Ouch. These prices.

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Actually, the only kind of artists I know who make less money with their work are authors, at least those who haven't written a bestseller yet. So I don't begrudge the PAs any single dollar they get. But 3D is a hobby for me, most of the time, and I already spent way more money than I should have ... There ist still a family which want's to live on my money.  So, waiting for discounts.

Yep, you got that right! I can't tell you how many copies of my work I've given away or charged very little for. My first book took a long time to publish, and many years worth of experience to write. But there are people who will gladly pay more for a hamburger or a coffee than a book. Such is life. Most of us create because we can't NOT create. Until I can make a living off my creativity (whether it be art, writing, music or something else). I'll keep my dayjob and be my own patron. It is what it is! 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,135
    Tobor said:
    Personally, I'd rather sell 500 copies of something at $10 each, than 250 copies at $20. Same royalty in the end, but if I do a good job, now I have twice the chance of turning a drive-by customer into an ongoing loyal buyer.

Seems goods in theory, but that only works if there are 500 people willing to buy the product at 10$. If setting the price at $10 instead of $20 only brings you 100 additional customers then you have earned $3500 instead of $5000, and maybe won a few extra future purchases if you're lucky.

And contrary to what a lot of customers seem to think, the market for poser/DS content is very small: products are usually considered successful if they sell 200 or 300 copies during intro period, which is when they will make most of their total sales.

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,482
    edited December 2016
    Tobor said:

You're paying for 13 yrs Ive dedicated to learning how to do all this stuff, and dedicating myself to constantly improving my own stuff

You're paying for thousands upon thousands of dollars Ive spent on software, to make this stuff, or make it even better.

You're paying for my skill. You're paying for the convenience of not having to do it all yourselves.

This is all well and good, and points well taken. But it's not the per-piece price that matters, it's how much royalty you make overall. I'm not a 3D digital PA, but I am a full-time professional writer with over 65 books. Millions of copies in print, dozens of languages, yada yada yawn.

If I knew I'd only sell 200 copies of a book, and my royalties were $2 per book, I'd spend no more than a day or two on it. Of course, such a book would be useless - no one can write a decent book in that amount of time. So instead, I write books that take 2-5 months, and expect a far larger number to sell. Otherwise I might as well be a greeter at Walmart. Granted, books probably sell more than 3D assets, but (most) publishers know how to price them to sell in the highest volumes possible. They've had a long time to learn how. 

I'm sure Daz has done much market research on finding the "sweet spot" price for a product, so maybe X sales for Y dollars yields the highest overall earnings. However, that doesn't mean markets, economies, and buying habits don't change, so these are things that need to be tested and retested on a regular basis. Personally, I'd rather sell 500 copies of something at $10 each, than 250 copies at $20. Same royalty in the end, but if I do a good job, now I have twice the chance of turning a drive-by customer into an ongoing loyal buyer.

The best thing Daz and PAs can do is listen to their customers in threads like this. Doesn't mean you have to always lower your price, but an ongoing complaint such as prices rising far faster than inflation needs some attention.

Your post assumes two things: That we don't know our market and that we dont price to reflect it. Just because there are some people in this thread upset over prices being too high, doesn't mean thats the general consensus. There are far more customers on DAZ than is properly represented on this forum.

At the end of the day, the point is to make money. Whether I get there by A or B in your example, doesn't exactly matter.... when the end game is the same amount. Thats basic marketing there. Units is entirely irrelevant, unless your goal is to be popular over making money. Most people who do this professionally are interested in money tho, not a popularity contest. Or to be fair, both. But Ive never heard a single person say... gee, I hope I dont make any money off this thing.

One of the things I find hard to digest, is that I have never once thot gee, i cant afford that tv and then went and complained to Sony that their tv's are too expensive and that they need to lower the cost because *I* cant afford it. In a very public and embarrassing way to boot. And yet, this is something thats very prevalent in this business. And the funny thing is, over the course of 13 yrs... no matter how low the prices go (or how many sales there are, or steeper discounts, etc) there are still some people who will always say its too much, its too much.

And I get it... I come from modest beginnings. There was a time where I couldn't afford to buy content. But I got this idea... Ill make content to pay for my hobby.... which then became my job. And the rest is history.

