Ouch. These prices.

Comments

• SickleYield said:

Similarly, Daz sells our products at the price calculated to earn the most.  Too much and nobody buys; too little and people see our products as rubbish and still don't buy (a mistake other sites have made and that at least one has now rectified with minimum price guidelines).

I can confirm this part.

And they have overhead just like we do, and that gets added on as well.

Yep; servers and all the other little things ain't cheap, people.

• The biggest reason that I wait for products to go on sale is that there are so many excellent pieces that I'd love to buy, added to the Daz store every day.  There's no way my wallet can handle buying them all, even at 80% off.  I do buy quite a few things that I just can't live without, when they are first released.  I also will buy a new release when the incentive of other discounts and freebies makes it worthwhile to buy a product that I wasn't really sure I needed.  There are many that I absolutely want, but just can place in high priority.  For those items, I have to wait for a sale.  And, there are many items that I don't really think I need at all, but will pick up when the price is so low that I can't ignore them.  This is especially the case for products that are similar to items I already own.  They MIGHT be better...but, they might just be duplicating what I already own.  Even so, I will pick one or two of these up during a big sale because the risk is much lower.  Pose packages are some of the worst about duplication.  I'm not saying it's intentional, just that at least 4 of the G3F pose packages I've bought have one or two inspired poses, with the rest looking much the same as every other pose package.  So, a couple of dollars to get one or two good poses isn't so bad.

And, like other posters have mentioned, I have no desire to go the piracy route and steal anyone's hard work.

So, if I want to keep paying for food and all the other of life's expenses, and still buy a lot of good items at Daz, I must prioritize and wait for the sales on items that I just can't afford right now.

I'm not going to begin to tell an artist that their work isn't worth their price, no matter how high.  But, I will say that if I am waiting for a sale, it's because I want to stretch my Daz dollar as far as I can so that I can include a many of those great items as possible into my renders.

So, PAs shouldn't be too upset about the crazy sales.  I've picked up many items from many varied PAs that I probably would not ever have purchased without one of those crazy sales.  Some of those items I've never even used....and some have become go to favorites.

So no worries about high introductory prices and standard pricing.  If I can't afford it this instant, that PA might still get an opportunity to sell me their product at a later time.  What is great about the sales is that the PA actually gets that opportunity for a sale down the road, to buyers who might have ignored the product completely had it not been for the big discount.  I can understand that any artist would prefer to sell their hard work at a higher price point.  I feel the same way about my work.  But, at least with the sales, people might try the product instead of just ignoring it soley based on price.

• I truly beleave after so many years and 2300 models later the prices are'nt that bad for the work these artist put ito them.yes some are high for me but platnium club is a big saver.REAL BIG it's worth the buy.not so many years ago models were 100's of dolars untill daz came along.

• Karibou said:
    *snip*
    Tobor said:

For PAs complaining in public about customers complaining: is that really the smart thing to do? You tell me.

I didn't hear any PA complaints -- I heard a defense of their hard work.  And I heard frustration that they're barely able to turn a profit.  I heard that they often aren't in control of the discounts on their products. I heard civilized discourse, not complaining.  Also, I also don't believe that the DAZ forums are truly representative of the customer base.  People vote with their wallet.  *Snip*

This right here. 

All of Daz's business practices and all of ours individually are driven by the market and the movement of money.  Otherwise I'd be making nothing but monsters and multicolored men in drapey underpants. Singers of Chzor did all right; The Blue Ones did awful; Rigged Water Iray and Shackled are the most profitable things I've ever done so guess what, more novelty prop sets coming right up.

Similarly, Daz sells our products at the price calculated to earn the most.  Too much and nobody buys; too little and people see our products as rubbish and still don't buy (a mistake other sites have made and that at least one has now rectified with minimum price guidelines).  And they have overhead just like we do, and that gets added on as well.

I have no complaints about the pricing of my products, or about the people who buy them.  Would I like more people to buy them?  Sure.  Do I think that large group of people not buying my products specifically are represented by forum complaints?  Probably not.  The forum asks for things that take twice as long to make but cost half as much, or that not enough people will buy.

BTW....I LOVE Fast Flames!  Keep doing your niche props. :)

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited December 2016
    Karibou said:

The forum asks for things that take twice as long to make but cost half as much, or that not enough people will buy.

