N.G.S. Anagenessis for Genesis 3

Comments

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109

I look forward to the videos as I admit I am confused as to what setting to use for what result.

So, as I understand it, we should have maps in these channels and any others should be removed:

•Diffuse

-Translucency Color use Diffuse map if no SSS

•Glossy layered weight

-Refraction weight use Specular map

**Refraction Color (Daz Studio auto-generated map)

•Basic Bump

•Normal Map

*Metallic Flakes use Specular map (Daz Studio auto-generated map)

**Top Coat Weight (Daz Studio auto-generated map)

-Top Coat Bump use Bump map

-Displacement Strength use Bump Map

The bulleted (•) are channels that should have maps.

Plus:

The hyphenated (-) are channels with map recommendations for N.G.S.

The asterisked (*) is one shown with an auto-generated map, but later shows a recommendation to add a map.

The double-asterisked (**) are maps that don't show or have a recommendation for a map and only show auto-generated maps.  The double-asterisked are the ones I don't understand at all.

The results look lovely in the renders I have seen.  The additional information will be welcome.

Thank you.

You think we are supposed to go through and add maps to channels that don't have them?  I was afraid of that.  Sigh -- love the results, but that sounds like a time drain, if it's done for each...shudder...channel.

No disrespect, D-Z.  Hope we don't have to do that though.

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555

I think the idea is that you add any missing maps to get the exact results D-Z shows but I guess if the results are what you like without doing map changes then thats all that matters,

@Jan19 - your images look good to me :)

On the tests I have done most G3 skins seem to have everything there so its not a lot of extra work to maybe add bump map to top coat/displacement as thats the ones that don't always end up in the correct place for me. 

edited July 2016
    Tottallou said:

I think the idea is that you add any missing maps to get the exact results D-Z shows but I guess if the results are what you like without doing map changes then thats all that matters,

On the tests I have done most G3 skins seem to have everything there so its not a lot of extra work to maybe add bump map to top coat/displacement as thats the ones that don't always end up in the correct place for me. 

Thank you very much. smiley  Thanks for the info about the maps, too.

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • Dimension-ZDimension-Z Posts: 352
    Tottallou said:

The only "missing map" is top coat replaced by autogenerated. With specular map on it you don't get the exact result with me. All other maps are default and on your choice. Dimension-Z
    Every specular map has differences from each model's creator. So I replaced top coat map with mine for standard result for any of you. Dimension-Z
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited July 2016

DZ, you keep saying autogenerated, but I still don't understand what that means.

Jan, if you use the legacy maps, they will select all the surfaces in the map, so for G3, the first one if the face/head, the second is torso, the third is legs, the fourth is arms.  Head will select lips and everything else on the head map.  Same for the other maps.  Then you just add or change globally for all the parts on that map.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

DZ, you keep saying autogenerated, but I still don't understand what that means.

Jan, if you use the legacy maps, they will select all the surfaces in the map, so for G3, the first one if the face/head, the second is torso, the third is legs, the fourth is arms.  Head will select lips and everything else on the head map.  Same for the other maps.  Then you just add or change globally for all the part on that map.

I believe the shader generates maps for the areas marked autogenerated - In your image drop down if you go to change images you can see there are images called d2.png etc they are created in Daz Temp folder which for me is

\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp

edited July 2016

Jan, if you use the legacy maps, they will select all the surfaces in the map, so for G3, the first one if the face/head, the second is torso, the third is legs, the fourth is arms.  Head will select lips and everything else on the head map.  Same for the other maps.  Then you just add or change globally for all the parts on that map.

Thanks very much. smiley  I appreciate the how-to, Chris.

D-Z, I tried to quote your post about the topcoat/spec map, but it won't quote right.

If I could ask, which maps do you usually replace, to get the results you got in the promo ad?

Well, here's me playing with Velvet/Gloss and a light probe bkg.

FinleyAGShaderVelvet.jpg
    800 x 800 - 350K
    Post edited by Jan19 on
    Tottallou said:

Jan, if you use the legacy maps, they will select all the surfaces in the map, so for G3, the first one if the face/head, the second is torso, the third is legs, the fourth is arms.  Head will select lips and everything else on the head map.  Same for the other maps.  Then you just add or change globally for all the part on that map.

