The new Centaur 'n stuff thread - reloaded

Comments

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Jastamos said:
    Just for fun, here is my new image's series: Horse Wars (5 of 5)

Aw these are freaking AWESOME!!!! :o)

McG.

• sjstansbury519sjstansbury519 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Is there a morph for using the DAZ Horse 2?

• Tiger Lee ArtsTiger Lee Arts Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

no I just resized the neck on horse2 and tweek the v4 morph to make it work for now.

• sjstansbury519sjstansbury519 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

no I just resized the neck on horse2 and tweek the v4 morph to make it work for now.

Okay. Thank you.

I know that I could probably figure it out on my own but would you mind sharing some settings you use to do this? If you could do that I know that others including myself would appreciate you sharing the steps to this procedure.

edited December 1969

i dont remember the settings sorry i save the preset but that dosent aways show what the setting were to start with. i started with the neck 1 and 2 and hide rest of neck and head. i ajusted the size on the x,y ,z one by till i got what i wanted. thats the best i can tell you sorry i cant be more help.

• rgrinly_3c04c79a1brgrinly_3c04c79a1b Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

Just a quick "Head's Up" for centaur fans. There's a new M4/V4/K4 'taur models just released over on Philosopher's Egg site. They look quite nice, The models take a different approach, in that the equine parts are a whole new, separate figure..not based on any of the usual horse figures. I just purchased them and did a very quick and dirty render of the M4 one. One thing that's missing ( hint to more talented folks) is any basic poses for them..everything will have to be manually posed.

SparkyTaur_1.png
    1147 x 770 - 354K
    edited December 1969

Hello! I am trying to find the Philosopher’s Egg site, and neither google or yahoo produce any relevant links. And the only other currently popular 3D site not mentioned so far is DNA. Is that where you're talking about?
    McG. :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited February 2015

No, the site certainly exists, and has been around for several years. It's Kemp Sparky's site. There's a legacy content collection which is very nice to have, the goat morph for the DAZ sheep, and for the past several years the owner has been making a fine reputation on the basis of anthopomorphic creature morphs for gen4 figures. He used to make announcements in the forum here, but that was on the old forum some years back.

He also has some morphs for the HiveWire horse over on the Hivewire site, as well as a cat morph for Dawn.

There's no apostrophe in philosophersegg and no www preceding it, but it's a standard dot com.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited December 1969

Hi JOdell! Looking for that, am curious about his stuff now. Ahhh not finding any site so far. Will be looking for it along the weekend. I still have to get all the Animals stuff installed, including the MilHorse and MilBigCat. Then I can recreate most of my 'Taurs from saved morph pose files! :)

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,237
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    Hi JOdell! Looking for that, am curious about his stuff now. Ahhh not finding any site so far. Will be looking for it along the weekend. I still have to get all the Animals stuff installed, including the MilHorse and MilBigCat. Then I can recreate most of my 'Taurs from saved morph pose files! :)

sent you a pm

edited December 1969

here is the web sites for you guys
    http://philosophersegg.com
    http://hivewire3d.com

• rgrinly_3c04c79a1brgrinly_3c04c79a1b Posts: 97
    edited February 2015

Sorry Folks - I forgot to include a link in my post above. Wasn't certain how far DAZ liked links to other sites

http://philosophersegg.com

Plus, I fogot to say this product isn't a freebie..but it IS on special at the moment.

Post edited by rgrinly_3c04c79a1b on
  • IDontWantAGalleryIDontWantAGallery Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Would it be possible for someone to upload the modified files for horse 2 and G2F?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,946
    edited December 1969

Would it be possible for someone to upload the modified files for horse 2 and G2F?

Sorry TheGreenBaron there hasn't been a centaur morph created for the DAZ Horse2 ,or for G2F ,you could just make the head and neck parts invisible on the Horse2 and the play with the scale parameters to get it to fit to the G2F,her you have to scale down to 0,her legs and feet,then parent her to the neck1 of the horse ......

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,874
    edited December 1969

I'll just say that if someone makes some good centaur morphs for Genesis 2 and Horse 2, I'm lined up ready to toss money at you.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,946
    edited December 1969

I'll just say that if someone makes some good centaur morphs for Genesis 2 and Horse 2, I'm lined up ready to toss money at you.

I'm right there with you only I want for Genesis1 & 2

edited June 2015

Hey Hemi426!

Hope you are well AND happy!

Well, in Poser I find myself looking at a brand spanking new DAZ Horse 2. I think I will see what happens WHEN: 1) I try Gen4 Figures with it using your MilHorse kits, and then again 2) with Genesis 2 Figures! I mean the worst that can happen is transporter accidents, right? :D

McG.

