Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

It matters to me because I want to know if those 400 posts have been deleted! I spend a LOT of time typing up how-tos and helpful stuff, and don't want it poofed.

Question- are the image size restrictions still the same? 2000 x 2000?

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    tl155180 said:
    SimonJM said:

It make take a while, but as yet I have to say I am not a fan of the new forums

Agreed. Not only does it look horrible, but its also much less user-friendly in my eyes. I didn't need a FAQ on how to use the old forum, it was simple and I just dove right in. Now it just feels like a mess.

The main problem with this new forum design is that it is completely different from just about every other forum's look-and-feel that I've ever used. Things that are intuitive because we have been using them for 20 years since forum software like vbulletin first got started, have been completely re-designed for no apparent reason other than just to redesign them.  There's a reason why most forum software looks the same. Just like there is a reason like most spreadsheet software works about the same; most text editors work about the same.  People shouldn't have to learn a whole new system to do the same things they already know how to do.

I am used to bbcode-based forums. I know how to use them and know how they work. Even if DAZ's system were objectively 'better' (and it most definitely IS NOT), there would be no easy way to make a case that I should devote the resources necessary to learn a completely new system JUST for DAZ Forums, that will work nowhere else, when every other forum works the same way and requires no such special learning.

In short, I'm not sure who the DAZ guys think they are that they believe their forum is so special and important that I should bother learning how to use it, but I'm not really sure I want to bother. The ONLY thing keeping me here at all is that I often need help with all the undocumented features in the DAZ software and this is the only reliable place where I can get it.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited July 2015
    Hi New to the forum so not very traumatized by the change... of course if all of my bookmarks are gone that might be a little depressing (haven't) tested yet). The new layout looks great on my phone, which I do most of my casual web browsing on anyway. Just a couple of simple questions that I hope aren't too OT... How do I turn off notifications entirely,and where do I change my store theme?

Not sure about the store theme, but to turn off notifications entirely:

Click the gear icon in upper right corner
    click your user name in the menu

Click 2nd Gear icon somewhat near the upper right corner
    click "Edit Profile" > "Notification Preferences", then uncheck everything.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

It is possible , they may cleaned  some early old threads or got lost with the transition in the database , I think I had over 2.735 posts yesterday

Novica said:
    MEC4D said:

You can upload images using the Attach a File link bellow the text editor , I think I lost like 400 posts

Well for Pete's sake, it would bite me if it were a snake. Thanks Cath. BTW, I don't know if it was 400 posts that I lost, but that sounds about right. I wonder if that was a common thing for everyone? 

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515

Could somebody please tell me how to add back my Signature banner in "My Signature" ? I have read all the posts here and see some have managed it. There does not seem to be an 'attatch a file'  button/command only the URL image button.

Very confused, help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

smiley

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Above Post Comment button  

Could somebody please tell me how to add back my Signature banner in "My Signature" ? I have read all the posts here and see some have managed it. There does not seem to be an 'attatch a file'  button/command only the URL image button.

Cheers.

smiley

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited July 2015
    Wilmap said:

I don't like this new layout!

...I and many others are with you there.  I especially dislike it that the "quote" is in tiny blue letters (instead of a button) that makes it almost blend into the body of a post or signature (especially difficult to notice when links are just above it).  Clicking on it should also either immediately open an edit window or take you to the one at the bottom of the page.

Then there's the almost "invisible" star to click on to subscribe to a thread.

Not all of us are USAF or RAF pilots with 20-10 vision.

Formatting is terrible with a lot of "spillover" between elements such as long forum names bleeding into the text body window, long banners extending past the right border, and signatures appearing to be part of the main post.  It just looks "sloppy" and "amateurish" compared to both previous generations. as well as other forums I've been on.

Seems once again those of us with "real computers" are being treated as "second class" citizens as apparently (like with the store), the changes favour those with tablets and smartphones.

I have enough trouble being both dyslexic and arthritic using a "real" keyboard. No way can I use one of those miniscule "virtual" touchscreen "keypads" as everything I type will end up having squiggly red underlines.

..oh and one more thing, why in the edit window does the text look so elegant and clean but after submitting a reply, it looks too crowded and "clunky"?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    mjc1016 said:
    Wilmap said:

I don't like this new layout!

I have to say, it's not my favorite but it's kind of growing on me.

..yeah, for me like a rash after falling in a patch of poison oak.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Images brought over from the old forum have a decent sized thumbnail, but new images only get a tiny postage stamp. Please can new images be given bigger thumbnails?

Thanks.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    Chohole said:

Where did the DAZ Studio SDK forum go?

Where did the DAZ Studio SDK forum go?

It's now a child forum from the main DS forum

Is Daz going to add the animation forum as a child forum somewhere Chohole?

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    Zone 822 said:

I've seen the posts about broken links being fixed by replacing words since the URL's of old and new forums are very similar. For example replace "viewthread" with "discussion".

I'd just worked this one out, having been banging my head against 'Page not found' messages all morning.

This suggests one very simple and crude fix that might not get everything, but -- as far as I can tell -- would cover a lot of cases.

DAZ uses Cloudflare's acceleration platform, which supports wildcard-based URL forwarding. Setting up a rule to forward from:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/58890/

to:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58890/

would take about three minutes.

I assume that there's some reason why the DAZ web guys haven't done this already, though. Perhaps it wouldn't be so simple to handle links to individual comments, rather than complete discussions? Or perhaps there are older discussions that don't follow the simple mapping? Or maybe it's that CloudFlare's PageRules don't seem to support making a redirection as Permanent (301), which is what DAZ would want in this case.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

Seems once again those of us with "real computers" are being treated as "second class" citizens as apparently (like with the store), the changes favour those with tablets and smartphones.

