The New Mac FAQ

1…4567810»

Comments

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,198

    echristopherclark said:

    Totte said:

    The warning is for macOS 28, which will no longer support Rosetta2, which will arrive in about a year.

    Thanks, Totte. That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Do we have any notion from Daz about whether there will be a Apple Silicon-native version before next year?

    All I know is that the Evergreen thread states:

    • macOS: Ventura (13), Sonoma (14), Sequoia (15), Tahoe (26)
      • 64-bit Intel (x86_64)
      • Apple Silicon (arm64) is currently supported through Rosetta emulation
        • Native support is pending

    Which I interpret as "work is ongoing"

  • Thanks!

  • ElorElor Posts: 4,197

    echristopherclark said:

    Do we have any notion from Daz about whether there will be a Apple Silicon-native version before next year?

    Don't tell Daz (it would be nice if they were able to get a native version as soon as possible :P), but Mac OS Golden Gate should receive security update until 2029, so from our point of view, the actual limit before we have to keep a potentially unsecure OS on our Macs to use Daz Studio is not next year.

  • Lee MoonLee Moon Posts: 940

    Has anyone updated to macOS Golden Gate just yet? The release version went live a few hours ago and I'm not sure if there will be problems with using DS 4.24 or 6. Sometimes these things break software. :)

    Appreciate any first hand results with DS and Golden Gate from those kind enough to let us know.

    Thanks!!

    Lee

     

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,198

    Not yet, I'll be installing on one of my machines soon, and report back.

  • Elor said:

    echristopherclark said:

    Do we have any notion from Daz about whether there will be a Apple Silicon-native version before next year?

    Don't tell Daz (it would be nice if they were able to get a native version as soon as possible :P), but Mac OS Golden Gate should receive security update until 2029, so from our point of view, the actual limit before we have to keep a potentially unsecure OS on our Macs to use Daz Studio is not next year.

    What about new Macs? If someone chooses or has to buy a nw system with next yera's MacOS would they be able to roll back to this year's? I thought in the past it had not been possible to rol back past the version your model shipped with, but I am not a Mac user.

  • Lee MoonLee Moon Posts: 940

    Totte said:

    Not yet, I'll be installing on one of my machines soon, and report back.

    Awesome! Thank you, Totte!

    Lee

     

  • Lee MoonLee Moon Posts: 940
    edited September 14

    Richard Haseltine said:

    Elor said:

    echristopherclark said:

    Do we have any notion from Daz about whether there will be a Apple Silicon-native version before next year?

    Don't tell Daz (it would be nice if they were able to get a native version as soon as possible :P), but Mac OS Golden Gate should receive security update until 2029, so from our point of view, the actual limit before we have to keep a potentially unsecure OS on our Macs to use Daz Studio is not next year.

    What about new Macs? If someone chooses or has to buy a nw system with next yera's MacOS would they be able to roll back to this year's? I thought in the past it had not been possible to rol back past the version your model shipped with, but I am not a Mac user.

    That would be correct, Richard.

    No rollback to a macOS version released prior to the launch of a new Mac. Might be able to do it through some hack, but not at all recommended.

    Yeah, I had to delay purchasing a first generation Apple Silicon Mac when DS wouldn't run right away due to Apple deprecating libraries, etc. if I recall. My memory's not what it was, though. LOL

    Lee 

     

    Post edited by Lee Moon on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,198

    macOS 27 Compatibilty checks

    - DIM OK
    - DS 4.24.0.4 OK
    - DS 6 Release OK
    - DS 6 Beta OK

  • Lee MoonLee Moon Posts: 940

    Totte said:

    macOS 27 Compatibilty checks

    - DIM OK
    - DS 4.24.0.4 OK
    - DS 6 Release OK
    - DS 6 Beta OK

    Thank you so very much, Totte!

    Super appreciative of you checking on this so quickly!!

    Will update my M4 iMac tonight or tomorrow morning. Thank you again.

