The Mac FAQ

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2015

Ok so I just saw the reason why it crashes...apparently it doesn't work with any version of MAC above 10.7 and im running 10.10. 

Has anyone created an update for this program so Yosemite users can use it?

If you bought Bryce from the store within the last 30 days then you can get a refund for it, by using the contact us button and filing a help ticket to sales dept.

BTW Bryce lightning is for setting up a render farm, it is not the actual program.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

My work around for this was to get a MAC from around 2011 (with Snow Leopard 10.6.8) to install Bryce on. It's great to have this program back! I put a great deal of time and research into finding a solution- testing several other similar programs and trying to hunt down the guys that created the program before I truly realized what I had to do.

I lucked out that the old MAC was handed down to me from my parents. Their MAC had Yosemite on it and I also lucked out that I still had a disk with Snow Leopard on it. It was pretty difficult to go backwards with the OS. Before my parents offered their old machine I was searching the refurb websites and was finding prices of around $400.

I use dropbox to transfer files between my two MACs (exported files from Bryce) and it has been great to have a second computer to watch the news or Netflix while I'm working.

• GezmoGezmo Posts: 18

Here is another solution I use. I have a USB disk with a bootable Snow Leopard version on it (USB 3, 1Tb, $70) and all my 3D software. I carry this arround and can use it on any Mac available. Just plug it in, boot from it and my entire 3D environment is available. Works like a charme.

The big advantage is that you can use a brand new powerfull mac to do your renders on if you have one available.

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152

Having trouble running Decimator on my Mac.

I see the DIM has installed it, but when I go to the WINDOW/PANES (TABS) menu I do not see Decimator as an option. 

I Tried using the DIM to uninstall it and reinstall it, but that didn't fix the problem.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

In Help > About Installed Plugins, is Decimator listed, and have you added the serial number?

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152

In Help > About Installed Plugins, is Decimator listed, and have you added the serial number?

That worked. Thank you. :)

• grwit75grwit75 Posts: 1

Just downloaded Bryce 7 Pro but as stated it will not run on OSX 10.10.3

Will there be an update to fix this issue any time soon?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    grwit75 said:

Just downloaded Bryce 7 Pro but as stated it will not run on OSX 10.10.3

Will there be an update to fix this issue any time soon?

Depends on your definition of soon, hasn't run on anything past 10.6...

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

So, in addition to the myriad other issues Im having of late, Daz Studio has taken to crashing when I quit it.  Not everytime, but most of the time.

I'll finish what I'm doing, save it or not, and Cmd Q to quit.the window goes away and the icon stays in the dock for a few moments, then it either also goes away or more often crashes and tosses the Crash Report up on the screen.

I've also started to see the visual distortions that sometimes happens after using iray several times when I'm not and haven't been using iray, but 3delight.  I don't know if they're related issues or not.

Visual distortions usually means bad videoboard (I've had a few iMacs mac MacBookPros with that, usually due to dust in the videoboard fans preventing heat from going which causes overheating. And for the crash, can you post a crashlog here, I might see what's going bad.

I was trying to envoke the crash...couldn't.. then remembered "hey, grap it from the console"

http://pastebin.com/bMAV4tFv

it crashes deep in OpenGL Driver, so it doesn't sound like a DS bug to me, but more like an overheated GPU.

edited September 2015

But it's only Daz Studio having the issue..nothing else is being affected?  And in these cases (as opposed to the Iray crashes) are happening when the program is closing..

Can you show me what part of the log is telling you that?

Post edited by Scavenger on

My best guess on this stack trace yes, but you don't see that with other program using GPU hard?

This is either that, or DS is sending bad GL stack commands to the graphics card, which would cause more people to crash.

1. Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

2. 0   libsystem_kernel.dylib              0x00007fff8ab5a866 __pthread_kill + 10

3. 1   libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff888fb35c pthread_kill + 92

4. 2   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x00007fff88d21b1a abort + 125

5. 3   libGPUSupportMercury.dylib          0x00007fff899e31ca gpusKillClient + 111

6. 4   libGPUSupportMercury.dylib          0x00007fff899e451c gpusSubmitDataBuffers + 161

7. 5   com.apple.GeForceGLDriver           0x00001234402f51f3 0x123440000000 + 3101171

8. 6   com.apple.GeForceGLDriver           0x0000123440306117 0x123440000000 + 3170583

9. 7   GLEngine                            0x00007fff8968e74f gleFlushPrimitiveTCLFunc + 784

10. 8   GLEngine                            0x00007fff895ab75d gleFlushAndSubmit + 38

11. 9   libdzcore.dylib                     0x00000001006a43a2 DzFacetShape::drawNTV(DzFaceGroup const*, DzFacetMesh const*) const +

Nope.. I mean, I guess the big graphics card stuff I do is this and then games, which of late is just Star Wars Old Republuic thru parallels.

