MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic - Update Sept 23rd 2017: Fixed Dropbox links! [Commercial]

Comments

• It took me a while to realize I need to render out to 3Delight, not Iray. Sigh. NOW, between the step guides and the documentation, I'm finally ready to start 'sperimenting.

Yeah, sorry about that. These shaders were released long before Daz added the Iray renderer to Daz Studio, back when 3Delight was the only renderer available, so the documentation doesn't mention that. ^^"

• That's all right. I've been bit by the 3DL/Iray difference before, so I figured it out much faster this time!

I also had to let the shader for manga-style override the settings on the scleral surfaces, since as you can see in the 'before' image (leftmost) there was a little too much detail. But really, it was the step-by-step part that let me get my teeth into it, so thanks for taking the time to crank it out.

Manga shader - Brodie 01.png
    669 x 691 - 825K
    Manga shader - Brodie 02.png
    669 x 691 - 1M
    Manga shader - Brodie 06.png
    409 x 530 - 333K
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 2015

Lovin the Visual Style Shaders again recently!  :)  I can go for some more colors, how 'bout an expansion pack  ;-)

Picked up the Manga Shaders during the sale, need to give them a go.  I like the idea of combining them.

Swim

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    3dOutlaw said:

Lovin the Visual Style Shaders again recently!  :)  I can go for some more colors, how 'bout an expansion pack  ;-)

Picked up the Manga Shaders during the sale, need to give them a go.  I like the idea of combining them.

Very nice. Did you do the background as well?

Thanks and no, but after I thought that I could probably so something like that in a paint program.  Looks like a few layers and gradients, and a cloud filter.  I may try it next time.

• Ok Outlaw, I saw that render earlier today and thought to myself; "Oh sweet, people are still using the Anime Doll Kit. Body looks a bit different though, maybe it's that AD/Aiko3 hybrid Ken made a long while back..."

Then I got the Renderosity newsletter announcing Anime Doll for G2F and OH MY GOOD GOD I am so happy and excited! The Anime Doll Kit was the first ever Poser model I bought back when I was 14 years old and is pretty much the main reason i'm a part of this community today. That fact that Studio Maya has returned to bring Anime Doll back for Genesis 2 (with additional improvements by you) has made me incredibly happy, and I am so honoured to see my shaders being used in the official promo images for her!

She's in my basket now, and I look forward to using her. :D

I feel very similar, and am glad to have had the opportunity!

After doing it for personal use, I decided to ask Maya if he was interested in working together in a product release.  I was thrilled when he agreed!  Then he made a new hair, some Mats, and the rest is history!

The whole thing has been really fun  :)

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Hi,, I feel really happy, today I finally find  "real anime style figure for genesis family which I hope to reocmmend my friend "

I do not know, why you can get right feeling about anime style, and why you can understand real "kawaii"  , but the figure is real "kawaii"

oh sorry,, I should say,, AIko3 and Aiko4, and Hitomi was good too.  but nowdays I seldom see, I felt it is actual anime style figure.

thanks 3dOutlaw , and thanks TheNathanParable.    (of course I must use your shaders,, I am feel good,, I bought your shaders already,,

this year,, I must try anime style render (I have never thought it with genesis family, after I start daz studio) smiley bye bye!

Thanks (I passed this on to Maya, as well), I am curious to see what Nathan comes up with his shaders for a render  :)  I got the Manga shaders in the sale recently, and want to try them with her yes

• I also saw the Anime Doll for g2f and I am really pumped up for it, but I have a couple of questions and, seeing as there's no official thread for it, I hope you won't mind the thread hijacking:

1.- Are the eyes compatible with other g2f eye materials? I have a lot of anime themed ones and it would be great to be able to use them.

2.- Any plans to make a g2m version? That would really move it from the "buy it when there's a good discount" to the "I need this NOW, and don't you dare stand in my way" category.

Also, for a more on-topic question, any tips on lighting up scenes using the visual style ahaders? I am not feeling that confident with the results I am getting, and, seeing as I love the promo art, it's clear whose fault it is :)

edited December 2015

I'll send you a PM  :)  

For lighting the scenes with VSS...believe it or not the scene above (sans background) is "no lights" and rendered in about 10 seconds!!!!!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    could you cc me on those settings as well, please. that promo render kicks! tnx, ms

Sure, anyone else or other questions PM me, to keep TheNathanParable's thread on topic, thanks!