I believe the shader generates maps for the areas marked autogenerated - In your image drop down if you go to change images you can see there are images called d2.png etc they are created in Daz Temp folder which for me is

Ah, ty, Tottalou, that begins to make sense now.  So we don't have to have added any map.  

YW, Jan.

Till DimensionZ is able to get some videos done, has anyone been working with the presets and had luck with which ones they've used alone or in combination?  I would really like more info on how the presets work and what they do as well as recommended combinations or "don't do" stuff.

edited July 2016
    Tottallou said:

Tottallou said:

Ah, ty, Tottalou, that begins to make sense now.  So we don't have to have added any map.  

YW, Jan.

Till DimensionZ is able to get some videos done, has anyone been working with the presets and had luck with which ones they've used alone or in combination?  I would really like more info on how the presets work and what they do as well as recommended combinations or "don't do" stuff.

Don't know what to tell you on that...I've just been experimenting. :-)

I do like the metallic flakes though. 

Post edited by Jan19 on

Clara by Digital Touch
  •  

Clara by Digital Touch

Thanks, tho the body doesnt seem to be that one. 

OK, here's what I'm beginning to think, for what it's worth:

1)  Render results with AG shader preset will be dependent on the original maps used for the character; natural-lookin maps will yield natural looking skin, etc.

2) Maybe no maps need replacing.  Could be the lazy talking, but I started to plug the diffuse map into the Translucency channel, as directed by pdf, and said diffuse map was already there.

3) To use AG shader preset, apply the various preset skin textures then experiment like Edison to get skin right for different lights. 

Nothing like pre-dawn experimentation to yield clear, but maybe incorrect insight. smiley

@Jan19 - I agree experimentation is the only way, I am trying it on all the Daz main characters as I get the time

Here is Aiko 7 & Mei Lin 7 - I doubt its supposed to be used on Aiko skin but I decided to go for it anyway :)

Aiko2.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    ShaderMeiLin.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    Tottallou said:

@Jan19 - I agree experimentation is the only way, I am trying it on all the Daz main characters as I get the time

Here is Aiko 7 & Mei Lin 7 - I doubt its supposed to be used on Aiko skin but I decided to go for it anyway :)

Mei Lin looks great. :-)  And Aiko isn't bad, either.  Thanks for the backup on experimentation. smiley

Clara by Digital Touch

Thanks, tho the body doesnt seem to be that one. 

Some extra morphs added, veins & camera angle can make a difference.
    Tottallou said:

Mei Lin is absolutely great! I have done many tests with her. Aiko wasn't released when I was done with my N.G.S. Maybe she needs some experimenting with top coat.But I'm sure it will work too.
    edited August 2016

First render using N.G.S.

I'm using Mei Lin's skin, Rune's HD, Thalia hair with UHT2, muscular morphs, Face 06 of my Metamorphosis set and Khory's Scintallent lights.

I know I used the Skin 2 preset, but I don't remember the other presets I used.  Pretty sure curves was high, and I used medium on many of the others.  I'm pleased with how it came out.  I did a bit of touch up on the hair and bent leg.

09D-ngs.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 438K
    edited August 2016

I'm using Mei Lin's skin, Rune's HD, Thalia hair with UHT2, muscular morphs, Face 06 of my Metamorphosis set and Khory's Scintallent lights.

I know I used the Skin 2 preset, but I don't remember the other presets I used.  Pretty sure curves was high, and I used medium on many of the others.  I'm pleased with how it came out.  I did a bit of touch up on the hair and bent leg.

Great work Chris. I hope you liked it! Dimension-Z

I very much do.  It allowed me to get just the look I needed for my promos. :)  Thank you.

Very nice render Crisyes - I enjoy seeing what everyone else  is doing with this

Thank you, Tottalou.  I've put and linked it to my gallery now.  The pose is from an updoming pose set.

