Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• Zone 822Zone 822 Posts: 30
    edited July 2015

I've seen the posts about broken links being fixed by replacing words since the URL's of old and new forums are very similar. For example replace "viewthread" with "discussion".

Obvious Suggestion: Use the same URLs as the old forum. Move the old forum to another location and change its URLs to match its new location (via automation/program). Then move the new forum to the old forum's location and change its URLs to match. Then old bookmarks, posts full of helpful links, etc. would not be broken. Also, the old forum would be around in case of disaster and maybe could even still be available online for us to search as a read only archive.

A similar way is how the implementation of the new forum should have been done from the start: move old, install new at old location, import data.

I can imagine three possibilities. Surely experts could do much better.

- Start Over: Remove the new forum, temporarily restore the old forum, proceed as in "A similar way..." above.

- Move and Change: Do what I suggested in "Obvious Suggestion".

- Redirection: Automatically intercept URL's for the old forum and send to the corresponding link in the new one.

Each has its problems and these are just large scale strategies. I realize that implementation would surely more detailed and complicated. I'd prefer "start over".

Changing the forum just after releasing Daz with Iray was a very bad business decision. Customers/users adapting to the new forum while trying to learn about the new renderer? Bad idea.

I agree with Rottenham. A manual is needed.

Well, it looks like I have to allow ajax.googleapis.com to use important features of the new forum. I was going to start participating here more but with a google thing necessary that will be rare.

Post edited by Zone 822 on
  • his xhis x Posts: 866
    Rottenham said:

When DAZ made the decision - right or wrong - to forego traditional user manuals, the forum became crucial.  Now it seems you have knowingly undermined the forum's value.  I doubt that DAZ realizes the damage they've done.  This is unfortunate.

I doubt DAZ cares -- their unspoken-yet-obvious additude towards those complaining about their latest "new and exciting!" stunt is so often "good riddance!"

Reallusion is hard at work improving their product, making it more relevant. It would only take one comprehensive professional third party user guide for iClone to eat DAZ's lunch.  They're already far ahead in animation.  Then it would be Reallusion saying "good riddance."  Lucky for DAZ, Reallusion has no books either.  They too depend on their forum.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    mjc1016 said:
    Spell checking and FireFox:  It does work in FireFox, if you are not running NoScript or allow all scripts to run on DAZ.  I think but haven't confirmed, it minimally needs googleadservices in addition to the 'normal' ones for DAZ allowed.  It does work without effort in Chrome (haven't checked Safari, Opera of IE).

Yes, that must be it, as I have googleadservices blocked...

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I've noticed that in a thread I started, even though the star is not highlighted, I'm still subscribed and getting emails.  I wonder how to unsubscribe if it's already marked as unsubscribed?  I tried subscribing then unsubscribing, we'll see if that works.

Spellcheck was working yesterday, I typed a misspelled word and it automatically underlined it with a squiggly line.  However this morning spellcheck no longer works.  (Although I am using NoScript, it doesn't appear to be blocking anything at the moment, plus as far as I know it was running yesterday when spellcheck DID work.)

mjc1016 said:

Because instead of being taken to the most recent post, like I was getting last night, I was taken to the last post I visited.  A much appreciated change.  It would have meant having to go back a couple of pages, after getting to the bottom of the last page...

Same here, a reply did take me to the last post this morning now, good.

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited July 2015

I have been reading though a lot of the posts (but not all).  And I have to say WHY in the world didn't you tell us this was comming beforehand?

There was some talk about this casually in another thread. They never said when it was happening.. but they did say a new forum was coming. and I posted then they should not break the forum links like they did with the last forum update. And of course they did it anyway.

and dont let them trick you into thinking its hard to make sure links don't break during updates...both times they updated the forums they could have made sure this worked and it was completely avoidable. Redirects for this type of thing are very common in the industry. Particularly when a company wishes to perserve content. In my world we always want to preserve the tens of thousands of pages of content...cause it makes us money...

now google will lose all those great helpful links and information since they didn't even put redirects in place for the content :(

Oh I am sure they could have tested and made sure beforehand.  Just like they didn't last year with the store update.  Update it, huge mess and just left it and slowly fix some things here and there, the rest just left (it is still a lot slower than the original and too BIG).  I would have pulled the new design, reinstalled the old one until the new one could be done properly.  But hey that is just me.

