Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.54! (Release Candidate)

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    Ruphuss said:
    barbult said:

I'm confused on how to test the 4.9 beta Daz Connect features, while still using 4.8 for normal work along with the DIM to install. If I install a product in DS 4.9.0.54 with Daz Connect, it doesn't show up in 4.8, because 4.8 does not look at the Daz Connect data. So, I use the DIM to install the same product, so DS 4.8 can use it. Now I have 2 sets of metadata for the same product - one is in my normal content library where the DIM installs products, and one is in the Daz Connect data. Which one gets used? Does this cause problems?

In 4.8 the one installed by DIM gets used. In 4.9 the one installed by DAZ Connect gets used.

this sounds like for 4.9 we have to be online ?

No. It's a function of the database structure. I suspect that if you use content library and not smart content you'll end up with the DIM install on either version.

• Already fixed the DB Editor commit bug... look at the change log, near the bottom.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 2015
    namffuak said:

Restarting CMS how? As a Windows service? That's the Valentina Database, and Studio 4.9 requires Postgres. If it is the Postgres database you're having problems with we may need some log information.

Thank you for responding. No, no Valentina here for a long time. Restarting via the DS menu (see the screenshot).

First time I loaded 4.9 after the 1511 upgrade, there was an error displayed and categories weren't available at all. When I started the CMS via that menu, the categories appeared but were not populated. This is the log from that time: http://pastebin.com/JQbgrLiv - just in case, Iray is disabled because with my laptop video card, any Iray-enabled applications lead to random BSoDs (the only reason this machine ever BSoDs).

Currently the log says "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit", no errors. But the categories are empty.

menuscreen.png
    249 x 446 - 16K
    Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
    namffuak said:

Restarting CMS how? As a Windows service? That's the Valentina Database, and Studio 4.9 requires Postgres. If it is the Postgres database you're having problems with we may need some log information.

Thank you for responding. No, no Valentina here for a long time. Restarting via the DS menu (see the screenshot).

First time I loaded 4.9 after the 1511 upgrade, there was an error displayed and categories weren't available at all. When I started the CMS via that menu, the categories appeared but were not populated. This is the log from that time: http://pastebin.com/JQbgrLiv - just in case, Iray is disabled because with my laptop video card, any Iray-enabled applications lead to random BSoDs (the only reason this machine ever BSoDs).

Currently the log says "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit", no errors. But the categories are empty.

OK - I had this happen to me on my test system (laptop) on an earlier beta - it sounds like the 4.9 upgrade/migration of content failed.

The first time you start 4.9 it 'upgrades' your database (adds one or more new tables) and then migrates your existing content to the new tables. If your categories show in 4.8 but not 4.9 the migration failed for some reason (I think I whacked it by being too eager to start using 4.9 the one time).

So - two ways around this: 1) re-import metadata in 4.9 (under Content DB Maintenance).

Or (and I favor this approach) 2) in 4.8, Content DB Maintenance -> Export User Data; Reset Database; Re-import Metadata; shut down 4.8 and wait for Postgres to also shut down; Start 4.9 and don't do anything - down in the lower left you should see 'Migrating x of y items' and a yellow progress bar lower right; wait for this to finish and THEN click on 'connect' or 'work off-line'.

• namffuak said:

So - two ways around this: 1) re-import metadata in 4.9 (under Content DB Maintenance).

Or (and I favor this approach) 2) in 4.8, Content DB Maintenance -> Export User Data; Reset Database; Re-import Metadata; shut down 4.8 and wait for Postgres to also shut down; Start 4.9 and don't do anything - down in the lower left you should see 'Migrating x of y items' and a yellow progress bar lower right; wait for this to finish and THEN click on 'connect' or 'work off-line'.

Thank you! I tried the first way and it didn't work, so I will try the second one (when I'm finished with the render I'm making right now). BTW, I just noticed the icons in Shader Builder aren't aligned to grid at all in 4.9 - could this be connected to this DB issue?
    sbuilder_weirdicons.png
    1293 x 273 - 157K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Already fixed the DB Editor commit bug... look at the change log, near the bottom.

Hey, Cris, thank you! This was driving me crazy and it was quite a scare to see my content disappear. I'll just wait and hope there is a new beta release to test before it goes to release.

