New Iray render engine. Too good to be true?

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676
    edited January 2017

Try cranking up the ISO or lowering the f-stop in tonemapping settings. Default settings are set for a bright sunny day outdoor type scene.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • I found F-stop under the camera.  Where do I find ISO ?

F-stop didn't make a difference

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

TheKD meant the fstop and ISO in the render settings Tone Mapping panel, not the Camera

Laurie

• ok found it...  sorry.
    Looks better now..   doesn't it make the lights useless then ?

and seems like rendering is taking a lot longer.. once I changed it.  and it's still GPU rendering... i didn't jump back to CPU

edited January 2017

The cameras and lights are supposed to work close to their real life counterparts. On a real camera ISO 100 f-stop 8 would be a good start for sunny outdoors, but for indoor, it would probably be too dark. My camera I need fstop to be 3 or lower in my room right now. While the outside photos I took earlier the fstop was 11 because the sun and snow makes it really bright out.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • I am all new to Iray now,  with 3Delight, I knew what i was doing.   This is a whole other can or worms :)

Need to figure out why those lights are not doing a what I think it should do

To just make lights brighter, crank the lumens up, sometimes I just have to start adding 0's to the end, even after messing with tone mapping settings. It's not the "correct" way to do it, but it gets the job done sometimes.

• Sometimes the physical size of the light source needs to be larger to avoid fireflies.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

If you are going to tone map just to rid of fireflies & such the easiest way is to look down Shutter Speed, F/Stop and decrease Exposure Value. You'll find by the time the exposure value gets to 1 your scene will be too bright after only a while...

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

For most indoor scenes I make sure the shutter speed is something in the neighborhood from 18-10, f-stop anywhere from 9-14, and I try to get the exposure between 9-11 for indoor lighting. Not sure if it's correct, but it always turns out looking good to my eyes. Having said all that, a lot of that is going to depend on the scene lighting to begin with. This one had two spots, rather low powered, a large emissive plane in front (also low powered) and the plane behind with the alpha map on it.

Laurie

Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1048 - 184K
  • Lighting in Iray is just as complex as lighting in 3DL; I believe SickleYield has a couple of YouTube videos on how to work with it that may be helpful.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

For the longest time, I was never really able to render indoor scenes at all due to my hardware limitations. I have a laptop with 2GB VRAM GTX 750M which isn't that fast and often drops to CPU. So I went with a more stylized render style, almost like one might stage a play with actors surrounded by minimal props and selected architectural elements (stairs, some furniture, maybe a doorway) that just imply a larger and more intricate background and require the viewer to play along with the spirit of the image. This got me something that could at least render out in less than a day.

Of late I've incorporated four things to my rendering. First, I've been using the NGS2 shader presets for human figures because they cut down on the maps used and hence the memory that needs to get loaded into the GPU.  Second, I've used section panes before but I recently grabbed a freebie set of three panes that Snow Sultan posted in a link in a video tuturial he has on youtube, grouped them, moved them slightly behind the camera and parented them to it.  Now everything out of frame is automatically cut out. Third, I've been using the Ghost Lights. I had used the equivalent before by using primative planes with emissives but since these are so easy to work with, I'm using them more. They do a nice job of giving nice ambient lighting to an internal space.  And fourth, the new studio version. 

I don't know which really is making the biggest difference but I now am able to do interior renders that finish to competion (or at least acceptable quality for my purposes) in a reasonable time, typically around 20-30 minutes.  I'll assume at least some of this is attrubuted to the new Studio/Iray and so I'm quite pleased with it.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited January 2017

For the longest time, I was never really able to render indoor scenes at all due to my hardware limitations. I have a laptop with 2GB VRAM GTX 750M which isn't that fast and often drops to CPU. So I went with a more stylized render style, almost like one might stage a play with actors surrounded by minimal props and selected architectural elements (stairs, some furniture, maybe a doorway) that just imply a larger and more intricate background and require the viewer to play along with the spirit of the image. This got me something that could at least render out in less than a day.

Of late I've incorporated four things to my rendering. First, I've been using the NGS2 shader presets for human figures because they cut down on the maps used and hence the memory that needs to get loaded into the GPU.  Second, I've used section panes before but I recently grabbed a freebie set of three panes that Snow Sultan posted in a link in a video tuturial he has on youtube, grouped them, moved them slightly behind the camera and parented them to it.  Now everything out of frame is automatically cut out. Third, I've been using the Ghost Lights. I had used the equivalent before by using primative planes with emissives but since these are so easy to work with, I'm using them more. They do a nice job of giving nice ambient lighting to an internal space.  And fourth, the new studio version. 

I don't know which really is making the biggest difference but I now am able to do interior renders that finish to competion (or at least acceptable quality for my purposes) in a reasonable time, typically around 20-30 minutes.  I'll assume at least some of this is attrubuted to the new Studio/Iray and so I'm quite pleased with it.

