The older generation: Victoria 2/3, Michael 2/3 and their children renders

11011131516

Comments

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700

    Thank you for the link!

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 2,119
    edited August 2020

    Thinking of this month's freebie challenge reminded me of this image I uploaded in Jan 2006. GV3 and the Poser 4 cat with a texture I did to make it look vaguely like my avatar image cat, Albert. He was nothing remotely like any shape the Poser cat could morph to, but I was happy.

    The image is titled 'Is this lap free?' and was the sort of thing Albert would do - by this I mean wander into a photoshoot and take the only available lap.

    Regards,

    Richard.

     

    file_1141817.jpg
    553 x 490 - 176K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700

    LOL - cats!

  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    Seems to me the cat is less interested in her lap and more focused upon, well...uh... wink

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,474

    So I have a new picture but I am not going to post to this thread but I do want to pass on a little something about how I fixed a problem. I had mentioned earlier when we were discussing dressing a generation 2 or 3 figure in someone else's garment. I was using the S.H.A.D.O. Bodysuit for V4 on V2 and the laces were creating spiking when I moved V2 into any pose were the legs were moved. I figured out how to correct it. I wrote a little tut in my art thread here if you are interested is seeing how to do it in DAZ. 

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 2,119
    edited August 2020

    Years ago I downloaded a set of freebie V3 poses by Musketeer from Renderosity in 2004 or earlier. Like many V3 items, they have vanished into the aether over time. The range of 100 was a good and eclectic mix that I used a lot and have missed having for G8F. It gave a wide range of different poses, not themed, separated into different groups or types, just a fair few all lumped together in a convenient scrollable group, enough to be useful, few enough not to spend ages searching for just the right one.  Always found one that was a good starting point for the poses I wanted. So, I made a rash decision to create a similar range again from scratch for G8F inspired by the Musketeer poses. After plodding through them, I developed a technique, have Glamorous Vickie 3 and the G8F character next to each other, pose GV3 from the Musketeer pose and then make G8F look quite similar. With the different figures and bones, some parts or significant parts of the V3 poses simply don't work well & need to do something else. Anyway it takes concentration to get right and, just once in a while that concentration lapses, and the lapses can raise a smile, which I thought I'd share.

    I selected the wrong figure when going to a new pose, and applied a V3 pose to G8F. It did not go well. I then posed GV3 to show what the pose should have been, and confirmed to myself what I had suspected all along: That it's not worth the agro to use a V3 pose as a starting point for a G8F pose... wink

    At least the pose for the fingers on the left hand looks about right, even if the hand appears rather unexpectedly from G8F's chest.

    The G8F figure is FWSA's 'Noosha' for G3F converted to G8F base using RiversoftArt's script. Most impressive script. Just wish it were possible to do it so efficiently with GV3's shape. Would be happy with any using a G8F texture, but I do wish it were possible to use the character shape without the V3 joint limitations.

    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    Okay, Princess Aura is V4 wearing an outfit called, appropriately enough, "Aura".  But tying this composition into the theme of this thread is Ming the Merciless who is "bridging" two "vintage" figures.  The body is Hero 3 because I thought the "PrimoGentry" ensemble from the "Project daedalus" product theme would make a really cool "Merciless Ming" outfit with just a change of material settings.  Okay, the other vintage figure?  It's the head from Michael 2 enhanced with Beth Capsces' "Boris" morphs.  I "dialed up" taht face ages ago, maybe before M3 debuted and never been able to replicate that specific "saturnine" look upon any other figure.  So, I "Frankensteined" the two figures, hiding the head and eyes of Hiro 3 and everything except those elements upon Michael 2.  Honestly,  Amazingly enough, after a bit of scaling and positioning before "locking down" stuff, there's only the slightest of "cracked seams" between the two meshes where the polygons don't exactly align.  But one has to zoom so tight that Hero's neck literally fills the screen.  I honestly didn't expect the models to align that well!  So, I got the outfit I wanted and the face I thought worked best.

    Other items are the old Plat' Club "Mongo Rocketship"  which I textured to have gold and red chrome livery, trailing flame and smoke plumes from the "Max Overkill' set.  It offers a missile with an EasyPose contrail.  The throne is from the "City of the Dead' set reworked with procedurals and a new material zone to suggest "fabric".  The dais elements are long gone freebies by Mechanismo.