*raises hand* I would like to ask for monsters and multicolored men in drapey underpants...

Can't really agree with this.  A lot of things asked for in the forum are pretty basic and practical,  like more ethnic characters for instance, or more "normal" clothing for characters in the place of skimp wear.  The same for at least one preteen basic character for people who might want to do renders with children ( and I'm sorry, but to get a kid character that looks like a child up to this point has been a LOT of work that probably put a lot of people off, so saying not enough people would not buy it is a bit premature but . . . logic)

There seems to be this idea that all PAs consistently make stuff that will sell to the greatest number of people, but if that is truly the case, there are a WHOLE lot of inexplicible items, that I really have to wonder about who some of these customers are that are buying some of this stuff.   wink

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • Can't really agree with this.  A lot of things asked for in the forum are pretty basic and practical,  like more ethnic characters for instance, or more "normal" clothing for characters in the place of skimp wear.  The same for at least one preteen basic character for people who might want to do renders with children ( and I'm sorry, but to get a kid character that looks like a child up to this point has been a LOT of work that probably put a lot of people off, so saying not enough people would not buy it is a bit premature but . . . logic)

It's also not as easy to get stuff through first image submission as some people think. I'm having to redo the girl character I'm working on to see if they will accept her this time around.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    Karibou said:

The forum asks for things that take twice as long to make but cost half as much, or that not enough people will buy.

*raises hand* I would like to ask for monsters and multicolored men in drapey underpants...

Can't really agree with this. *snip*

Lol -- this was not an opinion up for discussion, but a statement of fact.  *I* would like monsters and multicolored men in drapey underpants. laugh  (You're all entitled to want more mundane things like normal clothing.)

• I think (men in drapey underpants) are down at the moment !

Sorry couldn't help myself angel

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,569

Hmmm multicolored men in drapey underpants...   I'll take some of that most especially if they aren't blue. For some reason. Blue people seem well represented in the store. Time for other colors to shine.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861
    edited December 2016

I think you people have waaaaaay too much time on your hands. cheeky

Post edited by Novica on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    Karibou said:

Can't really agree with this.  A lot of things asked for in the forum are pretty basic and practical,  like more ethnic characters for instance, or more "normal" clothing for characters in the place of skimp wear.  The same for at least one preteen basic character for people who might want to do renders with children ( and I'm sorry, but to get a kid character that looks like a child up to this point has been a LOT of work that probably put a lot of people off, so saying not enough people would not buy it is a bit premature but . . . logic)

There seems to be this idea that all PAs consistently make stuff that will sell to the greatest number of people, but if that is truly the case, there are a WHOLE lot of inexplicible items, that I really have to wonder about who some of these customers are that are buying some of this stuff.   wink

I've already said my piece on children's content and I'm not going to rehearse that argument again. As for characters, it appears the market is a lot fonder of 1. white and Asian people and 2. girls than anybody else. Faces of Asia sold double what Faces of Africa did and the G2 female version is on my top 10 of all time (neither the male version nor either Africa set could compete,and both those trends repeat with G3). I started out making random things I liked that I thought might sell, then focused back down to the ones that were. I think most of us do. Difficulty to reward ratio is also a big factor. And if I tell you we made a wizard set at tremendous effort and it sold awful, or we made a huge demon set over months and Daz rejected it flat, and then I made two simple sets in a week and had the biggest month of my year, maybe you will see why I'm not eager to go back to large risky clothing sets of any kind.
    edited December 2016
    Karibou said:
    Karibou said:

Lol -- this was not an opinion up for discussion, but a statement of fact.  *I* would like monsters and multicolored men in drapey underpants. laugh  (You're all entitled to want more mundane things like normal clothing.)

I wasn't disagreeing with you,  but the initial statement  leads to some very sketchy conclusions about the Daz core base  if you take it at face value, but it does explain why Daz really can't "grow up", because unless PA's are actually getting a lot of commission work doing custom jobs a lot of content (that people people won't buy) is the stuff that one would need to do professional work on a regular basis without having to do major tweaking and really becoming somewhat of a professional on the inner workings of Daz oneself.  And if you're wanting to do stuff with non white/ Asian perfect females;  you're really kinda'  S#@t outta' luck, or at best completely reliant on the whims of a PA who just decides they are going to make one of those characters regardless.

