Daz Studio and Linux

1…6162636567

Comments

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,765

    Any further discussion of what should be discussed in this thread will be removed. Anyone feeling a post is going significantly or disruptively off-topic should report it to the mods by clicking the Flag link.

    .

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277
    edited May 15
    Post edited by bluejaunte on
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398
    edited May 16

    Substance Painter hasn't worked for a while, even under Steam. Lots of fairly angry posts on the forums. I can get it to start but the UI is borked (technical term) and it crashes in fairly short order.  Nothing from Adobe runs well (and mostly they just... don't run at all) under any version of Linux I've ever tried. Finer minds than mine have tried to solve this but with no concrete results. If you want to use Adobe products or MS Office (you'd have to be pretty determined or dependent on some VBS to want to use Office in Linux!) then it's dual-boot time as I suggested many posts ago. There really is no negotiation on this.

    Editing the wine prefix registry in Lutris is very straightforward, assuming you know the key you need to add/change. No idea how it's done through Steam I'm afraid as I'm still not convinced that is the best way to launch Studio or anything that isn't a game. Lutris gives you access to winetricks, the console, the config and the control panel to name but a few. Steam, as far as I'm aware, does not.

    Anyway, with Lutris open single click the installed application you need to edit the registry for. Don't launch it, obviously. At the bottom of your window you will see an icon of a wine glass and a selection arrow next to it - click that and select the Wine registry, or whatever you need and, hey presto, the ability to nuke your wine prefix will appear.  Edit away, with some caution,  using whatever WIndows solution you found using your search. You can actually edit this  natively from the console using the wine regedit command but I suggest you don't - the Windows interface is much easier :)

    Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    Try navigate to this folder, see if it exists:

    ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/4329260/pfx

    That is, if the actual URL to the Substance Painter you use is this. You can see the AppID in there. 

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/4329260/Substance_3D_Painter_2026/

    If the path doesn't exist, do a search for any of those strings in your file explorer (steamapps, compatdata, 4329260 and surely you will find it). Then this should work changing registry entry:

    env WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/4329260/pfx wine regedit   

     

     

  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398

    You've specified a relative path there, not an absolute path. This is one of those fundamentals I mentioned earlier that you'll need to get to grips with :)

    Try env WINEPREFIX=/home/$USER/.local/  and then the rest of the path. Just out of interest, if you type echo $WINEPREFIX into the console, what result (if any) do you get?

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    That appid belongs to Substance Painter 2025 so that's good. Try clicking on the file path there in your file explorer to get the absolute path. Probably /home/username/.local etc. and try with that instead.

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277
    edited May 17

    Oh it might be that you need to put the path in quotes. Not sure, here's some more you can try:

    https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1736589519989298578/

    Just tried it with some random appid I found on my system and it worked with this command.

    ❯ env WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/3303728678/pfx/ wine regedit

     

    Post edited by bluejaunte on
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    Great. The tilde is a shorthand for the current user's home directory. Definitely worth learning. So essentially what you tried before was not an absolute path after all. It was more like double home relative path so under the hood that would've looked something like
     

    /home/username/home/username/.local/share ...

    or something.

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    Substance Painter is complaining about the paging file? You need to remember that to Substance Painter you are on Windows. Wine simulates Windows, and indeed in your Wine prefix you can find all the Windows folders. So if it complains about a paging file you need to solve this in your Wine environment, not Linux.

    Maybe this: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/c9g08z/steam_running_a_game_via_proton_page_file_too/

    Same regedit procedure as before.

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    Well, from this:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Substance3D/comments/1qkxczj/does_substance_painter_run_on_linux/

    It could actually run natively? Clearly you've been running it through Proton/Wine though.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Substance3D/comments/1kfelz7/help_cant_get_substance_painter_to_work_on_linux/

    This mentions setting compatibility mode to "Legacy Runtime 1.0" to make it run natively. In Steam right click on Substance Painter entry, there's a compatibility tab where you can force various versions of Proton. This Legacy thing should be in there too and presumably means "not Wine, not Proton, run natively". Worth a try I guess.

    Wonder where that would install the native Linux files, which are very different. No .exe of course and all that.

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277
    edited May 17

    Steam Linux Runtime 4.0 is not native. That's the whole Proton/Wine layer. You need to select "Legacy Runtime 1.0" to get the native Linux version.
     

    I just assumed it must be running natively on Linux.  Also bear in mind that I'm not having crashes.

