New Iray render engine. Too good to be true?

MendomanMendoman Posts: 401
edited January 2017 in The Commons

Hi all,

I made some test with the new render engine, and I was totally surprised with it's performance. I rendered 2 of my old saved scenes before upgrading, and checked from the log the iterations and render time. Then I upgraded, and rendered the same scenes again, and results were absolutely stunning.

My first scene with old render engine took 3045 iterations, and 737 seconds to reach 95% convergence. With new render engine 1377 iteration and 316 seconds.

Second scene with old engine took 3041 iterations and 991 seconds, and with new render engine 1446 iterations and 444 seconds.

I checked the render settings, which were the same with both engines, and I couldn't see any differences with completed images, so could it really be true, that this new engine really cuts render times to half? Anybody else get similar results?

Post edited by Mendoman on

Comments

• Hi Mendoman do you have a nvidia card ,which one ,curious because I am thinking of buying one I am on a Radeon card. at the minute

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,309

I have also just installed the latest DS 4.9, and although I did not record the render times using the previous versions, initial tests I have done so far seem to indicate that the newer version is a fair bit faster.

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401
    edited January 2017

Hi Mendoman do you have a nvidia card ,which one ,curious because I am thinking of buying one I am on a Radeon card. at the minute

Yup, I have older version ( Maxwell I think ) Titan X. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this new update made those newer models ( was it Pascal? ) to work with DS too. Can't test that of course, but I think I read it from some other threads. If I was buying a new card, those 10-series sure sound nice with price/performance perspective, but they have less memory than titan series.I just made a quick test, and for example Victoria 7 ( normal maps off ) with render sublevel 2 takes  about 560 MB of memory ( if I understand those new verbose stats correctly ), so depending what kind of scenes you make, buy a card that has enough memory.

As a side note, this new engine version also shows memory usage of geometry and textures and stuff like that. It's so nice to see how much memory your scene takes. At least I can see info like this from Victoria 7 default DAZ lights:

2017-01-05 11:47:13.678 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 14.7737 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)
    2017-01-05 11:47:26.932 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : Initializing light hierarchy.
    2017-01-05 11:47:26.932 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : Light hierarchy initialization took 0.00s
    2017-01-05 11:47:26.932 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 544.501 MiB (device 0)
    2017-01-05 11:47:26.932 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Lights memory consumption: 196 B (device 0)
    2017-01-05 11:47:27.010 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Material measurement memory consumption: 0 B (GPU)
    2017-01-05 11:47:27.010 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Materials memory consumption: 68.5977 KiB (GPU)
    2017-01-05 11:47:27.135 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.8   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX TITAN X): Scene processed in 13.465s

EDIT: Heh, I made some more tests, and that 560MB increases radically when you give Vicky some hair, clothes, anatomical elements, HD morphs, sublevel 4 and normal maps and suddenly solo Vicky without any environment takes 2.5 GB of memory. Majority of course from textures which can be tweaked ( only removing normal maps is a huge difference )

module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 271.617 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)
    2017-01-05 12:14:54.847 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : Initializing light hierarchy.
    2017-01-05 12:14:54.847 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : Light hierarchy initialization took 0.00s
    2017-01-05 12:14:54.847 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 2.29799 GiB (device 0)
    2017-01-05 12:14:54.847 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Lights memory consumption: 196 B (device 0)
    2017-01-05 12:14:54.941 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Material measurement memory consumption: 0 B (GPU)
    2017-01-05 12:14:54.941 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Materials memory consumption: 238.293 KiB (GPU)
    2017-01-05 12:14:55.066 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.8   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX TITAN X): Scene processed in 21.196s

Post edited by Mendoman on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

Does it work on Macs that render with CPU only? Does it improve anything for CPU only renders? Right now renders are taking between 8-32 hours with 32 GB RAM, I can't imagine something rendering in 316 seconds, wow, so jealous!

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

@Wonderland I'm sorry, I didn't do any CPU only render tests before upgrade, and now it's too late. But I assume it helps CPU rendering too, because needed iterations to achieve for example 95% convergence are much lower....but that's just my quess. Maybe somebody more tech-savvy knows better?