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,948
    edited December 1969

:) Very interesting. Lets see if I can make some centaurs with G4 figures (M4/V4).

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212

Really late to the game, but a technical question...why couldn't there be two graft objects that mate to each other via simple parenting?

One graft to replace the human hips (I'm preferring Genesis here) and another to replace the neck of the Mil Horse, 1 or 2.  They could stack at the meeting point like a pair of plastic cups, in order to completely hide the seam.  Both grafts are designed with shared morphs to match each other's midline shape as close as possible.  A couple of carefully graded opacity layers and a few adjustment morphs should help with body morphs that don't match up perfectly.

Lower graft fit to horse.  Upper graft fit to human.  Entire human parented to horse's neck bodypart.

edited October 2015

One thing that was discovered a LONG time ago, was that in the process of making morphs and such in external modelers, we can NOT add to or remove from the actual mesh itself, not even one vertice or polygon.  If we DO then the whole mesh fails.  Utterly.  The programs will not even load the item AS the item it was and nothing works with it.

So, Hemi devised some ingenious and clever actions that keep the mesh intact.  He created poses and morphs for the MilHorse head and neck parts plus poses to just hide the humanoids legs and adjust the hips/glutes and then parent the humanoid to the horse, more pz2 posing to reposition the humanoid and rescale it, then we have the Centaur!  So where he could do some dial spinning, he did, where he could not, he made morphs.  He really worked hard to make it easy for us to have our Centaurs!

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • shanteshante Posts: 206

Sparky over at Philosophers Egg has a nice looking centaur for V4, M4 ans K4 that are composited the same way but with his own horse. They look good worth looking into if one does not have either of the MilHorses.

Here is an item most folks don't even think about any more.

http://www.daz3d.com/millennium-horse-le

McGrandpa said:

One thing that was discovered a LONG time ago, was that in the process of making morphs and such in external modelers, we can NOT add to or remove from the actual mesh itself, not even one vertice or polygon.  If we DO then the whole mesh fails.  Utterly.  The programs will not even load the item AS the item it was and nothing works with it.

So, Hemi devised some ingenious and clever actions that keep the mesh intact.  He created poses and morphs for the MilHorse head and neck parts plus poses to just hide the humanoids legs and adjust the hips/glutes and then parent the humanoid to the horse, more pz2 posing to reposition the humanoid and rescale it, then we have the Centaur!  So where he could do some dial spinning, he did, where he could not, he made morphs.  He really worked hard to make it easy for us to have our Centaurs!

I'm aware of the mesh order restrictions...and many of us tinkerers have probably learned that the hard way, particularly before DAZ gave us geografting.

I did try Hemi's K4 Foal set with a young Genesis and got pretty decent results.  Like others, I wish there was one out there that didn't require lots of fiddling about for each character change.  I still like G1 due to the power of nigh-infinite morphing, but it seems like this area is one of the rare tricks Genesis doesn't do with ease.

This reminds me of time spent in the young V4 thread.  Some very creative work going on and most of it for free.  Thanks to everybody contributing.  :)

I'm considering the PhilosophersEgg centaurs, though Hemi's stuff is doing most of what I want.  Anybody here know if they're what DAZ calls unimesh?  I made preteens for Mil 3 by blending the kids with the teens and am thinking I might be able to wrangle the K4 and M4 centaurs into one beast that would fit my Genesis needs.

I still have my LE animals in the barn with all the rest of my critters.  ^.^  Haven't even gotten the new DAZ horse...maybe in the next sale.

Ahh ok!  I thought you looked familiar.  I wan't in this scene as early as you.  When I should have got into mesh modeling I was still too busy having fun shooting up places all around In the Quakes and Unreals and then Half-Lifes.  Now, nobody is doing THAT and all those folks are using modelers of various make and having more fun that way.  I have the tools, perhaps it isn't too late to begin enjoying them.  Two terms you use lost me.  "Mesh Order" and "Geografting".   Not being a modeler and following those respected forums, I suppose I missed far more than that!

McG.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,874
    Thankfully, I like centaurs clothed, which makes things easier. And you can then set outfits to collide with the horse part, helping immensely. I've also had luck setting man or horse to collide with the other half, helping to smooth the transition. It's just the textures I have to cover.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Thankfully, I like centaurs clothed, which makes things easier. And you can then set outfits to collide with the horse part, helping immensely. I've also had luck setting man or horse to collide with the other half, helping to smooth the transition. It's just the textures I have to cover.

Wides sashes/belts, shoulder bags and similar type accessories also go a long way to mask the transition.

Also, take a look at the thread on the new mertail...the technique for making the transition used for it, a geoshell, should also work for a centaur, too.

