New Iray render engine. Too good to be true?

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    edited January 2017

So how can I make it brighter inside ?   I tried all the lamps  and didn't work.   and when i change ISO  (which works)

but then the skydome and env. outside turns into a flaming war..  (and rendering takes a long long time)  idk why  if you just change the iso.

Apparently when a human being is standing in a dark room the pupils become dilated. This has the effect of allowing much more light in. While this dilation allows enough light for us to see the room, it also allows us to see the outside as it would appear with our pupils accepting much more light than usual. Typically, when in a bright environment the pupils become smaller to avoid overexposing the retina.

So from my experience I think the overexposed outside is exactly what would happen if the room itself had become bright enough to see clearly.

In the end, the Sun is always king of all the lights in any scene unless there's some sort of localized high energy discharge.

If you research such scenarios online I think you will find lots of examples of overexposed outdoors with dim interiors.

Exactly this :) Even a camera blows out the light coming thru the windows into a dark room in an effort to let the inside of the room to be seen with only the light from outside.

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-modern-interior-sunlit-empty-room-117393718.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Sunlit_room.jpg

http://rilane.com/images/2016148/warm-and-cozy-sunlit-living-room-700x466.jpg

http://www.narratives.co.uk/ImageThumbs/BD020_07/3/BD020_07_Exposed_brickwork_fireplace_in_sunlit_1820s_English_living_room.jpg

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,460

I'm using a MAC (have not made any upgrades) and noticed a significant improvement. Much faster, much less grain, and seems to be a big improvement on smoothing out bump maps at close range.

Does it work on Macs that render with CPU only? Does it improve anything for CPU only renders? Right now renders are taking between 8-32 hours with 32 GB RAM, I can't imagine something rendering in 316 seconds, wow, so jealous!

• twitch99twitch99 Posts: 81
    edited January 2017

I was under the impression that VRAM was not additive with dual GPUs and once you exceeded the VRAM capacity, rendering would drop to CPU, or if your two GPUs had different VRAM, the lesser one would drop off.  Today I ran this render where according to the IRAY Verbose VRAM usage data I should have had my GTX 970 drop out and the GTX 1080 rendering only, GPU-Z showed both cards running at 100% GPU load and the VRAM used by both cards equaled the IRAY estimate.

My rig is an i7-5820K, 16GB RAM,  EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB VRAM and EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB VRAM, all at stock clocking

IRAY Render Data:   GEO Mem 421MB,  Texture Mem 7.7GB and Lights Mem 1.1GB,  total would be about 9.2GB  Watching GPU-Z as the reder runs I see that both GPU are heating up and GPU load is 100%.  GTX 970 Memory usage was 3977MB and the GTX 1080 was 5024MB.  That adds up to 9001MB or 9BG.  So the combine total GPU-Z reported is very close to what the IRAY Render data indicated.

I had to leave for work before the render was done, but at 45 mins it was just over 40% complete and the temps on my GPU were 80 degrees C on the 970 and 64 degrees on the 1080 with 100% GPU load on both.  GPU Memory and Clock data showed they were both running at max HZ too.

Has anyone else seen this?  It would be great if the VRAM was additive on two GPUs

Edit:  Just noticed that I had OptiX Prime Acceleration OFF

Country Resort TD3 01 With Trees 06-sm.jpg
    3600 x 2025 - 3M
    Post edited by twitch99 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

It would be nice, but it just can't work that way, alas.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    twitch99 said:

I was under the impression that VRAM was not additive with dual GPUs and once you exceeded the VRAM capacity, rendering would drop to CPU, or if your two GPUs had different VRAM, the lesser one would drop off.  Today I ran this render where according to the IRAY Verbose VRAM usage data I should have had my GTX 970 drop out and the GTX 1080 rendering only, GPU-Z showed both cards running at 100% GPU load and the VRAM used by both cards equaled the IRAY estimate.