Does it work on Macs that render with CPU only? Does it improve anything for CPU only renders? Right now renders are taking between 8-32 hours with 32 GB RAM, I can't imagine something rendering in 316 seconds, wow, so jealous!

For a me a V7 with hair and clothes, but no enviroment, is taking 41 seconds to render at quality level 1, and 54s at quality level 3. This is using a GTX 970, with CPU only I would expect that to take 10 times longer, so still only 7 mins or so at quality level 1. Naturally if you add an enviroment, more characters etc, the render times quickly shoot up.

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209

Holly, molly, I can make Arabella dance in iRay mode.....I'm used to waiting about a minute or so (i5820 and GTX980Ti before you ask) if I twitch a fingernail....now I can move a whole leg and bam.....is there someone to wich I can bow deeple and take my hat of.......love the upgrade (<- insert the words deeply fantastic, awfly cool, game changer).

Greets, ArtisanS

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Holy Guacamole! I have a 750Ti and 14 GB of ram. Good enough to do Iray, but usually slow. Often my computer crawls as it sucks up all available resources. This scene took 12 hours to render a couple of days ago. To get 3/4 done in 30 minutes is freaking amazing. I cannot believe the speed improvement! And it actually seems to be using my GPU and not my CPU. Yay!

new Iray test2.JPG
    1223 x 925 - 156K
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,849

I can now render with my GTX 1080! I have been waiting for this day for months now.

• And, if you don't have a good video card, it seems a lot faster. Thanks Daz.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    edited January 2017
    Mendoman said:

@Wonderland I'm sorry, I didn't do any CPU only render tests before upgrade, and now it's too late. But I assume it helps CPU rendering too, because needed iterations to achieve for example 95% convergence are much lower....but that's just my quess. Maybe somebody more tech-savvy knows better?

Just did a quick CPU only render test on two 100% hardware identical machines (Radeon HD 6450 1 GB card), one running Win 10 with DS 4.9.3.166, the other Win 8.1 with DS 4.9.2.70, both with default Iray settings. Both were restricted to using 3 CPU cores of 4 to reduce influence from other stuff using CPU.

Used same G3F character with Render Studio backdrop, same render size etc.. Renders started at the same time.  4.9.2.70 stopped at about 50 500 iterations, 4.9.3.166 is still runnning at 85% / 672 iterations. So there must be som difference in the default Iray settings.

One interesting thing is that 4.9.3.166 seems to use less memory, but iterates a bit slower (the latter may be OS related, I don't know). Both had just updated iteration count with a few seconds between them when the screenshots here were taken.

EDIT: the Win 10 machine uses a 1920x1200 monitor, the Win 8 machine a 1920x1080, don't know if that makes any difference speed wise.

DS-4.9.2.70-win8.1.jpg
    690 x 574 - 99K
    DS-4.9.3.166-win10.jpg
    631 x 555 - 91K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    ArtisanS said:

Holly, molly, I can make Arabella dance in iRay mode.....I'm used to waiting about a minute or so (i5820 and GTX980Ti before you ask) if I twitch a fingernail....now I can move a whole leg and bam.....is there someone to wich I can bow deeple and take my hat of.......love the upgrade (<- insert the words deeply fantastic, awfly cool, game changer).

Greets, ArtisanS

Wow, I had not noticed this improvement, but your are right. Used to be that any pose change whilst using IRay preview and you would get the dreaded gray look for a while as all the shaders were recompiled (which made no sense since a pose change would not affect this), but not anymore. It makes using the preview screen much more practical even when tweaking the position and poses of items within it.

• I was surprised this morning,  but only saw a few updates not the CMS and other tools (which they were in beta)

but who knows..

Tried doing a render with my  1070 8gb  card and  64 Gb memory

but quit after 5 minutes, since i had to go to work.,   but was pretty much an empty scene.. and was still at 0 %  and had one  12-14 iterations.

