N.G.S. Anagenessis for Genesis 3

IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

To Dimension-Z,

Regarding your new product: N.G.S. Anagenessis for Genesis 3.

You state clearly in your promo text: "Note: To get the most of out the NGS you must read PDF instructions first."

That sounds like a good idea. Would you like to tell me where the pdf is?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Techncial Help as it is a question, not a Product Suggestion.

The PDF is available through the readme http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/33501/start

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

I bought the product and found the guide confusing..  Are you referring just to the settings indicated by the lines, or do you imply all settings... it isn't clearly worded...

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437

I haven't bought the product, probably won't... but someone might want to clear up this little bit of text from the product description "based on real world stimulation"

I'm pretty sure that's NOT what you meant to say.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

I haven't bought the product, probably won't... but someone might want to clear up this little bit of text from the product description "based on real world stimulation"

laugh

I bought the product and found the guide confusing..  Are you referring just to the settings indicated by the lines, or do you imply all settings... it isn't clearly worded...

The PDF is very confusing to me, too. There are horizontal lines with the words "Daz Studio Auto-Generated Maps" next to them, but no maps in that area of the settings. So what is that trying to tell us?

I'm also skeptical of any Iray material settings that tell me to use a figure's bump map in the displacement channel. I don't see how the tiny height difference details in a figure's bump map will be used effectively by Iray displacement.

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited July 2016

Whew. laugh  You are a crack-up.

​Folks, regarding the product itself -- I was confused when I looked at the pdf, too.  So I said the hell with it and started applying the shaders.

​They stick to G3F just fine.  I didn't even have to isolate surfaces.  And while it may look as if some areas are broken up in preview -- don't know if that's my lights or the shaders -- the renders look good.  They don't take forever, either, even w/my cpu rendering.

​But I'm still puzzled by the pdf.  Is it backup?  Like...make sure you have maps on the characters, not just shaders, and if you want to change settings, use this map or that?

Post edited by Jan19 on
    Jan19 said:

​Folks, regarding the product itself -- I was confused when I looked at the pdf, too.  So I said the hell with it and started applying the shaders.

​They stick to G3F just fine.  I didn't even have to isolate surfaces.  And while it may look as if some areas are broken up in preview -- don't know if that's my lights or the shaders -- the renders look good.  They don't take forever, either, even w/my cpu rendering.

​But I'm still puzzled by the pdf.  Is it backup?  Like...make sure you have maps on the characters, not just shaders, and if you want to change settings, use this map or that?

Please show us some of your results, Jan19. I always like to see how products work for users.

edited July 2016
    barbult said:
    Jan19 said:

Please show us some of your results, Jan19. I always like to see how products work for users.

Okey doke.  Gimme an hour or so, and I'll try to post a render. :-)

Post edited by Jan19 on
    edited July 2016

All right, I may be doing more harm than good here.  I sure hope not, but please remember these are quick renders.  Both rendered @ medium settings to approx 70%.  The AG render took about ten minutes more than the non-AG one.

First render is a Raiya character, no AG skin shader.

The second render is the same character, same lights, with one of the AG velvet presets for the skin and lips.  No gloss.  Everything else is set to Default AG, right down the line, except the translucency color is set to red and not orange.  BTW, I'd love to know what a velvet curve is. 

Just basics, no experimentation.  I better not do that and post the image.  Not until I figure out what I'm doing.

Well, the renders won't upload.  Maybe they're too big.  Be right back.

Edit:  these are jpg, not png, and reduced to 600 X 600.  The images were too big. 

Jolina_NoExtraSkinShader.jpg
    600 x 600 - 223K
    Jolina_SkinShaderVelvet.jpg
    600 x 600 - 218K
    Post edited by Jan19 on
    edited July 2016

And here's the same character, with AG gloss settings on the skin and lips.  Red translucency -- I like that better than orange -- Default metallic flakes, guess I thought the gloss might need 'em.  Everything else is Default, right on down the line.  Hm.  I kinda like this one, but it's png, not jpg.  Please, let it upload.  And it didn't.

Edit:  jpg again.  I have lost this girl's eyelight, somewhere.

Could we see someone else's renders and settings? 

Jolina_AGShaderGloss.jpg
    600 x 600 - 226K
    Post edited by Jan19 on

Nobody?  You all gonna hang me out to dry?  smiley  Seriously, somebody has to know something about that velvet curve and the right amount of metallic flakes to put on skin. 

