Post Your Toon Generations 2 renders

Comments

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,473
    carrie58 said:

Soo TG2 is wearing all M4 Cowboy outfit ,HiveWire horse with the Toon Morph by 3DU and 3DU's Vulture

THAT is epic! Nice work!

• Here's a few more. I am working on try out different ages of toons.

toon teens2.jpg
    1432 x 1074 - 481K
    edited January 2017

Loving the flexiblity of these Toon shapes. Also really digging the Ghost lights!

Muticia The Movie Goddess

Muticia New Set.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Greybro on
  • thenotoriousjedthenotoriousjed Posts: 397
    edited January 2017

This started as a randon render but as it shaped up an idea for a new story hit me. So here is the render that soon may be part of a new kids book. 

superhero services.jpg
    850 x 1100 - 810K
    Post edited by thenotoriousjed on
  • RainRain Posts: 335

So cute!!  i'm loving all these picturers.  I've been having a ball with the Toon characters, spending hours on the computer.  So much so that I have developed tennis elbow.  Not going to stop me though ;-)

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

blushThanks for all the great comments,good stuff to work with helps loads!

• We're so pleased to see everyone enjoying our Toon Generations 2 products. Thank you all for your support - keep the pics coming!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    edited January 2017

A little late for the season - or early for next Christmas?

Edit: Swapped photo to one with different beard.

And I want...

3DU ToonGen2 Santa and Boy_002.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

Would anyone be willing to share their IRay render settings? I was hoping these toons would render fast, but I'm at 1 hour and 17 minutes and although there's an image (still very grainy), it's still at 0%... Both my high end Mac and lower end Windows laptop render soooooo slowly because I don't have an NVIDIA card....  I like to render at about 2000-2400 dpi, so I guess the size slows it down too... Or maybe I should try out 3Delght but I'm liking the Pixar-ish look that Iray gives them...  I already have a ton of 3DU's toons but it's always fun to add new looks into the gene pool and great to be able to do older toons too! Render coming soon, I hope, or at least eventually...

edited January 2017

Would anyone be willing to share their IRay render settings? I was hoping these toons would render fast, but I'm at 1 hour and 17 minutes and although there's an image (still very grainy), it's still at 0%... Both my high end Mac and lower end Windows laptop render soooooo slowly because I don't have an NVIDIA card....  I like to render at about 2000-2400 dpi, so I guess the size slows it down too... Or maybe I should try out 3Delght but I'm liking the Pixar-ish look that Iray gives them...  I already have a ton of 3DU's toons but it's always fun to add new looks into the gene pool and great to be able to do older toons too! Render coming soon, I hope, or at least eventually...

There are render settings that came with the mega bundle. They include an HDRI and render very quickly.

edited January 2017

Oh, I didn't get the bundle, I guess I should have.  I wish there was a way just to get the settings. This is now at 2 hrs and 19 minutes, only at 2%!!!

I got bored and took a screenshot of a section that fits on the screen while it's still rendering and smoothed out the graininess in an iPad app. This is definitely going to be an over-nighter. Does anyone have any free render settings they'd be willing to share???

I have yet to do a render under 8 hours. I'm so jealous of people who can just post quickie renders. This is what I miss most about Poser, the quick render times. This would have rendered in 30 seconds in Poser...

image.jpeg
    1022 x 595 - 190K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • 3D Universe3D Universe Posts: 327
    edited January 2017

Oh, I didn't get the bundle, I guess I should have.  I wish there was a way just to get the settings. This is now at 2 hrs and 19 minutes, only at 2%!!!

Hi @Wonderland,

The lighting and render setup was included in the Mega-bundle as an extra for those who bought the full set. It isn't available seperately at this stage.

Your render is looking great though!

all the best,
    Steve

Post edited by 3D Universe on

Hi @Wonderland,

The lighting and render setup was included in the Mega-bundle as an extra for those who bought the full set. It isn't available seperately at this stage.

Your render is looking great though!

all the best,
    Steve

Thanks Steve, the original is still rendering, I think it's like 6 hours now, LOL. Your toons are all so amazing! How are you not working at Pixar??? Or maybe you are and do this in your free time?

edited January 2017

STOP, in the name of the LORD!!!
    This one is a Toon version of a character built on a FaceGen fisade of my buddy Robert who is a cinematographer and big fan of Peter Jackson. Anyone ever see, "Dead Alive?" You'll likely get the in joke.

Kicking Butt for The Lord

Post edited by Greybro on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited January 2017

I would try using no SSS, set 'thin shell' to ON. That might save you considerable time while still making a decent surface.

What's your hardware like?

Also, you can get a pretty decent Pixar look with 3DL. I believe Pixar actually USES 3DL, even (though not as limited as the version we have access to)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Good character, but I don't get the joke, as I've never seen Dead Alive and I've only seen 2 of Peter Jackson's movie's (which spent too much time on violence and not enough on the rest of the Tolkein books and the actual story).

I've like to see an honest attempt at Terry Practchett's Guards! Guards! made into a animated movie but having not read any of his other books I'm not so sure about those although they are proably good too.

edited January 2017

Here's another of my Santa scenes. This one took about 30 minutes to finish, to get rid of some pesky shadow noise under the little boy's jaw. I turned up the render settings to higher convergence percentage and quality 2. Other than that little bit of noise, it looked complete at about 20 minutes. This render is 2000 by 1600. Smaller would have been faster, of course.

3DU ToonGen2 Santa and Boy_006.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Aww, that's adorable, barbult! Love the expression and emotion here!

edited January 2017

Here is grandpa George. He took under 4 minutes to render. He doesn't have all that pesky fur of the Santa outfit. This was done with the default toon render settings, except I boosted the contrast with the tone mapping settings. I don't have any other lights in the scene. If you pixel peep close enough at full size, you can see some shadow noise. This render is 1236 by 1600. I use a GTX 980 Ti, which also drives my monitor.