• Thank you, Tottalou.  I've put and linked it to my gallery now.  The pose is from an updoming pose set.

Good luck with your set Chris! Dimension-Z

Great guns, is there a professional in the house or what?  surprise​ 

That render is absolutely mind-blowing. yes

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579

This product seems to have much potential.

Can't wait for the video.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

I know this is a fairly new product so I have my fingers crossed in the hopes that someone can help

I purchased this product and opened Daz and the PDF file. I selected my character and went down the list of settings line by line and made sure my surface settings were like in the .pdf. I did notice though that what the .pdf said and what my settings said were different sometimes. For instance, I think one setting read Glossiness in the .pdf but in my menu it said "Glossy Reflectivity" (i believe) so there were subtle variations. Also, in a few areas it said "use Bump maps for better results." I'm not sure what a bump map is really. So I clicked the box, browsed and selected my characters skin map for the torso. When I had everything set as close as I could to what the PDF said, i didn't know what to do next. I was able to loacte some Anagenessis files in my Materials folder but when I clicked them, the load window would pop up and then disappear. The same way it does if you were to apply a hair shade to hair that you haven't loaded or selected in the scene. If anyone can offer any advice I'd appreciate it. This looks like an amazing tool but I'm sort of stuck.

Thanks for the help!

edited August 2016

To use the shader - I just load the model then apply one of the presets eg NGS00 Custom Skin A - For me it applies in the usual way - (Select G3 & click the preset)

Then I look at the surfaces and they are the same as shown in the PDF and most if not all the maps are applied to the correct boxes already

If you want to add a bump map to improve results then rather than add the characters skin map choose the bump version which is there for all the purchased G3 Models I have tried - Most bump maps seem to be labeled TorsoB etc or similar but in anycase its the same map as you can see under base bump.

Let us know how you get on

Bump.png
    272 x 347 - 22K
    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2016

After having tried it out with other characters using the recipe and getting mixed results not because of the product but because the characters were non-standard (G2F skin applied to G3F) or there were light issues (an Albino character who turned out looking normal with healthy pink skin, don't ask blush) I  did a comparison with a previous render applying it straight without any previous adjustments.  

I'd say there's a difference and can't wait for the video laughwinkyes

Post edited by 3dLux on
  • Tottallou said:

To use the shader - I just load the model then apply one of the presets eg NGS00 Custom Skin A - For me it applies in the usual way - (Select G3 & click the preset)

Then I look at the surfaces and they are the same as shown in the PDF and most if not all the maps are applied to the correct boxes already

If you want to add a bump map to improve results then rather than add the characters skin map choose the bump version which is there for all the purchased G3 Models I have tried - Most bump maps seem to be labeled TorsoB etc or similar but in anycase its the same map as you can see under base bump.

Let us know how you get on

A Big thank you Tottallou! Your helping hand is much appreciated! I'm on vacations right now and it's not easy for me to give answers or make the videos I promised on my Deviantart page audioslave74 (aka dimension-z). The things are like this: 1. Chech if we have SSS map. If for some reason there isn't, just load Diffuse (Color map) 2. Load a NGS preset for your taste. 3. Set up glossiness in Metallicity & Curve folders to your taste. 4. Setup Flakes to your taste. 5. Setup Curves to your taste. 6. If you don't have closeup renders just turn off Refraction. It increases rendering times. Except if you have very fast machine & you like the result. 7. After all these setups you're ready to go! 8. You can add Specular& Bump maps (e.g.Torso_S, Torso_B.jpg) on autogenerated maps (grey color maps) as shown in the pdf guide for more details: a. Metallicity Weight - Specular b. Top Coat Weight - Specular but it gives me better results with NGS default. Just give it a try! c. Top Coat Bump - Bump d. Displacement - Bump (I have done tests & it gives very good extra details like cellulite) with the default settings by NGS. Dont't make it very strong, it needs to be carefull with this setting e. Refraction Weight it's not so important adding a map. Notes: If you add Speculars in Metallicity & Top Coat you must increase or decrease values because of the grey toning differences. Every time you load a NGS preset you have to reload maps in specific places.