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 2015

Well i'm very happy to confirm that you CAN use the Anime Doll head on Genesis 2 Male (see render below). When you load the head, you'll get the autofit dialogue. Leave both options as their default ("unsupported" and such), click 'accept', and the head should fit itself onto G2M's neck. Of course it's not intended to be used this way, so you may encounter some issues. For example, I had to reposition the eyeballs manually, as their positioning was made to work with G2F and not G2M (though if you're using the eye customisation morphs you'll probably need to do this anyway, as the eyeballs don't seem to move with them). Also, Anime Doll was intended to be used for female characters first and foremost, and as such it will be difficult to get a masculine looking face without the use of custom morphs.

Now as for Manga Style, you might have some issue using it with Anime Doll G2F's eyeballs. The eyeballs rely on texture tiling settings to change the size/shape of the iris/cornea. Unfortunately Manga Style doesn't include tiling options for the diffuse and opacity textures, so the iris/cornea will reset to their default size/shape when Manga Style is applied. Obviously you could work around this by creating/using new eye textures. Another possible workaround would be to use the classic prop eyes included with the original Anime Doll Kit (perhaps parenting them to the eyeballs so you can still get the benefit of using 'point at').

Oh, and due to the nature of geografts and how they work, it's highly advised that you don't use full character morphs like Michael 6 when using ANY geografted head (Anime Doll, Nanana, or Kururu), as they'll deform the head and make it look lumpy. Instead, it's best to use the body only morphs (such as "Michael 6 Body") when working with geografted heads (fortunately most popular characters come with this nowadays).

AnimeDoll_G2M_MangaStyle_Test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by TheNathanParable on

Good to know about G2M  :)

There is a male morph for Anime Doll I thought (?)...if you have that, you can load it on the original, convert to triax, save as a support/prop asset....then save the morphs on the head as a preset, and apply them to the AD for G2F head.  (A bunch of steps but I believe it works.  I did this with the expressions.

If its a freebie, we can ask, and if they let us, we can convert for this, and maybe make it a freebie.

Regarding the last, I think this may be resolved by turning off the smoothing modifier on the Anime Doll head.  That is something I meant to put in the Readme.  See if that fixes it for you?  The scaling still may need to be tweaked of course

...and I will work on some eye freebies tonight  :)

• I just tried turning off the smoothing, but there's no difference. It's not an issue with the Anime Doll head, it's just the way that geografts work in Daz Studio. The system is designed to morph the geograft as closely to the underlying mesh as possible, much like how clothing autofits to whatever body morph you use. This works fine when adding details to a body through geografting (horns, genitals, tails, etc), but can have unpredictable results when using geografting to replace body parts.

Fortunately it's an easy enough quirk to work around. The first method, as I said before, is to just limit yourself to morphs that don't change the head too much, such as "Girl 6 Body", "Victoria 6 Body", and "Michael 6 Body". Fortunately most of the more popular characters come with "body only" versions, not to mention that most of the basic body morphs (bodybuilder, height, volumptuous, etc) don't affect the face.

That said, there are a couple of basic body morphs that do effect the face (thin and heavy). In these situations, I believe you can create compatibility morphs that correct any distortion much like you'd do when creating body morphs for clothing, though I haven't really delved into geograft creation so i'm not exactly sure if it works the same way.

Oh, and as for the male morph, are you thinking about the one Khrys did way back in the day? If I remember correctly they had a product on Renderosity with a couple of male Anime Doll morphs, but unfortunately it's no longer there.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 2015

Just testing out the new Anime Doll myself. love her so far. Not much postwork yet i just wanted to see how she looked with teh shaders.

I don't know what i'd do without the visual style shaders they were a life saver lol. (i usually use them as a base before i start working on postwork but still they really help)

lets see if this posts with out looking too pixely

Britny-Britney-.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 642K
    Post edited by DireBunny on
    DireBunny said:

Just testing out the new Anime Doll myself. love her so far. Not much postwork yet i just wanted to see how she looked with teh shaders.