Post edited by IgnisSerpentus on
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

AllenArt said:
    Tobor said:

For me the prices are "okay" for professional use, because it's all tax deductible anyway. I'm okay spending $30 to make $300. But I do raise my eyebrows about this "Make Money with Your Hobby" thing that's in the main banner. The prices seem high for a hobby. Prices on Rendo or the old RDNA seem more in line with that idea.

That doesn't mean I still buy at full price, even for a paid project. Since Daz has demonstrated their willingness for deep cuts for sales items, I'm okay playing along. It does mean that I may not ever buy an item in my wishlist, which is  a lost sale to them. If they're okay with it, I'm okay with it. 

You've obviously never done model trains or dollhouses ;). Talk about your high prices for a hobby....owwww ;).

Laurie

Or looked at something like this: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008879 Talk about sticker shock...

What on earth? Does that really say 5k to 3.3GHz? What kind of magic did they put in that box? That seems pretty cheap for $13k USD...

• Valandar said:

One thing a lot of people seem to be ignoring is that the sheer number of sales, discounts, specials, and fastgrabs has gone up every year.

Ten years ago, a given outfit would have cost, say, $18.95 at regular price. But unless you bought it during its two week intro sale, or during the PA Sale or March Madness, you paid the full price, all $18.95 of it.

Nowadays, the same outfit is, say, $21.95 - but on any given day you purchase, if it's not a PA Sale type situation, you're still getting a huge discount, often 50% or more depending on stacking discounts.

End result? You're paying MUCH less, on the average, than you think - and think you're paying more because the base cost is higher.

Seriously. Think about it.

That is interesting. I assume that Daz does not do the sales out of pure friendlyness, but for economic reasons. This means that Daz does lower the overall or average price for items by doing more sales; whereas the PAs try to raise their average winning by raising the individual price. In summary PAs and Daz working perfectly against each other.

Another aspect might be that there are more PAs today than there were ten years ago. Double the number of PAs and then each PA would only get half the money. I will not eat more, just because there are more bakeries in my neighborhood than there were ten years ago either. More sellers means less customers for each one. Unless there are more buyers accordingly. So the strategy of PAs should be (or is) to reduce the number of PAs (by forcing their PA-mates into bankruptcy for instance). If raising prices is a good strategy for this remains to be seen. On the other hand, this is not an open market place, otherwise we should probably see the occasional $500-character model pop up in the store  (and the $1-model, too) like on turbosquid. But that does not happen, so something's stopping the PAs from doing it.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    Valandar said:

One thing a lot of people seem to be ignoring is that the sheer number of sales, discounts, specials, and fastgrabs has gone up every year.

Ten years ago, a given outfit would have cost, say, $18.95 at regular price. But unless you bought it during its two week intro sale, or during the PA Sale or March Madness, you paid the full price, all $18.95 of it.

Nowadays, the same outfit is, say, $21.95 - but on any given day you purchase, if it's not a PA Sale type situation, you're still getting a huge discount, often 50% or more depending on stacking discounts.

End result? You're paying MUCH less, on the average, than you think - and think you're paying more because the base cost is higher.

Seriously. Think about it.

That is interesting. I assume that Daz does not do the sales out of pure friendlyness, but for economic reasons. This means that Daz does lower the overall or average price for items by doing more sales; whereas the PAs try to raise their average winning by raising the individual price. In summary PAs and Daz working perfectly against each other.

Another aspect might be that there are more PAs today than there were ten years ago. Double the number of PAs and then each PA would only get half the money. I will not eat more, just because there are more bakeries in my neighborhood than there were ten years ago either. More sellers means less customers for each one. Unless there are more buyers accordingly. So the strategy of PAs should be (or is) to reduce the number of PAs (by forcing their PA-mates into bankruptcy for instance). If raising prices is a good strategy for this remains to be seen. On the other hand, this is not an open market place, otherwise we should probably see the occasional $500-character model pop up in the store  (and the $1-model, too) like on turbosquid. But that does not happen, so something's stopping the PAs from doing it.

The best way to "force your competitors into bankruptcy" from MY viewpoint is to do a better product for the same price, not charge less for the same product...

• NaviNavi Posts: 443
    Ivy said:
    Navi said:
    Ivy said:

I could not agree more I still prefer genesis 2 over most other characters,  I made a conscience decision  when genesis 3 came out to not invest in it until genesis 4 comes out and see if g4 breaks compatibility with g3 if so I'll never invest in it. . breaking compatibility with older generations has been the common practice of daz since genesis 1 release., so I'll wait and see.  But I totally agree I really wish there where more genesis 2 Items supported.