You might get those drapey multi-colored underpants though;  you just might have to use Zev's Crossfit app to use them.  wink

• I truly beleave after so many years and 2300 models later the prices are'nt that bad for the work these artist put ito them.yes some are high for me but platnium club is a big saver.REAL BIG it's worth the buy.not so many years ago models were 100's of dolars untill daz came along.

I couldn't agree more.  It's not really about what the PA's time or talent is worth when it boils down to prices.  For some items I'm amazed that they can make any money for the hundreds of hours that must've gone into creation.  So, I can't complain about a $20 or even $50 item based on it's artistic merit or the effort of creation.  I can only hope that the prices are low enough for me to put it in my shopping cart.  If I were earning a lot of money from my 3D work, I'd probably just buy commercial licenses from my favorite artists and buy custom work on a per project basis.  But as things are, I have to budget my 3D spending as an extra after all the other bills.

There is no doubt in my mind that Poser and Daz Studio, and in turn, Renderosity and Daz3D sites, have played a big part in widespread availability of quality models and tools for amateur and pro 3D artists.  Not only does it give us amateurs a huge pool of good resources.  It also creates a huge market for 3D artists to sell their wares direct instead of relying only on contract work.

When I first used Poser 3 (or was it 2? LOL), You pretty much had what came with the software for models and basic wear.  One nice thing is the basic morphs that are extra packages in Daz, were included.  There were quite a few ethnic and body morphs that came standard.  That said, the software cost around $99...compared to Daz Studio at $0.  Most of the time back then, I'd create a basic, hairless or block haired, naked or minimally dressed model...pose it, then render.  The render was whatever Poser's raytracing engine was at the time, or just as often an OpenGL.  Then, I'd take the render to Photoshop and paint whatever details I needed to the hair and clothing.

The point is that after more than a decade of doing nothing with 3D models, I was blown away by all the available models and tools at Daz...at reasonable prices.

It's a double edged sword...awesome in that I can get great characters, tools, and props for decent prices.  The downside is that no matter how reasonable the prices are, I can't buy them all...even all of the items that I'd really like to own.  So, I do have to watch for sales and hope that I can get a few more of these great items in my cart and keep it within my Daz budget.  So I hope that none of the talented PAs out there take it as an insult when I say that I'm excited when one of their items that I've been watching for months, goes on sale for a deep discount.

As to monsters and men with drapey, multicolor underpants - I'm all for 'em.  But, I do consider them an "extra," meaning they are something I might need for a specific project or story illustration.  They are fun and attention getters for the sale.  But, I haven't had much need for them in the past.  Lately, I've been buying more of them because I'm working on a fantasy story that will need a monster or two.  But that said, I tend to buy the Creator packages that have a lot of morphs to create my own monster characters, rather than buying a specific one.  I love the look of the Minotaur and others, and have almost bought it a dozen times.  It just always comes in at low priority when I'm shaving dollars off my cart.  I keep wondering what I'm going to use it for.  Nevertheless, I'm sure I'll pick it up soon .

I feel the same way about the beautiful characters available.  I have a bunch from several PAs.  But, I enjoy creating my own people and use them in my renders more the the already created characters.  So, when I'm shopping, I tend to buy more hair and outfits and tools to expand my own character creation.

So, if the PAs and Daz are interested in my priorities when it comes to buying: 1. Shaders (good shaders make everything better). 2. Environments (all these characters need places to be.) 3. Efx and props (lights, emitters, fog...) 4. Merchant Resources for Characters (I like knowing that I can sell what I've created if I ever decide to do it). 5. Hair (a new hairstyle can completely change the look.)  6.Clothing (I always seem to run out of clothing options). 7. Premade Characters (I still buy them. But, they are the lowest priority.  Usually when I do buy them, it's because they are just so well done that I want to collect them.)

So, hat's off to all you talented PAs out there.  I'll be supporting you best as I can. :)

• Karibou said:
    Karibou said:

I wasn't disagreeing with you,  but the initial statement  leads to some very sketchy conclusions about the Daz core base  if you take it at face value, but it does explain why Daz really can't "grow up", because unless PA's are actually getting a lot of commission work doing custom jobs a lot of content (that people people won't buy) is the stuff that one would need to do professional work on a regular basis without having to do major tweaking and really becoming somewhat of a professional on the inner workings of Daz oneself.  And if you're wanting to do stuff with non white/ Asian perfect females;  you're really kinda'  S#@t outta' luck, or at best completely reliant on the whims of a PA who just decides they are going to make one of those characters regardless.