My rig is an i7-5820K, 16GB RAM,  EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB VRAM and EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB VRAM, all at stock clocking

IRAY Render Data:   GEO Mem 421MB,  Texture Mem 7.7GB and Lights Mem 1.1GB,  total would be about 9.2GB  Watching GPU-Z as the reder runs I see that both GPU are heating up and GPU load is 100%.  GTX 970 Memory usage was 3977MB and the GTX 1080 was 5024MB.  That adds up to 9001MB or 9BG.  So the combine total GPU-Z reported is very close to what the IRAY Render data indicated.

I had to leave for work before the render was done, but at 45 mins it was just over 40% complete and the temps on my GPU were 80 degrees C on the 970 and 64 degrees on the 1080 with 100% GPU load on both.  GPU Memory and Clock data showed they were both running at max HZ too.

Has anyone else seen this?  It would be great if the VRAM was additive on two GPUs

That would be a major miracle if it was true, but I am inclined to think there is more to this than the stats the render reported. The shot has a lot of items in the distance, so maybe the textures were compressed before render? If I render a person, if I zoom in on their face, the render time increases dramatically. Zooming out, even if there are more textures and things going on in the scene now, renders faster, even though technically there are more textures taking up memory. 

I bet if you zoomed in things might turn out differently. But I am curious.

• I think we should have a Daz 3D group meeting with switching out hints and tips lol..  

Anyways.. I wonder why sometimes  "Verbose"  is showing on the line when it's rendering..   it seems like once that is showing that the rendering goes really really slow.
    Think I saw someone else asking the same question about that

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627

Sometimes the physical size of the light source needs to be larger to avoid fireflies.

...I'm using the Sun/Sky setting with the Sun's Disk Intensity at 10% Haze factor of 0.05 and the Environment Intensity set to 40% to simulate a moonlit night.

edited January 2017

You should read the Renderman page I linked to about getting rid of noise. No easy fix. https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/1673/debugging-and-optimization-1.html?l=h

..tried to but it began to go over my head just a bit.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    marble said:

Yeah, it took me a while to adjust to IRay lighting too but I came to it via Reality/Luxrender so it wasn't so bad. Even then, some things are different. I still don't know how to guess the right Lumen number - all those zeroes! I'm more comfortable with Watts because that's how lights are measured in my real world.

All I can say is have a look at the Ghost Lights. You can create your own mesh lights using planes but from what I've read, that set makes things a lot more manageable. Almost all my scenes are interior and I always use mesh lights so I've bought the Ghost Lights on the strength of that (and the good reviews in the thread here). I have not had chance to try them yet as my PC is in transit to my new home but I'm looking forward to experimenting with them.

..yeah I'm on hte fence about getting them.  Not so much based on whether I think they'd be a good solution to interior ambient lighting as it is tight finances. (in 3DL I used AoA's Advanced Ambient Light as it rendered much faster than UE). 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Actually you'd think with CUDAs being parallel processing units anyway that the nVidia video driver could be properlyly written to divy up a scene between two nVidia cards via some sort of virtual nVidia vRAM mounting SW. I guess SLI ain't so sly.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    edited January 2017

I think we should have a Daz 3D group meeting with switching out hints and tips lol..  

Anyways.. I wonder why sometimes  "Verbose"  is showing on the line when it's rendering..   it seems like once that is showing that the rendering goes really really slow.
    Think I saw someone else asking the same question about that

In a case like this "Verbose" usually just means extended status or error reporting (more details), I think this is the case here too. Unless it also involves extended status or error checking in the code it shouldn't affect speed in a noticeable way.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Before upgrading from the previous 4.9 release version, I did a quick 'benchmark' render on my MacBook Pro of the "After the War" scene.  Both the previous release and the last Beta release candidate took about 24 minutes to render (all CPU, no Macbook has an NVidia GPU); the new release took about 19 minutes.   Obviously, this is just one scene and of lmited significance, but I must say it is very encouraging.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

Sorry... I asked this before.