• barbult said:

I'm confused on how to test the 4.9 beta Daz Connect features, while still using 4.8 for normal work along with the DIM to install. If I install a product in DS 4.9.0.54 with Daz Connect, it doesn't show up in 4.8, because 4.8 does not look at the Daz Connect data. So, I use the DIM to install the same product, so DS 4.8 can use it. Now I have 2 sets of metadata for the same product - one is in my normal content library where the DIM installs products, and one is in the Daz Connect data. Which one gets used? Does this cause problems?

In 4.8 the one installed by DIM gets used. In 4.9 the one installed by DAZ Connect gets used.

Ah yes, this is a true statement however, if you install using DIM for 4.8 and then install using 'Connect' in 4.9 you end up with duplicate EVERYTHING, not just the meta data. I could not figure out why my HD free space dropped by 120 GB after updating my existing Content Directory from 4.8 to 4.9. I performed an install using 'Connect' for all of the products that showed as available in 4.9. It took me a little digging around to discover I now had everything I had installed using the DIM installed twice, once in the regular folders and again in the new data\cloud\1_[product_id] folders. I uninstalled everything using DIM and then had to figure out what was missing in 4.9. So be sure to only 'Update Metadata' for the items that are already installed to the traditional folders.

To Ruphuss,

No you don't have to be on-line to use 4.9. You only need to be on-line to install or update content using the new 'Connect' feature. Otherwise there is no need for an active internet connection.

Regarding purchases showing up in 'Connect'. I posted about a problem yesterday and incorrectly reported that it was fixed when I made another purchase. That is not true! I have to make a new purchase before the previous purchase shows up in the 'Connect' feature. I am reporting it as a bug.

• Can you lock the feet and move genesis 3 with her hip for keyframe animation or is that still not working?

• Can you lock the feet and move genesis 3 with her hip for keyframe animation or is that still not working?

You've posted this in multiple places - what do you eman by not working? That the feet don't pin (are you using the Universal Tool or Power pose)? Or that the feet move between frames (the smooth interpolation used by default can product this if you have two identical keys and then movement before or after, KeyMate or various free scripts can switch interpolation type)? Or something else?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Ruphuss said:
    barbult said:

this sounds like for 4.9 we have to be online ?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The database is not online, it is on your computer. 4.9 uses different tables than 4.8 uses for the database. The 4.8 tables are migrated to 4.9 for you when you start Daz Studio. The question asked was if content was installed through both Install manager and Daz Connect, which one would 4.9 use? If it isn't using the one that was installed through Daz Connect, that would be a bug. 

This is important to people that use Carrara with Daz Content. Carrara 8.5 uses the same tables for Smart Content that Daz Studio 4.8 uses. This is why we are recommending that people that use Carrara continue to use Install Manager for the content they wish to use in Carrara. 

Yes, to download content through Daz Connect you are required to log in through Daz Studio, as opposed to logging in through DIM, or logging in to the store with your Browser and going to Product Library. To download content you will have to log in, that doesn't change, you just have one more way to do it.  Once the content is downloaded there is no need to log in to use the content. 

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The database is not online, it is on your computer. 4.9 uses different tables than 4.8 uses for the database. The 4.8 tables are migrated to 4.9 for you when you start Daz Studio. The question asked was if content was installed through both Install manager and Daz Connect, which one would 4.9 use? If it isn't using the one that was installed through Daz Connect, that would be a bug. 

This is important to people that use Carrara with Daz Content. Carrara 8.5 uses the same tables for Smart Content that Daz Studio 4.8 uses. This is why we are recommending that people that use Carrara continue to use Install Manager for the content they wish to use in Carrara. 

Yes, to download content through Daz Connect you are required to log in through Daz Studio, as opposed to logging in through DIM, or logging in to the store with your Browser and going to Product Library. To download content you will have to log in, that doesn't change, you just have one more way to do it.  Once the content is downloaded there is no need to log in to use the content. 

I'm really glad you guys cleared up my concerns with studio, and this is good news as I also have Carrara! 

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    JDStrider said:
    barbult said:

Ah yes, this is a true statement however, if you install using DIM for 4.8 and then install using 'Connect' in 4.9 you end up with duplicate EVERYTHING, not just the meta data. I could not figure out why my HD free space dropped by 120 GB after updating my existing Content Directory from 4.8 to 4.9. I performed an install using 'Connect' for all of the products that showed as available in 4.9. It took me a little digging around to discover I now had everything I had installed using the DIM installed twice, once in the regular folders and again in the new data\cloud\1_[product_id] folders. I uninstalled everything using DIM and then had to figure out what was missing in 4.9. So be sure to only 'Update Metadata' for the items that are already installed to the traditional folders.