You might get those drapey multi-colored underpants though;  you just might have to use Zev's Crossfit app to use them.  wink

PAs (and DAZ, of course) need to see products selling at a certain level at a certain time before they will be willing to make more of them. Buyers may not always want them right then, but without the initial sales, vendors will fall back to the "guaranteed sellers".

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

I still think kickstarters and patreons might be a good thing for PAs to experiment with.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    Navi said:
    Ivy said:
    Navi said:
    Ivy said:
    Navi said:
    Ivy said:

I could not agree more I still prefer genesis 2 over most other characters,  I made a conscience decision  when genesis 3 came out to not invest in it until genesis 4 comes out and see if g4 breaks compatibility with g3 if so I'll never invest in it. . breaking compatibility with older generations has been the common practice of daz since genesis 1 release., so I'll wait and see.  But I totally agree I really wish there where more genesis 2 Items supported.

Completely skipping a whole generation require more abnegation than I have :) , I'm just using G2 more often than G3 for my renders, but I see your point, even if it sounds hard to do.

its not that Hard to pass over a generation of content. I still buy a lot of environment content.  I passed over genesis until genesis 2 came out.  Genesis 3 though broke compatibility with all older generations. which really isn't a big deal if your using daz for just rendering still graphics. But my primary use for daz studio is animation (Ivys Animations) . so I need stuff to be supported across the board or have tools to make them so , Other wise its just a lot of work, work, work trying to get this to work with that. compatibility is a big deal for my needs where as some people it may not matter much. . that is why its not hard for me to skip Genesis 3 to see if genesis 4 is going to be compatible. I already have enough older characters to last a life time 

Very cool animations I must say :) , even the sound is very well made

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to watch them :) . I guess creating animation is really my primary interest in using Daz studio & why I am just hanging back to see what happens ,if and when genesis 4 comes out . if g4 does not have compatibility with g3, Then I'll properly will never invest in any g3 products. its just to hard to work with for what I like to do with daz studio and there is a seriously lacking in tools for working with g3 in animation as well where older generations from genesis 2 on down to v3 all work with my already existing motions file library  so If I have to build  files motions for genesis 3 I'll want to make sure g4 can use them too :) If not  like I said I properly wont invest in g3 other wise.

You're welcome :) , the one I've watched was impressive, at the beginning of the car race, there are plenty of people dancing and all, I was really wondering how much ressources all these assets could use :) . In any case, great work all around on these, must take a *lot* of time to create. You should put a link in your sig ;)

Thank you very much for the nice compliment   I use to have links in my sig for my website and YouTube , but most people including me have viewing sig's option turned off, so i don't mind posting a link now and then in the forums when appropriate. :)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    Karibou said:

I second the motion  yes :)

• I still think kickstarters and patreons might be a good thing for PAs to experiment with.

I think so, too. There are many LARP crowdfunded projects that seem to work. They, too, face a somewhat limited market size and crowdfunding is a way to LARPers to get products that meet their own expectations.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,380
    edited December 2016

@ we sell what people buy

The argumentation presented only looks at cause and effect from one perspective.

If you only advertise female characters you are bound to only attract customers who buy female characters.

If you advertise with "free" software you are bound to attract people with a limited budget who want to do 3d as a hobby.

If there are no bridges or plugins for DAZ content for professional software and the content is only useable in DAZ Studio itself you are bound to only attract people who want to "experiment" with 3d content and not "work" with it.

- - -

-> The question is:

What kind of users does DAZ3d want to attract in the future?

If the goal is to focus on female characters then keep doing what you are doing.

If you want to attract a different type of user then you have to finally make the necessary changes.

-> Start advertising envrironment, transportation and prop products as well

-> Update DAZ Studio "Pro" to be a software ready for professional workflows with all required features accessible to paying customers

-> Make DAZ3D content useable in professional software with Iray support with bridges and plugins

- - -

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • I'll back up what SickleYield says.  When I was in the business of making custom Halloween masks, most of the other mask makers in the industry would arbitrarily grab prices out of their butt and set everything in the $200-$300 range.  I sat down and ran all the math on how much it cost me to make a mask.  The hours sculpting and molding, the materials costs of the armature and the clay and the tools and the cement, sealers, etc.  The energy and water and heating gas that was used.  The time and materials in casting a piece, trimming and painting, hairing, finishing, etc.  I calculated that I could make a massive profit on each mask at a price of about $60.