Where can I find which DS version I am using?

• Sorry... I asked this before.

Within DAZ Studio select the  Help Menu at the top of the page and choose  "About DAZ Studio" a splash card appears with details about DAZ Studio and the version you are using.

Hope this helps. 

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    DivaDolly said:

Sorry... I asked this before.

Within DAZ Studio select the  Help Menu at the top of the page and choose  "About DAZ Studio" a splash card appears with details about DAZ Studio and the version you are using.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks much.

edited January 2017

...OK ran a test with a scene that had one G2F figure five emissive lights, a simple setting with a a water surface shader (all manually optimised for Iray) with the following settings:

Render size 900 x 675

Firefly FIlter: On

Noise Filter: On

Render Quality: 2

Max Samples 15,000

Max Time: 28.800 seconds

Rendering Converged Ratio: 100%

Spectral Rendering Natural, Observer: cie 1931

Draw Dome: Off

ISO 64

f stop 7.2

Burn Highlights: 0

Crush Blacks: 0

SS Haze 0.05

SS Blue-Red tint -0,05

The process was cancelled at 99.02% Convergence

Total Time 7h:51m:26s

Iterations 10,635.

Yeah, for CPU rendering, decent noisless quality is definitely slower and the Iray hair shader still looked wrong.

rememberance test.png
    900 x 675 - 868K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Out of curiosity, run the same render w/o Spectral Rendering and see what the times are?  And see if you can really tell the difference for that scene...

--  Morgan

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743

White/light grey hair seems to be difficult to get right in general.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I find that it is faster, but beware the convergence. 95% convergence is rather grainy now compared to the previous version. I'm now upping the convergence to 99% where I would never do this on the older version.

Its taking MUCH longer to get rid of graininess.  A render that would take maybe 15-20 minutes is now taking upwards of an hour and has far more grain than it used to.

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555

I find that it is faster, but beware the convergence. 95% convergence is rather grainy now compared to the previous version. I'm now upping the convergence to 99% where I would never do this on the older version.

Its taking MUCH longer to get rid of graininess.  A render that would take maybe 15-20 minutes is now taking upwards of an hour and has far more grain than it used to.

Is it possible that Iray is not using your GPU anymore as that sounds a lot of difference in the times for you - ( If its not using your GPU you probably need to update your drivers)

Its hard for me to say if its taking longer or is grainy as I was using the BETA with a 10 series card anyway

kyoto kid said:

...OK ran a test with a scene that had one G2F figure five emissive lights, a simple setting with a a water surface shader (all manually optimised for Iray) with the following settings:

Render size 900 x 675

Firefly FIlter: On

Noise Filter: On

Render Quality: 2

Max Samples 15,000

Max Time: 28.800 seconds

Rendering Converged Ratio: 100%

Spectral Rendering Natural, Observer: cie 1931

Draw Dome: Off

ISO 64

f stop 7.2

Burn Highlights: 0

Crush Blacks: 0

SS Haze 0.05

SS Blue-Red tint -0,05

The process was cancelled at 99.02% Convergence

Total Time 7h:51m:26s

Iterations 10,635.

Yeah, for CPU rendering, decent noisless quality is definitely slower and the Iray hair shader still looked wrong.

That's pretty.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

Are you using Spectral Rendering? If so, I recommend not using it.

It does improve realism, but, IMO, only very slightly, and ends up effectively ballooning render times to get the same smoothness.

IMO, unless you are doing something like a closeup of funky crystal chandeliers or you have video cards that can heat several apartments, I would avoid it.

(Now if you AREN'T using spectral rendering, not sure why this would be)

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401
    edited January 2017

I've noticed huge increase in render times with spectral render too. Earlier I made some tests with it too, and just like CypherFOX and timmis.william said, the difference is very small, but render time increased a lot. I saw some scenes take over 5 times the time compared to normal render. Also since we are comparing results/times to the old engine, using spectral render is not very informative, since old engine did not have that option. Well, of course you can use it, but it's kind of unfair to say that new engine is grainier/slower if you are using slowest possbile method. It's like replacing old monitor with a new 4k monitor, and render everything new in Ultra HD, and then complain new engine is super slow. Bad comparison, I know, but when comparing to the old engine, your settings should be equal.

