Keep Calm : There's always another Sale (Daily Sale Talk)

Comments

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Even if you have the money - there is a point where you go, "Well, that is a good enough deal," or... "That is too much money to spend on pretend clothes for pretend people so I can make art that I'm only getting paid for in pretend money." 

:) 

March Madness only found that balance for me a few times. And deals like today don't tempt me at all - for all the reasons noted above. This is why Rendo very rarely gets my business - their sales either aren't deep enough cuts *or* I don't know how to make them work to get there. In either case, my purchases at Rendo are a fraction of what I've spent at DAZ. 

I agree - there was VERY little deep discounting, and prices seemed to edge upward this sale - I think there wasn't much G2 oriented product at all this time around... very little Pro Bundle discounting, and it wasn't very aggressive, even for Generation 4 lines like V4 and M4. 

The only thing I can say about that is it makes me happy that I did get so much of my library at such tremendous discount. I wasn't sure if I was just being tricked into thinking I had saved so much and that the real value was what I paid, or not. Now I know... there are lots of people willing to pay that much for old Generation 4 content and characters. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Not to mention that I need a new external harddisk more than I need more content (except for one or two things that have been announced over in the products forum), so there's more incentive to not-buy right there.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2017
    Nath said:

Not to mention that I need a new external harddisk more than I need more content (except for one or two things that have been announced over in the products forum), so there's more incentive to not-buy right there.

Don't buy an external hard drive; buy a normal mechanical one, and a hard drive enclosure. Or there are docking stations and similar. An external hard drive tends to be more expensive, and generally they aren't easy to swap for a different drive, if it is even possible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-inch-U3PD-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B00BHARA6O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1492110456&sr=8-15&keywords=hard+drive+caddy

That particular one I returned and got another similar one; that brand tho I have as a 2.5 inch enclose for SSDs - so is likely decent enough and I was just unlucky.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,713
    edited April 2017

Did I hallucinate or were there a SimTenero and someone else I don't recall Flash sale a little while ago today?

EDIT: Never mind, I was looking at another tab opened long ago, after a refresh it showed up.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    Taozen said:

Did I hallucinate or were there a SimTenero and someone else I don't recall Flash sale a little while ago today?

Its still there  https://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-thephilosopher-flash-sale

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    Taozen said:

It is still going on 50% off or 60% off with new release: https://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-thephilosopher-flash-sale

nicstt said:
    Nath said:

Don't buy an external hard drive; buy a normal mechanical one, and a hard drive enclosure. Or there are docking stations and similar. An external hard drive tends to be more expensive, and generally they aren't easy to swap for a different drive, if it is even possible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-inch-U3PD-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B00BHARA6O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1492110456&sr=8-15&keywords=hard+drive+caddy

That particular one I returned and got another similar one; that brand tho I have as a 2.5 inch enclose for SSDs - so is likely decent enough and I was just unlucky.

Funny thing is it wouldn't make that much difference in price if I buy from a local chain, and Amazon etc shipping kills the deal (not to mention that I'd probably get done for import duty and VAT)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Nath said:
    nicstt said:
    Nath said:

Funny thing is it wouldn't make that much difference in price if I buy from a local chain, and Amazon etc shipping kills the deal (not to mention that I'd probably get done for import duty and VAT)

You have a local amazon I presume? :)

nicstt said:
    Nath said:
    nicstt said:
    Nath said:

You have a local amazon I presume? :)

Semi-local, but they add the VAT for you (so nice of them). I'll look at some other webshops though, both for internal/casing combo's and external drives

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268

I'm debating whether to just get the Wear Them All expansion by itself or whether to buy it with the Expressions Randomizer for the extra discount. There are only a couple of items in the 85% off bonus that I'm interested in and I don't really need them.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Well, the 85% off was a deciding factor for me because I added up what I'd be paying if those items were each a dollar or two more, and if you buy enough of the older content, it brought the price down of the new releases to about $6-$8 each. (when calculating what you're saving on the other, and the discount applied for buying two which is 20%.) And the discount on the older stuff was still about 70-75% when I raise it a dollar or so. There's a jogging/athletic outfit that doesn't have the stupid low slung waist (SICK of those) and several other items that are IMO better made than some of the items recently. Think shaders (Uber Base and make it Iray first) and there's some really fascinating stuff. If you do get anything, look at the Victoria catsuit because some of the neat uniform items require it. 