Naturally, there were plenty of people in a very vocal community of collectors who scoffed at $200 prices.  But I also had a significantly uphill fight convincing people that a $60 mask wasn't a piece of junk, it was a $200 mask with a mathmatically calculated price.  So there is the subconscious idea that something cheap can't be of good quality.

All of that said, I do my best to keep my prices in range for hobbyists and also try to make my sets multi-purpose or friendly to kitbashing, so the buyer can get the most possible out of them.  Some of the houses I sell here for $20 or $30 would go for hundreds on, say, Turbosquid, and it's actually more work getting them ready for Daz Studio.  So I sympathize with the hobbyists who don't want to drop thousands of dollars on assets.  But you also have to understand that there are many PAs in my position, where this is our job and our sole source of income.  If you don't buy, I don't eat.  So I try to do the best work I can for the most reasonable prices, so that rent keeps getting paid!

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I'll back up what SickleYield says.  When I was in the business of making custom Halloween masks, most of the other mask makers in the industry would arbitrarily grab prices out of their butt and set everything in the $200-$300 range.  I sat down and ran all the math on how much it cost me to make a mask.  The hours sculpting and molding, the materials costs of the armature and the clay and the tools and the cement, sealers, etc.  The energy and water and heating gas that was used.  The time and materials in casting a piece, trimming and painting, hairing, finishing, etc.  I calculated that I could make a massive profit on each mask at a price of about $60.

Naturally, there were plenty of people in a very vocal community of collectors who scoffed at $200 prices.  But I also had a significantly uphill fight convincing people that a $60 mask wasn't a piece of junk, it was a $200 mask with a mathmatically calculated price.  So there is the subconscious idea that something cheap can't be of good quality.

All of that said, I do my best to keep my prices in range for hobbyists and also try to make my sets multi-purpose or friendly to kitbashing, so the buyer can get the most possible out of them.  Some of the houses I sell here for $20 or $30 would go for hundreds on, say, Turbosquid, and it's actually more work getting them ready for Daz Studio.  So I sympathize with the hobbyists who don't want to drop thousands of dollars on assets.  But you also have to understand that there are many PAs in my position, where this is our job and our sole source of income.  If you don't buy, I don't eat.  So I try to do the best work I can for the most reasonable prices, so that rent keeps getting paid!

This is where sales would work well: set the regular price to be higher, but have frequent sales to reflect the mathematically analyzed fair price.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited December 2016

deleted contents as not formatting correctly

Post edited by nicstt on
    edited December 2016
    Karibou said:

Valandar said:

We price the item at $12. Most people end up paying $5-6 thanks to discounts as deep as 60%. So those 250 sales get us, say $2.75 each, or $690 rounded to the nearest $10. On top of this, most clothing items take a MINIMUM of two weeks to do properly, and a lot of us work a lot longer than 8 hours a day. Even if that's two work weeks of 80 hours, that's only an average of $8.63 an hour. Barely above minimum wage, and usually not enough to cover all the usual bills.

This.  And people (at least in the US) who are self-employed also need to think about benefits like health and dental. 

Fauvist said:

I think to myself - "how long would it take me to make this myself - is it worth the $20?"  It's worth it because it would take me 6 months or longer to make any of this content.  The artists are also packing their talent and ingenuity and taste into their products.  The content sold here is inspiring. 

And this.  I couldn't make my art if the PAs didn't make and sell theirs.

Tobor said:

For PAs complaining in public about customers complaining: is that really the smart thing to do? You tell me.

I didn't hear any PA complaints -- I heard a defense of their hard work.  And I heard frustration that they're barely able to turn a profit.  I heard that they often aren't in control of the discounts on their products. I heard civilized discourse, not complaining.  Also, I also don't believe that the DAZ forums are truly representative of the customer base.  People vote with their wallet.  My total post count in these forums (even if we add the ones erased in the forum extinction when the website was updated) is exponentially lower than the money I've spent here.  The best way to ask for lower pricing is to not buy things you find to be too expensive.  If enough people do the same, the product becomes unprofitable and the vendor will adjust pricing. Asking vendors nicely to reduce prices is fine, but I can't imagine any business model that would subscribe to that as a baseline strategy.  It's Econ 101. For any product, businesses charge the most that people are willing to pay for it.

