Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, Jamahoney and Atlantis for your comments.

I’m going to try what you suggested Jamahoney – lowering the mountain and combining the 1st and 4th pics, but 1st I want to try David's grass tutorial.

Jamahoney said:

Experience has told me that one can be forever changing this and that in a picture, and getting nowhere fast – particularly with the unlimited variances that Bryce has to offer. However, one has to STOP eventually, and take the plunge.

I agree with you. I worked on this Bryce scene for 3 weeks. I still have no clue how one aspect relates to another for eg. the ambience color in the material with the global ambience color. I’m still in the ABC stage. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

@ Jamahoney – I like the scene ---- are you going to share the animation here?

@Atlantis – lovely render. poor kitty.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

In a nutshell: Global Ambience is a global control. Set it black and no matter how you set it in a material, there won't be any. Same for the sun shadows. Set it to 0 and no light source will ever cast shadows, no matter how you set it. Best is to set global ambience to white and sun shadows to 100. Then control the ambience effect for each material and the shadows for each light source.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2012

A relighting project. This old scene http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3134&mode=search relit with new TA lighting following the method described here Bryce 20 minute scene lighting project - Using IBL with boost light and TA gels - by David Brinnen

Edit. Oh yes, shockingly, the boost light is giving me so much contrast I'm having to use material ambient to take the edge of it! Image that, me using material ambient for ambient light? Boost light - all the old rules are turned on their head.

bathroom_sink6v5bb2_remake1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 138K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited September 2012

Ufo Encounters....

I always liked "Close encounters of the third kind " and one of my favorite scene's is right after Roy Neary had its encounter at the railroad crossing... You see a country side landscape with roads..and Neary speeding to the location where more UFO's are sighted... in this scene you suddenly see a big round shadow gliding over the landscape....

This render is inspired by it....

@David... awesome... could be a picture from my bathroom..

regards: Atlantis

ufo.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 51K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
    edited December 1969

In that case Erich, you keep your bathroom sink a lot cleaner than I keep mine.

Nice render, I like the spaceship model in particular but on my monitor many details are lost.

edited December 1969

@ David... Yes its a very dark render... but that's how it has to be.. The space ship is built with bryce torus ubjects stretched X-axis flattend and twist Y-axis then ctrl-d 10 times...material is misc / Funky / weird

edited December 1969

Fair enough Erich, I can't argue with that, and the space ship really does look excellent. OK a bit of a departure for me, I've dug out Wings3D and been mucking around with it while test scenes render in the background. Again TA optimised radial lights (actually, no here I used cylindrical lights) and boost light all wrapped up in one of Rashad's fine additional primitives working here as a state for my floating "thingy".

Blue_cube_room1.jpg
    900 x 506 - 192K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

A relighting project. This old scene http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3134&mode=search relit with new TA lighting following the method described here Bryce 20 minute scene lighting project - Using IBL with boost light and TA gels - by David Brinnen

Edit. Oh yes, shockingly, the boost light is giving me so much contrast I'm having to use material ambient to take the edge of it! Image that, me using material ambient for ambient light? Boost light - all the old rules are turned on their head.

The render looks awesome, David!

Using material ambience to take the edge off is just fine. In fact, that is exactly what material ambience should be used for, that little minor tweak at the end of the calculation to fill in those places the GI has still managed to shortcut. TA isn't unbiased so it will still arrive at the wrong answer sometimes even visibly wrong such that a little extra help is needed.

All the rules have their proper exceptions. Ambience is only evil if it prevents people from digging deeper into indirect lighting effects. Once one figures out how to get going in the right direction material ambience becomes indispensable.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2012

@Mermaid

”are you going to share the animation here?”

Yep, eventually when finalised – usually as a link to a YouTube vid (for some unknown reason, including the YouTube-view option that was enabled in the last Bryce forum setup has been turned off in the current forum setup. I think?).

Animations are a different animal to still renders – in that, if you use fancy lighting techniques (lights, soft shadows setups...etc.,), models, primitives, increased resolution, then they will never be finished as they take just too much time. No offence to renderer’s here, however, when I see some waiting some 5 to 10 hours for their Bryce creations to finish; with animations, however, it’s usually in the 20 to 24 hours for an ani’ to finish. And that’s just one section of a fly-through, of a much longer, final animation. Like all renders, however – still or ani’ – the rewards are always revealing, if not unusual and unexpected.

That’s the attraction of animations, I think, because while stills – as in, one final rendered image only - can give you a scene from the best angle that the renderer has chosen, the animation option can sometimes give one an all-round view of a scene – in effect, a real 3D. I’m sure that there are renderers here who would like to present several angled views of a single Bryce work they’ve worked on. But don’t, because they aren’t into animation, or, additional views might look repetitive or boring. For this forum member, anyway, they wouldn’t be, as I would love to see several-viewed aspects of many of the wonderful renders so far presented – including your own.

As to suggestions for your own work(s): please don’t feel like they are the correct options; as all works – presented by both amateur or professional – eventually comes down to how one feels about them as finalised. That’s the hard part, I think, because it really is in experience of looking at other renders, images, paintings...etc., that one decides to present a work ‘as is’, or at the level one ‘is at’. Either way, it gives one confidence, and better’s one into making further works for the future. The creative process is so addictive, and so much a release into the sub-conscious.