    I think we can safely assume you were NOT running a native Linux version. Why do you think a Windows regedit change got rid of an error message in Substance Painter? wink

    Post edited by bluejaunte on
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    Might need a restart, not sure editing a page file in the registry would instantly work in Windows either. Try restarting Linux or maybe this works

    wineboot --restart

     

  • DareshiranuDareshiranu Posts: 337

    I have to say that I've been quite eager to try out Linux once more after a years long hiatus, wanting to use Daz within. But I recently tried converting an arcade PC over to Batocera from Windows and oddly experienced some regret. After some exploration, I discovered that there are things like Windows Atlas OS and its ilk, but then I found that there is something ever more remarkable - a version of Windows 11 that is largely but not completely without the bloat and telemetry that's included with the Home/Pro versions that you can have without using something to strip out everything that's unnecessary. It's Windows 11 Education, and I put it on my arcade machine. Incredibly, it does come with copilot but by default it's turned off. There isn't much bloat at all and I'm given to understand that there is still a bit that can be stripped out should I wish, and group policies are relatively easily managed to control things. So for now I think I'm still going to shelve my sojurn into Linux, even though I was going to test it out first on my arcade machine with Batocera, then my Virtual Pinball with Ubuntu and go from there on my other rigs. Now I'm just going to go with this new thing I've discovered and can be more comfortable and compatible with. I still hope to one day see more support for Linux from Daz... or any really. But this is a quite good thread, I just wanted to mention what I'd discovered so recently, not disuade anyone from going the Linux route. 

  • DareshiranuDareshiranu Posts: 337

    3DIO said:

    @Dareshiranu
    You gave me an idea.  I'm back on my Windows 10 install for the first time in what feels like two months now.  Since I witnesed first-hand what Windows 10 was doing without my permission, I've found some information that will hopefully prevent it happening again.  I implemented the measures just now, and will find out soon whether they work or not.

    So I'm back on Windows 10, and I've read many times that Windows 10 can be made good, but I do believe you are completely wasting your time with Windows 11 since I read it is literally designed to be a datamining OS for Microsoft's AI, and has been butchered in such a way to make it impossible to remove such "features".

     

    Nah, there are some excellent resources for stripping out 11 if you know where to look. But I'm lazy, which is why I was so taken with the idea of the Education version, which has so much stripped away already but can have more removed easily enough. It's so far looking to be quite lighter and far less intrusive than my main rig's 11 Pro that I plan on converting soon enough. 

  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,703
    edited May 19

    Beware W11 has a tendency to put everything back as it updates ignoring your settings regarding when and what updates take place

    The only way to stop it is no Wifi or ethnet capability not just turned off in the bios as W11 has been changeing settings in the bios

    Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398

    Bit of a reality check. CachyOS and Arch in general just pushed out a fairly major update to WINE and the Nvidia drivers over the last 48 hours which completely nuked my Daz Studio setup. You can rollback your installation but eventually you're going to have to bite the bullet and update everything so I just reinstalled everything Daz-related. If you've backed up your layouts, plugins and anything else pertinent to how you use Studio then it's no big deal. 15 minutes later it was all back up and running but if you're brand new to Linux, this may not be the distro you're looking for. I mention this because Cachy has dominated the discussion over the last few pages and I do not think it is the best starting point for new Linux users; on a day-to-day basis it's as usable as Windows and you'll get away with not really understanding how it's screwed together. Until you don't get away with it and are facing a complete OS reinstall because you lack the experience and knowledge to fix it. Arch Linux distros update daily which means you always get the latest and greatest but you also have to accept that this will break things occasionally. And because these installations are unique I can almost guarantee this didn't happen to someone else with almost the same setup. Shrug.

    If you want stability and peace of mind, look to Debian and Fedora-based distros like Ubuntu (and derivatives), Pop, Nobara and Linux Mint which are updated as complete releases. All of these and many more will happily run Daz Studio, both 4.x and 6.x although, as I've mentioned before, you will lose the Nvidia Optix denoiser if you use Debian distros. I haven't been able to find a fix for that but one may exist.

    Dual boot if you need the Adobe Suite or cannot use a substitute for MS Office. Everything else pretty much just works. 

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    What got nuked exactly? I'm on latest updates and not noticing any issues in Daz Studio.

  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398

    What stopped functioning was the WINE prefixes managed by Lutris. Studio, K-Cycles, and three other misc. Windows applications. It was related to  (sandboxed) environment wine variables all of which ceased to exist after the update and I couldn't trace the problem - it's firewalled and they all croaked. The point really was not that x or y stopped working because these issues will vary depending on our own individual setups, but that Arch Linux might not be the best choice for people dipping their toes into Linux. At some point in the future I can guarantee you'll have a problem with an update and I won't.

  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    Right, agree to a point. Though my solution to that, which I think I pointed out some pages ago, is to have a daily backup solution you can fall back to if things explode. In your case I don't really know if down the line these issues would've gotten fixed by more updates but generally this seems to be the case. If something doesn't work, restore a backup, wait a few days/weeks and update again. Would this issue not have happened on Fedora you think?