It's human nature to complain that things are too expensive.  But when things really ARE too expensive, they either go away because the business making it goes under, or prices adjust.  Nobody would charge $125 for a bra if enough people weren't buying them to make them profitable!

Like we don't have to be customers; PAs do not have to be PAs. Customers can chose to make the attempt, or not, to become a PA. I've thought about submitting a couple of the cars I've made, but tbh, I just don't want to spend the time figuring out the Daz aspects; I recently made an item from my own use and am considering releasing it 'as is' as a freebie.

Customers are allowed to complain; staff, suppliers, contractors, and sub-contractors (or whatever else they may be termed) do of course, but they had better be careful about how they do it.

A PA made a comment in a thread; I still don't buy their products, I didn't even bother with their freebie/or insanely discounted item - I forget which - that was released some time in the past.

Post edited by nicstt on
    edited December 2016

I still think kickstarters and patreons might be a good thing for PAs to experiment with.

+10

I made a similar suggestion for creating a version of studio for Linux; I'd happily pay upfront for that. I get that such an item may be released for free, but I'd be prepared to put my money where my mouth is.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • @ we sell what people buy

The argumentation presented only looks at cause and effect from one perspective.

If you only advertise female characters you are bound to only attract customers who buy female characters.

If you advertise with "free" software you are bound to attract people with a limited budget who want to do 3d as a hobby.

If there are no bridges or plugins for DAZ content for professional software and the content is only useable in DAZ Studio itself you are bound to only attract people who want to "experiment" with 3d content and not "work" with it.

- - -

-> The question is:

What kind of users does DAZ3d want to attract in the future?

If the goal is to focus on female characters then keep doing what you are doing.

If you want to attract a different type of user then you have to finally make the necessary changes.

-> Start advertising envrironment, transportation and prop products as well

-> Update DAZ Studio "Pro" to be a software ready for professional workflows with all required features accessible to paying customers

-> Make DAZ3D content useable in professional software with Iray support with bridges and plugins

- - -

And yet many of these things do exist; the ads for other than female DAZ content, bridges and pluginsvto at least several well supported file formats and software applications.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

The reason I think kickstarters might be a good idea is that of the nonstandard things... some of them prove really popular. Many fail hard.

It's a pain for PAs to take the risk on an odd product doing well.

A kickstarter, on the other hand, lets a PA know an idea is just not catching on without wasting the work.

• Tried a Kickstarter last year.  All I got was 700 emails from services wanting to advertise my Kickstarter for more money than I needed to raise.  I still get them, and it's been over a year since the Kickstarter ended.  Only got one donation, and that was from a friend.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,863

Not to mention for a successful Kickstarter you need a project that's fairly far along already. People are not going to shell out money on a few promising words.

edited December 2016

Daz isn't really set up for something like Kickstarter, because the best kickstarters work for people who have followings.  The people PA's are known by are the customers they already cater to (who also already aren't buying those niche items, nor are they willing to pay what the PA's time is worth,  we are being told.)  Kickstarters work for people who have a core following that like what the person is already doing, and want more of it and bigger and better.

You don't do a kickstart to appeal to people who don't know you; nor does it work well for people who don't have significant numbers of people who have cash. Also kickstarters tend to work with incentives.  What are PA's going to use as an incentive; discounts on previous merchandise; the item being funded?  That kinda' defeats the purpose.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 2016
    Karibou said:
    Karibou said:

Those "sketchy conclusions" are 100% correct.  The market disproportionately monetarily rewards certain things.  To get around that you have to be able to make a higher-than-normal quality product in an unreal amount of time, and a lot of us just can't.  I joke about multicolored sparkleboys in loincloths because the market hates things that involve pretty men or the female gaze where it conflicts with the male gaze; the market also strictly enforces the "monster threshold" when it comes to characters (they have to be either tinted human or nonhuman enough to be monsters). 

I have every hope that Unity will provide me more opportunities to make critters and money at the same time.  The other thing is probably just hopeless in public 3D.

Commissions don't make money.  The hourly people are willing to pay is way, way lower than the hourly for selling in the store.

Post edited by SickleYield on