Hope this helps? And look forward to seeing further works by you, and, of course, others, too! Wish I could contribute more images myself, but the slow, ani’ bug (‘monsters inside me’) has got a hold, I’m afraid ;)
    Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    Ufo Encounters....

I always liked "Close encounters of the third kind " and one of my favorite scene's is right after Roy Neary had its encounter at the railroad crossing... You see a country side landscape with roads..and Neary speeding to the location where more UFO's are sighted... in this scene you suddenly see a big round shadow gliding over the landscape....

This render is inspired by it....

@David... awesome... could be a picture from my bathroom..

regards: Atlantis

Erich,

Very nice but not a set piece.

That film had a major influence on my work.

I love it absolutely.

Also i like your render which tends toward true realism rather than staged drama.

Your render is perhaps as it should be, if it was a frame in an animation. Not high contrast [dark] - so i need to tilt the screen of my laptop see all the details.

I have to use my laptop because my workstation is rendering out a MegaScene right now [ i have only one wireless broadband stick and it aint now on the other puter]. It is good to have 2 puters - actually 4 because when Bryce renders it uses on half of one computer [ 2 threads out of 4 ].

OK, have fun and kind regards form OZ.

Peter

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

As a Bryce render contribution, here's one of my my Comic Rhino scenes: "A rhino came by......." Tired of waiting for man to explore the universe with their hulking, troublesome machines, bureaucratic bumbling and infighting, the black rhino as taken matters into his own hands and set out to find new worlds....

[inspired partly by the Album cover of "Surfing with the Alien" http://www.satriani.com/discography/Surfing_With_The_Alien/
    (song can be head at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OK7sS855M ),

But I much prefer the Satriani song "Flying in a Blue Dream", which suits the exploring rhino more:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsgv_X_cV8&feature=related

HDRI from Horo (Tech probe corridor lights)
    I will be working through those materials tutorials some more as the wonderful models of Richard Jeferies - rj001 (Deep Space Explorers 2008) are not being shown off to their best by the standard Bryce textures even with tweaking. Even with IBL the ship looks somewhat plastic!
    Thanks for all the Great Bruce tips and info in the Bryce Forum , folks!
    Keryn

CosmicRhino-katana1sml.jpg
    1483 x 938 - 81K
    edited September 2012

The curiosity probe should have landed in the Cydonia region of Mars, close to the giant mars face, cause in a remote hole these creatures live.. lol...

creatures made with wings3d

mrsspcs.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 123K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

slick work guys

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

keryna said:
    As a Bryce render contribution, here's one of my my Comic Rhino scenes: "A rhino came by......." Tired of waiting for man to explore the universe with their hulking, troublesome machines, bureaucratic bumbling and infighting, the black rhino as taken matters into his own hands and set out to find new worlds....

[inspired partly by the Album cover of "Surfing with the Alien" http://www.satriani.com/discography/Surfing_With_The_Alien/
    (song can be head at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OK7sS855M ),

But I much prefer the Satriani song "Flying in a Blue Dream", which suits the exploring rhino more:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsgv_X_cV8&feature=related

HDRI from Horo (Tech probe corridor lights)
    I will be working through those materials tutorials some more as the wonderful models of Richard Jeferies - rj001 (Deep Space Explorers 2008) are not being shown off to their best by the standard Bryce textures even with tweaking. Even with IBL the ship looks somewhat plastic!
    Thanks for all the Great Bruce tips and info in the Bryce Forum , folks!
    Keryn

Oh I do like this, love the humour
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

@ Horo – thanks for your explanation about ambience and especially the shadows. I was playing with the preset objects and sky in one scene and found that I had no shadows and wondered by. I will check the sky lab for that scene.

Jamahoney said:
    @Mermaid

As to suggestions for your own work(s): please don’t feel like they are the correct options; as all works – presented by both amateur or professional – eventually comes down to how one feels about them as finalised. That’s the hard part, I think, because it really is in experience of looking at other renders, images, paintings...etc., that one decides to present a work ‘as is’, or at the level one ‘is at’. Either way, it gives one confidence, and better’s one into making further works for the future. The creative process is so addictive, and so much a release into the sub-conscious.

Hope this helps? And look forward to seeing further works by you, and, of course, others, too! Wish I could contribute more images myself, but the slow, ani’ bug (‘monsters inside me’) has got a hold, I’m afraid ;)
    Jay

It’s always cool when one gets feedback and suggestions even criticisms as they are the only way to learn anything. I welcome, appreciate and look forward to any comments on my work and thank those who take the time to do so. One learns from ones mistakes and the mistakes of others too.

I would one day like to try animation in Bryce. I look forward to seeing your animations and from the others too.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ @tlantis:
    Great spooky series! I like especially 'Sad Sadie' and creatures in the mud.

edited December 1969

The creatures in the mud are very nice? Well, in a slippery sort of way. OK I decided to try and combine my grass method Bryce grass terrains - a 25 minute tutorial by David Brinnen with TA optimised radial gel lights Bryce 20 minute scene lighting project - the Xyzrgb Stanford Dragon - a tutorial by David Brinnen I knew it would be punishing in terms of render time. 28 hours later...