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555

I will add a couple of comparison renders so you are not alone, left is V7 standard - right with the shader and low metallic flakes.

I have not had time to try to figure out the other things either but will look some more after I finish my real work -:)

Shaders-1.jpg
    1400 x 1000 - 229K
    Shaders-2.jpg
    1400 x 1200 - 172K
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606

the reason there are so many options is because it all depends on the lighting and what kind of camera setup you have.
    closeup?  you want more more refraction.
    want a more oily skin?  you need to up the curve and play with the metalic flakes.

There is no one right way to do everything. 

Tottallou said:

I will add a couple of comparison renders so you are not alone, left is V7 standard - right with the shader and low metallic flakes.

I have not had time to try to figure out the other things either but will look some more after I finish my real work -:)

Thank you. :-)  Those look great.  I like the way the AG shaders take the orange out of the skin.

the reason there are so many options is because it all depends on the lighting and what kind of camera setup you have.
    closeup?  you want more more refraction.
    want a more oily skin?  you need to up the curve and play with the metalic flakes.

There is no one right way to do everything. 

Thank you.  :-)  More refraction for closeup.  Got it.  Thanks for the info on the curve and flakes, too.  :-)

• Dimension-ZDimension-Z Posts: 352
    edited July 2016

Hi guys & girls and thank you a lot you've purchased my product!

1. The PDF file is in the Library/Readme folder. You must have a lot of vendors pdf's or txt's. Search for it as: 33501_NGS-Anagenessis-User-Guide.pdf

2. 01 Lips / 02 Eyes / 03 Nails / 04 Mouth, are standalone presets only for those parts.

3. 05 Translucency you have two translucent color options with 4 different weight values. These will help you with Light or Dark Skins. Maybe you need to lighten or Darken your model. If you don't have SSS map, use Color map. Don't leave it blank!!!

4. 06 Metallic Flakes : Flakes Presets have to do with oily or wet look & Glossiness Default-High with Glossy Layered Weight.

5. 07 For Velvet Skins: Curves have to do with skin velvecy & shining edges of the body. Glossiness is how much gloss do you want it all of this.

6. 08 Refraction : For CloseUp. That doesn't mean you cann't use for other poses, but it increase your rendering times. So if you don't have close up just turn it off. The more you increase Indexing the less rendering time but you loose details in this effect with closeups. The more you increase Weight, the darker you take. But I will say it again. If you don't want it for closeups TURN IT OFF.

7. As I said in the Guide, YOU CAN USE Bumps on Displacement Value and NOT YOU MUST USE. I have tried it in my promos and gave me very good results!

NOTE: Don't be scared with Black Stripes on Preview. It's because Refraction is ON. it's normal on Rendering. If you want to use Refraction and pose your model, you can turn it off until you posing & turn it on for rendering!

Thank you all

Post edited by Dimension-Z on
    Tottallou said:

Very Good results!

Jan19 said:

And here's the same character, with AG gloss settings on the skin and lips.  Red translucency -- I like that better than orange -- Default metallic flakes, guess I thought the gloss might need 'em.  Everything else is Default, right on down the line.  Hm.  I kinda like this one, but it's png, not jpg.  Please, let it upload.  And it didn't.

I have maken renders with this model. She has GREAT maps!

Tottallou said:

Did you enjoy it at first testing?

barbult said:

The PDF is very confusing to me, too. There are horizontal lines with the words "Daz Studio Auto-Generated Maps" next to them, but no maps in that area of the settings. So what is that trying to tell us?

I'm also skeptical of any Iray material settings that tell me to use a figure's bump map in the displacement channel. I don't see how the tiny height difference details in a figure's bump map will be used effectively by Iray displacement.

Maps are color autogenerated maps. Just a gray map. It cuts the values completely different than to add a plain color!

Of course it's not what I wanted to say! ;)

Jan19 said:

Yes. :-)  Raiya's characters are among the best.  That's why I tested with one of her models.

Thank you very much for the information and tips.  I'm going to copy/paste 1 - 7 to a text file, so I can refer to it later.

Thumbs up on this product, D-Z.  It's a lot of fun to fiddle around with.

Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:

Yes. :-)  Raiya's characters are among the best.  That's why I tested with one of her models.

Thank you very much for the information and tips.  I'm going to copy/paste 1 - 7 to a text file, so I can refer to it later.

Thumbs up on this product, D-Z.  It's a lot of fun to fiddle around with.

No Problem Jan19! Thank you so much!