I don't know what i'd do without the visual style shaders they were a life saver lol. (i usually use them as a base before i start working on postwork but still they really help)

lets see if this posts with out looking too pixely

Looks OK to me and a great render.

Very cool, I love cartoon style with shadows!

I added some new Eye color presets (Mats) as a freebie, including a Grey one, so that it may look better with the Manga Shaders (just updated in the last few minutes).  Link in the freebies here, or on my site or on the Product Page, free stuff tab.

I had to link from my stash at deviant art to get a decent view. the small version when enlarged looked all pixelated. i even had to link to facebook because it looked really bad there. these types of renders always seem to do that to me when i try and post anywhere but deviantart. Now when i redraw/recolour them i can post them just fine,weird.

Well i'm very happy to confirm that you CAN use the Anime Doll head on Genesis 2 Male (see render below). When you load the head, you'll get the autofit dialogue. Leave both options as their default ("unsupported" and such), click 'accept', and the head should fit itself onto G2M's neck. Of course it's not intended to be used this way, so you may encounter some issues. For example, I had to reposition the eyeballs manually, as their positioning was made to work with G2F and not G2M (though if you're using the eye customisation morphs you'll probably need to do this anyway, as the eyeballs don't seem to move with them). Also, Anime Doll was intended to be used for female characters first and foremost, and as such it will be difficult to get a masculine looking face without the use of custom morphs.

Now as for Manga Style, you might have some issue using it with Anime Doll G2F's eyeballs. The eyeballs rely on texture tiling settings to change the size/shape of the iris/cornea. Unfortunately Manga Style doesn't include tiling options for the diffuse and opacity textures, so the iris/cornea will reset to their default size/shape when Manga Style is applied. Obviously you could work around this by creating/using new eye textures. Another possible workaround would be to use the classic prop eyes included with the original Anime Doll Kit (perhaps parenting them to the eyeballs so you can still get the benefit of using 'point at').

Oh, and due to the nature of geografts and how they work, it's highly advised that you don't use full character morphs like Michael 6 when using ANY geografted head (Anime Doll, Nanana, or Kururu), as they'll deform the head and make it look lumpy. Instead, it's best to use the body only morphs (such as "Michael 6 Body") when working with geografted heads (fortunately most popular characters come with this nowadays).

By popular request, male morphs are now available!  :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67095/male-morphs-and-g2m-tutorial-anime-doll-for-g2f/p1

• Here is my first real attempt (that I am somewhat happy with) using the visual style shaders.

Anime Test.jpg
    1031 x 857 - 598K

Two questions!  :)

1. Whats the best method to make a VSS shader have more saturation or be a little "richer", "darker"?  I am not good at tweaking shaders :(

2. Has anyone found a good setting for Toony Cam that works will with VSS?  For example, the below pic was VSS shaders on the character, and Toony Cam Basic on the background...but the background is just too "chunky" or low res looking.  Wondering if anyone had some good settings they use, they care to share?

• I'm not sure about Toonycam, but as for making the shaders richer you could try fiddling around with the colours in the shader. You could also try adjusting the contrast in an image editing tool of your choice.

edited December 2015
    3dOutlaw said:
    Has anyone found a good setting for Toony Cam that works will with VSS?  For example, the below pic was VSS shaders on the character, and Toony Cam Basic on the background...but the background is just too "chunky" or low res looking.  Wondering if anyone had some good settings they use, they care to share?

Try a shading rate of .050 or lower.

Post edited by nDelphi on

I finally got around to trying the Manga Presets.  Definitely a steeper learning curve than the visual style shaders!  cheeky

They look really cool!  Nice work!

VSS in fastgrab, get 'em while they're hot!  :)

edited January 2016

Nope still there, was just hidden cause I own them!

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited January 2016

Maya also released a MayaBoy and AnimeBoy (the latter requires the AnimeDoll Kit) as freebies on his site.  I picked up the ADKit direct last autumn for 500 yen-- the exchange rate was surprising, as it came in US currency to about $4.99.

The Maya males are at http://studiomaya3d.com/adbjd.html

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on