McGrandpa said:

Ahh ok!  I thought you looked familiar.  I wan't in this scene as early as you.  When I should have got into mesh modeling I was still too busy having fun shooting up places all around In the Quakes and Unreals and then Half-Lifes.  Now, nobody is doing THAT and all those folks are using modelers of various make and having more fun that way.  I have the tools, perhaps it isn't too late to begin enjoying them.  Two terms you use lost me.  "Mesh Order" and "Geografting".   Not being a modeler and following those respected forums, I suppose I missed far more than that!

McG.

By mesh order, I meant the numerical order behind the scenes.  All the polygons and points of 3D objects are described with coordinates in the geometry file, one-by-one.  This includes descriptions of part groups (abdomen, left foot) and surface groups (torso, face.)  UV texturing and Poser/Studio figures rely on those numbered coordinates to sort their output into what we see in the rendering programs.  When a mesh is edited and resaved, many 3D editing programs change those numbered descriptions too much if things are added or removed, which is the problem you described earlier.

Geografting is what we use to add horns, tails and extra arms onto figures.  It requires preserving a ring of polygons from the original figure with its original point numbers, in order to avoid the above problem.

I feel like an old gamer, too.  The last games I played heavily were Descent II and Diablo II.  Last first-person shooter I was into was Duke Nukem...no idea why most of the games I was into started with D.  I didn't get into DOOM, though!  lol

mjc1016 said:

Wides sashes/belts, shoulder bags and similar type accessories also go a long way to mask the transition.

Also, take a look at the thread on the new mertail...the technique for making the transition used for it, a geoshell, should also work for a centaur, too.

That is interesting.  I suppose the shell works like conforming clothes for the hybrid/grafted figure.

Speaking of clothes, I'm trying to avoid dynamics and finding I have very little in the way of female clothing that isn't either a bra or a shirt/tunic that goes past the waist, for Genesis, K4 or V4.  Most of the corsets even go too low.  Couldn't find anything in my library in-between that didn't look silly on a centaur – fantasy or modern.  I wound up hacking textures for the MFD to get something that only covered down to the belly without visibly intersecting the horse.

Just fiddling so I didn't have anything particular in mind, beyond making the filly decent.  She's too young for most armor.  I think I positioned the human portion lower than most of you, which made the transition fit better but is adding to my clothing issue.  Will have to try tweaking that, then give the shirt another go.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    VoltisArt said:

Speaking of clothes, I'm trying to avoid dynamics and finding I have very little in the way of female clothing that isn't either a bra or a shirt/tunic that goes past the waist, for Genesis, K4 or V4.  Most of the corsets even go too low.  Couldn't find anything in my library in-between that didn't look silly on a centaur – fantasy or modern.  I wound up hacking textures for the MFD to get something that only covered down to the belly without visibly intersecting the horse.

That's what the MFD does best...fill in when you can't find anything else to fit.  With the add-ons and the ease of retexturing it, I wouldn't worry too much about a wardrobe. 

Also, if you haven't looked try some of Wilmap's stuff...she has made a lot of Genesis items that could possibly be used.

https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=3

VoltisArt said:
    McGrandpa said:

McG.

By mesh order, I meant the numerical order behind the scenes.  All the polygons and points of 3D objects are described with coordinates in the geometry file, one-by-one.  This includes descriptions of part groups (abdomen, left foot) and surface groups (torso, face.)  UV texturing and Poser/Studio figures rely on those numbered coordinates to sort their output into what we see in the rendering programs.  When a mesh is edited and resaved, many 3D editing programs change those numbered descriptions too much if things are added or removed, which is the problem you described earlier.

Geografting is what we use to add horns, tails and extra arms onto figures.  It requires preserving a ring of polygons from the original figure with its original point numbers, in order to avoid the above problem.

I feel like an old gamer, too.  The last games I played heavily were Descent II and Diablo II.  Last first-person shooter I was into was Duke Nukem...no idea why most of the games I was into started with D.  I didn't get into DOOM, though!  lol

I did get into the Descent series, and Wing Commander.  As for Descent, my and my 2 oldest kids got to play with the game engine that would later be used in Descent.  It was compiled for the Atari ST's and simply named "Interplay.exe".  Even then it was fun, interesting.  I never could sink my teeth into Diablo, but did great with Wolf3D.  The Dooms, Quakes, Unreals and Half-Lifes were lasting fun because of online multiplayer.  Capture The Flag and Deathmatch.  Heh!   These days there seem to be 3 types of gameplay left I am not interested in.  Sports, Squad based and MMU.  I still play HL2DM on the few servers still running Deathmatch.  :(

McG.