    Also there's no need to update every day either. I guess that's also important to point out? Just because it's Arch based you don't have to update.

  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398

    @bluejaunte

    I tend to update at start-up and shutdown. The fewer the packages that are installed if an issue arises, the smaller the search area. I don't think there's any right or wrong way to do this, just whatever suits your workflow. I do agree the issue may have been fixed if I'd left it for a few days or so but there's no guarantee. With proper backups and a good working knowledge of your OS, it's not really an issue. I don't do image backups because you end up reliant on your specific issue having been sorted at some indeterminate point in the future when you inevitably have to update. I just backup key directories and accept that if the OS is broken beyond my ability to repair it then I'm doing a full reinstall which will take longer than restoring an image. Again, no right or wrong way here I think, just whatever suits.

    I think this would have been far less likely to happen on Fedora. I've expanded on this further below.

    @3DIO

    There is nothing to be 'suspicious' about re. CachyOS. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Running Arch as your only OS is for really very knowledgeable people only and I don't include myself in that category. I know enough, but I'm no guru. Both myself and bluejaunte have Windows as our ultimate fallback if it all goes really pear-shaped.

    If you want to run a Linux OS as your only OS you need to look at something which has proper professional, rather than community, backing. CachyOS is not that. One that is: Red Hat Enterprise Linux is used by militaries and contractors worldwide, by the National Health Service in the UK, by a load of blue-chip corpos. It's more stable and bug-free than any Windows distro. If you see the words 'stable' and 'Linux' in the same sentence though, you can mentally substitute the word 'old'. RHEL is the Z80 of operating systems. It's been around forever, it's thoroughly understood, has proper professional support, requires a subscription and you won't be playing games on it or running Studio. (You can get a free version if you sign up as a developer but, really, don't!)

    Downstream from that is Fedora - same code, newer packages with rigorous testing. It's not as straightofrward to install and setup as something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu (both recommended for new folks), but it is more reliable.

    That's what I would recommend to you and most people. Debian is fine but it's another community effort. There is a minimalist install of Fedora (although your definition of 'bloat' is peculiar to you - most of us would describe it as software we don't want which impacts system performance *which we can't uninstall*. Windows Edge. Windows telemetry. That's bloat. Not a software package you can remove in a few seconds and doesn't magically reinstall itself after an update) but I suspect you will do your own thing as usual :)

    Also, once again, the ROCm stack will not provide dForce in Studio with your GPU. You'll need elements of it for Studio to see the card but beyond that, no. Re-read the conversations!

  • Good afternoon.  I installed Daz Studio 4.24 from Daz Install Manager and had it running well on Fedora 43 through WINE for several months.  I have an older NVIDIA 1070 but I was able to get GPU rendering and DForce to work.  I saw that Daz Studio 6 was available in Daz Install Manager and installed it the same way I did 4.24.  When I select the Studio 6 icon from the Apps list, nothing happens.  Has anyone tried to and been successful installing Studio 6 on Linux.  Thank you for your feedback.

  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398
    edited June 18

    This one keeps cropping up, so I'll just cut and paste part of my previous post. If you dual boot with Windows, you can copy the required file from your existing Windows installation rather than downloading one. It says 'Alpha' but it'll work for the Beta and the general release.

    I've just got Studio Alpha to run in CachyOS and I expect you should be able to do the same in Tuxedo and many others with little difficulty. If you can get Daz Studio 4 running, you can get the Alpha running. You'll have to install DIM via Lutris if you haven't already and the process is identical. On startup it fails miserably and the logs are a lengthy and somewhat disappointing list of failures of various DLLs to load which initially confused me because they are all present. It's just one Windows System DLL that's missing and that sets off a cascading failure: icuuc.dll 

    Grab it from here - https://www.dll-files.com/icuuc.dll.html - it's the very last one, the larger of the two 64-bit libraries. Drop it into /windows/syswow64 or the same directory the Alpha dazstudio.exe is in in your wine prefix (it shouldn't matter) and it will fire up and create the usual set of files on its first run. Symlink the Nvidia DLLs, symlink your libraries again and it should work just as well as 4.24.x.

    The viewport performance is possibly worse than in Windows but the rendering times on my benchmark scene were about 10% faster. However, because they are so quick with multiple GPUs I'd say that's within a margin of error - it may not actually be quicker but the logs say it is. It's more than usable as a platform to launch your scene for rendering (or to kick it across to a local Iray server) but it would be a miserable experience to try and actually build a big scene or use strand/curves hair. 

    Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • I ran into the same issue and got Daz Studio 6 Public Build working under Linux Mint with Bottles/Wine.

