actually render all the IRay content I now have and not have it take up to 24 hours to render a simple character with no background... And if Daz would come out with an actual MANUAL with screenshots instead of random video tutorials and only partially documented info, I would be a lot more enthusiastic about it... Sorry, OT, but I think I will grumble forever about the lack of a manual LOL...

See I find Poser unintuative and clumsy now that I am used to DS. When Reality was released for poser a few years back I bought a copy and dusted off poser to give it a shot since I rendered everything with Reality and Lux already in DS. I quickly relized that Poser wasn't going to work for me any longer because of the clumsy UI, the horrible library manager, node based material room and the hoops I had to jump thru to get genesis content to work. I don't know why i still keep it installed, maybe because i have a soft spot for it since I used it for so long. I do like rendering in Cycles/Superfly, but it still takes longer to set up a scene than it does with DS for me. Anyhoo, if you are into postwork, i guess it really doesn't matter to much what renderer you use.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I returned the Wear Them All (I have all the other editions, never used them) and the old products I bought yesterday. I found it wasted too much time trying to find the files (download manually just to see the file paths, then try to figure that out, then some require additional steps from there.) I have hundreds of older content already so it's not like I can't put the other Wear Them All to good use, but if it's been four years and I haven't used that old stuff, I don't need to waste time getting frustrated by adding even more. At least this time I took an entire day to sort it out and see if I would use it. Nope. Already filed a complete return on the order with Support.

I've also decided to test everything I buy within thirty days. (Test, not necessarily render all the way) MM is making that hard to do, but these old products' files wouldn't get found in 30 days, much less rendered and problems tackled/found. If it isn't relaxing, fun to work with, as advertised,  and without issues-  it isn't in my runtime, back it goes now.

So here's the question- do you render your new purchases within 30 days? I would say about 10% up to now, but that changed as of a few weeks ago. I don't show everything I test on my thread as I don't let the renders finish, but I do test it.

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

Just FYI

I Uploaded the @Stonemason s Willow Creek Review to my Chanel.

Next up are @Alessandro_AM s Rodents

Novica said:
    So here's the question- do you render your new purchases within 30 days? I would say about 10% up to now, but that changed as of a few weeks ago. I don't show everything I test on my thread as I don't let the renders finish, but I do test it.

I don't do it yet, but i really want to

I got much better at it recently, mainly thatnks to the preparation for my Review Videos

I have a Post MM resultion that I don't buy more than I can test AND categorize properly. Since I have not bought anything since MM ended Im good so far ;-)

• @Renomista: Good kind of resolution. Might need to find a similar one myself ;-)

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078

Today's sale wouldn't be bad if I had any store credits left after MM. laugh

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Novica said:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I returned the Wear Them All (I have all the other editions, never used them) and the old products I bought yesterday. I found it wasted too much time trying to find the files (download manually just to see the file paths, then try to figure that out, then some require additional steps from there.) I have hundreds of older content already so it's not like I can't put the other Wear Them All to good use, but if it's been four years and I haven't used that old stuff, I don't need to waste time getting frustrated by adding even more. At least this time I took an entire day to sort it out and see if I would use it. Nope. Already filed a complete return on the order with Support.

I've also decided to test everything I buy within thirty days. (Test, not necessarily render all the way) MM is making that hard to do, but these old products' files wouldn't get found in 30 days, much less rendered and problems tackled/found. If it isn't relaxing, fun to work with, as advertised,  and without issues-  it isn't in my runtime, back it goes now.

I've returned the fit to Generation 3 and other products I bought; not everything worked, and I was really objecting to the buy to items to qualify to get seriously old stuff cheap (but what was actually about what it was worth to me, so not cheap);

Yes, rarely now don't check something out; I buy less, in part to ensure I do check it all. I'm not saying I render it all (I don't) but I do load it up - oh and old stuff - finding it seriously sucks. Think it is the main reason I never got on with Poser; I saw what folks did with it and was impressed, but it just never clicked for me. Using old stuff kind of reminds me of that frustration - I don't need it.

Ati said:

Today's sale wouldn't be bad if I had any store credits left after MM. laugh

It is realy nice, beside the fact tghat i was batshit crazy in the 2016 MM and there is not so much left to buy ;-)

BTW @Ati : I just bought your graphical novel on Amazon yesterday. Its really nice!

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    Renomista said:

BTW @Ati : I just bought your graphical novel on Amazon yesterday. Its really nice!

Wow, thanks! Book 2 is coming... only 200 more renders... and a couple of re-renders... :) Which sounds like a lot, but 800 already done, so it's actually pretty good.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,448
    Ati said:
    Renomista said:

Wow, thanks! Book 2 is coming... only 200 more renders... and a couple of re-renders... :) Which sounds like a lot, but 800 already done, so it's actually pretty good.

Do you have  link to your book handy?

This discussion has been closed.