Excellent summary, thank you. I also have the Ghost Lights awaiting download as 90% of my renders are indoor scenes. I don't have NGS2 - it is on my wishlist but a bit costly for me right now (I'm trying to save towards replacing my 970 with a 1070 - or even using both - but that will really break the bank). My PC is in transit right now so I can't test any of the new stuff but I'm itching to get to it.

Could you point to the tutorial about automatically excluding anything out of frame, please?

Post edited by marble on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,314

I am not convinced that increasing ISO, or similar means of making the scene brighter has much, if any, effect on reducing the noise. The final image will be brighter, but the noise will still be there if it was not giving sufficent time to render. To create a dark scene with less noise, I feel you need to crank up the lighting you have, and then reduce the ISO to make it look darker.

• You should read the Renderman page I linked to about getting rid of noise. No easy fix. https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/1673/debugging-and-optimization-1.html?l=h

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    mjc1016 said:
    ...Newegg has a GTX 740 with 4 GB GDDR5 for 138$ that also supports DX12. and OpenGL 4.4.  I tend to do more business with them as they are just "down the road" from me and I never had to deal with damaged or DOA parts. 

I used to use Newegg exclusively for pc parts and I might just be going back to them now. Yeasterday I knew I had better get started finding B-day gifts for my GF as it's coming up at the end of the month and if I was going to order anything, it had to be soon.

She's been complaining about her old monitor so I ordered one on Newegg yesterday and it's out for delivery today! Now that's fast!

marble said:
    Could you point to the tutorial about automatically excluding anything out of frame, please?

Abolutely, here is the tutorial Snow Sultan put up on Youtube, which also has the link to download his three-section-pane arrangement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJfIlk-4Yo

Also several other useful and well done tutorials there, a good resource.  Enjoy!

Abolutely, here is the tutorial Snow Sultan put up on Youtube, which also has the link to download his three-section-pane arrangement:

Where can I find that tower in the video? :)

Where can I find that tower in the video? :)

Snow Sultan says who made it and where it's sold at around 50 seconds in.

I'm at work so I am watching the video without sound :(

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

I REALLY appreciate that the render activity window now lists how large the scene file is. No need to go sleuthing, just... there it is.

I REALLY appreciate that the render activity window now lists how large the scene file is. No need to go sleuthing, just... there it is.

Hmmm...I have a scene open & rendering in 4.9.3.166 and I see no indication of the size of the scene I'm rendering on any of the 3 windows DAZ Studio has open.

You have the rendering progress maximized?

This is at the top of it on mine:

Rendering in NVIDIA Iray

Compiling Shaders - 0/1

Rendering image

Rendering...

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.5 IRAY rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Processing scene...

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.4 IRAY rend progr: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Processing scene...

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.7 IRAY rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 1.18487 GiB (device 0), 0 B (host)

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 1.18487 GiB (device 1), 0 B (host)

I don't know what controls Verbosity in this case, I haven't messed with any setting along those lines.

I think it's the button labeled "more info" or maybe just "more" on the iray progress bar when you start a render. It opens a text area that tells you what itteration you are on and the exact convergence percent ect.

edited January 2017

The button to push is "history >>"

Post edited by TheKD on

Yeah, that's it LOL

Duh duh duh. Thanks for correcting my dumb!

marble said:

Also several other useful and well done tutorials there, a good resource.  Enjoy!

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely use those section planes. There have been sets that I have returned for store credit because the PA created enclosed rooms with no option to hide the walls - this solves that problem.

BTW, I have seen Snow Sultan around here for years and visited his DevArt pages too but have always thought that he was a she. It happens all the time when I associate the avatar with the person. My avatar is Michelangelo's David, not because it is a marble statue (I believe it is bronze) but because my name is David :)

Rendering in NVIDIA Iray

Compiling Shaders - 0/1

Rendering image

Rendering...

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.5 IRAY rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Processing scene...

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.4 IRAY rend progr: CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 970): Processing scene...

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.7 IRAY rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 1.18487 GiB (device 0), 0 B (host)

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 1.18487 GiB (device 1), 0 B (host)

I don't know what controls Verbosity in this case, I haven't messed with any setting along those lines.

Ah, thanks. I was looking elsewhere. That has long since scrolled off the screen. I'll remember next time though.

Rendering in NVIDIA Iray

Compiling Shaders - 0/1

Rendering image

Rendering...

Ah, thanks. I was looking elsewhere. That has long since scrolled off the screen. I'll remember next time though.

As a matter of interest (and because I can't test it myself right now), does the Geometry memory consumption figure agree with what is reported by GPU-Z and/or the Simtenero memory reporting tool?