Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.21!

Comments

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818

I have a question... I haven't tried the beta or anything, but.. what if one buy brushes for photoshop  through Daz (like ron's amazing sets), I download those through DIM at the moment and than get them into PS.. what I wonder is, will things like brushes still be possible to download through DIM even for new sets?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited October 2015

Hmmm, this makes me feel like I'm being punished for being a paying customer.

I don't like and don't use smart content.

Well, I guess, once I've used up store credit, I don't have to buy anything else, if I don't like the process.

EDIT

I was briefly exited about this release.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2015

I have created many custom product icons for cosmetic reasons. Can I be directed to the folder location of the downloaded product icons in 4.9 so I can copy over my custom product icons currently residing in Runtime>Support?  Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the folder!

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • Carola O said:

I have a question... I haven't tried the beta or anything, but.. what if one buy brushes for photoshop  through Daz (like ron's amazing sets), I download those through DIM at the moment and than get them into PS.. what I wonder is, will things like brushes still be possible to download through DIM even for new sets?

Yes, brushes and other non-DS formats wil continue to be released in DIM format (and all exsiting content will continue to be available in DIM format).

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

But what about future content.  Will those of us who do not want to use the new system be able to download the content manually?

• jakiblue said:

And if i DON'T want to use Categories?  

I install via DIM - then I open up my folders and CHANGE the installation. I DON'T want scenery and sets to go to 'Environments' - I want them in my PROPS folder. 

I DON'T want "materials" for DAZ bases to go in MATERIALS.... I want them in my CHARACTER folder. 

I DON'T want Vehicles to go in the Vehicles folder....I want them in my PROPS folder, in a little folder I named "Spaceships" or the one named "Cars" or the one named "Whatever Vehicles"

Can I still do this?

DAZ_Vince said:

Can I still custom sort my files?

Yes, you can still customize how your files are categorized by adding your own categories.

I think, on a quick test, that the loader script I used in my updated (and not yet released) successor to my script for putting DS content in Poser libraries will load the encrypted files (it just tells the Content Manager to load the file). The script will require some work on other parts of its function, and the script that makes the loader scripts will require a lot of work since it is currently using folder location to pick its targets, but it may well be possible to create pseudo-shortcuts that you can then arrange as desired in a folder tree. I do intend to explore this, since it's my preferred approach, but no promises on when or guarantees that it will even prove workable.

• 4)The directories created for the downloaded products under My Library/data/cloud are just sku numbers, there are no product names.  This will make working with and modifying content more difficult, as users will have to look up the product sku to identify which directory the product is installed in.

Well, remember that you can't modify the DS-native files. As for finding the folder for textures, I suspect it may be possible to write a script that would open the folder for you (get selected product from the content pane, doable, get SKU, don't know, open an OS folder showing that folder, doable).

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Is activating DAZ Connect a one way conversion?

Can I revert a specific item to DIM if needed?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited October 2015

Honestly... if this kind of stuff is the future, then DAZ3D as a shop will be no longer be where I buy stuff.

Sorry, but if I read

Will Daz Install Manager and Daz Connect work side by side? Can I choose one or the other?

Yes, both Daz Install Manager and Daz Connect can work side by side. Planned updates to Daz Studio and Daz Install Manager will help coordinate installation methods.

and

Are all products Daz Connect ready?

New products, as well as a huge selection of older products, will be offered through Daz Connect right away, with more of the older products having Daz Connect support added in the future. Our plans are for existing products that have been offered through non-Daz Connect methods to continue to be offered in those ways as well as through Daz Connect. New products will begin to migrate toward a Daz Connect-only delivery.

at some point only this DAZ Connect stuff is valid for delivery.

Well, on the bright side of things, I'll have more money left for other stuff. Might be about time to change over to Dusk and Dawn.

Wilmap said:

But what about future content.  Will those of us who do not want to use the new system be able to download the content manually?

See above, you will just be able to download future products with that DAZ Connect shitabang.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    edited October 2015
    jakiblue said:

I install via DIM - then I open up my folders and CHANGE the installation. I DON'T want scenery and sets to go to 'Environments' - I want them in my PROPS folder. 

I DON'T want "materials" for DAZ bases to go in MATERIALS.... I want them in my CHARACTER folder. 

I DON'T want Vehicles to go in the Vehicles folder....I want them in my PROPS folder, in a little folder I named "Spaceships" or the one named "Cars" or the one named "Whatever Vehicles"

Can I still do this?

DAZ_Vince said:

Yes, you can still customize how your files are categorized by adding your own categories.

I think, on a quick test, that the loader script I used in my updated (and not yet released) successor to my script for putting DS content in Poser libraries will load the encrypted files (it just tells the Content Manager to load the file). The script will require some work on other parts of its function, and the script that makes the loader scripts will require a lot of work since it is currently using folder location to pick its targets, but it may well be possible to create pseudo-shortcuts that you can then arrange as desired in a folder tree. I do intend to explore this, since it's my preferred approach, but no promises on when or guarantees that it will even prove workable.