    BTW, you're probably wondering why I opted to give Princess Aura red hair instead of raven black as in the 1930s serials and the 1980 camp movie.  Two reasons, one, it pays homage to the Filmation animated adaptation that aired as both a serialized Saturday moring show, and two, well, it turns out Filmation got her look closer to the original newspaper strips drawn by Alex Raymond rather another other version managed.  The Sunday color editions depicted Aura with...red hair!

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700

    So cool! I love the whole picture - and your frankensteining works great!

  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    @Kerya

    Thanks!  Here's a bit of trivia concerning "Flash Gordon", but as a "lead in" let's jump forward in time by 40 years, to the mid 1970s.  There are conflicting accounts (some advocating it, others demouncing it) that supposedly George Lucas developed "Star Wars" when he could not obtain the rights to create a theatrical movie adaptation of "Flash Gordon"  (I believe Dino De Laurentiis held those rights at that time because he did eventually film the property).  Well, if true, it parallels what happened with "Flash Gordon" itself during the 1930s.  A "space opera" comic was already quite popular in the newspapersw, "Buck Rogers", loosely based upon a novel titled "Armageddon 2419 AD".  Well, King Features Syndicate wanted a piece of that pie and sought to adapt an arguably better known property, the "John Carter of Mars" series of novels by Edgar rice Burroughs, the creator of Tarzan.  Thing is, Burroughs denied the request.  So, King Features decided to create its own, unique "planetary romance" with thematically similar, but legally different "trappings".  That concept evolved into "Flash Gordon".  And while Flash was the later concept to appear in the newspapers, its popualrity arguably eclipsed "Buck Rogers" due to its superior art drawn by Alex Raymond.

    This conjures an intriguing "what if...?" scenario.  Assuming Lucas did indeed try ti film "Flash Gordon" and created his own property when declined the King Features property, what might have he created if King Features itself had been granted the rights to illustrate "A Princess of Mars"?  Would Lucas have been interested in adapting "John Carter"?  If interested and was granted the rights, how faithful might have been Lucas' version?  If he were declined, would he have gone on to create his own concept and how similar or how different might that have been from the "Star Wars" we actually got?  We kinda' get an interseting "butterfly effect" here, don't we?

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700

    Fascinating - I only saw the films, never the comics. But I am German, which is probably why.

    Flash Gordon: I saw the film with Ornella Muti ... Wikipedia tells me that was 1980, and I do remember Buck Rogers (Twiki - aaaaaw) too - it was shown here in the mid-eighties.

    I am dating myself ... LOL

    But it's nice to be reminded of fun times.

  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    Since you saw the 1980 movie, you saw samples of Raymond's original art in those neon highlighted opening credits, so you got a "taste" of the original material.

    Both "Flash Gordon" and "Buck Rogers" were adapted to "Saturday matinee theatrical serials" in the 1930s.  Basically, they were 15 minute episodic segments ending in "cliffhangers" that were presented in movie houses before the main feature.  "Flash" got three serials between 1936 and 1940, "Buck" only got one.  the irony?  Both featured "Buster" Crabbe as the titular main character, and because props and sets were shared between the two properties, they both had a very similar look.

    Flash was adapted into a television series in the 1950s (not starring Crabbe), as an animated cartoon around 1979 (It was actually "expanded' from a "made for TV" movie that did not air intul 1982), the afore mentioned 1980 movie and last decade into a series for SyFy which the less said, the better.  "Buck Rogers" had fewer outings.  The novel, the newspaper strip, one serial during the 30s and the late 70s TV series with Gil Gerrard.  (There may have been a 50s TV adaptation, but I'm not sure.)  Then there was Warner Bros. "Duck Dodgers in the 24th and a half Century" thtat was a 1950s animated short ans expanded into a series in 2003 for Cartoon Network.  It was a hilarious parody of Buck and "space opera" themes in general.