Completely skipping a whole generation require more abnegation than I have :) , I'm just using G2 more often than G3 for my renders, but I see your point, even if it sounds hard to do.

its not that Hard to pass over a generation of content. I still buy a lot of environment content.  I passed over genesis until genesis 2 came out.  Genesis 3 though broke compatibility with all older generations. which really isn't a big deal if your using daz for just rendering still graphics. But my primary use for daz studio is animation (Ivys Animations) . so I need stuff to be supported across the board or have tools to make them so , Other wise its just a lot of work, work, work trying to get this to work with that. compatibility is a big deal for my needs where as some people it may not matter much. . that is why its not hard for me to skip Genesis 3 to see if genesis 4 is going to be compatible. I already have enough older characters to last a life time 

Very cool animations I must say :) , even the sound is very well made.

j cade said:
    Navi said:

Adding G2 support on a hair means making a completely separate hair generally. If it's prop hair, it's no more than making a fit, but then it won't automatically fit any custom characters properly. If it's conforming hair (which most are these days), then that means a separate model with it's own rigging and weight-mapping. All those style and movement morphs have to be redone for the 2nd model, etc. I'm not saying supporting G2 isn't awesome, just that it's a lot of work to do it right. That's why (I would guess) that most of the people that are supporting G2 with hair (or clothes) are putting out 2 packages and a bundle-- G2, G3, and both. I forget what my point was... 

Yes, I know, and this has been a kind of "standard" until about 6 months ago, but today the problem is, we can't get G2 support at all, even by paying an extra... There are no more G3-G2 bundle or anything, just G2 treated like a dead figure. That was my concern.

One recent exception was Margot hair by AprilYSH... Props to her for that one :) .

argel1200 said:

Yeah, hair props are some of the most versatile across generations whether support is officially there or not. I still buy V4 hair for use on G3F (like from the current RDNA sale).

Parenting hair can help a lot indeed, but with hairs like these (very sleek, with hairline and temples/lower neck not covered/visible), usually it doesn't give very clean results.

Have you tried using the smoothing modifier? Set it to collide to the figure, and you can make just about anything have a clean connection

Yes, it can help sometimes, but this is no 100% reliable, ie. when the neck doesn't have the same angle than on the figure's head. Plus, you can get some "unwanted" effects from face/head morphs into the hair sometimes, when they have strands near the eyes. But sure this is a good tip :) .

• NaviNavi Posts: 443
    Karibou said:

Comparatively, this stuff is actually pretty feasibly priced. And its cheaper than drugs and therapy.... so there is that.

Lol!  Yes. This! 

So... Thread recap/highlights

• People hate their budgets
    • A good bra is hard to find
    • Art is cheaper than drugs or therapy

cheeky

... And hairs need a G2F version to be complete :)

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,995

It is even more an issue when you have to factor in currency exchange rates..  Case in point that $45 US you quoted in your OP is about $60.50 AUD, that is a fair chunk of change when you have a limited budget..

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I have a different sort of ouch......massive file sizes for simple clothing.

Four hundred plus MB for a t-shirt? Oochkabooble!

• NathNath Posts: 2,735
    ghosty12 said:

It is even more an issue when you have to factor in currency exchange rates..  Case in point that $45 US you quoted in your OP is about $60.50 AUD, that is a fair chunk of change when you have a limited budget..

Exactly.

A few years ago the Euro sat at 1,3 to 1,4 to the dollar (with a top of 1,6 at one point). Nowadays it's closer to 1,05-1,10 (and 1,02 if I use Paypal). That alone is a massive price rise (though admittedly out of DAZ's control - LOL)

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401
    edited December 2016

I can only assume, that these deeper and deeper discounts DAZ is offering are direct result to rising base prices. PAs increase their base prices, and DAZ gives better discounts to maximize profits, because they know what their customerbase is willing to pay. Early adopters are willing to pay more, and customers with fixed budget are not. I don't think DAZ is making more and more lucrative deals just so that PA's wouldn't make a living or because they hate their PA's and love their customers, but because they will get more money in the end that way. End result is, that early adopters pay more, and those that are willing to wait, get the items about the same price, or even cheaper. Of course PA's back catalog lose value in this kind of process, but maybe that's inflation in DAZland.