    The important part is that this is not primarily a Vulkan problem. In my case Studio 6 failed before the UI could start because its Qt6 runtime chain was incomplete or not being found correctly.

    The first visible symptom was a long list of errors such as:

    Qt6Core.dll not foundicuuc.dll not foundQt6Gui.dll not founddzcore.dll not found

    Those are mostly cascading errors. Qt6Core.dll itself may be present, but it cannot load if its ICU dependencies are missing.

    For a 64-bit Studio 6 installation, I would not use SysWOW64. The safest place is directly beside DAZStudio.exe in the Studio 6 program folder, for example:

    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio6 Public Build\

    In my case the following compatible 64-bit ICU files had to be present together, from the same legitimate Windows/DAZ source:

    icu.dllicuuc.dllicuin.dllicudt53.dll

    Do not mix random ICU versions from unrelated downloads. They need to match each other.

    After that, I still had a second startup blocker:

    msvcp140_2.dll.__std_smf_hypot3f

    The fix was to install the current Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 x64 Redistributable in the Wine prefix and make Wine prefer the native VC++ DLLs for the Studio 6 launch:

    msvcp140msvcp140_1msvcp140_2vcruntime140vcruntime140_1concrt140

    with the override order set to:

    native, builtin

    The final detail was starting Studio 6 from its own program directory, rather than relying only on a generic desktop shortcut. A launcher/wrapper that sets the correct Wine prefix, changes into the Studio 6 directory, applies the VC++ overrides, and then starts DAZStudio.exe solved it for me.

    My working setup now has all three applications in the same Bottle/prefix:

    • Daz Studio 4.24

    • Daz Studio 6 Public Build

    • Daz Install Manager

    However, I use a separate launcher for Studio 6 because it has the Qt6/ICU requirements. Studio 4 should not inherit the Studio-6-specific Qt/ICU path settings.

    So, for the original Fedora/Wine issue, I would suggest this order:

    1. Start Studio 6 from a terminal and inspect the first DLL errors.

    2. Check whether icuuc.dll is missing.

    3. Place a matching 64-bit ICU set next to DAZStudio.exe, not in SysWOW64.

    4. Install the current VC++ 2015-2022 x64 redistributable in the prefix.

    5. Prefer native VC++ DLLs for the Studio 6 launch.

    6. Launch Studio 6 with its program folder as the working directory.

    That brought Studio 6 up normally for me, including the full Qt6 interface and normal scene loading.

  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398

    Which is why I still recommend Lutris for people new to Linux as it avoids all the complications you had to work around. There are many ways to work around these issues but, from this thread's history, most people are using Linux for the first time and just want Daz software to work with the minimum amount of hassle. You can use Bottles, you can use Steam, you can just launch the executable and let system WINE take over - these methods all require further interventions that range from fairly straightforward to reasonably complex.

    Or you can install Lutris, install the Daz software, copy one .dll and be done with it. No deep-dives required.

    It is good to see a Bottles solution though. That package basically fought me every step of the way with Daz and other software so I have never felt the urge to revisit it.

  • Anyone know how to get Dforce working on Linux? I think Svesop's nvlibs files are outdated or something. I tried this on cachy and bazzite and had the same result. "No opencl device found" Under the advanced tab. In both distros I am using driver version 610 or something like that. Iray works perfectly though. I can render with my gpu just no Dforce.
  • Forgot to mention, I'm using a 4080s, Daz studio6, and Lutris with the cachy runner.
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,332

    mordeomortem said:

    Forgot to mention, I'm using a 4080s, Daz studio6, and Lutris with the cachy runner.

    I was able to get it to work under Mint and Lutris previously. It was a driver issue. I'll have to check that it still works.

  • mordeomortem said:

    Forgot to mention, I'm using a 4080s, Daz studio6, and Lutris with the cachy runner.

    I was able to get it to work under Mint and Lutris previously. It was a driver issue. I'll have to check that it still works.

    I found out driver 610 is bleeding edge or the experimental driver. I think the nvlibs only works on the whql driver which I think was 590 or 595. I switched to bazzite thinking it was using the normal drivers. I'm going to try and roll back to the non experimental driver tonight. Hopefully that will fix it but if not I will probably just go back to windows until there is an update.
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 2,277

    Read back in this thread a little. There's plenty of dForce discussions.

  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 398
    edited June 25

    @mordeomortem

    The latest updates to the proton-cachyos runner are the problem. Switch your runner to System (should be 11.something) and you should find it magically springs to life. It works fine with the 610 drivers at my end.

    Screenshot_20260625_044125.png
    1348 x 1121 - 209K
    Post edited by TimberWolf on
Sign In or Register to comment.