To Ruphuss,

No you don't have to be on-line to use 4.9. You only need to be on-line to install or update content using the new 'Connect' feature. Otherwise there is no need for an active internet connection.

Regarding purchases showing up in 'Connect'. I posted about a problem yesterday and incorrectly reported that it was fixed when I made another purchase. That is not true! I have to make a new purchase before the previous purchase shows up in the 'Connect' feature. I am reporting it as a bug.

There is an update coming for Install Manager that will help in that respect. 

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

Through out this thread and in the promonotion it has been stated that DAZ Studio 4.9 installs independently

of 4.8.

Because of the fact it does not I lost both programs for two days, it took two system restores to get

back to where I was.

In reading these threads and looking at the solutions, can anyone still say with a straight face that

one program has nothing to do with another..

Will not install DAZ Studio 9 for at least a few months. My problem and the question for this thread is

that I read an inference that there will be future content sold here that does not work in DAZ Studio 4.8 Pro.

Incidentally was told that the problems were specific to me, received a few PMs that assure me that is

not the case. Am in the process of stockpilling installation programs of DAZ Studio 4.8 against the day it will

not be available.

So will content be sold in the future that will not work in 8 but only in 9?

Thank you.

• JDStrider said:
    barbult said:

To Ruphuss,

There is an update coming for Install Manager that will help in that respect. 

Cool, that will help!

bicc39 said:

Through out this thread and in the promonotion it has been stated that DAZ Studio 4.9 installs independently

of 4.8.

Because of the fact it does not I lost both programs for two days, it took two system restores to get

back to where I was.

In reading these threads and looking at the solutions, can anyone still say with a straight face that

Will not install DAZ Studio 9 for at least a few months. My problem and the question for this thread is

that I read an inference that there will be future content sold here that does not work in DAZ Studio 4.8 Pro.

Incidentally was told that the problems were specific to me, received a few PMs that assure me that is

not the case. Am in the process of stockpilling installation programs of DAZ Studio 4.8 against the day it will

not be available.

Thank you.

Yes - the beta ONLY shares the database with the current release. You actually need to go into the beta and explicitly add your current content directories so the beta can find them. This has been the case since DIM was updated to do the beta install quite some time ago. As far aas your second question goes - yes. In part because any product created by a PA that includes a script always includes the script in encypted form - and encrypted scripts do not work in a version of Studio earlier than the version they were creaed in. Products that do not include scripts should continue to work just fine - until some future release changes file formats (Studio 4.0 and earlier can't read the 'duf' file format that is the default for 4.5 and abovee, for example).

I've run the beta and release versions of Studio (both 32 and 64 bit) in parallel on two systems since the DIM change, whnever that was - prior to that I ran the betas in 32-bit mode and the release in 64-bit, all with no issues.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    bicc39 said:

of 4.8.

back to where I was.

not be available.

Thank you.

Now, at some point in there may be some Connect only content...but if/when that happens, is it really any different than the current content that can not be used in Studio 1.8, 2.3, 3.whatever?

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

Thank you all!!!!

edited December 2015

I'm having a user interface issue. When the dock area containing the Render Settings pane is at its minimum width and the Presets tab is selected, it is impossible to adjust the vertical divider to see the left side of the Presets area. At first I thought it was just not showing the presets. Now I realize that it won't display the presets because I can't adjust the vertical  divider to make the Presets area big enough to click on All or Render-Settings or Lights. I have to enlarge the width of the dock area quite a bit to be able to adjust the Render Settings divider. The Editor tab has a minimum size for the left side of the divided area, to prevent it from getting sized too small. The Presets tab needs to have a minimum width, too.

Render Settings Presets.jpg
    871 x 1160 - 301K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

3Delight is causing DS to crash with error code 0x00000008 "Not enough storage is available to process this command"

It seems to be happening mostly when I use displacement maps.
    I saved the crash report if it's needed.

The scene was just a V4 wearing Pretty3Ds'  "Lassie of the Seas" outfit and an UberEnvironment2 base light.