As a concept, I think it's a good idea to sell textures and models as a separate package, since that gives us customer more options. Customer can choose if they want both, or just a single product....but, when textures or base model cost about the same as same PA's normal character package ( Anna HD or Michi HD $19.95 vs http://www.daz3d.com/topmodel-texture-for-genesis-3-female-s $17.95 and http://www.daz3d.com/topmodel-hd-morphs-for-victoria-7 $15.95), then I think prices are definitely rising, and fast. Unless Raya's earlier products were grossly underpriced ( to me they look top end priced compared to rest of the DAZ shop ) or much much poorer quality than this new texture or base model, this is huge price increase from $19.95 to $35.90. PA's can try to spin that however they like, but it's a hard fact, that when we are talking about almost 80% increase in base prices, that is a significant increase. 

The bundle as a whole, has not gone up so much. For example Egyptian mega bundle was $94.95 with 7 products, so $13.56 per product, while Topmodel bundle is $59.95 with 4 products ( I count textures and model as one since Egyptian bundle also had character and textures as one item) is $14.99 per product. Of course we can debate how much pose set is worth compared to character or hair set, so this was just a rough estimate.

All and all, what we are really talking about here is money. As I'm writing this, Topmodel bundle seems to be #1 in What's hot list, so I assume PA's did well, and we as customers should prepare for higher base prices. Of course DAZ don't want to lose customers to Rendo or other sites, so they will fight that with bigger marketing efforts ( read discounts ). Luckily this is just a hobby for me, so I can wait until prices come to my price range, and then PA's get some extra money from their back catalog sales, and I get their products for the price I see reasonable.

Post edited by Mendoman on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189
    Navi said:

It's not really the price, but the lack of G2F support that I find crippling on a hair like that Oo .

+10 there!

• FossilFossil Posts: 166
    wolf359 said:

I think Daz is in a bit of a precarious position at the moment as it seems to be trying really hard to get more industry" professionals"
    to Adopt its products.

It will be  most interesting to see what this market will look like around the year 2020.

I've been working with this, ( http://www.manuelbastioni.com/manuellab.php ).   With Blender seeing a half million (that's right, five hundred thousand!) downloads a month, Blender has become wildly popular among both hobbiests and professionals (like me).  The number and variety of plug-ins is mind boggling and becauser it's open source, folks can do anything with it...and they have.  I've been making clothes for these figures and it feels so good to contribute to something that's a true international community. 

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

AllenArt said:
    Tobor said:

For me the prices are "okay" for professional use, because it's all tax deductible anyway. I'm okay spending $30 to make $300. But I do raise my eyebrows about this "Make Money with Your Hobby" thing that's in the main banner. The prices seem high for a hobby. Prices on Rendo or the old RDNA seem more in line with that idea.

That doesn't mean I still buy at full price, even for a paid project. Since Daz has demonstrated their willingness for deep cuts for sales items, I'm okay playing along. It does mean that I may not ever buy an item in my wishlist, which is  a lost sale to them. If they're okay with it, I'm okay with it. 

You've obviously never done model trains or dollhouses ;). Talk about your high prices for a hobby....owwww ;).

Laurie

Or looked at something like this: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008879 Talk about sticker shock...

Just about ready to take my Lvl 2 General for Ham.  I often wonder how so many young people got into Ham Radio in the past,  even though I wanted to I wasn't able to get into either RC airplanes, or Ham until I was well into middle age!

•  

AllenArt said:
    Tobor said:

Laurie

Just about ready to take my Lvl 2 General for Ham.  I often wonder how so many young people got into Ham Radio in the past,  even though I wanted to I wasn't able to get into either RC airplanes, or Ham until I was well into middle age!

I took my No-code tech back in 1991 at age 22. I have my General, and am trying to get the study guide for the new version of the Extra. I had no idea where to take the test before that, plus I was never able to learn the Morse Code well enough to pass the code test.

• ghosty12 said:

This is truly the biggest killer of my budget as well.  Exchange to Canadian is about the same at $60 (before bank fees).  A far cry from the days when our dollar was at par.

Mendoman said:

I can only assume, that these deeper and deeper discounts DAZ is offering are direct result to rising base prices.

That's actually the reverse IMO.

DAZ started having more and more sales to attract more customers and increase their customer bases, not because PAs started increasing their base prices. As a matter of fact, overall prices have decreased a lot in the past years, or rather you get way more for the same price.