If a simple script is all you need to descramble the data and place it in human readable formats, then what is the point of encrypting in the first place? Seems to me to be all pain and no gain.

Post edited by Havos on
  • prixat said:

Is activating DAZ Connect a one way conversion?

Can I revert a specific item to DIM if needed?

As I understand it, yes - just uninstall the cloud version and install the DIM version.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

1)  DAZ Connect is installing everything to the My Library/data/cloud directory, which completely ignores my existing directory structure.  There needs to be a way to identify what directories to install a product to, the same way we can in DIM.  Not everyone uses Smart Content to organize content, many prefer seperate content directories.

2) Since everything is being re-installed to the cloud directory, almost all of my existing DAZ Content is being duplicated.  So either I will have to delete my existing directories, or lose a significant chunk of hard drive space to uneeded files, especially since these duplicate files are apparently only visible to Smart Content.

I believe, the data directory is only for .dsf files. (mesh UV morph, etc,,) extrude projection dufsad

then  all preset or scene files duf should be installed out of data directory , I learned  so.. 

DAZ change way completely?  or it is just about package meta-data, which  stored in  /data / cloud ?

(these meta files are stored in runtime/support , now)

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited October 2015

Hi, I was directed here, to voice my concerns.  From what I'm reading, I may not have a concern, but I would like to ask, point blank -- DAZ, please continue to allow those of us who have rural internet and have to monitor our downloads access to DAZ Studio and products.  Thank you.  :-)  I surely don't want to have to move to feed my love of 3D.  I would like to upgrade to 4.9, once it is out of beta, too, so being able to use that would be great.  But, like others, I don't do the Cloud thing.  Oh, dang -- just let us all be able to keep having fun, ok? :-)

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited October 2015

Two posts in another thread, I actually hope you listen.

Bejaymac said:

And to think more and more Poser users were jumping ship, bet this dumb move sends them and a hell of a lot more besides back to Poser, and back to the Gen 4 figures.

ROFLMFAO talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Indeed.

Wilmap said:

If I stay with 4.8 and DIM will I still be able to download new content once 4.9 goes live?

I don't wish to use this Cloud thingy, so if I can't use new content with 4.8 what is the future of Daz for me?

+1

Sorry I bought that last gift card? Is it possible to get refunds on them, anyone know? No matter I'll raise a ticket.

EDIT

Done, will see what happens.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • I wont be using 4.9.

Please do not DRM your product. DRM has been proven to have little to no success in halting piracy. In fact DRM has been known to increase piracy.

I have been a manual installer since I began playing with DAZ. Please do not take away my option of downloading .zip files.

I do not use smart content nor will I ever, its not necessary. I know where all my content is and im very happy to categorize it as I see fit.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    jakiblue said:

I DON'T want Vehicles to go in the Vehicles folder....I want them in my PROPS folder, in a little folder I named "Spaceships" or the one named "Cars" or the one named "Whatever Vehicles".

Can I still do this?

DAZ_Vince said:

Similarly I always move my Iray shader and lighting files into Iray specific folders. I don't want them dumped in amongst the 3DL lighting and shader files which is the default install location.

I don't use smart content or categories.

• DAZ3D, can you give us a  time frame for how long it willl before manual Zip files will no longer be available with purchases, and new content MUST be installed via DAZ Connect with no other download/install options available..??

As I have mentioned in another thread I DO NOT USE DIM.  I DO NOT USE SMART CONTENT. My machines ARE NOT connected to the internet. I use the maunal install zip files.

Cheers,

S.K.

• Havos said:
    jakiblue said:

Can I still do this?

DAZ_Vince said:

If a simple script is all you need to descramble the data and place it in human readable formats, then what is the point of encrypting in the first place? Seems to me to be all pain and no gain.

That isn't what I said - a script can pass the name of the encrypted file to the Conent Manager for loading, which is what DS does internally when you tell it to load a file.

Havos said:
    jakiblue said:

Can I still do this?

DAZ_Vince said:

That isn't what I said - a script can pass the name of the encrypted file to the Conent Manager for loading, which is what DS does internally when you tell it to load a file.

When you said the script was to copy stuff to the poser libraries, I assumed that meant in order for Poser to be able to read them, looks like I misinterpreted that part, sorry. Does not make me love this encryption anymore, nor will it stop piracy of content, as it can be exported out using FBX or other formats.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Ther initial conversion seemed to go OK but...

I'm just getting both Content Library and Smart Content full of blank items with exclamation marks!

'Item not found' if I try to load anything.

• DAZ_Vince said:

Are all products Daz Connect ready?

... New products will begin to migrate toward a Daz Connect-only delivery.

