formerly male content creation thread

1111213141517»

Comments

• So for example, could I create and sell or give away a texture set for Henley Shirt and Jeans Outfit? I have no plans currently, just curious to see if it's something that is allowed or if there are official rules limiting it.

Yes, as long as they were original textures (your own work or using third-party content licensed for freebie creation).

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited August 2018

Thank you for the updates, everyone.  Please continue.

@grinch2901 - you are correct, creating the initial mesh for clothing is usually the easy part.  As for JCMs, I hope the Josh Darling channel helps folks with the basics.  Another good resource is SickleYield's tutorial lists at DA.  Don't think I can provide a direct link, but I do think I can provide some appropriately focused screenshots.  SickleYield has much more there, but these two should help navigate to help with JCMs specific to Daz clothing.

sy tutorial deviantart.JPG
    1368 x 307 - 59K
    sy tutorial jcm 2.JPG
    1041 x 399 - 49K
    Post edited by Diomede on

RE: SickleYield tutorials - even though her tutorials for JCMs say Blender, you can use any modeling software that you want.  Just make sure that the import/export scaling and orientation are preserved, and that there are no changes to the number of vertexes.  For example, the bridge between Studio and Hexagon preserves the scaling. You can also use Silo or anything else.

• daniel.p.dye@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 156
    edited August 2018

Yes, as long as they were original textures (your own work or using third-party content licensed for freebie creation).

That's great, thanks everyone for the information :)
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,210

So for example, could I create and sell or give away a texture set for Henley Shirt and Jeans Outfit? I have no plans currently, just curious to see if it's something that is allowed or if there are official rules limiting it.

Absolutely. There used to be a PA that made texture sets for other people's clothing back in the days of V3/M3 & V4/M4. Look at the texture sets created for the Courageous and Valiant sets as an example. There's a lot of free textures on ShareCG for them. They are popular with the Star Trek fan crew. 

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I've been struggling with my clothing creation for the Withcher 3 character Ciri. I had to make gloves, add straps to the arm bands, create a better belt, create boots, and do JCMs to make it all come together.  I monkeyed with JCMs for a while and it was not fun. The corset ends right at the joint between hip and thigh, so when it crumples it's really hard to even see where/how since the whole bottom the mesh disappears into the leg when it's fully bent.  I think I either need to make it longer or shorter, get it away from that joint.

So I decided to work on the gloves. That's easy, just go into zBrush, mask off the arms, extract and retopology them. The retopo serves two purposes. It makes it a distinct mesh from the original G8 and it gets rid of some of the higher detail geometry, specifically the fingernails. I should have just hidden them, deleted, and then smoothed the fingers though. As you'll see, I have to redo anyway.  I got a reasonable pair of gloves and added lots of wrinkles and stitching and stuff, really put some time into them. But they are way too high poly. Unfortunately I have the hi res OBJ but not the original zBrush file so there's a do-over needed.

So as not to go insane, I set them aside for the time being and decided to work on the straps. I added straps to the armbands but when I went into hexagon to add buckles I had a devil of a time. The A pose is a real pain to work on arm stuff because everything is at a weird angle. It was really hard to make anything line up.  I suppose I could work on a figure morphed into the A pose but that has it's own problem. So I decided to consider another plan. I went back to Zbrush and searched around for freebie brushes and found a leatther strap one. That worked, I did the sword belt with it as you can see. No UVs as yet, unfortunately, but it did come out well. Of course there is a buckle but it's hard to figure out how to add that in just the right spots so I just linked to two ends, will have to fix that. Still learning. This has been a real motivation to finally learn how to use Zbrush, really.

Looking at the pic you can see that the shirt mesh is not smooth. The corset also has some wonky parts which are not shown.  I can't easily fix them because the mesh from MD isn't welded and if I weld it, I lose UVs.  I think I'll need to weld and retopology the shirt and corset in Zbrush but then I'll lose UVs and have to recreate them. So one more thing to deal with. 

Hey content creators: I am now starting to understand how hard you work at this stuff. I'm sure you pros have your workflow down to a science but figuring out how to do a complex and high quality product is a real patience tester. 

Ciri Sword Belt.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 416K
  • Diomede said:

Thank you, @stem_athome for the explanation and the screenshot.  Looks great. 

Although that example worked, it is not consistant when the method is used again.

I have made many attempts to try and support the hem, but they fail, either with mesh clipping or explosion(unstable). I will wait for the next beta release for further testing.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

Looks fabulous Grinch!  

edited August 2018

Thanks RAMWolff!

