ot Blizzardy Warning? whiskey tango foxtrot

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2016

Blizzard on the way here.  Biggest problem is that DC doesn't have enough equipment to deal with it.  Have to expect the city to shut down for a couple of days.  But the heavy snow doesn't arrive until Friday afternoon so will just have to see if they get it cleaned up fast enough.

From the National Weather Service

Event: Blizzard Watch
    Alert:

...BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH 
    LATE SATURDAY NIGHT... 

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS 
    ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT 
    FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT. 

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW FOR THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING. HEAVY SNOW AND 
    WIND FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. A WINTRY MIX IS 
    POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING EAST OF INTERSTATE 
    95...BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW ON SATURDAY. 

* ACCUMULATIONS...A COATING TO AN INCH THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING. 
    POTENTIAL FOR A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH 
    SATURDAY NIGHT. 

* TIMING...SNOW THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING...THEN HEAVY SNOW FRIDAY 
    AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO 
    DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW...STRONGEST 
    WINDS...AND POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS EXPECTED 
    FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

We had one of those up here a couple days ago, might be getting that one or it's cousin -- a nasty n'oreaster -- by the weekend, according to The Weather Network. frown

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Thankfully here in Rochester NY we're used to lake effect snow and have tons of equiptment and manpower to handle it.  Bad for the school kids though, they almost never get snow days off.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    Hera said:

In Sweden we get this kind of weather all the time during winter.  People hardly notice anymore, they just put on another layer of clothes. smiley

...it's a lot easier to put more on.

When it's hot, there's only so much you can take off.

edited January 2016
    Fisty said:

Thankfully here in Rochester NY we're used to lake effect snow and have tons of equiptment and manpower to handle it.  Bad for the school kids though, they almost never get snow days off.

...in Milwaukee they used to put plough blades on the rubbish trucks as the city runs the refuse collection there. Not sure if they do that anymore.  Even after a big storm the main arterials and most side streets would be ploughed within a day. The one bad thing is they also use a lot of road salt there which is bad for the water table as well as your car, shoes, dog, cat, etc and turns the snow into gloppy slush. Nothing is more miserable than getting splashed with icy cold slush by a passing car while walking down the pavement or waiting for a bus. A good pair of galoshes is a necessity and having warm dry feet matter a lot more than how silly you may look wearing them.

Like Tennessee, here in Portland everything just shuts down even if it's only a few inches. The real down side is before a storm passes through, it usually warms up in the upper atmosphere so we get this lovely coating of ice over everything which lasts about a day or so until the cold air in the valleys is scrubbed out by warmer surface winds.

Being from Wisconsin, I have no trouble getting around in snow. Given the choice, I'd gladly take 18" of the white stuff instead a half an inch of glass smooth ice.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited January 2016

I was living in Reston, VA. out near Dulles Airport northwest of Washington DC back in the early 90's when we had over four feet of snow.  My motorcycle (big BMW) was completely covered.  After carefully digging out the motorcycle with a small shovel I created a three sided "garage" with smooth vertical walls around it in the snow and considered putting a couple of plywood sheets over the top of it but figured the snow wouldn't last long enough.  But it looked cool for a couple of days in it's "garage" in the parking lot! smiley

I've got a photo of it but that was nearly 25 years ago and it's on paper (how quaint) and lost in big storage boxes somewhere. sad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

The local stations don't seem very concerned... But apparently a Level 4 Yeti advisory has been issued.  People in the stores are so stupid... Do people only shop before a blizzard or hurricane?  Like do you have no food in your refrigerator at all the rest of the year?  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

am i supposed to add the day inches to the night inches?

blizzardy.jpg
    970 x 476 - 129K

..yep, so it would be a total of 5 - 10" in the 24 hr period.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

I moved to Coastal Georgia from Missouri after I got out of the Army.

In Missouri, I made snow chains for my motorcycle. Could stop and go pretty well, but cornering was no fun at all.

My first winter here, it snowed. Riding to the grocery store, I was looking at people in the ditches looking at me.

"What an idiot, riding a motorcycle in the snow!"

"What an idiot,driving his car into a ditch!"

That sort of thing.

Got to 26deg last night (Farenheit, and proud of it!)

Brrrr... too cold.

Not too worried. Solar panels and solar heater on the roof, propane in the tank, diesel in the generator, food in the pantry, water in the jugs, ammunition in the guns. It's all good.

26deg. yecch.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

The warm spell's finally over on this side of the Pond as well. Not much more than a sprinkling of snow (yet), but it's been freezing cold for nearly a week now. At least the heavy rain stopped — it was really bad out in the country, and here in town the nearest flooding was where the river passes by the end of the street. Fortunately the street's about 20-30 feet above river level.

s'mores weather!

is the wind gusts scary, knocks things down

MistyMist said:

It takes two day inches to equal 1.00074 night inches, unless it's a Tuesday in December, in which case it's 2.12009 day inches to 1.0013 night inches, but after February 3rd you have to divide the total Klovinski accumulation by the average density of the baseline flake fractal dispersion and multiply that by Twinkie over six... But I could be wrong.

