N.G.S. Anagenessis for Genesis 3

Comments

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861
    edited July 2016

Hi all. I've used this shader in promo images for a pair of pumps that I sent in for consideration by Daz just yesterday. This isn't meant to be a plug obviously, but since results of the shader were requested here I hope it's ok to post these images.

This is my custom skin by the way so you won't find this anywhere for now. Maybe at some point, still a work in progress though.

vendor_poster_01b.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 438K
    vendor_poster_03.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 442K
    vendor_poster_04.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 413K
    Post edited by bluejaunte on
  • Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited July 2016

Since hostilities have ceased, and the language barrier has been broken, I guess it's safe to lift my head. laughyesdevil  Sorry, I know you all get tired of me being a pain in the neck.

bluejaunte, I absolutely love your renders!  The skin looks great, and is that a velvet shader?

I'd like to ask Dimension-Z a question:  can we use gloss and velvet shaders at the same time?  I know that sounds weird, but I wondered if the materials stacked.

Post edited by Jan19 on
    edited July 2016

Yup, the DAZ Uber velvet shader was indeed the base for the.... well, velvet/suede whatever you wanna call it smiley

Edit: Oh I think I misunderstood, you meant the skin? No it was one of the glossy presets i think (tweaked it to my liking of course).

Post edited by bluejaunte on

Yup, the DAZ Uber velvet shader was indeed the base for the.... well, velvet/suede whatever you wanna call it smiley

Edit: Oh I think I misunderstood, you meant the skin? No it was one of the glossy presets i think (tweaked it to my liking of course).

Yes, I meant the skin setting. :-)  I absolutely love your tweaking.  Not too shiny, just right.

Thanks for answering. :-)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

@evilded777 asked a very valid question. The product page states "N.G.S. Anagenessis for Genesis 3" is a specialized Iray skin shader" (emphasis mine). I'm not trying to stir up controversy here. I'm trying to point out that Daz creates this confusion by not distinguishing between a "shader" and a "shader preset". They are NOT the same thing. evilded777 understands this and was trying to get clarification. It has now been clarified, I believe, and we understand that the product is a set of specialized presets for Iray Uber shader. Like evilded777, I'm not implying that this is either bad or good. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches, in my opinion. What is good is that Dimension-Z is participating in the forum and answering questions, customers are enjoying the product, and potential customers who follow this thread have a better understanding of what the product consists of.

So after revisiting what I'd done it looks like not much at all. Used the Skin A NGS Gloss preset and then just tweaked Translucency Color to look right with my color map (for lack of SSS map as of yet), settled on setting it to 50% gray and that gave it the look I had in mind for my pale skin. The rest was just minor tweaks to the bump map strength to get my bump map to look about right. All depends on the maps used more than anything of course.

Hi all. I've used this shader in promo images for a pair of pumps that I sent in for consideration by Daz just yesterday. This isn't meant to be a plug obviously, but since results of the shader were requested here I hope it's ok to post these images.

This is my custom skin by the way so you won't find this anywhere for now. Maybe at some point, still a work in progress though.

Beautiful shoes and beautiful skin!

Also, thank you, Jan19 and Tottallou for posting your examples and experience with the product, and Lyoness for the tips.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610
    edited July 2016
    barbult said:

@evilded777 asked a very valid question. The product page states "N.G.S. Anagenessis for Genesis 3" is a specialized Iray skin shader" (emphasis mine). I'm not trying to stir up controversy here. I'm trying to point out that Daz creates this confusion by not distinguishing between a "shader" and a "shader preset". They are NOT the same thing. evilded777 understands this and was trying to get clarification. It has now been clarified, I believe, and we understand that the product is a set of specialized presets for Iray Uber shader. Like evilded777, I'm not implying that this is either bad or good. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches, in my opinion. What is good is that Dimension-Z is participating in the forum and answering questions, customers are enjoying the product, and potential customers who follow this thread have a better understanding of what the product consists of.

shader preset is the answer I believe you were looking for.

looks like I'm a little late to the party

Post edited by Lyoness on
    Lyoness said:
    barbult said:

shader preset is the answer I believe you are looking for.

Yes, that is what i was attempting to say by "we understand that the product is a set of specialized presets for Iray Uber shader."

If only we could get Daz to advertise products like this accurately as "shader preset", this kind of question wouldn't even have been needed.

barbult said:

Beautiful shoes and beautiful skin!

Thanks! First product here if Daz approves it smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

yes the product descriptions for much in the store is cryptic to say the least.