I've been reworking things, adding details first. Learned how to use IMM brushes in Zbrush to add the straps and buckles.  They arent UV mapped, unfortunately. Another problem. I'm not good at UVs. But at least the geometry exists. Also redid the sword strap to make it shorter like in the reference and did a better take on the where the belt clips together at the shoulder.   

Now I suppose I need to try to deal with that corset / leg intersection with a JCM. Look below, it's not going to be that easy but I'll give it a shot.

Details.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 490K
    Leg issue.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 416K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on
    edited August 2018

@stem_athome - thanks for all the suggestions.  Bummer about the poblems with inconsistency, instability, and explosions.  Worthy effort, though.  Maybe it will inspire someone else to get a solution.

@grinch2901 - you are right, the PAs have to do a lot more work than some people seem to think.  Your outfit looks great,  You have done a wonderful job with the details.  I don't have ZBrush, but I recently got 3DCoat on sale.  Regarding UVMapping, my last project I used Hexagon, but 3DCoat also has UVMapping.  Not sure about ZBrush.  Where do you plan to UVMap?

UVMapping tutes for hexagon

https://youtu.be/R4Fs9sXQMj0

https://youtu.be/bOuhsaMyGiU 

https://youtu.be/i0MMBFJoJpo

Creating material zones and shader domains in Hexagon

https://youtu.be/vHEra2REqXw

Diomede, I am going to try zbrush for the UVs.  I've done simple models in Hexagon but have had a heck of time getting the uwrap to work.  In zbrush I've seen good things on youtube using their UV Master plugin. never got as clean an outcome myself but I need to learn better, as I said I stink at UVs and it's really important. I saw the 3D Coat sale and was tempted mightily because the painting and hard surface modeling I think looks way better than zbrush but in the end it was just too pricey for a "I wonder if this is something I'll use" type of purchase.   

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

Thanks RAMWolff!

I've been reworking things, adding details first. Learned how to use IMM brushes in Zbrush to add the straps and buckles.  They arent UV mapped, unfortunately. Another problem. I'm not good at UVs. But at least the geometry exists. Also redid the sword strap to make it shorter like in the reference and did a better take on the where the belt clips together at the shoulder.   

Now I suppose I need to try to deal with that corset / leg intersection with a JCM. Look below, it's not going to be that easy but I'll give it a shot.

Quite easy from within ZBrush.  Just use the UV Master under the ZPlugin drop down menu!  

RE: Thickness -

This comment is directed at the issue of rolled up hems and rolled up cuffs in clothing designed to provide a sense of thickness for both conforming and dForce uses. One solution that I have seen is to allow the base look to appear paper thin, and be draped with dForce, but include a morph to roll up the hem/cuff to gie a sense of thickness post drape or post pose.  Something to think about.  My 'puter is busy with another task right now so  can't provide a screenshot illustration right now, but I hope this idea is clear enough as the basis of a discussion.

Thoughts or ideas on post-dForce simulation morphs for a sense of thickness?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017
    Diomede said:

RE: Thickness -

This comment is directed at the issue of rolled up hems and rolled up cuffs in clothing designed to provide a sense of thickness for both conforming and dForce uses. One solution that I have seen is to allow the base look to appear paper thin, and be draped with dForce, but include a morph to roll up the hem/cuff to gie a sense of thickness post drape or post pose.  Something to think about.  My 'puter is busy with another task right now so  can't provide a screenshot illustration right now, but I hope this idea is clear enough as the basis of a discussion.

Thoughts or ideas on post-dForce simulation morphs for a sense of thickness?

The post-simulation morph to roll the edge is exactly what esha did in the Little Red Dress, and it is very effective.

Thank you, @Barbult.

I also own Esha's Little Red Dress.  Will play with that morph as well when I get a chance.  Can see this approach as a partial solution.  Definitely open to other suggestions, though.  Haven't tested it with Little Red Dress, but I am concerned that in some simulations followed by morphing there could be poke through because the creases, wrinkles and folds may not match over the edge of a bench, for example.  But it is definitely a solution for lots of situations.  Hope I am wrong about the bench.

edited August 2018

RE: opening and closing items with dForce surface add-ons

- The dForce dedicated thead has some recent posts on dForce surface add-ons.  See especially the workflow at the following comment

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3845981/#Comment_3845981

Thank you, @RGcincy for the wonderful screenshots

edited October 2018

2018 Its Raining Men Approaches!

- Thought it might be good to do a couple of quick tutorials in honor of the upcoming Its Raining Men event.