And I got a Gift Card when it was around 20%, right when the MM was ending. Plus some returns as I am not tweaking (a aka, here's a "fix.")  a darned thing now, if something is wrong, back it goes the same day.) 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Yeah, those discounts on the old stuff are some of the best I've ever seen. I've been looking at many of these items for quite a while, and some of them I've never seen this low. Definitely a good time to grab items from Luthbell, Jim Burton, Uzilite and some of the others that rarely go on sale. GREAT deals!

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,500
    Llynara said:

Yeah, those discounts on the old stuff are some of the best I've ever seen. I've been looking at many of these items for quite a while, and some of them I've never seen this low. Definitely a good time to grab items from Luthbell, Jim Burton, Uzilite and some of the others that rarely go on sale. GREAT deals!

Yeah, I'm reluctant to spend so much money... but these old items *never, ever go on sale*, especially at a discount like this.

Heh. This was the hardest description of stacking discounts to follow *ever* in this thread. 

Took me a while to figure out that you're coming up with the savings you suggest by averaging savings on other items over your whole basket... you can't *really* get it down to $6-$8 each. :) 

You guys should share screenshots of your carts - so the rest of us know where to look for the best prices. :) 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

there's quite a few of the older products at 85% off that i would love to get.....but all the items in the new releases section are too expensive for me to get two. 

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,500
    jakiblue said:

there's quite a few of the older products at 85% off that i would love to get.....but all the items in the new releases section are too expensive for me to get two. 

I'm picking up the randomizer as my second item as an investment. If it works as advertised, it will be amazingly good for removing that default 'blank stare' in various portraits :)

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017

I pulled the trigger, especially for the Jim Burton stuff. Those rarely go on sale. Finally got the David base too. Ended up putting a lot back but happy with what I got. I did get Wear Them all and the Randomizer as the new releases. Not cheap, but very useful. I do hope we see more old items on sale since Wear Them All just made them so much easier to use. Very happy to see this sale! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

None of the discounts are working at all today. Neither the featured PA's catalogue or the "build your own fantasy" ones. 

@chohole, @richardhaseltine

And today got the last of my GC, so apart from PC items I'm probably done for the month, but I couldn't let this one go by: https://www.daz3d.com/mick-bundle (and it's as good as I'd hoped as well).

Heh. This was the hardest description of stacking discounts to follow *ever* in this thread. 

Took me a while to figure out that you're coming up with the savings you suggest by averaging savings on other items over your whole basket... you can't *really* get it down to $6-$8 each. :) 

You guys should share screenshots of your carts - so the rest of us know where to look for the best prices. :) 

Sorry about that, but I did say this, and it can not be shown in the cart as it's hypothetical... But so sorry for the confusion!

" I added up what I'd be paying if those items were each a dollar or two more, and if you buy enough of the older content, it brought the price down of the new releases to about $6-$8 each. (when calculating what you're saving on the other..    

jakiblue said:

I agree, I thought the same thing about the prices. I mean, it's to get really old products, so it didn't make sense to me.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142
    jakiblue said:

None of the discounts are working at all today. Neither the featured PA's catalogue or the "build your own fantasy" ones. 

@chohole, @richardhaseltine

This has been reported.

edited April 2017

This product is frustrating. Where did Dupre put his products? Far Journeyer is Poser Formats under FIgures, then A4V4. BUT- it does not have the bonus pants. Nor the materials. Where are they? I went through Materials in the poser and daz formats, I looked under Dupre's name, I tried A4V4. I tried in daz formats under V4 but am wondering if I missed it. The way old content is organized, it's why I stayed away from it (and probably should have now!) 

Never mind, I found my answer.

