The new Centaur 'n stuff thread - reloaded

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,946
    edited October 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    Thankfully, I like centaurs clothed, which makes things easier. And you can then set outfits to collide with the horse part, helping immensely. I've also had luck setting man or horse to collide with the other half, helping to smooth the transition. It's just the textures I have to cover.

Wides sashes/belts, shoulder bags and similar type accessories also go a long way to mask the transition.

Also, take a look at the thread on the new mertail...the technique for making the transition used for it, a geoshell, should also work for a centaur, too.

The problem with geoshell for the centaur is it has to be geografted together the Genesis figure and the horse figure ,before the geoshell will cover both ........ I've beaten my head into the keyboard trying to figure it out ,I haven't learned modeling yet ,soooo I haven't had any luck ........there should be a way to geograft both of the figures to a "yoke" that turns/locks them into one figure,making the overlapping parts invisible but retaining the morphing ability for both figures. I think who ever manages to do it could make some sales fer sure

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,874

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Stinz-topless-556795217 shows my best experiment there.

With decent clothing, hey, it works out: http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Stinz-553347318

Very nice Will

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    mjc1016 said:

That's what the MFD does best...fill in when you can't find anything else to fit.  With the add-ons and the ease of retexturing it, I wouldn't worry too much about a wardrobe. 

Also, if you haven't looked try some of Wilmap's stuff...she has made a lot of Genesis items that could possibly be used.

https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=3

Good link.  I do have a lot of her items; need to look more closely at them.  Found a few new ones today, too.

I'm actually leaning towards modern...I haven't seen a lot of centaurs that made it past the 1400's...

...then, I guess I haven't Googled them before.  o.o;  I suppose I need to get out more.

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464

I agree with the MFD being useful for even the 'Taurs.   With 'adjusted' trans-maps, and the morphs built in, it can fit just about anything.   Personally, from all I have seen with all the various 'Taurs over the years;  I will stay with Gen4 (or whichever upper figure I want!) and the Millennium Horse.  I have the Horse 2, but am absolutely NOT happy with it at all.   SO.  The MilBigCat and MilHorse are my Taur base Figures of choice.  :)   I will now bow out and lurk for an immeasurable length of time.

McG.

What don't you like about Horse2?

Try selecting the head and making it invisible.  That is a good start.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    McGrandpa said:

Try selecting the head and making it invisible.  That is a good start.

I'm not following, what problem are you having?

The biggest difference I see McG is the DAZ Horse2 's tongue is a few extra clicks to make invisible ..Mil.Horse 1 doesn't seem to have one .........

Legs scaling is different, and produces a better looking leg while bent than MilHorse.  However, try to select ANY body part and then uncheck visibility.  It makes the whole thing invisible.  So what do we do, use transmaps to make the head and unneeded neck parts invisible?   THIS is the GENESIS horse!  Carrie58 is probably right the most part for WHY I prefer to use MilHorse.  There is already a plethora of stuff available for it, and I have a LOT of stuff for the MilHorse.  IF you are starting from scratch, it can make more sense to use Horse2 WHEN there is more stuff available for it.  Like a thousand or so skins sets, blankets, armor, tack and eventually someone will reinvent the DAZ Horse shoes which DAZ have so thoughtfully removed from their inventory.   Carrie ya summed up neat;  "The biggest difference I see . . ." which says not enough to be worth the money if you already have the MilHorse.  I now have both and still use MilHorse.  Thank you.

McG.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563

That's weird, visibility works by node for me.  What appliction and version, and how are you turning off visibility?

And I think you misread Carrie58, I believe all she was saying was that the only difference in making the head invisible is there are a few more bones for the tongue.

edited October 2015

Poser Pro 2014 and if you will look at the attached image, Horse2>Head is selected and Visibility is unchechecked.  With any other thing, that selected item disappears.  Not this.  Now I am not sure at all what was selected when the entire horse disappeared.  Had to be Horse2>Body.   Anyway, my real issues are that I can't use it for creating Centaurs and my array of horse textures won't work with it.  

horse2 001.jpg
    1475 x 800 - 156K
    Post edited by McGrandpa on

OOooh. See, it works fine in Daz Studio, that's why I was blissfully unaware.

I don't use Studio.  Also, the leg parts bend as they should unless the Y axis is extended, then the whole joint goes to pot.  Worse than MilHorse actually, as the breed morphs depended on the ability to modify leg part axis.  To boot, there are no 'breed morphs' for Horse 2.   Ah phooey DAZ doesn't want Poser people around anymore anyway.  