Xyzrgb_dragon_closeup2.jpg
    900 x 506 - 231K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2012

@David..."28 hours later...", it's a curse waiting for a render to finish. Isn't it! But love how it looks in the end - still or ani'.

'Am following all your latest vids..thank you SO MUCH (yeah, I know, boring comment, at this stage), but I don' think you realise how these vids are helping us 'noobs' to be better developers and renderers for the future. So, again, many thanks!

Have tried several, so far, and while it's a task, at times, to follow each step involved (given that one can always rewind the vid to see what's happening, what one needs to do); having two computer monitors - an oldie modified - is so much handy.

Cheers
    Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@David - the bathroom sink looks very clean. Light is great, almost clinical. Is that a shot from a hospital?

The "thingy" is excellently lit, also the parts that are usually sparsely lit.

The xyzrgb_dragon on the grass looks gorgeous. It's rare you have the nerve to wait 28 hours for a render. Light is excellent.

edited December 1969

@Erich - the Ufo encounters is a bit on ttha dark side, but it looks very good. It is not easy to get a dark scene right, you did it.

The creatures in the "Cydonia region of Mars" have a very "Gigeresque" look to them in this light. Another excellent dark shot.

edited December 1969

@keryna - that spaceship looks great with the astronaut on it. This gives a nice sense of scale. Great use of the specular convolved CorridorNight HDRI. It is nice to see it put to good use.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

The creatures in the mud are very nice? Well, in a slippery sort of way. OK I decided to try and combine my grass method Bryce grass terrains - a 25 minute tutorial by David Brinnen with TA optimised radial gel lights Bryce 20 minute scene lighting project - the Xyzrgb Stanford Dragon - a tutorial by David Brinnen I knew it would be punishing in terms of render time. 28 hours later...

28 hours eh? Well now, you have 8 cores and I have 2. I notice that for the most part my times are approximately 4X slower then yours. So I think I'll pass on combining the grass and dragon because if it took you 28 hours it'll take me close to a week. That's just way too long for someone with only one computer to work with.

edited December 1969

Another tribute to Gary Larson...

This one is one of my favorites and real hilarious.. lol

galar.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 89K
  • edited September 2012

Ha ha, Just waited 19 hours for a Multi-Replicate to finish! See mine to Horo in this thread.

Very nice David! Well it is what i would expect from one of the true Bryce Masters of Lighting. I like the specular wet effect at the mouth of the dragon too. Looks like you used TA and a semi-transparent Material for the grass? If you also used soft shadows, then 28 hours is not all that surprising. I have followed your latest Grass Tutorial so i have an idea about what you may have done here. BTW i absolutely am addicted to your tutorials. Must be your Pommy voice Hahaha. But whatever, i really love them and also for their technical content.

Just an idea here. If your puter has 8 threads, use the 4 quadrant rendering method we both have discussed previously [you have an excellent tutorial on that - Pan V and Pan H]. Bryce takes 2 threads for each Sector to render at the quality that you like to have. That will give you a render time of 28/4 = 7 hours. Then assemble with your image editing application. You could also consider dividing up the grass section in the bottom two quadrants into more sectors like say 4 along X [since i expect they will take the longest].

Also maybe consider another crazy idea. Realistic Grass Blades made with MetaBalls [a la Michael Frank] and converted to Mesh and then further converted into Composit Plates of clumps [halves the number of surfaces the rays have to pass through]. You may even bypass the Mesh Phase. You could go straight from groups of MBs to Composit Plates, because MBs render perfect object masks. It is long winded i know [and is only suitable for set piece work were you don't mind the pre-production time] but it allows you a MegaScene with very little render time [compared to what you have now] and the grass will look super realistic even though it is made up of layers of 2D pictures. You can distribute the "grass" [2D pictures] with the ARDL [IL] on an uneven ground surface with the normals all facing your camera [which looks better than grass on a flat plane randomly orientated - but optimum camera angle for the scene needs to be established in the beginning]. By coincidence i am working on that now for the next part of my tutorial. But i am using Trees [not grass] files which i have already prepared 2 weeks ago.

Nuff of my ramblins.

Kind regards

Peter

Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well here's my latest render.

capsules2.jpg
    800 x 446 - 33K
    edited December 1969

I was delighted today to find out that the image (using DOF) that was voted into first place in the New Users Contest was a Bryce image

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=506&aid=17014_m6LjEGXODCg1GgRT1XA5&board_id=1

Thankyou again David for the tutorial on DOF.

edited December 1969

Hard to believe this is a Bryce render. The flower is awesome.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

It is a beautiful render. Well deserved winner.

edited September 2012

You did well with yours too Wendy, I think everyone did well with this one, which wasn't an easy one, but we can only give 3 prizes

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

LHD - I need to get me some of those pills! Great Image.

Chohole - Wow, I agree with Horo, doesn't look like a Bryce image. Superb work and a well deserved win!

This discussion has been closed.