There goes my 3D art hobby.  I don't use the DIM or Smart Content.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

One of the biggest and most common complaints we get from customers is that they can not find their content that they just purchased. The organization in the Runtime structure and the Daz Studio native content directories is confusing to most customers. They try to restructure things in those folders, as advised in various threads, without actually understanding what they are doing and it compounds the issue. Now, not only can the customer not find their content, but because they don't know what they did, Customer Service can't point them to their own content. This ability to move files around does not fix the general problem, it makes it worse. 

Yes, some of you have been moving things around for years, and know what you are doing, so it has worked for you, but you are the exception, not the rule, and you should not have had to do that in the first place.

In moving files around you have been creating categories, though since there wasn't a database, it wasn't as fully functional as what Smart Content can do for you. It was the idea of being able to sort files so they were where you could find them, and only show you what worked with what is the entire idea behind "Smart Content" in the first place. 

While you still don't have to use Smart Content, if you continue to use Install Manager, and I know change is scary, you might want to see what you can do with it, because it makes your life significantly easier and is much more powerful than just moving files around. Some of the organization schemes you guys come up with are brilliant, some you wish you could change as your content collection gets bigger. Smart Content and the database makes doing this less work so you can focus on the main purpose of the software, which is to make art. 

One of the biggest and most common complaints we get from customers is that they can not find their content that they just purchased. The organization in the Runtime structure and the Daz Studio native content directories is confusing to most customers. They try to restructure things in those folders, as advised in various threads, without actually understanding what they are doing and it compounds the issue. Now, not only can the customer not find their content, but because they don't know what they did, Customer Service can't point them to their own content. This ability to move files around does not fix the general problem, it makes it worse. 

Yes, some of you have been moving things around for years, and know what you are doing, so it has worked for you, but you are the exception, not the rule, and you should not have had to do that in the first place.

In moving files around you have been creating categories, though since there wasn't a database, it wasn't as fully functional as what Smart Content can do for you. It was the idea of being able to sort files so they were where you could find them, and only show you what worked with what is the entire idea behind "Smart Content" in the first place. 

While you still don't have to use Smart Content, if you continue to use Install Manager, and I know change is scary, you might want to see what you can do with it, because it makes your life significantly easier and is much more powerful than just moving files around. Some of the organization schemes you guys come up with are brilliant, some you wish you could change as your content collection gets bigger. Smart Content and the database makes doing this less work so you can focus on the main purpose of the software, which is to make art. 

I agree with all the above, and I do use Smart Content, but I still do not see why you need to encrypt the files to achieve these aims.

I use Smart Content, but it is actually harder to find what I'm looking for than going into the Content Library and going straight to where I know it is. Why do I know where it is? Because I installed it manually.  If I can't do that in future with new content then Daz is finished as far as new content is concerned.  That worries me a lot.

• Havos said:
    Havos said:
    jakiblue said:

Can I still do this?

DAZ_Vince said:

When you said the script was to copy stuff to the poser libraries, I assumed that meant in order for Poser to be able to read them, looks like I misinterpreted that part, sorry. Does not make me love this encryption anymore, nor will it stop piracy of content, as it can be exported out using FBX or other formats.

Sorry, the Poser reference was to having a dummy .pz2 if people wanted to place things in a Poser-format directory for loading in DS rather than offering a way to use the content in Poser.

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 753
    edited October 2015

In moving files around you have been creating categories, though since there wasn't a database, it wasn't as fully functional as what Smart Content can do for you.

There's something you should know about us exceptions to the rule.  We enjoy moving things around.  The key difference between moving files around ourselves, and using a database, is controlWe want control over our content.  We don't have to backup anything, or risk a new version of Studio mucking things up.   We just point the latest version to our content folder(s) and we're done.

While you still don't have to use Smart Content, if you continue to use Install Manager, and I know change is scary...

I'm not afraid of change.  I love change.  I want to maintain control over content I bought.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Wilmap said:

I use Smart Content, but it is actually harder to find what I'm looking for than going into the Content Library and going straight to where I know it is. Why do I know where it is? Because I installed it manually.  If I can't do that in future with new content then Daz is finished as far as new content is concerned.  That worries me a lot.

And if you made your changes in Smart Content instead of moving files around, you would know exactly where it was there too. And you can do that organization all within DS and without breaking future updates. 

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

will newer content work with older versions of DS? I didn't see this covered but it's a long read. From what I did read though this update is no benefit to me at this time and I don't expect I'll upgrade.

• DAZ, I just renewed my PC+ subscription for another year even though my current sub does not run out until DEC. 31. If you proceed with this new DRM focus on "smart" content, I will be demanding a full refund.

This is how my spending will be affected by these decisions. You will see an increase in purchases in the short term as I make a mad dash to collect every .zip file I can justify and then, once the new content adapts to the DRM only format, my spending will drop off to NOTHING.

...it is only a hobby...

Wilmap said:

And if you made your changes in Smart Content instead of moving files around, you would know exactly where it was there too. And you can do that organization all within DS and without breaking future updates. 

Tried doing that, and doesn't work as well as my system!

This discussion has been closed.