\Runtime\Libraries\Character\A4V4_FarJourneyer\FarJourneyer_Boots.cr2
     THIS WAS WHAT I FOUND ALREADY

\Runtime\Libraries\Pose\MAT_A4V4G4FarJourneyer\CelticGreenBoots.ds
     Found this in Poser Formats>Daz>Pose>MAT>A4V4G4FarJourneyer

EDIT: The two I found do the job, but the new Wear Them All doesn't recognize the painted on pants. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142

Fixed now.

edited April 2017
    Novica said:

This product is frustrating. Where did Dupre put his products? Far Journeyer is Poser Formats under FIgures, then A4V4. BUT- it does not have the bonus pants. Nor the materials. Where are they? I went through Materials in the poser and daz formats, I looked under Dupre's name, I tried A4V4. I tried in daz formats under V4 but am wondering if I missed it. The way old content is organized, it's why I stayed away from it (and probably should have now!) 

EDIT: here's what the different file paths say,  how does this translate to where these things are? 

\Runtime\Geometries\Willsmind\FarJourneyer\WGDFarJ_Boots.obj

\Runtime\Libraries\Character\A4V4_FarJourneyer\FarJourneyer_Boots.cr2  THIS WAS WHAT I FOUND ALREADY

\Runtime\Textures\MAB\V4FarJourneyer\FJCelticGreenBoot.jpg

It says the pants are a second skin; I checked, and they're called Leggings in the Mats directory

Post edited by Nath on

Thanks Nath, I had found them- but they wouldn't apply (using the new Wear Them All, nothing even happened. I'm probably doing something wrong. I don't want to hijack the thread, I just used Alicia pants, which are skin tight and look the same. They go right into the boots.) Appreciate your help.

• timetwisttimetwist Posts: 48
    edited April 2017
    Novica said:

Thanks Nath, I had found them- but they wouldn't apply (using the new Wear Them All, nothing even happened. I'm probably doing something wrong. I don't want to hijack the thread, I just used Alicia pants, which are skin tight and look the same. They go right into the boots.) Appreciate your help.

"Second skin" is an old term which refers to replacing a figure's base textures with clothing textures.  There is no geometry included for the pants as it is formed of textures only.  And since the UVs are diffrent between the original figure and your target figure, nothing happens when you try to apply it.  This is also the reason why you didn't find the file at first since it's not technically a clothing figure or prop but rather just a matrial application.

The only way to really use these on a newer figure would be to either convert the texture to the newer UV format or have a clone tool that adds the older UV set as an option on the newer figure.  Then you could use a geometry shell and apply the matrial to that.  (You need to change the UV set in the surfaces section if using the second method.)

Post edited by timetwist on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Novica said:

Never mind, I found my answer.

\Runtime\Libraries\Character\A4V4_FarJourneyer\FarJourneyer_Boots.cr2
     THIS WAS WHAT I FOUND ALREADY

Found this in Poser Formats>Daz>Pose>MAT>A4V4G4FarJourneyer

EDIT: The two I found do the job, but the new Wear Them All doesn't recognize the painted on pants. 

Second skins are similar to some of the SexySkinz products, but without the LIE function-they just overwrite the base skin. And the pose directory directory should ALWAYS be the first stop when looking for materials in the runtime, because as far as I can tell, not every PA uses the materials directory but they do all use the pose directory.

@Novica 

The problem was almost certainly me reading too fast and not for comprehension and not that you were unclear. I tend to look for "Here is something that may not last, act quick if you think you might want it..." point-and-shoot sales advice in this forum - and read it as if that might be the case... 

"There is a great sale, go find it soon, because they might fix it... you don't have a lot of time to understand what we're telling you!" 

Which is what I did... then I came back to the thread going, "WHA?!?" 

And re-read the message a little slower and said... "Ooooh! NOOOOOW I get it!" 

Here is the thing about Generation 3 bundles... 

Their regular price really should be $4 for a Victoria 3 Pro Bundle that includes the glamorous wardrobe pack *and* the V3 body and face morphs. Vicki 3 and Aiko 3 and M3 and L3 and Millenium Girls and all of that stuff is just so old and difficult to work with that in my opinion, having the retail price for those bundles at $50-$150 isn't reasonable. 

At $4 each and you need to buy two new releases from a specific SET of new releases, that kind of deal isn't really that exciting to me. 

If I could get them for $4 each and I could pick ANY single new release including $2.99 "Big Bill Pose Set" type items... 

Then I MIGHT impulse buy it. 

This discussion has been closed.