formerly male content creation thread

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

No...didn't realise I needed to. Just started to look at it tonight. I only have the base model does it have a hd mouth? Ahhh...learn something new everyday. Maybe that's why I was getting problems.

I'll have another look. 

Thanks Sickle : )

Yep...that was it. Trying again now...render is cooking I'll post once I finished. Thought I'd make some basic morphs for myself as I can't afford much at the moment.
    edited November 2015

Pen, set up the Genesis 3 Male without the HD mouth and navel and save as a preset duf.  You want to make sure you also add your morph with MLP with this zeroed out duf.  Export and import should match.

Thanks for the great suggestion!  I just loaded it back into the mesh that I had dialled it out of. Hope that makes sense...bit brain dead as I've been writing reports and other stuff all week. I added up the word count in word and it was over 21000 words for all the students in the grade. Basically a mini- thesis every 6 months.

Anyway here is my first working morph just a basic ear out morph 

Edited to add another image...simple individual morphs that can be mixed or dialled in at different percentages.

So far: small elf ears, ears out, chin wider, broader jaw and a nose shape.

Gen 3 Male ear out copy.jpg
    2000 x 1800 - 1M
    small elf ears 1 chin wider morphs copy.jpg
    2000 x 1800 - 1M
    Post edited by Pendraia on

Some additional images...full head shapes. Just quick playing to see what the new mesh can do. 

plHeadShape1.jpg
    2000 x 1800 - 736K
    plHeadShape2.jpg
    2000 x 1800 - 849K
    edited November 2015

Obviously too tired double posted...so I'm off to bed.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060

Is Morph Loader Pro included in DS 4.8 Pro?  I searched and it is listed as a paid item, I haven't opened 4.8 yet.  Been too busy with other things.

Dana

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited November 2015

Good progress, Pen. :)

Yes, MLP is included with the Pro version.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I don't think so, short of straight up rigging it with bones in Blender.

If FBX or Collada import every work right that would be a viable option...but...

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060

Good progress, Pen. :)

Yes, MLP is included with the Pro version.

Thank you!

Dana

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    diomede said:

This is great.  Thank you for the loin cloth example.  That same idea might help with a cloak or cape or mantle.  Also, I hope people take a close look at your 5th pic which discusses the minimum number of lines required to hold shape when smoothing is applied.  Important consideration.

No problem. Yes, I highly recommend making a few "sample" meshes and testing things out in D/S before spending a long time making that "perfect" outfit only to find that "yes" one has to go back to the beginning to add those lines in and redo all that work! For testing mesh pieces, that includes "making clothing" out them and applying the "fit to" ... that's usually where the mesh will totally ball up or something if those lines are not there.

Also, if one wants to morph anything, one needs "mesh" to morph. Not much can be done with a "solid" sheet of metal [think one plane no lines] as opposed to fine linen [think very many lines on that plane].

Did you make sure the HD mouth and navel morphs were off before export?  They are dialed in on load.

If one forgets one can also 'reverse deformations' which did work well on my first morph tests using Hexagon and Sculptris. For those new at Hexagon, in D/S make sure the preference for the Hexagon bridge is "advanced" in order to get this option.

Great tutorial.  I learned a few things I hadn't figured out yet.  I've heard rumors about there being a thread on either this forum or some other old forum specifically about modeling clothing, but it has since been lost in the black hole of cyber space through forum changes.  I think having this tutorial, and all of the links we have found, on the current forums is a really good idea.  I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a thread like this just for the purpose of modeling all clothes for us newbies who weren't around in the early DAZ days.  You have a lot of useful information in there.  Thanks for doodling. laugh

Yes there was and long lost in the dark hole of wherever old threads get lost into ;-) A little outdated now too as 4.0 was just coming out when I started that one. It was tucked in Nuts 'n Bolts which few ventured into.

This thread in the Commons is doing a lot better so far and it's nice to see so many interested and contributing ideas :-)

There was one modeling tip I illustrated which seemed to trigger a flurry of new types of skirts which was nice. Everything doesn't have to be from a solid circle. So I will show that here too.For a full skirt one would make the full circle of course, for this I just made the one section thinking more of a loin cloth type item.

This was really helpful.  Thanks for posting it.  I was wondering how to make pleats as my Great Kilt will need pleats for at least one of the morphs.  I love the step by step pictures.  I'm a very visual learner so this will be really useful.  I had heard of this thread in Nuts and Bolts and some of the tutorials that were on there.  I didn't make the connection that you had started it.  It is nice to know that diomede started us off with this after all of the discussion in the original thread, It's Not Raining Men started by gerterasmus.  With all of my research try to figure out how to make clothing for my own use because I wanted several outfits that were nothing like anything in any of the stores, I was disappointed that the old threads were gone and I was having to start almost from scratch.  I was frustrated that there wasn't still a thread about this topic and that a lot of the links to the old tutorials always came back broken because the links no longer worked.  However, after many months of doing all of this research and trying to figure it out on my own, I never once started a thread for this purpose because I'm usually one of those people who likes to lurk in the background watching everyone else.  I'm very greatful to diomede and gerterasmus for starting both threads.  I think the timing couldn't have been better.  I think it is safe to say that we might manage to keep this thread going for awhile given the response.  I hope so anyway.

