MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic - Update Sept 23rd 2017: Fixed Dropbox links! [Commercial]

Comments

• Well, I'm jealous, you guys. laugh

You're all doing such beautiful renders, both with Manga Style Shaders and Visual Style Shaders.  I bought both shader packs a few weeks back, but since I'm a DAZ Studio newb, I haven't figured out how to create any renders with them.  I'd love to know how TheNathanParable achieved his results, like promo pics 4 and 8 of MGS, or the shirtless guy promo pic of VSS.

The Geometric Shell has me stumped, too. When I "apply" it (obviously I'm doing it all wrong) all I get is a black blob instead of a rendered figure.  Perfect if you're doing a Bob The Blob comic. Otherwise...

• Are you using the correct renderer? These shaders will only work if the renderer is set to "3Delight", and not "Nvidia Iray".

As for the geoshell outline, you need to first create a geometry shell for the object you want to outline, and then apply the shader to that geometry shell.

There are some step-by-step guides you can download from the first post in this topic. They were written a while ago (before Iray was added to Daz Studio), but they should still be relevent.

• edited April 2016

So I'm trying to use visual style shaders on Keiko 6 on her skin. If I apply a preset skin shader, like Peach, I lose the color of details such as eyelases, nipples (which gain the same color as her skin) and so forth while definitely getting the effect. Is there any way to either maintain these details or make them display in the same style as the rest of the shader? I tried applying textures to all these areas after applying visual skin - texture, but then I almost entirely lost the shader effect.  

Post edited by palmer_aif_1b587f57f9 on
  • If you own either Hitomi, Hiro 5, or AoA's Subsurface Toon shaders, you could try using the cartoon eyebrows included with those. You might be able to use auto-fit to get them working on Keiko 6.

• Are you using the correct renderer? These shaders will only work if the renderer is set to "3Delight", and not "Nvidia Iray".

As for the geoshell outline, you need to first create a geometry shell for the object you want to outline, and then apply the shader to that geometry shell.

There are some step-by-step guides you can download from the first post in this topic. They were written a while ago (before Iray was added to Daz Studio), but they should still be relevent.

Ah, thank you!  I didn't see those step-by-step guides before.  It'll take me a while to get the hang of this, but at least both Shaders programs are working for me now.

• My character looks like it's covered in butter

Guess I should read more

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited July 2016

My character looks like it's covered in butter

Guess I should read more

If you're having issues, a picture of the problem would help. :) I don't really know what you mean by "looks like it's covered in butter".

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Yep, still using these!  :)  I need an add-on pack with more shades/colors!!!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    3dOutlaw said:

Cute puppy eyes - she is asking for more shades too?

Well, I just picked up PWToon, to use my coupon, so we will see if that sates our needs for more shaders  ;-)

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,321
    edited August 2016

Was able to get these yesterday, and I really like them. Thank you, BishounenTaurus! Here's the result of my first chance playing with them today.

That looks great.  And it does actually resemble the manga look I tend to like.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    3dOutlaw said:

Ah, she's adorably cute!  Amazing eyes!

@TheNathanParable, (or anyone else) Is there a way to apply these and keep some of the texture?  For example, if I have a colored polka-dot white shirt, it would be cool to apply these, to get the same look, but also blend in the polka-dot texture.  Whenever I do it, it gets like a white glare across the texture (though I am just CTRL-Clicking and ignoring the texture) 

• 3dOutlaw said:

@TheNathanParable, (or anyone else) Is there a way to apply these and keep some of the texture?  For example, if I have a colored polka-dot white shirt, it would be cool to apply these, to get the same look, but also blend in the polka-dot texture.  Whenever I do it, it gets like a white glare across the texture (though I am just CTRL-Clicking and ignoring the texture) 

Could you show me what you mean by a "white glare across the texture"? Also, which shader is this? Because Visual Style was created in an older version of Daz Studio, back when the CTRL-Clicking method didn't work with shaders produced using Shader Mixer, and as such you'll have to manually reapply the textures. Manga Style was created after that had been fixed, so it doesn't suffer from this problem (or, at least, it shouldn't).

I'll have to render one tonight.  Yes, the VSS shader, if you do the CTRL-click it takes the diffuse texture and puts it in the Light Diffuse channel...and sets everything else up like it normally does.

• 3dOutlaw said:

I'll have to render one tonight.  Yes, the VSS shader, if you do the CTRL-click it takes the diffuse texture and puts it in the Light Diffuse channel...and sets everything else up like it normally does.