I haven't been around here long enough to know about the previous forum issues so that is interesting and perhaps there is actually hope for redirects and all of my bookmarks aren't dead for all time.

Post edited by dbdigital2 on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    MEC4D said:

I was just talking about that with a friend .. also I am getting all notifications and my mail box is crazy .. I would prefer one notification until I see the thread as before or my phone space will explode soon lol

Is there a way to actually read the comment when I subscribe to at thread without clicking on the hyperlink? There are times when I can't go to DAZ forums because the site is NSFW.

The old notifications, at least gave me a hint of what people were saying. These notifications aren't helpful, or am I subscribing wrongly?

"ProfessorX  commented on Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/856814#Comment_856814

I turned off email notifications...it was getting ridiculous!  Now, I just use the gear icon, click on My Bookmarks, and it shows which threads I've subscribed to have new messages, and how many.  My email inbox has settled down again.

Dana

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited July 2015
    sriesch said:

I've noticed that in a thread I started, even though the star is not highlighted, I'm still subscribed and getting emails.  I wonder how to unsubscribe if it's already marked as unsubscribed?  I tried subscribing then unsubscribing, we'll see if that works.

Spellcheck was working yesterday, I typed a misspelled word and it automatically underlined it with a squiggly line.  However this morning spellcheck no longer works.  (Although I am using NoScript, it doesn't appear to be blocking anything at the moment, plus as far as I know it was running yesterday when spellcheck DID work.)

mjc1016 said:

Because instead of being taken to the most recent post, like I was getting last night, I was taken to the last post I visited.  A much appreciated change.  It would have meant having to go back a couple of pages, after getting to the bottom of the last page...

Same here, a reply did take me to the last post this morning now, good.

Go to your profile and select notification and uncheck the ones you don't want

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

How large are the signature forum images allowed to be? 

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited July 2015

Thank you for the quick tutorial!  I'm able to look at all the recent posts now, per usual.

EDIT: And there's my signatures back as well. :)  And the sarcastic-looking smiley is gone!  Huzzah!

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    Zone 822 said:
    Obvious Suggestion: Use the same URLs as the old forum. 

URLs to threads are generated by the forum software they use, so I doubt they can change them easily.

On the other hand I agree that adding URL redirection before the new forum went live would have spared everybody a good number of complaints...

• Found it, thanks a lot!

No, wait.  In other threads I'm seeing people displaying images that look big enough to see, but using "Attach A File" only shows them as tiny icons.  What am I doing wrong?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    frank0314 said:

Go to your profile and select notification and uncheck the ones you don't want

It says I have no notifications at all.  (although that would appear to be incorrect, "My Discussions" indicates I'm currently subscribed to a few threads.)

Novica said:

I don't know, but you could just try attatching a really huge image and watch for the error message.  I just tried to attach an image in a discussion post, and it refused to do so and then stated that the limit was 2M, so maybe you'll get a number of if if you try the signature too.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2015

@DAZ_ann0314 I spent about 5 minutes trying to get the PM to work but due to my issues I can't ever submit PMs.

I have cleared my cache, cookies and tried different browsers.

Once I log in, the forum (ecom site is fine) keeps reloading over and over, Signing me in over and over. I can't do anything to stop it. But if i force stop loading the page I can sometimes get to content at the lower part of a page. The top part is always obstructed by the white box that goes behind the "we are signing you in" message. Because of this the white box that comes up blocks me from accessing icons and things. I cant send PM because its too high on the page. I can force stop the page load at the right time to post here because the page is long enough where I can scroll down past the white box.

when I stop loading the page I often get the "can't personalize data" blah blah error message.

@larsmidnatt
    Email me: [email protected] and I'll forward that to the webbies to take a look for you smiley I would grab it now but I have to head out for a Dentist Appt (YUCK) and I don't want to forget when I get back. 