You're welcome.

Yes I occasional pull my tutorials for one reason or another ... things get out-dated so fast these days. And each time I remake one, I like to think that maybe it's being done better ;-) I'm learning too.

For all, keep in mind with 'any' tutorial, "how to" is "not necessarily written in stone". As you "learn by doing", find which ways work for you and feel free to pitch ideas back into the pot ;-)

One "method" of expectations for any models' behaviours has been changed with Iray ... and that is the use of transmaps for special effects such as for lace or eyelashes, etc.  ;-) 

I was doodling with Hexagon, trying to make eyelashes to work with the figure is a bit of a challenge. So far, they won't move with the eyelid.

And the "golden rule" is NO "boolean".

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

I can't stop seeing My Little Pony every time someone says MLP.

Is there a reason to use MLP over MLA? Why do they both exist?

• MLA?

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096
    edited November 2015

MLA?

Morph Loader Advanced.

As far as morphs, I have a bunch done for G3F, and the first of the G3M critters is out of the modeler and in initial test renderings.

JoyAleksPoolPlay1.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 851K
    Post edited by DarkSpartan on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 2015

I haven't updated in a while because I have gotten sidetracked by other projects.  Also, the release of genesis 3 male had me considering starting over for the new figure.  However, both the G3F and G3M remain incompatible with my most preferred program (word is there may be action on this - hooray!).  I'll finish the existing project for the G2M.  I will do some editing of my G2M outfit and post some updates and screenshots - probably after Xmas. 

In the meantime, here is a custom character I have been working on.  If you remember the old claymation holiday specials, you might see what inspired this low polygon toon figure.  He is intended to be a grumpy old man chasing little kids off of his lawn.  If you are thinking to yourself, that old man isn't realistic - then you are seeing clearly!

ff03 render.jpg
    650 x 867 - 23K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • I like his face!  I've been busy as well.  I have started on an outfit in Hexagon, though, so I might be able to post what I've got by the end of the weekend.  I think it is coming along nicely. I've tabled my great kilt plans for the moment because I, actually, needed a nightshirt for a render I want to do and couldn't find one so I figured it was a good chance to give it a try.  So, I'm working on a nightshirt similar to what men in the late 1800's would have worn.  It is fairly simple and I was able to find a lot of good reference photos thanks to Google.  I, also, need a pair of old fashioned long johns (the red kind with the flap in the back) so they are next.

edited December 2015

Figured I'd update since I got distracted too. I decided I enjoyed creating concept art a whole lot more than I like fiddling with rigging and morphs, so I started a new outfit. It's not really intended for males, but if Michael wants to be fabulous...

All manually modelled in Blender, except for the skirt which was my first attempt at using Blender's cloth simulation. Rendered in Studio.

Next I decided to do a male thing (relevant again, yay) and this is what I'd managed after many hours Blendering:

Wasn't really happy with it at all and the cloth simulator was making me mad, so I decided to do a trial of Marvelous Designer. After about an hour starting with having zero idea how to use the program, I came up with this:

Obviously it's far from perfect, but to make a properly simulated, physical material accurate, perfectly uv mapped result with no pre modelling knowledge I'm astounded by how much you can do so quickly.

Quick Iray version. Apart from the obvious mesh issues, the only problems I have now are figuring out how to scale up / make the clothing more detailed in MD, and if there's a way I can edit small parts of the mesh without having to manually redo the UVs, because I hate UVs and this does it all for me. Needless to say I'm now completely smitten and am diverting all spare funds towards saving for a licence for the full version.

lx-magical-101-01.png
    1533 x 1800 - 2M
    1614-jacket2.PNG
    478 x 757 - 210K
    005-vest-man-details.JPG
    1255 x 773 - 70K
    test-DanceM-MD-PS2.jpg
    800 x 900 - 62K
    Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798

How the hell am I just NOW finding this thread!?

• lx said:

Quick Iray version. Apart from the obvious mesh issues, the only problems I have now are figuring out how to scale up / make the clothing more detailed in MD, and if there's a way I can edit small parts of the mesh without having to manually redo the UVs, because I hate UVs and this does it all for me. Needless to say I'm now completely smitten and am diverting all spare funds towards saving for a licence for the full version.

Change the particle distance in Marvellous Designer to make the mesh denser, also if you're using MD5 you can quadranqulate before exporting the .obj.  

• How the hell am I just NOW finding this thread!?

No, idea.  Although, the group has been quiet for the last month.  I think most of us have gotten distracted from posting by actually doing some projects.  I know several of us are currently working on some clothing.  I just finished up my last render for the It's Raining Men contest just before the deadline.  Time to get back to my clothing projects, though.  People are posting progress on their projects as they have some.  There are some great links to tutorials at the first part of the thread.  Join the party.

barberoy said:
    lx said:

Change the particle distance in Marvellous Designer to make the mesh denser, also if you're using MD5 you can quadranqulate before exporting the .obj.  