So... this is a collection of material presets, right? Its not actually a specialized shader? All these comments about Refraction and Metallic Flakes leads me to believe its just using the Iray Uber Base. Not attempting to detract, I just want to understand what it is. 

So... this is a collection of material presets, right? Its not actually a specialized shader? All these comments about Refraction and Metallic Flakes leads me to believe its just using the Iray Uber Base. Not attempting to detract, I just want to understand what it is. 

As I described with my product is for iRay Engine. what else would have to be? And specialized is not for Refraction and Metallic Flakes but for something else that you should have to buy to see it. But as you said you won't. So you will never know what it is my friend! Sorry!

And if someone doesn't find a pdf guide inside default README folder, doesn't mean that this product is not good!

As I described with my product is for iRay Engine. what else would have to be? And specialized is not for Refraction and Metallic Flakes but for something else that you should have to buy to see it. But as you said you won't. So you will never know what it is my friend! Sorry!

And if someone doesn't find a pdf guide inside default README folder, doesn't mean that this product is not good!

So I can't ask a question? I said "I probably won't" not "I definelty won't". Perhaps we are having a communication barrier because of our different native languages and the inherent inability of text only communication to carry the nuances of in-person communication. So, in the interest of a sale or not, and possibly making a potential customer into a "not a chance" customer, I'll ask this question again: 

Are these material presets using the Iray Uber Base shader or not?

I'm giving you a chance here. Perhaps you think I am being picky, or attempting to detract from your product. That is not the case. I just prefer that things be called what they are. A specialized shader is a custom built or modified shader. A material preset using an existing shader, is a material preset using an existing shader. One is not inherently better than the other, but they are inherently different things.

So I can't ask a question? I said "I probably won't" not "I definelty won't". Perhaps we are having a communication barrier because of our different native languages and the inherent inability of text only communication to carry the nuances of in-person communication. So, in the interest of a sale or not, and possibly making a potential customer into a "not a chance" customer, I'll ask this question again: 

I'm giving you a chance here. Perhaps you think I am being picky, or attempting to detract from your product. That is not the case. I just prefer that things be called what they are. A specialized shader is a custom built or modified shader. A material preset using an existing shader, is a material preset using an existing shader. One is not inherently better than the other, but they are inherently different things.

As I see you have stucked at specialized word. And your opinion is that specialized shader must be custom or modified.

For me is a shader that is different than the others with more completely new ways to take the best result!

So yes is a Specialized iRay Uber Shader with presets to choose. But as I said you must buy it to see it. And if you won't no problem!

But I didn't remember to describe somewhere that is a Custom Shader!

As I see you have stucked at specialized word. And your opinion is that specialized shader must be custom or modified.

For me is a shader that is different than the others with more completely new ways to take the best result!

So yes is a Specialized iRay Uber Shader with presets to choose. But as I said you must buy it to see it. And if you won't no problem!

I'm gonna be honest here and say I'm having a little trouble following you. I'm pretty sure you are saying that it is not a custom built shader. Or at least, I was pretty sure until that last line which I just don't think translated well into English, because it doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps someone who has bought the product can answer my question?

I can always buy it and return it, but then I'll be an unhappy customer.

edited July 2016

I'm gonna be honest here and say I'm having a little trouble following you. I'm pretty sure you are saying that it is not a custom built shader. Or at least, I was pretty sure until that last line which I just don't think translated well into English, because it doesn't make any sense.

Thank you and very sorry that you are unhappy with a product that you didn't see what it does! If this not an attempting to detract, so what else it would be?

It's an iRay Uber Shader. But...

edited July 2016

Thank you and very sorry that you are unhappy with a product that you didn't see what it does! If this not an attempting to detract, so what else it would be?

It's an iRay Uber Shader. But...

Thank you.

That's all I wanted to know.

I made no value judgement regarding a custom shader vs material presets, I just wanted to know which it was so that I could make an informed decision.

I prefer my own materials to most that I have purchased. I have returned several because I thought they were not good enough and didn't teach me anything. I've kept some simply because they taught me things, even if I don't use them. I have never bad-mouthed someone's materials that they have put up for sale, though I may have recommended some over others.

I recognized all along here that there was a language barrier between us, but a shader is a shader and a preset is a preset and the store doesn't do anyone any favors when it uses the terms interchangeably.

If I decide that I might learn something from your materials, I'll buy them; and if I have to return them for whatever reason, I won't be unhappy.