    Lee

     

  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 4,032

    Lee Moon said:

    Has anyone updated to macOS Golden Gate just yet? The release version went live a few hours ago and I'm not sure if there will be problems with using DS 4.24 or 6. Sometimes these things break software. :)

    Appreciate any first hand results with DS and Golden Gate from those kind enough to let us know.

    Thanks!!

    Lee

    I have both updated to Golden Gate and rendered in Daz studio 6 with no problems.

  • Lee MoonLee Moon Posts: 940

    nemesis10 said:

    Lee Moon said:

    Has anyone updated to macOS Golden Gate just yet? The release version went live a few hours ago and I'm not sure if there will be problems with using DS 4.24 or 6. Sometimes these things break software. :)

    Appreciate any first hand results with DS and Golden Gate from those kind enough to let us know.

    Thanks!!

    Lee

    I have both updated to Golden Gate and rendered in Daz studio 6 with no problems.

    Excellent news, nemesis10!

    I'm very pleased with the results you and Totte are providing. 

    Thank you so much for taking the time to help!!

    Very much appreciated. :)

    Lee

     

  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,141

    Thank you @Totte and @nemesis10 I came here to see if anyone had any warnings before I updated.

    Mary

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,198
    edited September 16

    macOS 27 now explicitly says "This application contains  parts that will not work in macOS 28" when you run it, so they have changed the warning.

    Post edited by Totte on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,141

    Well along with having to sign back into my Apple account, all seems okay for now. And all my 'current' supported iPads and my iPhone had security updates again after last week's. I need to double-check my Windows 11 now, it hinted at something coming yesterday.

  • Totte said:

    What macOS version, and what does the DIM log says?


     

    Well, here's an interesting thing.

    I'm running Tahoe 26.2. This is what I remember updating to, and what my Mac says I'm running. But when I look at the logs on DIM, the first thing it says is: 

    2026-09-08 16:37:49.574 +++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.4.1.96 starting +++++++++++++++++

    2026-09-08 16:37:49.574 [INFO] :: OS bits: 64

    2026-09-08 16:37:49.574 [INFO] :: Platform bits: 64

    2026-09-08 16:37:49.574 [INFO] :: Qt Version: 4.8.7

    2026-09-08 16:37:49.574 [INFO] :: Running on Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2

     

    Now... I've only had this Mac for a couple of years, and I don't remember even running Jaguar on my old one. (I'm assuming the date is from the last time I installed DIM). I sure as hell wasn't running it three weeks ago!

    At the bottom, after I just tried to install DS 6, I get this:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 +++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.4.1.96 starting +++++++++++++++++

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: OS bits: 64

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: Platform bits: 64

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: Qt Version: 4.8.7

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: Running on Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: Current DateTime:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.043 [INFO] ::     Loc: Wed Sep 30 18:09:49 2026

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.043 [INFO] ::     UTC: Wed Sep 30 17:09:49 2026

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.043 [INFO] :: Home Path:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] ::     Location = /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZ3DIM1 64-bit

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 460.4 GB (494384795648)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 108.8 GB  (116845871104)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] :: Application Data:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] ::     Location = /Users/etaktrash/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/InstallManager

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 460.4 GB (494384795648)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 108.8 GB  (116845871104)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] :: Locale: en_GB

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [VERBOSE] :: Translator Not Found: ./language/en_GB

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.044 [INFO] :: Reading dzInstall.ini...

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.047 [INFO] :: Current Account: Account

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.047 [INFO] :: Current Downloads Path:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Location = /Volumes/Daz Boot/Daz 3D/InstallManager/Downloads

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 931.3 GB (999995129856)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 555.7 GB  (596739973120)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] :: Current Content Install Path:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Location = /Volumes/Daz Boot/My Daz 3D Library

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 931.3 GB (999995129856)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 555.7 GB  (596739973120)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] :: Current 64-bit Software Install Path:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Location = /Volumes/Daz Boot/Applications

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 931.3 GB (999995129856)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 555.7 GB  (596739973120)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] :: Current 32-bit Software Install Path:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Location = /Volumes/Daz Boot/Applications

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 931.3 GB (999995129856)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 555.7 GB  (596739973120)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] :: Current Manifests Path:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Location = /Volumes/Daz Boot/Daz 3D/InstallManager/ManifestFiles

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.048 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 931.3 GB (999995129856)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.049 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 555.7 GB  (596739973120)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.049 [INFO] :: Current Thumbnails Path:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.049 [INFO] ::     Location = /Volumes/Daz Boot/Daz 3D/InstallManager/Thumbnails

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.049 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 931.3 GB (999995129856)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.049 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 555.7 GB  (596739973120)

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.049 [VERBOSE] :: Thumbnail Max Height: 182

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.081 [INFO] :: Starting CMS...