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

I want an answer- why is the number of forum posts wrong? 

Did it delete posts?

Second, in the first paragraph, images are not addressed. Are you seriously telling me people can no longer post images unless they are hosted somewhere else? If that is true, Daz is pathetic. 

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

H: 100 pixels W: 1024 pixels

Novica said:

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    edited July 2015

No, wait.  In other threads I'm seeing people displaying images that look big enough to see, but using "Attach A File" only shows them as tiny icons.  What am I doing wrong?

If you use a url the image appears larger/original size. I'm wondering if it is possible to upload an image, get the image info from the thumbnail, and then edit the post to insert the image url; I just don't want to spam this thread with an attempt.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

OK email sent. thanks and good luckcrying

You can upload images using the Attach a File link bellow the text editor , I think I lost like 400 posts

Novica said:

Did it delete posts?

Second, in the first paragraph, images are not addressed. Are you seriously telling me people can no longer post images unless they are hosted somewhere else? If that is true, Daz is pathetic. 

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2015
    Novica said:

Did it delete posts?

i just upload two small pictures in my forum post eariler

namffuak said:

If you use a url the image appears larger/original size. I'm wondering if it is possible to upload an image, get the image info from the thumbnail, and then edit the post to insert the image url; I just don't want to spam this thread with an attempt.

use the testing thread lol

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    MEC4D said:

You can upload images using the Attach a File link bellow the text editor , I think I lost like 400 posts

Well for Pete's sake, it would bite me if it were a snake. Thanks Cath. BTW, I don't know if it was 400 posts that I lost, but that sounds about right. I wonder if that was a common thing for everyone? 

• Hi New to the forum so not very traumatized by the change... of course if all of my bookmarks are gone that might be a little depressing (haven't) tested yet). The new layout looks great on my phone, which I do most of my casual web browsing on anyway. Just a couple of simple questions that I hope aren't too OT... How do I turn off notifications entirely,and where do I change my store theme?
  • ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850

Is there a way to search member names or something? I need to PM someone whose member name I know, but God knows if I can find a thread he recently posted in so I can get a link to his profile.

--MW

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Is there a way to search member names or something? I need to PM someone whose member name I know, but God knows if I can find a thread he recently posted in so I can get a link to his profile.

--MW

If you know their forum user name then you should be able to just go to your inbox and post a new message, typing the name in manually

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Novica said:
    MEC4D said:

Well for Pete's sake, it would bite me if it were a snake. Thanks Cath. BTW, I don't know if it was 400 posts that I lost, but that sounds about right. I wonder if that was a common thing for everyone? 

I don't really pay attention to the number of posts I made.  Now and then I'll look at it and think, "I posted that much?"  But most of the time it doesn't matter to me.

Dana

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975

Attention! Please! laugh

(Swapped browsers for a while, so I can toy with the text editor options for fun, or others' pain.)

Hey web-tweaking or -twerking people, are we going to get "maturity" filters, so those of us who work in a place where ittybitty/some/a lot of swearing is not a taboo could see all those deliciously salty words?yesdevil

Best wishes,

Skiriki, She Who Profusely Swears in Code Comments.

Thank you to those who replied!  So I can only get it to display at a normal size by uploading it now?

You can only get it to display at a normal size by uploading it ​fom extern source 

Thank you to those who replied!  So I can only get it to display at a normal size by uploading it now?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Well for all the fancy schmancy Rich Text Editor options in the new post boxes the URL link set up still has no automatic parsing to put in a title to hide the hideous link?  REALLY??  Since I'm going to have to do that by hand, I guess, what format do I use then?  Thanks!

edited July 2015

Type the words you want to be a link title Select the words, for example MY LINK then add a link and you are done ...  much easier

I use  the fancy schmancy Rich Text Editor  for couple of years in my store , not so new

RAMWolff said:

Well for all the fancy schmancy Rich Text Editor options in the new post boxes the URL link set up still has no automatic parsing to put in a title to hide the hideous link?  REALLY??  Since I'm going to have to do that by hand, I guess, what format do I use then?  Thanks!

Post edited by MEC4D on