- I've posted a quick walkthrough of applying and saving a custom full body morph (FBM) for an extreme shape change, and a tutorial of creating clothing items specific to that FBM.  Neither tutorial has much about doing the modeling;, rather, they are focused on the steps to load, convert, and save the morphs and clothing meshes that you create for use in Daz Studio.

See
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4047206/#Comment_4047206

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2018

Are there restrictions on who can create texture sets? Either as freebies or for sale, can people other than the original PA and/or Daz release new texture sets?

Of course. Anyone can make a texture set for any outfit if they want to. They just can't give away or sell the outfit or the textures that were made by someone else. It has to be 100% your design and not use any copyrighted material.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2018

So for example, could I create and sell or give away a texture set for Henley Shirt and Jeans Outfit? I have no plans currently, just curious to see if it's something that is allowed or if there are official rules limiting it.

You may. So long as the images for the fabric for the textures was either made by you from scratch or is allowed to be used by you (for example, you paid to use them commercially from a website like cgtextures.com or they have a creative commons license or other royalty-free license which allows it, like goodtextures.com).

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited October 2018

Creating Custom Conforming Hair - Eyebrows and Facial Hair for my Morphed ToonElf Character

- After creating the rest of the ToonElf outfit designed to fit my FullBodyMorph, I decided to try creating som facial hair.  Iused carrara and Daz Studio.  You can find the walkthrough here.

- attempt to make custom facial hair  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4053951/#Comment_4053951

- creating the boots for a speciic morphed character here See https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4047206/#Comment_4047206

edited November 2018

Its Raining Men Again

This is a great event.  I hope it inspires some people to dive back in the modeling pool, or the skin and morph character pool, or the hair styling pool.

Here is a link to Its Raining Men - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286971/it-s-raining-men-annual-contest-starts-now#latest

I recently saw the movie Darby O'Gill and the Little People.  Got me thinking. I applied some of the lessons from the most recent posts to begin a Leprechaun character.  Here is an early concept test with Floyd.  I'll go through some of the details in my other thread and link here.  The FBM  was dial spun but then saved as a single character morph.  The clothing was modeled to fit this FBM, and then "reverse to shape" was used in the transfer utility.  The hair and beard were styled and converted in Carrara, then exported to Studio, and transferred to a conforming obj.  Again, hair designed for leprechaun's FBM and then reversed in transfer utility. Shaders were just some presets in my library.  Sort of looks like a disco leprechaun for the moment.  laugh

EDIT - DForce was used on the sleeves and pant legs, but few wrinkles or folds.  Happens sometimes.

What is everyone up to?

Test Darby and Lep.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 213K
    lep test 111.jpg
    700 x 700 - 31K
    edited August 2019

Free Genesis 8 Male Barbarian Outfit - Untextured

Daz Studio format

Briefs with big belt, sandals with straps, 2nd belt with loop for weapon, forearm bracers, bicep armband, necklace

https://sharecg.com/v/94316/view/21/DAZ-Studio/G8M-Barbarian-FRD01-Untextured

Thumbnail FR01 Barbarian 500 by 500.jpg
    500 x 500 - 16K
    edited August 2019

UPDATE

Barbarian outfit fix.

Someone reported a problem with the pants so let me know if there are any remaining issues.  This should be a fix.

https://sharecg.com/v/94316/view/21/DAZ-Studio/G8M-Barbarian-FRD01-Untextured

Its Raining Men 2019 is up and running.

Maybe folks could rev up the (formerly) Male Content Creation Thread.  Advances in DForce are exciting opportunities.

See Art Studio Forum for

Its Raining Men Rules and Discussion Thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/363096/it-s-raining-men-2019-is-now-officially-starts-now/p1

Its Raining Men Entry Thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/363101/it-s-raining-men-2019-entry-thread#latest

• I've previously released some free merchant resources geard towards content creation. I figure they're relevent to this thread, so I'm posting them here for those who may have missed them:

InTheFlesh Merchant Morphs for Genesis 8 Male

This is a free set of morphs which will be updated over time. Primarily consisting of morphs I have created for use during product creation, these are being released as a free merchant resource.

These morphs can be used as a base for your own creations, correcting morph issues with other products or distributed for free or sale. The only restriction is you cannot sell these morphs as part of a morph pack.

InTheFlesh Merchant Morphs Vol. 1 includes:

- Daz Install Manager (DIM) compatible install.

- ITF Ears Remove: Completely removes Ears, resulting in a smooth flattened surface. Intended as a base for further sculpting, this morph only works well with the default Genesis 8 Male base shape.

- ITF Eyes Remove: Completely removes Eyes, resulting in a smooth flattened surface. Intended as a base for further sculpting, this morph only works well with the default Genesis 8 Male base shape.