As an Octane user I have a lot of fun figuring out if things are texture maps I can use with an Octane shader applied, Proceedural 3Delight or iray etc as often its a clear as mud. this product I clearly saw as iray only at least so looked no further.

So after revisiting what I'd done it looks like not much at all. Used the Skin A NGS Gloss preset and then just tweaked Translucency Color to look right with my color map (for lack of SSS map as of yet), settled on setting it to 50% gray and that gave it the look I had in mind for my pale skin. The rest was just minor tweaks to the bump map strength to get my bump map to look about right. All depends on the maps used more than anything of course.

Thanks, again. :-)  I agree about the maps.  Some characters look great, rendered straight up, but don't look as good with the AG shader or shader preset or whatever. 

Not challenging anyone, but doggone if I want to join that fuss.

Also, thank you, Jan19 and Tottallou for posting your examples and experience with the product, and Lyoness for the tips.

You're welcome.  :-)  It was my pleasure, thank you for asking me to post something.

looks like I'm a little late to the party

Yes, you missed a good one. wink

• KaimetsuoKaimetsuo Posts: 48

Hiya! *waves*

Just wanted to say that these presets are great for folks that don't quite have the knowledge to tweak everything for their characters skin in DAZ. :D 

Just got through posting this one on DA, and am very happy with how it turned out. :) Helped greatly with the shine for the hot summer day.

Lots of hugs,

~LQ

image.png
    1024 x 819 - 1M
    edited July 2016
    Kaimetsuo said:

Hiya! *waves*

Just wanted to say that these presets are great for folks that don't quite have the knowledge to tweak everything for their characters skin in DAZ. :D 

And that would be me. :-)  I can do pbr material maps for clothes and such, but when it comes to skin, I am not worth a flip.

Kaimetsuo said:

Just got through posting this one on DA, and am very happy with how it turned out. :) Helped greatly with the shine for the hot summer day.

Lots of hugs,

~LQ

Hey, nice to meet you. :-)  I love the colors in your render, and the nice tanned skin.  She's a bit formidable looking, but the skintones are interesting.

Here's one I did, just for the fun of it.  Glossy preset b, I think, with low velvet flakes because of the shine on Rune's neck.  I absolutely have no idea how I'm losing my spec eyelights.  They just aren't working.

Yes, I am hung up on that particular hair, at the moment. :-)

Rune_AGShader.jpg
    600 x 600 - 289K
    Post edited by Jan19 on
    Jan19 said:

Gosh, that is nice hair. What is it?

barbult said:
    Jan19 said:

OOT Kyle Hair for G3F. smiley​ 

• Dimension-ZDimension-Z Posts: 352
    edited July 2016
    Jan19 said:

Since hostilities have ceased, and the language barrier has been broken, I guess it's safe to lift my head. laughyesdevil  Sorry, I know you all get tired of me being a pain in the neck.

bluejaunte, I absolutely love your renders!  The skin looks great, and is that a velvet shader?

I'd like to ask Dimension-Z a question:  can we use gloss and velvet shaders at the same time?  I know that sounds weird, but I wondered if the materials stacked.

Nope my friend. Can't be. Has anisotropic minor & major values! But you can play with glossy weight & glossy metalllic or increase glossy weight more than the limits! ;)

Or you can explain me more what exactly you want to make to help me understand better so I can give you a more correct answer! :)

Post edited by Dimension-Z on
    edited July 2016
    barbult said:

As we all know well, DAZ gives us the options to save as materials, poses, shaders presets etc. So if you modify a material/shader and save it as a shader preset what you have? A custom/modified/specialized shader preset! Evilded777 was talking about a completely new uber or whatever BASE with new nodes. I didn't say I created a new BASE (I hope some day I will) but specialized material/shader presets. And with some way you must give a category name to your product: Velvet Shaders, Gloss Shaders, Skin Shaders, Metal Shaders blah, blah, blah...

The description on my product page is clear:

• Daz Studio Iray Material Presets (.DUF)

Thank you

Dimension-Z.

Post edited by Dimension-Z on
    Jan19 said:

Nope my friend. Can't be. Has anisotropic minor & major values! But you can play with glossy weight & glossy metalllic or increase glossy weight more than the limits! ;)

Or you can explain me more what exactly you want to make to help me understand better so I can give you a more correct answer! :)

No, sweetie, you got it. smiley​  I was going to try to stack velvet and glossy, but I had an uneasy feeling that wouldn't work.  Thanks for the answer!