And at the same time, expectations have grown a lot:

• Due to the constant sales now a lot of people don't buy things unless they're 50% off or more, and even complain when a sale gives them "only 60% off"...
    • Clothes should come with a ton of movement morphs and materials, oh and undress morphs and "thrown on the floor" too, and they should work perfectly with autofit so that you can use them with multiple figures
    • Hair should fit multiple figures even if it means completely redoing the rigging (see people complaining that G3F hair doesn't fit G2F)
    • Sets should have everything saved as single part, and working doors, and of course an interior behind the doors...
    • Everything should come with Iray and 3Delight version, and Poser version too (and yes, I personally would like vendors to keep supporting 3DL, but I know that it's not economically viable for a good number of them).

So yes, PAs had to increase their base prices to offset the fact that they only sell their products on sale and need to spend more time on a single pack.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited December 2016
    Leana said:

And contrary to what a lot of customers seem to think, the market for poser/DS content is very small:

The idea is to grow the markets and you don't get that by making it appear your prices continue to go up. Perception matters.

It's not just "high prices" which is subjective at best. It's more that prices keep going up well beyond what you'd expect with normal inflation. The concern is over the price increases year over year. It seems unbounded; the OP said she hopes it's not a trend, though it clearly is. In one of my hobbies, building small robots, prices have gone DOWN or at worst have increased only minimally over the last five years. This is due to a larger buying base, which in turn keeps prices low, introducing more people into the hobby ... and the cycle repeats.

I don't think defending reduced competition, higher prices, and continued low appeal is the best approach, yet many of the responses hint at exactly this. Seems the opposite of a growth market, and that doesn't spell confidence for anyone who has invested more than a few dollars on it.

Post edited by Tobor on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2016

One of the things I find hard to digest, is that I have never once thot gee, i cant afford that tv and then went and complained to Sony that their tv's are too expensive and that they need to lower the cost because *I* cant afford it.   In a very public and embarrassing way to boot.

Well said IgnisSerpentus!  Thanks for spelling out the obvious from your unique perspective.

However, if this thread is any evidence, the price complainers here may be vocal, but they are in the minority.  So take heart and keep on keepin' on.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited December 2016
    Tobor said:
    Leana said:

And contrary to what a lot of customers seem to think, the market for poser/DS content is very small:

Is it? Daz touts 2.5 millions downloads of Daz studio. I'm sure there aren't 2.5 million actual users, but even if only 5% of those are occasional users, that's still a buying base of 125,000 wallets. Doesn't sound "very small" to me.

I really doubt the 2.5 millions are the numbers for a single version of DS, it's more likely for DS overall.

But anyway, PAs have stated multiple times that a product is considered successful if they sell 200 to 300 copies during the period where they have 90% of their total sales, and that reaching 1000 sales for a single product is basically just a dream. So yes, very small market. It has grown in the past years, but definitely not enough to reach the number of buyers you imagine.

Post edited by Leana on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961

I have to admit I've probably spent as much on PC+ items as for new releases (aka non-PC+, Genesis 2 or later, strictly because they are good deals for a hobby and it's just a minor bonus that I can use them in games. Of course that spending for me is going to wane, I don't want, even at PC+ prices most of the product content in the store or the content is redundant content.

Next big order of business is getting a modern PC that can handle iRay easily as it's sort of a fun challenge to try and make an interesting scene and good render - no as a matter of fact all sorts of beautiful models and horror looking models doesn't make it easy to create a good interesting scene I've found.  It is very hard to convey an activity with 1 static image.

I'm surprised DAZ 3D does not have their marketing priced for the EU, US, Canada, Australia, Japan, and China and different economic zones seperately. I know from working overseas for what was seen to be really good salary was actually only average programmer salary (or less really with how expensive that country is) with the exchange rate turning my earning to be about 50% of what I thought they'd be. sad

• Tobor said:

I don't think defending reduced competition, higher prices, and continued low appeal is the best approach, yet many of the responses hint at exactly this. Seems the opposite of a growth market, and that doesn't spell confidence for anyone who has invested more than a few dollars on it.

REduced competition? Sure, there is one less store now that RDNA is pretty much closed, but that only means that it's no longer a source of products. The vendors there either came here or went to other stores to sell, which actually increases competition between vendors for buyers if they were not already selling somewhere else. You're also assuming that therea are no new people trying to get into selling here. Also, low appeal can apply to some of the content we would like to see in the store, as some vendors can likely attest.