Not sure why mine is so slow (and yes  Card is checked,  and even tried with CPU checked as well)

If i see here people with 45 seconds or a few min. and 3/4 done...  what am I missing..

Just using the default settings for the Iray

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

This finished in about an hour and forty five minutes. Not bad, considering it took 12 hours before. Will do some more tests this weekend.

Something a little odd going on with the shader on her lower lip. Was using NGS Anagenesis 2 shaders. Will play more later.

Llynara_sc lights low_new Iray.png
    1000 x 906 - 985K
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189

That is a huge update for Iray, did you all download via connect or did you download via DIM or direct download? Maybe I am missing something but I am not seeing an update via direct download. 

• it's via dim shadowhawk1

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026

Impressed so far. I can use Iray mode in preview mode now while composing and I only have CPU I7 4 cores.

• Was waiting for this release to get one of the new Pascal cards. My job gave me a surprise (to me) $1500 bonus yesterday. Are the stars telling me to go Titan X? Had been using the time to compare Titan to 1080. (I currently have a 970). Anyone have thoughts as to plus or minus for either for comparison? As cost seems to be not a factor (Thank goodness the kids college is paid for!) I've always followed the "get as much RAM as you can afford" rule for PCs. But I have to wonder if more than 8GB is overkill? I'm seeing prices of $1200 for Titan through Nvidia and sale prices on Newegg for the 1080 at about $630. From what i've read lurking on these boards is that SLI is not a factor for Iray render, the RAM is mostly a factor for size of image to render and number of Cores determines speed of render. That, at least, is my limited summary of the card differences.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Oh that's nice. I just started rendering a scene and Iray told me that the scene's geometry is using 112MB, Textures is 3.6GB, lights are 15MB and Materials are 3.1MB

So now when test rendering I know here to try and cut down to get the scene to fit on my Vid card or if it's even close to fitting :)

Cool thanks Angelreaper! 

• That is a huge update for Iray, did you all download via connect or did you download via DIM or direct download? Maybe I am missing something but I am not seeing an update via direct download. 

DS and its plug-ins cannot, currently at least, be installed via Connect.

• 4.9.3.166 is showing as the manual download / install option on my product page.

Have to remember how now; a job for the weekend.

• This update is not in my DIM does anyone know were i can get it.

• never mind just found it,I have to manually install dont know why!!

• Cool thanks Angelreaper! 

it may take you two attempts did for me and another at least first time it removes or atleast makes the previous full version disappear but does not or may not install the new version but start up dim a second time and again you'll see the new version + bridge + something else ready to install which this time it does will also all your plugins like the hair ones and/or any others you had will appear and work unlike the beta  but you'll have to reregister them again another thing may take a few minutes for your content to appear in smart menu

Cool thanks Angelreaper! 

it may take you two attempts did for me and another at least first time it removes or atleast makes the previous full version disappear but does not or may not install the new version but start up dim a second time and again you'll see the new version + bridge + something else ready to install which this time it does will also all your plugins like the hair ones and/or any others you had will appear and work unlike the beta  but you'll have to reregister them again another thing may take a few minutes for your content to appear in smart menu

Thanks for the info. I don't use smart content at all though so I will see what happens

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I downloaded the manual standalone installer and there was no problem installing it.

I make a point of keeping older DS installers just in case.

• Thanks guys got it sorted with manuall install and a backup of the old version just incase!!

• I was surprised this morning,  but only saw a few updates not the CMS and other tools (which they were in beta)

but who knows..

Tried doing a render with my  1070 8gb  card and  64 Gb memory

but quit after 5 minutes, since i had to go to work.,   but was pretty much an empty scene.. and was still at 0 %  and had one  12-14 iterations.

Not sure why mine is so slow (and yes  Card is checked,  and even tried with CPU checked as well)

If i see here people with 45 seconds or a few min. and 3/4 done...  what am I missing..

Just using the default settings for the Iray

I think you should update your graphic card driver too. I did update DS first and do some rendering but it showed nothing. After updating graphic driver, it works now laugh 

• I'll try that when i get home..  it  does render but seemed very slow.

Think I had the latest driver, but i'll double check