Post edited by Mendoman on

Novica said Spectral Rendering decreased render times in her tests but I think she has a nVidia video card. For me it's not so important on or off, I'll let a render run until 3 days or I want to do something else as my computer is not fast anyway.

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401
    edited January 2017

I got curious about spectral render decreasing render time, and made some more tests. My first scene was very simple, I just used Philosopher's Ocean Water System ( Quiet Cove landscape ) and a sphere with orange car paint shader. Lighting is DAZ default HDRI. All images are rendered to 95% convergence, and here's the results

Normal Render

1232 iterations, 5.073s init, 304.541s render

Spectral Render

1661 iterations, 5.144s init, 442.126s render

I also tested more complex lighting, more reflections and light passing through materials, and test seem quite similar in that also

First normal render

3641 iterations, 17.391s init, 1039.348s render

Spectral Render

4334 iterations, 17.405s init, 1111.798s render

Couldn't find those older tests, that really increased render times a lot, so I assume it depends what kind of scene it is. Anyways, personally I have to use Gimp to see the differences in quality, but if somebody else has some nice comparisons where differences are more clear, I'm really interested. About spectral rendering decreasing render time, I'm not quite sure yet, but I assume it's possible. In that later test, difference in time is less than 10%, but it has about 20% more iterations, so it actually rendered faster per iteration ( normal render 3.50 iterations/second, and spectral 3.90 iterations/second ), so maybe in right lighting conditions etc. spectral render could decrease render time. I'll try couple more different scenes, and if I find something new I'll post

normal_render.jpg
    960 x 1358 - 981K
    spectral_render.jpg
    960 x 1358 - 1016K
    vicky_normal_render.jpg
    960 x 1358 - 725K
    vicky_spectral_render.jpg
    960 x 1358 - 732K
    Post edited by Mendoman on
    Mendoman said:

I got curious about spectral render decreasing render time, and made some more tests. My first scene was very simple, I just used Philosopher's Ocean Water System ( Quiet Cove landscape ) and a sphere with orange car paint shader. Lighting is DAZ default HDRI. All images are rendered to 95% convergence, and here's the results

Normal Render

1232 iterations, 5.073s init, 304.541s render

Spectral Render

1661 iterations, 5.144s init, 442.126s render

I also tested more complex lighting, more reflections and light passing through materials, and test seem quite similar in that also

First normal render

3641 iterations, 17.391s init, 1039.348s render

Spectral Render

4334 iterations, 17.405s init, 1111.798s render

Couldn't find those older tests, that really increased render times a lot, so I assume it depends what kind of scene it is. Anyways, personally I have to use Gimp to see the differences in quality, but if somebody else has some nice comparisons where differences are more clear, I'm really interested. About spectral rendering decreasing render time, I'm not quite sure yet, but I assume it's possible. In that later test, difference in time is less than 10%, but it has about 20% more iterations, so it actually rendered faster per iteration ( normal render 3.50 iterations/second, and spectral 3.90 iterations/second ), so maybe in right lighting conditions etc. spectral render could decrease render time. I'll try couple more different scenes, and if I find something new I'll post

Well you got the opposite of what Novica got but she used a character surrounded by glass vases. Or maybe did I read what she did wrong??? ...but I'm pretty sure it was Spectral Rendering on Faithful & Natural with CIE1931 & CIE1964 

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I don't know about anyone else but for me, Spectral Renderin ON instantly reverts me to CPU. I have a 2GB card, a scene that will render in GPU with spectral rendering OFF will always dump to CPU with it on. So it's not a scene / texture size issue.  So of course its scads slower. But that may just be on my particular hardware.