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,237
    edited October 2015

Afraid your right as making anything from Daz work in Poser has become a major undertaking with a very little low success rate

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242

If you want  a decent horse model the MilHorse will do. I gather that the mesh is very good, even if the rigging is less than great. DAZ Horse 2 is a bit better, if you are working in Studio. But I'm not sure that it's enough better to be worth investing in unless you work in Studio.

If you want a superative horse model, at this point in time that means you go to Hivewire. And the Hivewire hose has separate Poser and Studio versions so you don't have to work against the model to get it to work in your program. It's also got a lot more bones and can take poses that neither of the older market leaders could acomplish. The mane, tail and fetlocks are also all rigged figures, rather than props. A little bit tricky to work with, but worth the effort for the results.

Hivewire is a small company so things tend to trickle out in dribs and drabs. But by this time there are a decent range of breeds and skins to choose from, as well as some 3rd-party add-on characters -- mostly from the same Sparky from Philosopher's Egg who has his own line of centaurs.

At the monent it's rather short on tack. But you don't put a saddle on a Centaur.

JOdel said:

But you don't put a saddle on a Centaur.

Well you can but it all depends who is going into the saddle ,whether or not they will stay in the saddle .........laugh

JOdel, l am a member at HiveWire, and I chose some while back to stay with the MilHorse over their horse.  NONE of the models are "perfect" by any means.  ALL these models discussed so far are decent, usable and so on.  Depends on the use you have in mind.  The MilHorse has the clear advantage of time in use, which has resulted in a huge array of texture packs and tack plus pose sets galore.  HEMI426's kits also work with the MilHorse, obviously!   I won't buy into yet another major Figure, be it human, animal or what not, that is a newer slightly better version of something I already have.  Just too much investment for too little return, for me.   It's like my having invested a LOT into Gen 4 Figures and all the goodies that go with them, as opposed to buying into and investing much more money per unit for Gen 6 and 7.   I get great results with V4/M4/K4 and a few hundred gigabytes of content for those.  I have a lot of nice props, some I havent even used yet.  And I don't use Studio.  So almost ALL the latest goodies in the Store here are absolutely useless to me.  ALL that great stuff DAZ and the other two big stores have presented in NINE years since Gen4 first appeared is so well established for many of us, it can't pay for us to keep up.   DAZ have literally got up, run off and left the majority of "Old Users" around these parts.  Since I am a Poser/Vue user, as stated, this new stuff is not doing me any good at all.  THAT SAID I do have over 100 items in my wishlist.  So we Poser users aren't totally abandoned.

McG.

Afraid your right as making anything from Daz work in Poser has become a major undertaking with a very little low success rate

I have bought a few things that were NOT intended for use in Poser.  Some of them work fine anyway, like Stonemasons Chinatown.  And some didn't.  If we don't want the challenge of making something work that isn't made to, we have to read that line "Compatable Software" carefully.  If Poser isn't stated, then it will probably not work. 

Robert, because of messes like these, I am feeling raw and ever more disinterested in the whole schmear.   Even if I leave these forums, I will still be over in alt.binaries.3d.poser man.  :) 

McGrandpa said:

Legs scaling is different, and produces a better looking leg while bent than MilHorse.  However, try to select ANY body part and then uncheck visibility.  It makes the whole thing invisible.  So what do we do, use transmaps to make the head and unneeded neck parts invisible?   THIS is the GENESIS horse!  Carrie58 is probably right the most part for WHY I prefer to use MilHorse.  There is already a plethora of stuff available for it, and I have a LOT of stuff for the MilHorse.  IF you are starting from scratch, it can make more sense to use Horse2 WHEN there is more stuff available for it.  Like a thousand or so skins sets, blankets, armor, tack and eventually someone will reinvent the DAZ Horse shoes which DAZ have so thoughtfully removed from their inventory.   Carrie ya summed up neat;  "The biggest difference I see . . ." which says not enough to be worth the money if you already have the MilHorse.  I now have both and still use MilHorse.  Thank you.

McG.

McG there is a remap of DAZ Horse2 ,so it can use all of the MilHorse textures ,if you want and I believe there was a clone morph made so you could use most of MilHorse tack,armour too .And there is actually a set of Centaurish horse shoes for the Horse2 .....but on the whole there is nothing wrong with liking and using MilHorse1 It's still in my stable and all the centaur morphs for it .

carrie58 said:

McG there is a remap of DAZ Horse2 ,so it can use all of the MilHorse textures ,if you want and I believe there was a clone morph made so you could use most of MilHorse tack,armour too .And there is actually a set of Centaurish horse shoes for the Horse2 .....but on the whole there is nothing wrong with liking and using MilHorse1 It's still in my stable and all the centaur morphs for it .