McGyver said:
    MistyMist said:

It takes two day inches to equal 1.00074 night inches, unless it's a Tuesday in December, in which case it's 2.12009 day inches to 1.0013 night inches, but after February 3rd you have to divide the total Klovinski accumulation by the average density of the baseline flake fractal dispersion and multiply that by Twinkie over six... But I could be wrong.

could you imagine a 10" s'mores stack  ?  
    would the marshmallows squish under the weight of gram crackers and hershey miniature choccies, special dark chocolate or krackles

MistyMist said:
    McGyver said:
    MistyMist said:

could you imagine a 10" s'mores stack  ?  
    would the marshmallows squish under the weight of gram crackers and hershey miniature choccies, special dark chocolate or krackles

Imagine it, I'm pretty sure I ate one this summer while introducing my kids to the joy of making s'mores over a campfire... Well, fire pit... I'm not sure why but on occasion if they fall into the fire they burn violet... Maybe that's the yumminess igniting?

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

NYC/NJ here.  Went to Walmart this everning after work to buy necessities, i.e. water, paper towels, etc.  As usual the hoarders have cleaned up the stock of 1 gallon water bottles.  Shelves for the water were almost completely empty.  Why oh Why do people over buy so much so that others end up with nothing?  These hoarders must think they need supplies that will last them 'til spring?!

wuh ohs  can feel a damp heaviness in the air 

w160121.JPG
    685 x 637 - 102K

...batten down the hatches, stay warm, and stay safe.

they've added coastal floodwatch to the warnings.

need a nice bottle o'scotch to keep warm this weekend. cheeky

w160121.JPG
    652 x 510 - 70K

..that would defintiely help (the Scot's whiskey that is).

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2016

We got 5 inches of snow last night in NE Tennessee & it was 45 today and everything melted.starting tonight we are expecting  a big storm  starting out with Tornados & heavy rain with wind gust at 45 mph , changing over to Ice tommrow evening  with 1 to 1/2  inch of ice expected.  then to top it all off  its going to end with 8 to 12 inches of snow by Saturday..lol 

I love living in the Smoky Mountains . heres our forcast

1.JPG
    1800 x 1057 - 126K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    kyoto kid said:

Never!  I will sleep up in a tree tonight in my old speedo!  Safety and warmth be damned!

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,247
    Fisty said:

You're in Rochester, that's cool. I'm in Syracuse. 

Driving earlier this week was a delight, especially since the DPW classifies the street I live on as 'tertiary' for plowing - meaning "we'll get to you when we feel like it".

edited January 2016

surprise You plan on freezing your what-nots off? Suppose you get blown out of the tree and land bum-first in a really big snowbank? Hey, it could happen! That speedo won't do you much good then. 

Post edited by Byrdie on
  • Byrdie said:

surprise You plan on freezing your what-nots off? Suppose you get blown out of the tree and land bum-first in a really big snowbank? Hey, it could happen! That speedo won't do you much good then.

It's made of the same material as Vickie's bikini warrior gear.  Protects against anything.

:nods: That explains it. Whew, now I don't have to worry, what a relief! I'll just buy me one of those and my what-nots will be indestructible too.devil

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 827

Looking at 16-24 inches in my part of Virginia.  Already hit the grocery store and have a couple of bottles of good Irish whiskey all ready to go.  As long as the power holds up, it's going to be a lovely lazy 3 day weekend.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2016
    McGyver said:
    kyoto kid said:

Never!  I will sleep up in a tree tonight in my old speedo!  Safety and warmth be damned!

OOOoooo! So your one of those idiots we have to send the rescue squad after, because they decided not to heed the warnings.. gotcha!

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited January 2016
    ThatGuy said:

NYC/NJ here.  Went to Walmart this everning after work to buy necessities, i.e. water, paper towels, etc.  As usual the hoarders have cleaned up the stock of 1 gallon water bottles.  Shelves for the water were almost completely empty.  Why oh Why do people over buy so much so that others end up with nothing?  These hoarders must think they need supplies that will last them 'til spring?!

People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals... Especially in Walmarts... 

Nobody every plans ahead and then they buy more they can possibly use... They even stock up on the stupidest stuff like ice cream and prunes... So the power goes out and they have to eat all their ice cream and then all they have left is prunes and it's only then that they remember just how lactose intolerant they were without the prunes in the formula... Good for you, you idiots. 

I stopped by BJ's (a big club type store with a misleading name) to pick up some fruit for my girls and the place was packed with people buying  stuff for this new ice age that's upon us. There was one couple with a flatbed cart stacked with at least ten cases of 2.5 gallon bottles of water (2 bottles per case) and at least ten or twelve cases of 16 oz bottles of water (40 or so bottles in a case)... Now maybe they are buying it for a shelter, or some charity thing, but looking at the rest of their purchase, I felt that wasn't the case... Who knows, maybe they have picky mermaids staying with them...  but if it's none of those, I don't get people who have to do that and screw over everyone else... Besides... Water in a blizzard? I could see a hurricane where the water supply can get contaminated, but isn't snow still made out of water?  

Post edited by McGyver on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    Timbales said:

You're in Rochester, that's cool. I'm in Syracuse. 

Sweet!  Darc's parents live in between La Faette and Tully, we have a very good friend in Oswego, and our favorite vape shop is in Liverpool so we're around Syracuse at least 3-4 times a year for visits.  We should hook up and talk shop sometime.