The taskmanager showed a little under 3GB ram was in use(I have a total of 32GB) prior to the render window opening. RAM usage suddenly jumps to 14GB when the render window opens and at that point the crash report window opens and DS continues to consume RAM until it's killed/closed.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited December 2015

Hi icecrmn,

icecrmn said:

3Delight is causing DS to crash with error code 0x00000008 "Not enough storage is available to process this command"

this seems to be a general problem of DAZ not having a proper memory management.

After several renders and/or spot-renders I experienced the same. A not too complex scene caused the render to crash with a similar message, but in case of iRay render. But after restarting DAZ it rendered without any problems.
    Only bad in case you altered items in the scene without a final "save". surprise

Andy

Post edited by AndyS on
  • RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 904
    edited December 2015
    AndyS said:

Hi icecrmn,

icecrmn said:

this seems to be a general problem of DAZ not having a proper memory management.

After several renders and/or spot-renders I experienced the same. A not too complex scene caused the render to crash with a similar message, but in case of iRay render. But after restarting DAZ it rendered without any problems.
    Only bad in case you altered items in the scene without a final "save". surprise

Andy

I have noticed this too with Iray where sometimes doing a render will cause DS to go into an infinite loop of allocating memory but never rendering anything.  I have yet to find out what the exact steps are to reproduce the problem so I haven't opened a ticket.  This happens too when switching to Interactive rendering for the viewport as well.  The last time it happened I had a G3 character loaded and just her hair and it was taking up almost 10GB of RAM before I was able to kill it with task manager.

Post edited by RobotHeadArt on
    edited December 2015

I found another user interface issue, this time in the Render Settings pane. The scroll bar is sometimes missing on the Environment section when there is a dock area on the bottom of the screen. In this example, I cannot scroll down to Draw Ground to see the value or change the value, because there is no scroll bar.

Missing scroll bar.jpg
    2560 x 1408 - 2M
  • I'm happy to report that the steps to re-init DB migration worked perfectly! Thanks again.

But the shader builder icons are still messed up. Could anyone take a look at their shader builder tab to see if it's just me?

edited December 2015

I'm happy to report that the steps to re-init DB migration worked perfectly! Thanks again.

But the shader builder icons are still messed up. Could anyone take a look at their shader builder tab to see if it's just me?

Not lookin' good here.

Screenshot 2015-12-18 22.22.34.png
    510 x 341 - 56K
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited December 2015

@ metadata update with DAZ connect

1) When "just" the metadata of a product is updated by DAZ3D staff will the product show up in the Smart Content "Update" tab of DS?

or

2) Do we manually need to update metadata by right clicking a product and selecting "update metadata"?

or

3) Are metadata updates downloaded automatically and only geometry, texture or preset related product updates shown in the update tab?

- - -

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • Is this the place to ask questions about the Beta?  Anyway - could someone suggest a method for finding newly installed files? (I am still installing content the "old fashioned" way - no managers etc.)  I do this ("scan known directories") as usual, eventually I can find the files (mostly/sometimes) but they are not easy to find since not highlighted as they used to be.

scan known directories.jpg
    317 x 173 - 24K
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437

So could someone explain the "file link" thing to me?

Its not very clear how one gets Connect installed content into the Content Library tree view.  That is what has been proposed, no? Because using Pose Builder is an enormous pain with Connect content.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 2015

Is this the place to ask questions about the Beta?  Anyway - could someone suggest a method for finding newly installed files? (I am still installing content the "old fashioned" way - no managers etc.)  I do this ("scan known directories") as usual, eventually I can find the files (mostly/sometimes) but they are not easy to find since not highlighted as they used to be.

Moved to the beta thread.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • @ metadata update with DAZ connect

1) When "just" the metadata of a product is updated by DAZ3D staff will the product show up in the Smart Content "Update" tab of DS?

or

2) Do we manually need to update metadata by right clicking a product and selecting "update metadata"?

or

3) Are metadata updates downloaded automatically and only geometry, texture or preset related product updates shown in the update tab?

- - -

3) is correct. Metadata - for all products, since it is needed to get a listing from which you can download, is updated as needed when you connect to the daz site (so it's not automatic in the sense of behind you back, you do have to log-in). The updating is detected via a signature generated from the metadata, not by downloading the whole record for comparison. You can use the context menu to get the current version, in case you have made edits and want to restore the official version I think.

• barbult said:

I'm happy to report that the steps to re-init DB migration worked perfectly! Thanks again.

Not lookin' good here.

Thanks for confirming... do we file a bug report now?