Well, I know there's no Cuda drivers out for my card that I've been meaning to install..maybe that'll help.

On another thought..from reading a thread in Common about the new version of Lux which had gpu talk...I'm now very concerned about burning out the video card with Iray...so I may limit it's use to just character portraits when I like them enough.

It should survive, but the fan needs to cooling it according to spes, and with dust on in th fan it wont. When it comes to games, I know my son blasted his iMac when he was younger with starcraft II back when it was new. GPU overhearted, dust in the fan. 

edited September 2015

Hmm..I'm not sure I have fan access..It's pretty sealed up....

I try to use iStats menu to montior the GPU, but it doesn't seem to have GPU  usage meters..I have the GPU Die and GPU proximity monitored..but I have no idea what "hot" is vs "not hot"

Post edited by Scavenger on

I know - I recommend getting it cleaned at the local macshop, before the GPU really dies, as it is a new logicboard then, not fun at all.

Well, my iMac has another year left on AppleCare, so I guess I should make an appointment.

This, btw, is the distoriton I get after using iray...

Did 2 partial renders of a single figure testing shaders..watching the temp gauges, and they were in the 60's c. The seem to run normaly in the 50's.

Soon after taking the screen shop, had a full computer freeze, requirieing force (button) shutdown. :/

Screenshot 2015-09-05 01.41.51.png
    482 x 341 - 30K

That  looks like a classic memory error for the GPU.

In your experience, is it a.. hardware issue? or is it driver? case by case?

ASD doesn't come up with any errors.

Hardware error due to fan not cooling efficient enough causing overheating, that really only shows just when the system is running hard. Do you have iStatPro? It can show the temperature in the different zones.

I have iStat menus, with the GPU temps in the menu bar. I'll have to pay attention next time I see it.

I did just have the "daz crashes after I've hit quit" and the temps are 54/56 celsius...

I've grabbed some fan control software to try out next time I use it..

Well, when I next opened D|S, I got that distortion pattern again, and the GPU was dead cool..the first temp is the GPU die, the second is the GPU proximity sensors....

I did a system update, then ran both the Mac Hardware Test and the full battery of video & sensor tests from Apple System Disagnostics, which is all what Mac techs would use to look for problems..they all came up green/passed.  Ran the ASD in a multi cycles, and green each time (well, it failed the first time thru with "detect single monitor" because I still had my second monitor plugged in.  That seeams like a weird test to have...especially as the final test in the sequence..shurg).

My NVIDA Cuda driver was several months old, so I updated that as well, though my understanding that's only for CUDA tasks, and not regular usage...so..I dunno. ?:?

Screenshot 2015-09-07 20.45.58.png
    1444 x 602 - 152K

CUDA is only used for Iray though, and video glitches usually is hardware (or driver but as you have a Apple built in GPU Apple do provide drivers). And test program will very seldom find the glitches.  It really looks like VRAM errors, exactly like my old MacBookPro that is "giving up" and as my sons iMac that gave up from too much StarCraft.

Do you get those glitches without the second monitor plugged in, and do they appear on the built in or second monitor? Can it be that you use too much VRAM?  Is the VRAM dedicated on that GPU or just RAM used as VRAM? 

I only see it on the main monitor (the built in on the imac). I almost never don't have the second monitor hooked up, pretty much only when troubleshooting/testing performance issues when I unplug everything. It's connected by a HDMI -> Thunderbolt adapter. I've asked on mac forums if there would be better perfomance with the second unplugged, and the folks there said it was negligibel...which take it as it's worth.

The Vram is on the Nvidia card. I have no idea if too much is getting used.. While I can monitor RAM use and CPU use, the only thing I seem to be able to monitor on the Video card is the temperature.  The only other stuff I do that in theory that would be hitting it hard is Star Wars Old Republic thru parallels, as I mentioned..and to be honest, I can't recall if Parallels hits the video card or emulates everything.

And like in the screen shot above, it happens with Daz only, and not using Iray, so just normal running (in fact in that it was just opening the program). Likewise, the crash report above..that's in closing the program.....

This feels like problems with how the program is accessing the GPU, rather than it in and of itself...but as there have to be other imac users and it's not being talked about by others...

One thing that I thought of, how have you configured your interface / video setting in DS? Are you using per pixel shading or highest optimization? A long shot, but it can be an issue with that. What OS X version are you running? 

Let's assume I haven't configured my interface/video settings...as it's not ringing a bell :/

You know, I keep meaning to add my OS in the my sig... sigh.. its 10.9.5 -- Mavericks, because I hate how yosemite looks.

If you haven't touched them, you might be on no opt, which is very slow, try change them and see.