    Just Google "Flash Gordon" along with "Alex Raymond" and you can see a plethora of frames from the original newspaper art.  The stories were, well, not the most thought provoking, but the art was rarely surpassed by other strips.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • Redfern said:

    Okay, Princess Aura is V4 wearing an outfit called, appropriately enough, "Aura".  But tying this composition into the theme of this thread is Ming the Merciless who is "bridging" two "vintage" figures.  The body is Hero 3 because I thought the "PrimoGentry" ensemble from the "Project daedalus" product theme would make a really cool "Merciless Ming" outfit with just a change of material settings.  Okay, the other vintage figure?  It's the head from Michael 2 enhanced with Beth Capsces' "Boris" morphs.  I "dialed up" taht face ages ago, maybe before M3 debuted and never been able to replicate that specific "saturnine" look upon any other figure.  So, I "Frankensteined" the two figures, hiding the head and eyes of Hiro 3 and everything except those elements upon Michael 2.  Honestly,  Amazingly enough, after a bit of scaling and positioning before "locking down" stuff, there's only the slightest of "cracked seams" between the two meshes where the polygons don't exactly align.  But one has to zoom so tight that Hero's neck literally fills the screen.  I honestly didn't expect the models to align that well!  So, I got the outfit I wanted and the face I thought worked best.

    Other items are the old Plat' Club "Mongo Rocketship"  which I textured to have gold and red chrome livery, trailing flame and smoke plumes from the "Max Overkill' set.  It offers a missile with an EasyPose contrail.  The throne is from the "City of the Dead' set reworked with procedurals and a new material zone to suggest "fabric".  The dais elements are long gone freebies by Mechanismo.

    BTW, you're probably wondering why I opted to give Princess Aura red hair instead of raven black as in the 1930s serials and the 1980 camp movie.  Two reasons, one, it pays homage to the Filmation animated adaptation that aired as both a serialized Saturday moring show, and two, well, it turns out Filmation got her look closer to the original newspaper strips drawn by Alex Raymond rather another other version managed.  The Sunday color editions depicted Aura with...red hair!

    Sincerely,

    Bill

    Ahhhhhh, Alex Raymond's work on Flash Gordon was CLASSIC. If you would like to read some of the strips that have fallen into the public domain, you can find them here: https://newspapercomicstripsblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/23/flash-gordon/

    I think you really did a good job on this piece, and I recognized who it was at a glance. You are right about the red hair vs black hair, but I still prefer her with raven tresses! Call me a traditionalist, heh. I was also very intrigued by your description of how you just stacked those two figures on top of each other to make Ming. That is very inventive, and if you hadn't mentioned it I never would have suspected anything at all.

  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,474
    edited August 2020

    Such a wonderful render Redfern. Best of luck richard on your pose project. I have another V2. I am installing and rendering some of the listed V2 characters from the wiki. This is one of them. I have all of the freeibies I used for the image listed on my Art Studio Page, if you are interested.

    The Orange Flower Fairy

    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700
    DollyGirl said:

    Such a wonderful render Redfern. Best of luck richard on your pose project. I have another V2. I am installing and rendering some of the listed V2 characters from the wiki. This is one of them. I have all of the freeibies I used for the image listed on my Art Studio Page, if you are interested.

    The Orange Flower Fairy

     

    Precious, lovely, wonderful!

  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    I can't promise this will be available forever (content on the internet can be so "fleeting"), but here's the first of the Flash Gordon matinee serials (all 13 episodes) that (vaguely) adheres to the earliest Alex Raymond comics with Flash, Dale and Zarkoff rocketing to Mongo to stop its (assumed) impending collision with Earth.  Yes, both the 1980 movie and the Filmation cartoon also followed this storyline.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • Trying to fit Laura into a nightdress for Diva.....

    The maddie head and body morphs appear to go a little way to standing in for Laura head and body morphs - enough to allow a little change trying to apply a Laura morph that requires them.

    laura.jpg
    1100 x 1556 - 234K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700

    Sweet!