• twitch99 said:

IRAY Render Data:   GEO Mem 421MB,  Texture Mem 7.7GB and Lights Mem 1.1GB,  total would be about 9.2GB  Watching GPU-Z as the reder runs I see that both GPU are heating up and GPU load is 100%.  GTX 970 Memory usage was 3977MB and the GTX 1080 was 5024MB.  That adds up to 9001MB or 9BG.  So the combine total GPU-Z reported is very close to what the IRAY Render data indicated.GB memory load

From some of the comments I know you all thought I was crazy saying the new Iray renderer was VRAM additive.  I thought I was too, as I tried to repoduce the above claim with QptiX ON and it kept going to CPU rendering because the of the 9BG memery load.

So I was working with another scence the fits in the GTX 1080 8 GB VRAM but not the GTX 970 4GB VRAM.  Running with OptiX ON, only the GTX 1080 was rendering.  So I turned off Optix and guess what, it appeasr that both GPUs were rendering!!  On GPU-z the GTX 970 showed 100% GPU and clock/memory were running at max, along with the temp.  This scene has 4.24 GB memory load at least.  Below is the log, it appeasr that during the render the GTX 970 was prevented from timing out.  I have not had time to run to 100% with OptiX ON and then OFF to see which is ultimately faster.

It would be nice to see if any one else is seeing this, or I may really be crazy!!cheeky