- ITF Nose Remove: Completely removes Nose, resulting in a smooth flattened surface. Intended as a base for further sculpting, this morph only works well with the default Genesis 8 Male base shape.

- ITF Cornea EyeMoisture Scale: Enlarge or shrink just the Cornea and EyeMoisture. Useful for correcting instances of the Sclera poking through the EyeMoisture.

- ITF Teeth Scale All: Enlarge or shrink just the Teeth. Useful for correcting morphs that cause the Teeth to shrink.

Morphs are located under Actor/Head, or simply search for ITF Merchant Morphs to find morphs from all current and future volumes.

https://gumroad.com/intheflesh?sort=page_layout&tags=free

https://sharecg.com/v/94004/view/21/DAZ-Studio/InTheFlesh-Merchant-Morphs-for-G8M-Vol.-1

ITF Dev Kit for Genesis 8 Male by InTheFlesh

A collection of useful tools to speed up your workflow when creating content for Genesis 8 Male.

Make sure watch the tutorial on Youtube for a full walkthough of all the tools:

Created in Daz Studio Pro 4.11

Once installed, you will find the ITF Dev Kit folder under People -> Genesis 8 Male -> ITF Dev Kit.

1. Load G8M Basic loads Genesis 8 Male at Subdivision Level 1 with a grey Iray shader I use for test renders. The eyelashes have been removed and the Maximum Subdivision Level has been unlocked to level 4.

2. Apply G8M Texturing Pose is a custom pose to allow for easier texturing. The fingers and toes have been spread apart and straightened, the legs are spread apart for increased access and the arms have been raised and straightened. I tend to texture the eyes and mouth separately, so the mouth is partially opened to reduce texture distortion when compared to having the mouth fully open but still allowing you to get and and texture the lips. The eyes are also mostly closed to give better access to the eyelids. You may need to make some adjustments when working with more extreme character morphs, so just go to Currently Used under parameters to tweak the eye and mouth opening.

3. Explode Eyes and Teeth is a custom morph that moves the eye and teeth geometry out to the left of Genesis 8 Males head. The sclera, pupil and iris have been separated from the cornea and eye moisture. The teeth have been aligned and spread out for easier access during texturing. This morph is also useful for extracting texture maps because it reduces overlapping areas of the mesh.

4. Zero Pose and Morph simply does as stated: it restores the default Genesis 8 Male pose and removes the Explode Eyes and Teeth Morph.

5. Set SubD Zero, One and Four are one click options to set your desired Subdivision level without having to drill into the Parameters.

6. Single UV Tile is a custom UV set that moves all the UV shells into a single non-overlapping layout. It is optimized for texture painting and baking in applications that don't support multiple UDIM tiles. Again, I usually texture the eyes and mouth separately so the UV's for those parts have been scaled down and placed into blank areas of the Torso and Legs UV's. If you use this UV set, you can convert the created textures to be compatible with the default Base Male UV Set by cropping them into 4 equal square textures.

7. Skin UDIM UV is similar to the Single UV Tile in that the eye and mouth uv's have been scaled down and placed into blank areas of the Torso UV's. But instead of the UV's being on a single tile, the Face, Torso, Legs and Arms UV's are still in their original UDIM tile locations. This layout is my preference when working in Mudbox because it supports full UDIM texture painting and baking. Nothing needs to be done to the textures using this UV set to be compatible with the default Base Male UV's, but you can paint out the eye and mouth textures if you'd like.

8. Single UV Tile Even Density is a custom UV set that moves all the UV shells into a single non-overlapping uv tile while scaling the parts to ensure even pixel density across the surface. This is especially useful when projecting full body photographs or extracting texture maps to reduce seams due to differences in UV scale. For example, the difference in pixel size between the face and torso textures. This UV set is also good for using tileable or procedural textures with consistent detail resolution across the mesh. The downside to this UV Set is that if you want to make the textures compatible with the Base Male UV Set you will need to project the textures which can result in a loss of fidelity. I'd recommend baking 16K maps if your hardware can handle it when using this UV Set.

9. Base Male UV simply restores the default Genesis 8 Base Male UV Set.

10. Export Base OBJ changes the selected figure to Base Resolution 0 and SubD 0 and prompts for a location to save an OBJ file. The settings used are designed for exporting to Mudbox and Maya, but may work with others.

11. Export SubD OBJ exports the selected figure at the currently set Resolution and SubD Level. Again, it prompts for the save location and uses the same settings as before.