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.208 [INFO] :: Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4 on x86_64-apple-darwin, compiled by i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00), 64-bit

    2026-09-30 18:09:52.120 [VERBOSE] :: Logging in...

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.168 [VERBOSE] :: Logged in

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.169 [VERBOSE] :: Checking session ID validity...

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.324 [VERBOSE] :: Session ID valid

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.325 [INFO] :: Requesting product information: 50875...

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.794 [INFO] :: Received product information: 50875

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.795 [INFO] :: Application update not detected

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.839 [INFO] :: Current Account: Account

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.868 [VERBOSE] :: Thumbnail Max Height: 182

    2026-09-30 18:09:53.879 [VERBOSE] :: Checking session ID validity...

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.058 [VERBOSE] :: Session ID valid

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.058 [VERBOSE] :: Requesting remote package data...

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.058 [VERBOSE] :: Requesting current notification data...

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.059 [VERBOSE] :: Requesting default notification data...

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.063 [VERBOSE] :: Begin processing package archive...

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.073 [VERBOSE] :: Finished processing package archive: Elapsed Time 0 min 0 sec 10 msec

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.074 [VERBOSE] :: Begin cleaning package archive...

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.074 [VERBOSE] :: Finished cleaning package archive: Elapsed Time 0 min 0 sec 0 msec

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.074 [VERBOSE] :: Begin processing manifest archive...

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.527 [VERBOSE] :: Finished processing manifest archive: Elapsed Time 0 min 0 sec 453 msec

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.527 [INFO] :: Installed Packages: 965 : 266.0 GB

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.556 [VERBOSE] :: Local cache contains default notification data

    2026-09-30 18:09:54.954 [VERBOSE] :: Requesting current notification resources...

    2026-09-30 18:09:55.762 [VERBOSE] :: Finished retrieving current notification resources

    2026-09-30 18:09:55.762 [VERBOSE] :: Received current notification data

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.853 [VERBOSE] :: Received remote package data: Elapsed Time 0 min 2 sec 795 msec

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.895 [VERBOSE] :: Begin processing remote package data...

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.916 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 90081-3/90081-2 : PBR Scanned Medieval Brick Shader Pack Vol1

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.916 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 90081-4/90081-2 : PBR Scanned Medieval Brick Shader Pack Vol1

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.916 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 90081-5/90081-2 : PBR Scanned Medieval Brick Shader Pack Vol1

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.916 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 90081-6/90081-2 : PBR Scanned Medieval Brick Shader Pack Vol1

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.916 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 90081-1/90081-2 : PBR Scanned Medieval Brick Shader Pack Vol1

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.917 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 86011-2/86011-1 : MOTHER Majestic Season Changing Crown

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.925 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 83110-2/83110-1 : Coralynn Headwear and Collars for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.932 [WARNING] :: Remote Name Collision: 91128-2/91128-1 : XI Forest Den

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.947 [VERBOSE] :: Finished processing remote package data: Elapsed Time 0 min 0 sec 52 msec

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.947 [INFO] :: Remote Products: 849

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.947 [INFO] :: Remote Packages: 1094

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.947 [VERBOSE] :: Begin processing serial number data...

    2026-09-30 18:09:56.947 [VERBOSE] :: Finished processing serial number data: Elapsed Time 0 min 0 sec 0 msec

    2026-09-30 18:10:56.925 [INFO] :: Installing: 89908-4 : Daz Studio 6 (Mac 64-bit)

    2026-09-30 18:11:26.641 [WARNING] :: Install Failed: Daz Studio 6 (Mac 64-bit)

    2026-09-30 18:11:26.642 [INFO] :: Install Queue Finished: 0 min 29.7 sec

    Any ideas? The mismatch on the OS bothers me! 