One of the things I find hard to digest, is that I have never once thot gee, i cant afford that tv and then went and complained to Sony that their tv's are too expensive and that they need to lower the cost because *I* cant afford it.

Yes, they do say this! If not in words written to Sony, then by buying something else. In retail complaints about high prices are common. Watch yourself over a week's time. You'll see you do it, too.

Tobor said:

REduced competition? Sure, there is one less store now that RDNA is pretty much closed, but that only means that it's no longer a source of products. The vendors there either came here or went to other stores to sell, which actually increases competition between vendors for buyers if they were not already selling somewhere else. You're also assuming that therea are no new people trying to get into selling here. Also, low appeal can apply to some of the content we would like to see in the store, as some vendors can likely attest.

Now would you care to re-read what I said? I said these are excuses made by others in this and similar threads. These are rationales I find ring hollow; they're certainly counter-productive to encouraging growth in the user base.

edited December 2016
    Leana said:

But anyway, PAs have stated multiple times that a product is considered successful if they sell 200 to 300 copies during the period where they have 90% of their total sales

Sure, these numbers aren't great. But on their own they're neither horrible nor terrific. It all depends on personal and project variables. PAs can determine if the effort is worth it, and no one is holding a gun to their heads to make them release a product for sale here.

Let's say they sell 250, at a final cost of $12. That's $3,000. Split with Daz, their take is $1,500. If that product took a week to develop, that's not a horrible 1099 income for someone in the US, though that depends on where they live (obviously, a New Yorker will have a tougher time on $78K a year in self-employed income). Since Daz PAs come from the world over, a PA living in a country with lower living expenses might find $1,500 a very attractive royalty.

Then of course is how long it takes to build that asset. Was it done in 40 hours? 20? 200?  There are just too many variables to say whether those sales figures are good or bad. It comes down to each PA making a business decision as to what works for his or her specific situation.

I get that some PAs get miffed when customers complain the prices are too high, that a product lacks a feature they'd like to have, or that something is difficult to use. Welcome to the real world! There isn't a business that doesn't get some complaints from customers. Someone, somewhere, will always want more. The solution is to have a thicker skin, and not think that every complaint needs a response.

Post edited by Tobor on
    Tobor said:

One of the things I find hard to digest, is that I have never once thot gee, i cant afford that tv and then went and complained to Sony that their tv's are too expensive and that they need to lower the cost because *I* cant afford it.

Yes, they do say this! If not in words written to Sony, then by buying something else. In retail complaints about high prices are common. Watch yourself over a week's time. You'll see you do it, too.

LOL, one of my aunts, rest her soul, if a price in a department store or grocery store wasn't to her liking you can but she would hangle the price with the cashier and, invariably the management, when they came. They called shopping 'trading'. We loved it. She wasn't trying to embarass or cheat anyone, but get thegood fair deal for herself. If they didn't agree with her she invariably refused to buy.She just didn't haggle over anything, just things that were unreasonably priced.

Nowadays last year visiting many a used car dealer to buy a used car from a dealer I understand where my aunt was coming from - some prices asked for are totally unreasonable and clearly desired to take advantage of poor people that can't or don't want to pay $50K for a new car (which can buy many a nice 50 year old home and even some 20 year old homes in these parts to put that $50K price for a car in perspective) and I learned if I go to a used car lot and they tell me they don't negociate price, then I leave the lot.

Sony TV or other name brand prices? I don't pay them, as a programmer and being familiar with manufacturing economies of scale, I understand that offbrand TV for $500 is essentially the same as the name brand for $2000. You may buy that gold plated Apple watch if you wish, I'm not insulting anyone for buying name brands. If I were not stretching budget myself I wouldn't so much difference between $2000 and and $500. It's nice to have affordable competition to buy from - that is something that has largely disappeared in the United States, Japan, and the EU and that's a shame.

It's a lot different in something like the DAZ Store. It's a luxury item really whether at PC+ prices or the original asking price, so there is really not a big desire to haggle because you actually need it now. You either want it for that price or you don't.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,381
    edited December 2016

We can argue about prices all day long.

The underlying issue is that the userbase does not seem to be growing in significant ways.

If we can believe some posts then

- currently most money is made with new users

- for some reasons new users after a shorter or longer period of time stop spending money and leave again

- - -

Where are the new users on the forum? Why is it always the same names that keep posting?