As we all know well, DAZ gives us the options to save as materials, poses, shaders presets etc. So if you modify a material/shader and save it as a shader preset what you have? A custom/modified/specialized shader preset! Evilded777 was talking about a completely new uber or whatever BASE with new nodes. I didn't say I created a new BASE (I hope some day I will) but specialized material/shader presets. And with some way you must give a category name to your product: Velvet Shaders, Gloss Shaders, Skin Shaders, Metal Shaders blah, blah, blah...

Thank you

Dimension-Z.

Oh, hell, D-Z, I personally don't give a rip what you call your product.  I guess others do, and I guess I'm being rude to those who do care -- and I am so sorry for that. 

But seriously, folks, aren't we beating a dead horse here?

D-Z, your product is cool and fun to play with.  That's all that matters to me.  I sure hope my reply comes across as positive, because that's the way I mean for it to.

Also, well...I buy pre-made light sets, when I can make lights, myself, both mesh and the other kind.  Isn't the principle the same? 

Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:

No, sweetie, you got it. smiley​  I was going to try to stack velvet and glossy, but I had an uneasy feeling that wouldn't work.  Thanks for the answer!

Thank you

Dimension-Z.

Oh, hell, D-Z, I personally don't give a rip what you call your product.  I guess others do, and I guess I'm being rude to those who do care -- and I am so sorry for that. 

But seriously, folks, aren't we beating a dead horse here?

D-Z, your product is cool and fun to play with.  That's all that matters to me.  I sure hope my reply comes across as positive, because that's the way I mean for it to.

Also, well...I buy pre-made light sets, when I can make lights, myself, both mesh and the other kind.  Isn't the principle the same? 

Thnx a lot honey, and I'm really glad that I answered to your question! :)

edited July 2016

laugh​  Honey?  And there's a language barrier?  That's definitiely been overcome, somehow.  Just kidding.  :-)

You're welcome.  No problem.  I am hushing up now.  

Post edited by Jan19 on

Oh, lord, I have killed this thread.  So sorry.  I think I have found another outlet. wink

Jan19 said:
    barbult said:
    Jan19 said:

Thanks. smiley

barbult said:
    Jan19 said:
    barbult said:
    Jan19 said:

Thanks. smiley

You are very welcome. smiley

• PH480PH480 Posts: 6

So, can someone clear up what exactly refraction weight does?  I understand refraction index, but reading the previous posts, I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Hi Friends, Watchers, Boys, Girls & every DAZ User that help me with your supporting to go DAZ iRay Skin Shader to the Next Level!

I guess that any of you try to find out what is N.G.S. & how is working?!
    Many of you may have good results but still trying...

So as a PA now, I feel that I have the duties to show you a way. Because we're not talking about a simple shader preset, but for many specialized presets, completely new for any of you!

As you can easily understand, is not possible to show you the way to one by one.

After all I decided to make some videos tutorials with basic guides of what N.G.S is & how is working.

So stay tuned & soon my videos tutorials will be on my youtube channel!

Thanks to all
    Dimension-Z

So as a PA now, I feel that I have the duties to show you a way. Because we're not talking about a simple shader preset, but for many specialized presets, completely new for any of you!

​There you go, D-Z.  Good call. :-)

So stay tuned & soon my videos tutorials will be on my youtube channel!

​Lay it on us, Houdini. smiley  Looking forward to those.

• edited July 2016

Anyone knows what character body they used to make this scene?

Post edited by hazneliel_cc85b88108 on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited July 2016

I look forward to the videos as I admit I am confused as to what setting to use for what result.

So, as I understand it, we should have maps in these channels and any others should be removed:

•Diffuse

-Translucency Color use Diffuse map if no SSS

•Glossy layered weight

-Refraction weight use Specular map

**Refraction Color (Daz Studio auto-generated map)

•Basic Bump

•Normal Map

*Metallic Flakes use Specular map (Daz Studio auto-generated map)

**Top Coat Weight (Daz Studio auto-generated map)

-Top Coat Bump use Bump map

-Displacement Strength use Bump Map

The bulleted (•) are channels that should have maps.

Plus:

The hyphenated (-) are channels with map recommendations for N.G.S.

The asterisked (*) is one shown with an auto-generated map, but later shows a recommendation to add a map.

The double-asterisked (**) are maps that don't show or have a recommendation for a map and only show auto-generated maps.  The double-asterisked are the ones I don't understand at all.

The results look lovely in the renders I have seen.  The additional information will be welcome.

Thank you.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on