  • Redfern said:

    I can't promise this will be available forever (content on the internet can be so "fleeting"), but here's the first of the Flash Gordon matinee serials (all 13 episodes) that (vaguely) adheres to the earliest Alex Raymond comics with Flash, Dale and Zarkoff rocketing to Mongo to stop its (assumed) impending collision with Earth.  Yes, both the 1980 movie and the Filmation cartoon also followed this storyline.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

    That is a fun serial! Fortunately, it is in the public domain, so it usually stays online at YouTube. It can also be found at Archive.org

  • Redfern said:

    @Kerya

    Thanks!  Here's a bit of trivia concerning "Flash Gordon", but as a "lead in" let's jump forward in time by 40 years, to the mid 1970s.  There are conflicting accounts (some advocating it, others demouncing it) that supposedly George Lucas developed "Star Wars" when he could not obtain the rights to create a theatrical movie adaptation of "Flash Gordon"  (I believe Dino De Laurentiis held those rights at that time because he did eventually film the property).  Well, if true, it parallels what happened with "Flash Gordon" itself during the 1930s.  A "space opera" comic was already quite popular in the newspapersw, "Buck Rogers", loosely based upon a novel titled "Armageddon 2419 AD".  Well, King Features Syndicate wanted a piece of that pie and sought to adapt an arguably better known property, the "John Carter of Mars" series of novels by Edgar rice Burroughs, the creator of Tarzan.  Thing is, Burroughs denied the request.  So, King Features decided to create its own, unique "planetary romance" with thematically similar, but legally different "trappings".  That concept evolved into "Flash Gordon".  And while Flash was the later concept to appear in the newspapers, its popualrity arguably eclipsed "Buck Rogers" due to its superior art drawn by Alex Raymond.

    This conjures an intriguing "what if...?" scenario.  Assuming Lucas did indeed try ti film "Flash Gordon" and created his own property when declined the King Features property, what might have he created if King Features itself had been granted the rights to illustrate "A Princess of Mars"?  Would Lucas have been interested in adapting "John Carter"?  If interested and was granted the rights, how faithful might have been Lucas' version?  If he were declined, would he have gone on to create his own concept and how similar or how different might that have been from the "Star Wars" we actually got?  We kinda' get an interseting "butterfly effect" here, don't we?

    Sincerely,

    Bill

    I've done a little digging into the John Carter adaptations recently, and there are some different versions about the efforts of King Features wanting to adapt John Carter. In short, though, the most widly accepted version of the story is that it's not so much that ERB declined the request as they couldn't come to terms on the royalties and licensing. ERB was actually very excited about the prospect of the adaptation and eventually launched an adaptation through the United Features Sydnicate. The adaptation, illustrated by ERB's son, John, debuted on Dec. 7, 1941. Yup. Pearl Harbor day! The adaptation didn't take off, though, and it ended before the story was completed. A newspaper strip adaptation of "A Princess of Mars" wouldn't be completed until the 1950s by a syndicate in the UK.

    I do concur, though. It would be a very different wrold (in fandom, at least) if Lucas had gotten those rights and not made Star Wars.

  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    Thanks, @mmitchell_houston , I will admit my phrasing was a bit sloppy.  And thanks, too, for the added details.  Nice to learn ERB was interested!

    So, two different newspaper adaptation were created, eh?!  Do any strips or at least selected panels exist online?  I am very interested to see how they look!  (Obviously they couldn't be "word for word" accurate to the novel as both John Carter, Dejah Thoris and most of the inhabitants of Barsoom were described as being, well, nude, save for harnesses and/or jewelry! surprise

    I have also read an account that the animator Bob Clampett (of Warner bros. cartoon fame) was planning a project!  Well, son of a gun!  I just found a YT clip showing some test sequences!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTAlgZlqwnQ

    Sorry, no drawings of the lovely Dejah.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • Glad to help! I was looking up this stuff because a few months ago I finally got around to reading A Princess of Mars for the first time. I enjoyed it, but stopped about a third of the way into the second novel. I just couldn't get into the story. Nevertheless, I looked up the comic adaptations and found that, surprisingly, there really is NOT a great graphic novel adaptation of the first novel.  (And thanks for posting that video: I have seen it before, but not with that narration.)

    Anyway, here's a list of the John Carter appearances in comics: https://www.erbzine.com/comics/jcearly1.html

    This has some of the newspaper strips illustrated by ERB's son: https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2018/12/01/first-and-last-john-carter-of-mars-comic-strip/

    And here is the complete British adaptation I mentioned: https://www.erbzine.com/mag13/1388.html

     

  • Stephanie Petite 3 and Michael 4 out for a ride. This was designed for print, so the shading tone might not look good on your monitor. Click here to view it full size: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ec/8e3ded38345e3752e6c01fda7d1582.jpg

    Workflow: Poser Pro 11 Renders (using the Comic Book Preview) and clean-up in Clip Studio Paint.