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,198

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: Running on Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2 <- That is just DIMs OS decoder that is getting it wrong.
    First you can always check that it has Full Disk Access under System settings and Privacy & Security.

    But, I just helped someone else, and what solved it is to remove DIM ( and also DIM prefs in ~/Library/Preferences and in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/ )
    Reinstall DIM, make sure you give it the privilegies asked for during installation and startup, then it works.
     

  • Totte said:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: Running on Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2 <- That is just DIMs OS decoder that is getting it wrong.
    First you can always check that it has Full Disk Access under System settings and Privacy & Security.

    But, I just helped someone else, and what solved it is to remove DIM ( and also DIM prefs in ~/Library/Preferences and in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/ )
    Reinstall DIM, make sure you give it the privilegies asked for during installation and startup, then it works.
     

    I tried that. Same issue. There were no DIM prefs in Library/Preferences, and also it didn't ask me for any during installation. It has full disk access in Systen Settings.

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,198

    etaktrash_d29ae59121 said:

    Totte said:

    2026-09-30 18:09:49.042 [INFO] :: Running on Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2 <- That is just DIMs OS decoder that is getting it wrong.
    First you can always check that it has Full Disk Access under System settings and Privacy & Security.

    But, I just helped someone else, and what solved it is to remove DIM ( and also DIM prefs in ~/Library/Preferences and in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/ )
    Reinstall DIM, make sure you give it the privilegies asked for during installation and startup, then it works.
     

    I tried that. Same issue. There were no DIM prefs in Library/Preferences, and also it didn't ask me for any during installation. It has full disk access in Systen Settings.

    ~/Library  /...  (Your home)/Library... not sysroot/Library...

     

  •  

    ~/Library  /...  (Your home)/Library... not sysroot/Library...

    Yup, tried that too.

    Interestingly, I've tried an experiment: installing DS6 on my Macbook Neo. Now, this is not a machine I want to run DS on, because it's basically an ipad with a keyboard, but the point it I could install it. What's the difference? Well, on my Macbook it doesn't run off the hard drive. It runs off an external drive (largely because it occupied most of my Mac hard drive!). And that was an absolute bitch of an installation.

    So, maybe I'll try installing it directly to the iMac hard drive and see if that works. And then... copy it over to the external drive? I don't know. I'm loathe to wipe the hard drive and start again because I lost a lot last time, but maybe.

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,198

    etaktrash_d29ae59121 said:

     

    ~/Library  /...  (Your home)/Library... not sysroot/Library...

    Yup, tried that too.

    Interestingly, I've tried an experiment: installing DS6 on my Macbook Neo. Now, this is not a machine I want to run DS on, because it's basically an ipad with a keyboard, but the point it I could install it. What's the difference? Well, on my Macbook it doesn't run off the hard drive. It runs off an external drive (largely because it occupied most of my Mac hard drive!). And that was an absolute bitch of an installation.

    So, maybe I'll try installing it directly to the iMac hard drive and see if that works. And then... copy it over to the external drive? I don't know. I'm loathe to wipe the hard drive and start again because I lost a lot last time, but maybe.

    You should install applications in /Applications on your main drive, but data on external drives, so install Studio on your main drive in /Applications, but then when you install Content, that you should install on your external drive, just set that paths up in DIM.

    '

  • Totte said:

    You should install applications in /Applications on your main drive, but data on external drives, so install Studio on your main drive in /Applications, but then when you install Content, that you should install on your external drive, just set that paths up in DIM.

    '

    Well, I've been running DS4 from the external drive for years. The app, the content, everything.

    DIM was happy to install DS6 on my Mac hard drive, but not the external drive. However, it turns out I can just... copy and paste it onto the hard drive. AND THAT WORKED.

    Right now I can't remember why I needed the app on the external drive. There was a reason at the time. But now it's on both.

Sign In or Register to comment.