I still have the old DAZ Horse Shoes, and still use them, clunky as they are!   Where is this remap of Horse2?   I will check that out for sure, and those new shoes too.  Got links?  Also, without making TOO big a hullaballoo over it, I used to really enjoy this thread, swapping notes on how to and posting Centaur pics.  HEMI did create this thread FOR Centaurs.  Not necessarily those with just his kits, nor any others, not any specific software.  Centaurs.  We use what we want, and we have CENTAURS!   So I wanna post a few images I created, and try to get back into the FUN groove here.  :) 

McG.

Here is a pic I worked on using an older computer.  The old crate really struggled to get this image rendered.  I will try to rebuild the scene just as it was in 2008, spruce it up a bit, re-light it, get a new image or two.  This was the basis for the image that I entered in the Frazetta Art contest in 2008 that placed like 8th or 10th or something.  Now those were some really fun times.  I miss the camaraderie we all shared back then.  Everyone, user, vendor, ALL of us just jumped in and had a great time.  Lots of new stuff came out then, and HEMI had just barely released his first Gen4/MilHorse Centaur kits. And oh man did I ever have a ball playing with it all!  :o)

Xai with the all black coat was the actual entry.  The Xebra coat was the inspiration for it! 

Elf-05E_Centaur_10.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 187K
    edited October 2015

The Centauress - Warrior

10-Centauress - Warrior.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 131K
    Post edited by McGrandpa on

I created this Centauress to show HEMI's Centaur Top in use.  Can't have the ladies running around topless ALL the time, right?  ;)

Xai 5c 001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 72K

SO, do we remember waiting ever so impatiently for Michael 4 to be released?   I do, and it was like a crowd of fans doing a countdown for a new stage band appearance.  Yeah, I think I recall confetti and ticker tape too.  he he!

Xai_Ash_01.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 283K

Seems everyone lately has done a huntress Centaur.  I did some starting in 2008, and here is another from 2009.  Prae had just released a cute little number with a top that seemed to be just made for the gals here.  That set is Zephyrus.  It comes with a huge assortment of options too!  Check her stuff out, she makes great stuff.

Xai_CWRW-Bay_001.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 356K

And here is a kindly and lovely Cheyenne maiden.   Ah that must be Wounded Knee Creek.  Hmm. 

Xai_075.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 223K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242

Just took a look over at Philosopher's Egg. As I was pretty sure I remembered, Sparky's centaurs are indeed based on M4,V4, and K4, and support the base morphs for them. Don't know whether one can apply character morphs for those bases to the centaur base, but a head morph *might* apply.

He doesn't specify whether the horse portion is the MilHorse or not, and I wouldn't count on it, but it does look similar, and supports a heavy, thin, and emaciated morph out of the box. Comes with four colorways, Black, white, bay, and dapple grey. The human skin is toned to reflect this, but only the black is a perfect match. Bay and grey could probably be brought closer with tinkering in the surfaces tab, or material room or whatever. 

For that matter, someone released a male Centaur over on RDNA not that long ago, and Ali (of all those numbered hair sets) has a rather charming Centaurette on his/her own website.

And you're probably quite right. None of these are likely to be perfect solutions either. But they do eliminate the problems of having the figure split in the midle.

Ah, company comes a calling!  Some of my younger friends over for a visit.  I suppose that someday I will just have to make a 3D 'avatar' of me own self.  I am thankful M4 has a nice beard available!  LOL! 

Say, now that could be a fun challenge thread, if nobody else has started one for it.   An "Selfie Avatar" created by your SELF thread.  Hey, catchy no?  :D

Xai_Break_Xai_Tenshi_CRYSIS16.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 401K

This is an M4 Centaur, and believe it or not it is a M4 character by Gypsyangel, but I think I messed it up with that awful hair do.  So, I forget why, but he is scolding the V4/G4 Elf wearing Venom hair for something forgettable.  Heh!  This was the first Centaur I built after I lost my 786 gig Runtime drive.  I no longer keep a single runtime.  I have around 30 in use so far, all are to be no more than 23 gigs each.  That size will fit a standard BluRay writable disk.  Yeah, backitup, backitup, backitup and then do it again!   5 months later, I am stil reinstalling content.  SHEESH!

M4 002.jpg
    935 x 899 - 76K