Yeah I found that, thanks. I made that post back when I'd only been using MD for an hr or so. I learned a lot more over the two week trial (which just ran out, so today I'm sad.)

I feel like quadrangulate is still a bit lacking - you wind up with a couple of triangles which for some reason become holes. Still, I guess it's a good start if you're planning for animation/morphable clothing. I'd just make the clothing quickly in MD as a template and then model it in another program if I wanted to do that at the moment though - or maybe zbrush can retopologise it much more nicely? (don't have it to test.)

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,858

I am currently making my first male item, a suit : ) Will show it to you guys once it is finished : )

• lx said:
    barberoy said:
    lx said:

Yeah I found that, thanks. I made that post back when I'd only been using MD for an hr or so. I learned a lot more over the two week trial (which just ran out, so today I'm sad.)

I feel like quadrangulate is still a bit lacking - you wind up with a couple of triangles which for some reason become holes. Still, I guess it's a good start if you're planning for animation/morphable clothing. I'd just make the clothing quickly in MD as a template and then model it in another program if I wanted to do that at the moment though - or maybe zbrush can retopologise it much more nicely? (don't have it to test.)

You can bring it to zbrush and use zremesher to get rid of any (or most) triangles but the downside is you lose the UV's. 

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322

I've been following this thread and making ok progress on this outfit for G3M, but WOW, making JCMS for the inner-thigh/crotch just about impossible.  It's defintley giving mr more trouble than a G3F outfit.

Has anyone cracked the code for cleaning up the Fwrd/Side/Twist Jcms for the thighs?

I'm going to give this one more attempt later this week and than I'll post it as a freebie.

image.jpg
    1800 x 1600 - 226K
    image.jpg
    1525 x 2000 - 268K

I've been following this thread and making ok progress on this outfit for G3M, but WOW, making JCMS for the inner-thigh/crotch just about impossible.  It's defintley giving mr more trouble than a G3F outfit.

Has anyone cracked the code for cleaning up the Fwrd/Side/Twist Jcms for the thighs?

I'm going to give this one more attempt later this week and than I'll post it as a freebie.

I've seen WIPs by Pros "poof" when it came to this. Obviously an area needing some assistance/improvements/whatever that we do this.

Have you tried "converting" it from G3F to M using the "Cross-Figure Setup"?

I'm working on some starters, starting in an old 4.5 which will do a close smooth [no have Zbrush etc] on Genesis ... workflow then to be bringing that up the line to G3M so I am also interested in any knowledge about how to make JCMs.

fun with lights.png
    1000 x 1000 - 787K

I've seen WIPs by Pros "poof" when it came to this. Obviously an area needing some assistance/improvements/whatever that we do this.

I'm working on some starters, starting in an old 4.5 which will do a close smooth [no have Zbrush etc] on Genesis ... workflow then to be bringing that up the line to G3M so I am also interested in any knowledge about how to make JCMs.

Jcms are automatically generated after running transfer utility on your outfit.  If you go to parameters and have show hidden properties ticked off, you'll see them all under the hidden properties tab.

Generally speaking, the auto-generated jcms work ok, but usually need to be tweaked.  

The way I've been doing it is by sending the outfit back out to hexagon and smoothing out the jcm.  I import it back to Daz using morph loader pro, and overwrite the auto-generated jcm with the new one.

I do the same process for forwarded, side, and twist, and back. 

It does work for when only 1 jcm is involved.  

The part I can't figure out is when more than one jcm is involved in the movement. 

Picture 1 is only using 1 jcm  (pJCMThighside_85_L) and looks after adjusting the original auto-generated jcm and looks pretty good. 

Picture 2 is using now using 3 jcms that all look good when used individually, but when pulled together at the same time everything has gone haywire. 

image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M

Jcms are automatically generated after running transfer utility on your outfit.  If you go to parameters and have show hidden properties ticked off, you'll see them all under the hidden properties tab.

Generally speaking, the auto-generated jcms work ok, but usually need to be tweaked.  

The way I've been doing it is by sending the outfit back out to hexagon and smoothing out the jcm.  I import it back to Daz using morph loader pro, and overwrite the auto-generated jcm with the new one.

I do the same process for forwarded, side, and twist, and back. 

It does work for when only 1 jcm is involved.  

The part I can't figure out is when more than one jcm is involved in the movement. 

Picture 1 is only using 1 jcm  (pJCMThighside_85_L) and looks after adjusting the original auto-generated jcm and looks pretty good. 

Picture 2 is using now using 3 jcms that all look good when used individually, but when pulled together at the same time everything has gone haywire. 

Thank you ... I'll certainly look for all those dials then.

I could be way off base but I seem to recall that there was something somewhere "once upon a time" about creating a new morph to be the controller morph for a bunch of others for situations like that in your picture 2.

• IchibanIchiban Posts: 113

I would pay for Wrestling Gear to fit G3M... specific stuff though.

Ichiban said:

I would pay for Wrestling Gear to fit G3M... specific stuff though.

Like WWE Pro-wrestling or Greco-Roman?  

That actually sounds like it could be fun to make.