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700

    Looks really, really good!

  • CriosCrios Posts: 1,978

    Stephanie Petite 3 and Michael 4 out for a ride. This was designed for print, so the shading tone might not look good on your monitor. Click here to view it full size: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ec/8e3ded38345e3752e6c01fda7d1582.jpg

    Workflow: Poser Pro 11 Renders (using the Comic Book Preview) and clean-up in Clip Studio Paint.

    It's great, how you made the shading?

  • Crios said:

    Stephanie Petite 3 and Michael 4 out for a ride. This was designed for print, so the shading tone might not look good on your monitor. Click here to view it full size: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ec/8e3ded38345e3752e6c01fda7d1582.jpg

    Workflow: Poser Pro 11 Renders (using the Comic Book Preview) and clean-up in Clip Studio Paint.

    It's great, how you made the shading?

    Thanks. I did the shading in Clip Studio Paint. The nice thing is, if I change the image size, the line spacing in the tone pattern will remain consistent.

  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    Since the latest discussion has been about the Barsoom (Mars) stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs, here's a piece tying into the theme of the thread, Aiko 3 as the Princess of Helium.She's wearing elements from the "Harmony for Melody" set by Lady LittleFox (thr collar, bracers and hair) along with the Martian Princess set by Gareee really meant for V4.  But to my pleasant surprise, I was able to "parent" the bikini type pieces to A3 with only a bit of scaling to fit.  Rather than flat out 'gold", I tinted the precious metals to look a bit more like copper, a subtle homage to the manta ray looking "war machines" from George Pal's version of 'War of the Worlds.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • Redfern said:

    Since the latest discussion has been about the Barsoom (Mars) stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs, here's a piece tying into the theme of the thread, Aiko 3 as the Princess of Helium.She's wearing elements from the "Harmony for Melody" set by Lady LittleFox (thr collar, bracers and hair) along with the Martian Princess set by Gareee really meant for V4.  But to my pleasant surprise, I was able to "parent" the bikini type pieces to A3 with only a bit of scaling to fit.  Rather than flat out 'gold", I tinted the precious metals to look a bit more like copper, a subtle homage to the manta ray looking "war machines" from George Pal's version of 'War of the Worlds.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

    This is really very nice. I think you did an excellent job combining the pieces to kitbash an effective costume. And thank you so much for sharing the details of which bits and pieces you used. I'm looking for a few things like those for some fae characters in a comic I'm working on.

  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,412

    The quasi Egyptian pectoral collar from the "Harmony" set is modeled "solid" between that innermost ring anf the next, but that geometry having its own "material zone" allowed me to turn it "invisible" for a very different look.  Same for the "fabric" that normally drapes over the breasts; I turned that "invisible", too.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,700
    Redfern said:

    Since the latest discussion has been about the Barsoom (Mars) stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs, here's a piece tying into the theme of the thread, Aiko 3 as the Princess of Helium.She's wearing elements from the "Harmony for Melody" set by Lady LittleFox (thr collar, bracers and hair) along with the Martian Princess set by Gareee really meant for V4.  But to my pleasant surprise, I was able to "parent" the bikini type pieces to A3 with only a bit of scaling to fit.  Rather than flat out 'gold", I tinted the precious metals to look a bit more like copper, a subtle homage to the manta ray looking "war machines" from George Pal's version of 'War of the Worlds.

    Sincerely,

    Bill

     

    Simply lovely!!!!!!!!

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 2,119
    edited August 2020

    This thread is all about reviving dead or nearly dead characters. In my - possibly rather warped - mind this triggered an idea for an image. The undead zombie character of Glamorous Vicki 3 asking for help, begging for help, from a very much alive G8F character, who is too busy, and possibly too unkind, to do more than fend GV3 off. 

    Zombie texture for V3 was available from Renderosity once.. don't know if it still is.

    Regards,

    Richard.

     

    Help A Zombie Character Please.png
    958 x 923 - 2M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
Sign In or Register to comment.