2017-01-15 09:42:17.865 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating materials.
    2017-01-15 09:42:28.292 Iray INFO - module:category(MATCNV:RENDER):   1.0   MATCNV rend info : Material instance 'DS_TD3_AZone__Terrain_7ff_21323' uses MDL JIT compilation.
    2017-01-15 09:42:28.293 Iray INFO - module:category(MATCNV:RENDER):   1.0   MATCNV rend info : Material instance 'DS_TD3_BZone__Terrain_83c_21407' uses MDL JIT compilation.
    2017-01-15 09:42:28.293 Iray INFO - module:category(MATCNV:RENDER):   1.0   MATCNV rend info : Material instance 'DS_TD3_BZone (2)__Terrain_879_21491' uses MDL JIT compilation.
    2017-01-15 09:42:28.294 Iray INFO - module:category(MATCNV:RENDER):   1.0   MATCNV rend info : Material instance 'DS_TD3_BZone (3)__Terrain_8b6_21575' uses MDL JIT compilation.
    2017-01-15 09:42:28.311 Iray INFO - module:category(MATCNV:RENDER):   1.0   MATCNV rend info : found 837 textures, 4 lambdas (2 unique)
    2017-01-15 09:42:29.196 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Emitter geometry import (1336 light sources with 10889k triangles, 672 instances) took 0.85s
    2017-01-15 09:42:29.196 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating environment.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.136 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating lens.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.136 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating lights.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.253 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating object flags.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.256 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating caustic portals.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.256 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating decals.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.257 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Allocating 1 layer frame buffer
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.293 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Using batch scheduling, architectural sampler disabled, caustic sampler disabled
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.293 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing local rendering.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.293 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Available GPU memory has increased since out-of-memory failure. Re-enable CUDA device 1.
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.312 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 2 device(s):
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.312 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970)
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.312 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080)
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.312 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.313 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080): Processing scene...
    2017-01-15 09:42:31.314 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.9   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Processing scene...
    2017-01-15 09:42:40.115 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend warn : RTKernel: please check the input geometry (degenerated/inefficient RT hierarchy)
    2017-01-15 09:42:40.427 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 316.429 MiB (device 1), 0 B (host)
    2017-01-15 09:42:41.296 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 316.429 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)
    2017-01-15 09:43:37.982 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 3.40571 GiB (device 0)
    2017-01-15 09:43:37.988 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend info : Initializing light hierarchy.
    2017-01-15 09:43:38.090 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 3.40571 GiB (device 1)
    2017-01-15 09:44:25.778 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend info : Light hierarchy initialization took 47.79s
    2017-01-15 09:44:25.951 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend stat : Lights memory consumption: 507.101 MiB (device 1)
    2017-01-15 09:44:26.558 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend stat : Material measurement memory consumption: 0 B (GPU)
    2017-01-15 09:44:26.835 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend stat : Materials memory consumption: 4.74356 MiB (GPU)
    2017-01-15 09:44:26.836 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend stat : PTX code (2.67 KiB) for sm52 generated in 0.274s
    2017-01-15 09:44:27.347 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : Lights memory consumption: 507.101 MiB (device 0)
    2017-01-15 09:44:27.386 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend stat : PTX code (2.67 KiB) for sm61 generated in 0.0213s
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.045 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : JIT-linking wavefront kernel in 0.070s
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.118 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : JIT-linking mega kernel in 0.072s
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.118 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.9   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Scene processed in 116.805s
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.141 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.9   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): out of memory (while allocating memory)
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.141 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.9   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Failed to allocate 910.377 MiB
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.183 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.9   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 164.796 MiB for frame buffer
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.470 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.9   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Used for display, optimizing for interactive usage (performance could be sacrificed)
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.949 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend info : JIT-linking wavefront kernel in 0.139s
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.990 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.7   IRAY   rend info : JIT-linking mega kernel in 0.041s
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.991 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080): Scene processed in 117.678s
    2017-01-15 09:44:28.998 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080): Allocated 164.796 MiB for frame buffer
    2017-01-15 09:44:29.078 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080): Allocated 1.65625 GiB of work space (2048k active samples in 0.080s)
    2017-01-15 09:44:33.482 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : Allocating 1 layer frame buffer
    2017-01-15 09:44:34.034 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00001 iterations after 122.722s.
    2017-01-15 09:44:34.145 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:34.185 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:37.436 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:37.489 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:40.943 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:40.991 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:45.643 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00003 iterations after 134.331s.
    2017-01-15 09:44:45.881 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:45.937 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:48.123 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00004 iterations after 136.811s.
    2017-01-15 09:44:48.465 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:48.526 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:51.098 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:52.746 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:52.816 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00005 iterations after 141.503s.