It seems new users never get that attached that they can bring up the courage to actually get involved on the forum and bring in their opinion.

- - -

Instead of accepting this trend and organising sales around it another approach would be to analyse:

- Why do new users loose interest?

-> send an e-mail with a survey to each new user after a few days, a few weeks and a few months to get feedback of their impressions at regular intervals.

- Why do other user groups that spend very large amounts of money on 3d software stay away from DAZ3D?

-> make another cooperation with 3D world magazine and hand out some free 3d models to users who fill out a survey

Then send those who try out DAZ Studio another survey after a few days, weeks and months.

- How do average people with no 3d or computer graphics background react if you show them images of DAZ3D characters?

-> Hire some agencies to ask random people in different countries what they think about some example images created with DAZ Studio.

- - -

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    Tobor said:
    Leana said:

But anyway, PAs have stated multiple times that a product is considered successful if they sell 200 to 300 copies during the period where they have 90% of their total sales

Sure, these numbers aren't great. But on their own they're neither horrible nor terrific. It all depends on personal and project variables. PAs can determine if the effort is worth it, and no one is holding a gun to their heads to make them release a product for sale here.

Let's say they sell 250, at a final cost of $12. That's $3,000. Split with Daz, their take is $1,500. If that product took a week to develop, that's not a horrible 1099 income for someone in the US, though that depends on where they live (obviously, a New Yorker will have a tougher time on $78K a year in self-employed income). Since Daz PAs come from the world over, a PA living in a country with lower living expenses might find $1,500 a very attractive royalty.

Then of course is how long it takes to build that asset. Was it done in 40 hours? 20? 200?  There are just too many variables to say whether those sales figures are good or bad. It comes down to each PA making a business decision as to what works for his or her specific situation.

I get that some PAs get miffed when customers complain the prices are too high, that a product lacks a feature they'd like to have, or that something is difficult to use. Welcome to the real world! There isn't a business that doesn't get some complaints from customers. Someone, somewhere, will always want more. The solution is to have a thicker skin, and not think that every complaint needs a response.

You're forgetting something... The massive constant sales and discounts.

We price the item at $12. Most people end up paying $5-6 thanks to discounts as deep as 60%. So those 250 sales get us, say $2.75 each, or $690 rounded to the nearest $10. On top of this, most clothing items take a MINIMUM of two weeks to do properly, and a lot of us work a lot longer than 8 hours a day. Even if that's two work weeks of 80 hours, that's only an average of $8.63 an hour. Barely above minimum wage, and usually not enough to cover all the usual bills.

edited December 2016

We can argue about prices all day long.

The underlying issue is that the userbase does not seem to be growing.

If we can believe some posts then

- currently most money is made with new users

- for some reasons new users after a shorter or longer period of time stop spending money and leave again

- - -

Where are the new users on the forum? Why is it always the same names that keep posting?

It seems new users never get that attached that they can bring up the courage to actually get involved on the forum and bring in their opinion.

- - -

Instead of accepting this trend and organising sales around it another approach would be to analyse

- Why do new users loose interest?

-> send an e-mail with a survey to each new user after a few days, a few weeks and a few months

- Why do other user groups that spend very large amounts of money on 3d software stay away from DAZ3D?

-> make another cooperation with 3D world magazine and hand out some free 3d models to users who fill out a survey

Then send those who try out DAZ Studio another survey after a few days, weeks and months.

- How do average people with no 3d or computer graphics background react if you show them images of DAZ3D characters?

-> Hire some agencies to ask random people in different countries what they think about some example images created with DAZ Studio.

- - -

There are plenty of new users in the forums as I and others often answer questions for them on how to use DAZ Studio (and more experienced users for me).

If new users quickly abandon DAZ Studio it must be because they find DAZ Studio difficult and unsatisfying to work with. A naive hobbyist (hobbyists that don't ever visit the forums) is not expecting to download and install DAZ products and then be told that there results are not good because they are not true artists who understand how to use 3D technology. That's what DAZ Studio is for they were told. What they expect is to be able to create original art that is of technically good quality easily using DAZ Studio and DAZ Studio is still not quite to that level of simplicity yet. It and Poser are the closest but thay are not that easy to get good at creating characters that look original. It is unsatifying to render a portrait or scene that looks like a poor imitation of the better ad copy in the DAZ Store.    

Or strike that last paragraph - the truth is people often try new things and decide they'd rather do something else. I've went through many a hobby already.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on