12. Head, Eyes, Ears and Mouth DFormers load preset weight-mapped D-Formers. These are mostly used when importing morphs to define which parts get morphed or not. The Head D-Former has a soft falloff and can be used to split head and body morphs into separate parts. The Eyes D-Former can be used to ensure the eyes aren't affect by imported morphs. This has no falloff, so only the eye geometry is affected while the eye socket is still morphed. The Ears D-Former has a soft falloff, and the Mouth and Teeth D-Former also has a slight falloff for a smoother blend between the mouth and lips. By default, the imported morphs will be applied to the selected area. To prevent morphs from being applied to the D-Former selection, just set the Strength to minus one in the Attenuate By options.

Download at Gumroad FOR $0 to get notified of updates and new freebies: https://gumroad.com/l/qAEQn

Download at ShareCG: https://sharecg.com/v/94141/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/InTheFlesh-Dev-Kit-for-Genesis-8-Male

Hope this helps with people creating their own content for Genesis 8 Male

Cheers!

Daniel

Thank you so much for adding them to this thread.  Wonderful.

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited April 2020

I have been trying to find something concrete, a pipeline, a workflow, anything that instructs how to create your own skin textures for Daz Studio. I have made many male sculpted morphs in z-brush using the Genesis 8 male base but I cannot find a clear tutorial that explains the end-to-end skin texturing process...and most likely I won't find one. I 'understand' the process of skin texturing, but when it comes to all the functionality and database operations in Daz studio I cannot find anything. After watching the ITF Dev Kit video I was amazed at all the knowledge InTheFlesh has..well, obviously because that's what he does...but I cannot find good solid information on the how's and why's and where's and what-nots. I've watched many videos which offer certain specific processes by piece-meal, but trying to tape all this information together to get a clear guide to it all is breaking my brain. Learning Daz and rendering was a similar process, but as there are so many sources and tutorials out there which offer concise instruction, it was much easier piecing it all together...but not so much the mechanics for the skin texturing process when dealing with Daz Studio for the end product. If anyone has any advice..or could nudge me in the direction where I might look it would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by Fungible User on
    edited February 2022

@Catherine3678ab has very generously started a thread in the Freebies Forum on content creation, with an introduction. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/549176/making-clothing-tutorial-s-starting-with-an-introduction

• Diomede said:

@Catherine3678ab has very generously started a thread in the Freebies Forum on content creation, with an introduction. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/549176/making-clothing-tutorial-s-starting-with-an-introduction

Wowzers, thank you so much for the link!

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,965
    edited February 2022

Oh my ears are burning! Somebody talking about me lol ...

Yes I've started the thread with an introd. Images are in the editing basket for the next part. What we're doing so far has nothing to do with genders of the figures, pJCMs are pJCMs for example. I have more tutorials over at sharecg as well including a few for making templates and skins.

I don't think you'll ever find a wholely comprehensive "this is how to make skins" because it does matter which programs one is using, what they are trying to achieve, etc. For HD skins I would think it's pretty much mandatory to have a decent modeller geared for the task as well as the resources to play around with. Over on YouTube there is an excellent video showing how to use Zbrush WITH AN ADDITIONAL plugin to wrap those typical face skins one might purchase at the popular skin resource site, on to the face mesh. It appears to be the cat's meow for the task.

In several of the high or higher end modellers one can make use of the base resolution figure for the low res model, sculpt away to ones heart's desire a high detailed character and then use those 2 objects to create a set of texture images {i.e. the normals, etc.}. I know 3DCoat can do this, it would make sense that the others can too but I do not have all the others. Nor have I mastered 3DCoat well enough to make tutorials -- but again there are some very good tutorials over on YouTube.

Then there are resources available for purchase - be careful though 'cause several of the artists/collectors who are selling such products, sell the same products in several stores. ArtStation, Gumroad, etc. Packages including something called "alphas" as in .png or .tiff or .psd {sometimes work, sometimes don't}, can be used in several programs in different ways. They may be used as "brushes" in some modellers. And they can be used in the image editors as well, to provide detailing to whichever skin resource one is working with. The skin resource sites also have tutorials over on YouTube on how to use their products. One might purchase photos of people, patches of super hi-res skin photos {for pores, etc.}, and so forth.

Starting with the basics is often a good idea to get a grasp of what is entailed and how one wishes to proceed to their own next level for developing skills. Find a bunch of photos of real people not wearing make-up, just grab the colour of their skin to make set of skin colors swatchesf, paint/fill the templates - learn about seams for starters. One paints what will be seen for sure on the templates, and then one can make use of template masks created in D/S even, to be sure that the colors extend OVER the seams to prevent seams showing on the models in D/S.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on