    2017-01-15 09:44:52.822 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:55.593 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:55.659 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:57.427 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00006 iterations after 146.114s.
    2017-01-15 09:44:58.282 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:44:58.340 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:45:01.817 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.14  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:45:01.845 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    2017-01-15 09:45:02.142 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00007 iterations after 150.830s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:04.135 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00008 iterations after 152.822s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:06.753 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00009 iterations after 155.440s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:11.457 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00010 iterations after 160.145s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:16.074 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00011 iterations after 164.761s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:20.787 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00012 iterations after 169.475s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:25.457 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00013 iterations after 174.145s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:34.419 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00015 iterations after 183.106s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:37.481 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00016 iterations after 186.169s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:43.348 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00018 iterations after 192.036s.
    2017-01-15 09:45:52.267 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00020 iterations after 200.954s.
    2017-01-15 09:46:05.502 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00023 iterations after 214.190s.
    2017-01-15 09:46:09.222 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00024 iterations after 217.910s.
    2017-01-15 09:46:09.279 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.9   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 127.945 MiB of work space (154k active samples in 0.001s)
    2017-01-15 09:46:18.708 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00027 iterations after 227.395s.
    2017-01-15 09:46:36.444 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00031 iterations after 245.132s.
    2017-01-15 09:46:37.750 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00032 iterations after 246.437s.
    2017-01-15 09:46:53.848 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00036 iterations after 262.536s.
    2017-01-15 09:47:05.749 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00037 iterations after 274.437s.
    2017-01-15 09:47:15.710 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00042 iterations after 284.398s.
    2017-01-15 09:47:31.006 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00043 iterations after 299.693s.
    2017-01-15 09:47:41.868 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00049 iterations after 310.555s.
    2017-01-15 09:47:58.590 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00050 iterations after 327.278s.
    2017-01-15 09:48:12.314 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00057 iterations after 341.002s.
    2017-01-15 09:48:23.909 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00058 iterations after 352.596s.
    2017-01-15 09:48:42.884 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 3.45% of image converged
    2017-01-15 09:48:42.926 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00065 iterations after 371.614s.
    2017-01-15 09:48:49.205 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00066 iterations after 377.892s.
    2017-01-15 09:49:14.452 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00067 iterations after 403.139s.
    2017-01-15 09:49:17.536 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00075 iterations after 406.224s.
    2017-01-15 09:49:39.663 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00076 iterations after 428.351s.
    2017-01-15 09:49:56.701 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00085 iterations after 445.388s.
    2017-01-15 09:50:04.964 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00086 iterations after 453.651s.
    2017-01-15 09:50:30.265 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00087 iterations after 478.952s.
    2017-01-15 09:50:40.328 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 9.25% of image converged
    2017-01-15 09:50:40.366 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00097 iterations after 489.054s.
    2017-01-15 09:50:55.568 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00098 iterations after 504.255s.
    2017-01-15 09:51:20.876 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00099 iterations after 529.563s.
    2017-01-15 09:51:28.101 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00110 iterations after 536.788s.
    2017-01-15 09:52:11.556 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00112 iterations after 580.244s.
    2017-01-15 09:52:20.266 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00124 iterations after 588.954s.
    2017-01-15 09:53:02.479 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00126 iterations after 631.166s.
    2017-01-15 09:53:17.744 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 21.23% of image converged
    2017-01-15 09:53:17.783 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00139 iterations after 646.471s.
    2017-01-15 09:53:53.276 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00141 iterations after 681.964s.
    2017-01-15 09:54:19.710 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00155 iterations after 708.398s.
    2017-01-15 09:54:44.203 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00157 iterations after 732.890s.
    2017-01-15 09:55:30.552 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 30.13% of image converged
    2017-01-15 09:55:30.593 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00173 iterations after 779.281s.
    2017-01-15 09:55:35.013 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00175 iterations after 783.701s.
    2017-01-15 09:55:56.439 Saved image: C:\Users\LowRider\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
    2017-01-15 09:55:56.442 Finished Rendering
    2017-01-15 09:55:56.634 Total Rendering Time: 14 minutes 4.26 seconds
    2017-01-15 09:56:15.013 Saved image: d:\Users\LowRider\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\Render Library\Secluded TD305 Mami OTFB02 01 01.jpg
    2017-01-15 09:56:35.532 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
    2017-01-15 09:56:35.532 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970):      25 iterations, 118.206s init, 683.515s render
    2017-01-15 09:56:35.533 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080):      150 iterations, 118.185s init, 683.520s render

• I tried with a simple scene. I just made my thumbs as usual and used 2 props and G3F with bikinis. And as I noticed, the rendering itself was faster, but the preparing was way much slower. While it was listed that ...." ...Iray VERBOSE...." thing ... slower with 30 seconds. OK, it is not huge difference, but for a 91x91 thumb .. hmm. amd noticed that grains disappear slower than before.

Btw, I have 2 GTX 980Ti with 6GB RAM and when I made the main promo with 2 props and 3 Genesis 3 Females ... at once I see ... memory full notice and windows asked me to close Daz Studio. Interesting .... 

i hope this is temporary only

Taozen said:

White/light grey hair seems to be difficult to get right in general.

...it's not so much the colour as it is the way Iray treats trasnmapped hair.  I used Slosh's UHT2 and had to crank up the cutout opacity to 200% (opacity setting 3) yet the upper part of the hair still looks slightly thin and transparent as does the tail behind. As the character is an albino, it should be colourless (appearing almost white) but even using the "Stark White" colour setting, it still comes out somewhat grey.