@Wonderland, what render settings and lights are you using? Do you accidently have the Architectural Sampler on or do you have a lot of lights or emissive surfaces? The render I did of the blonde toon Brigitte holding the glass of tea was done with two pointlights and an HDRI. (This was before I discovered that I had the toon rendering preset, so hadn't tried it yet.)

3DU ToonGen2 George Char 6 Toon Render Settings Tone Mappe_002.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M

I rerendered toon Brigitte with the toon render settings (deleted my other lights). Again, I adjusted tonemapping to get a little more contrast. At the default toon render settings quality and convergence, she still has a little noise. But, it rendered in 3 minutes 14 seconds! I could easily let it go a higher convergence to get rid of the noise and still not have it take a long time.

I prefer the look of the render with the two point lights. It has better contrast and sharper reflections than the one lit only with the toon HDRI. The one with two point lights rendered in 6 minutes 40 seconds to the same convergence and quality level, but I did use a different pixel filter and filter radius (sharper) . In addition to the two point lights, it used a free HDRI I downloaded from HDRI Haven.

Llynara said:

Aww, that's adorable, barbult! Love the expression and emotion here!

Thanks,  Llynara, I think the toons are cute and quite expressive. I'm really surprised I like them as much as I do. I never rendered toons before, but now I am hooked on them. The mega bundle is a fun product to play with.

That Santa suit is hard to work with, though, because it has almost no adjustments and doesn't pose well. I had to make my own sitting morph. I'm not a skilled morph creator, so it is not very good, but passable in this circumstance, I think.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Photorealistic is cool, but I find less realistic stuff (whether the overall style, like lineart, or toon characters) can be really compelling and fun.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845

barbult, nicely done, especially the Santa.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Photorealistic is cool, but I find less realistic stuff (whether the overall style, like lineart, or toon characters) can be really compelling and fun.

These aren't my scene or style, but I can't help popping in for a look and a smile; not sure why, but they make me smile.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

First one I've had time to complete its a mix, the toon morph is at about 30% I think

elven-archer2.jpg
    990 x 1400 - 359K
    barbult said:

Here is grandpa George. He took under 4 minutes to render. He doesn't have all that pesky fur of the Santa outfit. This was done with the default toon render settings, except I boosted the contrast with the tone mapping settings. I don't have any other lights in the scene. If you pixel peep close enough at full size, you can see some shadow noise. This render is 1236 by 1600. I use a GTX 980 Ti, which also drives my monitor.

@Wonderland, what render settings and lights are you using? Do you accidently have the Architectural Sampler on or do you have a lot of lights or emissive surfaces? The render I did of the blonde toon Brigitte holding the glass of tea was done with two pointlights and an HDRI. (This was before I discovered that I had the toon rendering preset, so hadn't tried it yet.)

I used the default dome HDRI light that I turned around a bit, plus one light from Render Studio IRay, and I even kept a low amount of light from the headlamp. I originally tried a render setting/light from another purchased package but didn't like it so replaced their HDRI with the default but it may have changed the render settings. I always change the render settings for a bazillion seconds and 99% completion because the default shuts off after 2hrs at which point my renders are totally grainy. My Mac has 32 GB RAM and my PC laptop has 12 GB but neither has an NVIDIA card and both render from CPU only. I have no idea what I'm doing with render settings except for render timing and size, so if someone could give me some better render settings, that would be awesome. I'll add a screenshot of my last render settings in a bit...

Well, CPU only explains a lot of the slowness, I suppose. I have a very good Nvidia card, but not the top of the line and not one from the new series.

I don't have the Render Studio IRay product, but if it uses emissive surfaces and they have very many polygons, that can be very slow. The Ultra Genesis light product does that and is very very slow for me.

• barbult said:

I used the default dome HDRI light that I turned around a bit, plus one light from Render Studio IRay, and I even kept a low amount of light from the headlamp. I originally tried a render setting/light from another purchased package but didn't like it so replaced their HDRI with the default but it may have changed the render settings. I always change the render settings for a bazillion seconds and 99% completion because the default shuts off after 2hrs at which point my renders are totally grainy. My Mac has 32 GB RAM and my PC laptop has 12 GB but neither has an NVIDIA card and both render from CPU only. I have no idea what I'm doing with render settings except for render timing and size, so if someone could give me some better render settings, that would be awesome. I'll add a screenshot of my last render settings in a bit...

What CPU do you have? and which version of windows?
    I've got an NVIDIA card but only 3GB VRAM so it almost never gets used.  So most of my rendering is done on an intel i5 quad.  16GB RAM though.  I upgraded from 8 because my scenes kept going over that and once it's in the swap-file it takes so much longer.  Most of my scenes now are in the 12-14 GB usage (total system use, just running Win7 and DS).

I don't have the Toon Generations 2 yet - wishlisted for sure - but even complex scenes at 1200x900 aren't taking more than a couple of hours (4 hours once for a scene with lots of emissives).  Darker renders take longer to clear up but your render there looks light enough.

I'd try as Will suggested and turn off SSS - also check your surfaces for emissives that shouldn't be there (I converted an M4 map to Iray, didn't realise it had brought some emissive skin with it (too low a setting to see but it still gets calculated).

edited January 2017

Beach Girl

She has 50% Kalea dialed in, but I'm finding that dialing in other G3 morphs as very little visible effect, unless it is something like George, I also ran the randomizer on the toon morphs in the mega bundle.

3DU ToonGen 2 Beach Girl Kalea.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 2M