Yeah, you'll need to manually reapply the texture to the Dark Diffuse, Ambient Occlusion, Outline, and maybe the Specular colour channels too. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    3dOutlaw said:

Yeah, you'll need to manually reapply the texture to the Dark Diffuse, Ambient Occlusion, Outline, and maybe the Specular colour channels too. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

Oh man, this is where I wish I could get my head around scripting, I'm sure there'd be a way to automate that nowadays, would be incredibly useful as I use VSS a LOT!!

I found that adding the texture to all those channels didn't change the look of the material, really at all.  I guess the texture when applied, affects the look the most.  Bumping the ambient without applying VSS does seem to give it a toonier look though.  I'll just stick with that.

So I came up with a "process" for clothes instead...I used a Simplify (pastel or buzsim) filter on the clothes texture, saved it, and then applied that new texture to the clothing in Daz.  It give it more of the toon look that better matches VSS imo.  This is a no-light, no postwork render out of DS...very fast.  (click for bigger)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited September 2016

wow... brilliant result, and nicely composed/presented!

is the 'simplify' step a photoshop filter on the stock clothes texture, or a shader function, or?

(eta: and I assume the Simplified clothes do not have the vss shaders applied, right?)

nicely done,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • That looks amazing. :D

Yea, Simplify is a Topaz Labs filter for Photoshop or other software (google topaz labs simplify and you'll find it).  I am using it in Paint Shop Pro x8.  Over in the NPR thread I saw it used, and really liked the results.  ...and yes, since I had that new texture, I did not use VSS on the clothes.  They are just default render with the new texture.  (If your interested in the filter, PM me and I can shoot you a coupon for like 1/2 off...no need to pay full price these days!  wink )

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    3dOutlaw said:

Yea, Simplify is a Topaz Labs filter for Photoshop or other software (google topaz labs simplify and you'll find it).  I am using it in Paint Shop Pro x8.  Over in the NPR thread I saw it used, and really liked the results.  ...and yes, since I had that new texture, I did not use VSS on the clothes.  They are just default render with the new texture.  (If your interested in the filter, PM me and I can shoot you a coupon for like 1/2 off...no need to pay full price these days!  wink )

NPR thread?

Also, half price off Topaz coupon? That's... wow. I'd PM you but I'm not sure if Topaz would match my existing workflow.

In the art studio forum, there is a Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR) thread.  PM me if you are interested.  It is an invite type of thing, so I get some credit, and you get the discount as well.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

So - instead of post-work, do we call that 'pre-work', when you photo-shop (or paint-shop) *before* the render? heh...

Thanks for the reply - I see the 'Simplify' details in the other thread, which is another favorite thread that I'd lost track of!

I like the results and find it intersting that the VSS and non-VSS mix that nicely.

cheers,

--ms

• 3dOutlaw said:

I never thought about combining them!!! !!!!!

Lovin the Visual Style Shaders again recently!  :)  I can go for some more colors, how 'bout an expansion pack  ;-)

Picked up the Manga Shaders during the sale, need to give them a go.  I like the idea of combining them.

Swim

My latest VSS render...  :)

(click image for original)

Rem

• Thank you, @TheNathanParable for some great shaders. The step-by-step guides really helped round out the users guide. (In case nobody's suggested it, I would totally pay for an updated, even easier to use set of shaders!)

Thank you to all the commenters over the years, especially @3doutlaw, for already running into most of my issues and leaving these breadcrumbs for me to follow. I'm going to have to stop being lazy and save myself some custom presets, because I keep forgetting to tweak the "Occlusion - Max Distance" to 0.01 after I drop shaders on surfaces. . .

cool

I'm trying to get as close as I can with no postwork. But I've got some questions about the noir presets, if anyone's still paying attention to this thread:

1. I think the artifacts around her lips will have to be brushed out in post, unless y'all have a suggestion. Ideas?
    2. The pistol has "Black & Shiny" shader applied and max distance of 0.01, but I can't figure out why it's rendering white. Thoughts?
    3. I'm far from a shader guru, so can anyone point me at the starting point to make a "Black & NOT Shiny" version of this shader as alternative to lots of touchup in post?
    4. Before I buy them, can anyone confirm that they've gotten the Hitomi/Hiro eybrows to work with G2 or G3 figures? I really don't relish painting lots of eyebrows, but I can't have characters that look perpetually surprised, either.

I just loaded and autofit Hitomi eyebrows to G2F, and tried hair, headwear and full body, but I cant get it to follow the brow pose controls

I tried the AoA Anime Eyebrows that come in the Subsurface Toon Shaders do "fit" to g2f, and have their own pose controls...they dont fit smack up against, but close and they may work for you.