Funny thing is it's not super grand on a phone either. I could see how it may be better, but its still quirky.

edited July 2015

I would love to see someone render something Iray by Daz on a smart phone, so why cater to them 

Funny thing is it's not super grand on a phone either. I could see how it may be better, but its still quirky.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2015
    Ivy said:

I would love to see someone render something Iray by Daz on a smart phone, so why cater to them 

Funny cause I was going to joke about rendering on a tablet myself. I think it boils down to the shift in eccomerce really. Even on sites you wouldn't expect it, a large percentage of visiters are coming from phones(30-50%). Daz sells impulse purchase product that is cheap and easy to buy on a phone. I guess they felt the forums needed to almost work on phones as well.

Generally speaking I use forums for knowledge and rarely use my phone for that...would be hard to follow a tutorial from my phone. So making everything super large isn't great for me.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

The only tablet i know that could even come close to running the daz program with be the Samsung ATIV Smart PC (By AT&T) and forget Ipad ..lol it barely view pictures let alone render one..lol

MEC4D said:

Cheers.

smiley

Thanks Cath for your answer but I do not see this option in my signature settings box. What am I doing wrong ?

MEC4D said:

Cheers.

smiley

Thanks Cath for your answer but I do not see this option in my signature settings box. What am I doing wrong ?

Click your signature settings link on the right side of your browser

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Cheers.

smiley

You need your banner image to be posted somewhere so you can use the Image code to provide a URL   Then you click on your name to go to your profile, click on the gear icon to get a drop down and then go to signature settings.  The image is inserted using the image command form the top of the type pane.

MEC4D said:

Ivy said:
    MEC4D said:

Cheers.

smiley

Click your signature settings link on the right side of your browser

Thank you Ivy, I do click that and I get the screen that I attatched a screen shot of on my last post. I can see no way of adding my banner, which is an image file on my computer. Feel very stupid and lost....this is a nightmare senario....crying

edited July 2015
    MEC4D said:

It is possible , they may cleaned  some early old threads or got lost with the transition in the database , I think I had over 2.735 posts yesterday

Novica said:
    MEC4D said:

You can upload images using the Attach a File link bellow the text editor , I think I lost like 400 posts

Well for Pete's sake, it would bite me if it were a snake. Thanks Cath. BTW, I don't know if it was 400 posts that I lost, but that sounds about right. I wonder if that was a common thing for everyone? 

..yeah, I was somewhere around 17,000 last I remember. 

..still wondering where my signature flutterbys went to.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

My Banner.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

No luck subscribing/unsubscribing to reset thread subscriptions to "off".  It seems as though if you start a thread, you will get all the email replies for life whether you are subscribed or not.

Chohole said:

Cheers.

smiley

You need your banner image to be posted somewhere so you can use the Image code to provide a URL   Then you click on your name to go to your profile, click on the gear icon to get a drop down and then go to signature settings.  The image is inserted using the image command form the top of the type pane.

Many thanks, Chohole, worked perfectly. Think I now need a lay down and a cup of tea....wink....phew !

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Thanks Cath, that works. YAY!  heart yes

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I don't understand how to manage my Inbox. All old saved messages seem to be marked as new. How can I clear that new status without clicking on each one to read it? Is there something like the forum has, to mark all as read?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited July 2015

OH... another issue I'm noticing... regardless of the advice of replacing one word in the older links with discussion/comment while the links now work... they take me to a thread that is COMPLETELY unrelated to the thread.  Quite annoying!  lol surprise

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Novica said:
    Second, in the first paragraph, images are not addressed. Are you seriously telling me people can no longer post images unless they are hosted somewhere else? If that is true, Daz is pathetic. 

Image attachments should be in the section on posting - I know we wrote it.

mjc1016 said:

Spell checking and FireFox:  It does work in FireFox, if you are not running NoScript or allow all scripts to run on DAZ.  I think but haven't confirmed, it minimally needs googleadservices in addition to the 'normal' ones for DAZ allowed.  It does work without effort in Chrome (haven't checked Safari, Opera of IE).

webspellchecker.net, I have that allowed but no ad services (nor, most of the time, Google itself)

No, wait.  In other threads I'm seeing people displaying images that look big enough to see, but using "Attach A File" only shows them as tiny icons.  What am I doing wrong?

Converted posts seem to get larger images, new posts don't

namffuak said:
    If you use a url the image appears larger/original size. I'm wondering if it is possible to upload an image, get the image info from the thumbnail, and then edit the post to insert the image url; I just don't want to spam this thread with an attempt.

Yes, this works - I have done it. Of course you have to leave the attachment in place, and it will look odd if the preview sizing is changed in future.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

Well, I am missing a lot of things:

- Search Forums Box (I can't believe that internal tester doesn't catch something so obvious)

- Notifications by e-mail just from my last visit. I don't want receive an e-mail for each post in a subscribed thread.

- An Upload tab in the Insert Image floating dialog box. There are one in CKEditor, so I think it was not implemented in DAZ Forums. If I can upload an attachment, why not just upload the image file with the insert image tool? Currently we need host the images externally to get this feature working.

- A full user profile.

- The ignore function is not working at all.

- A full message preview. This is basic and indispensable.

- Some missing formating tools in the toolbar.

I hope the Web devs can fix this initial issues s... well, asap!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited July 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    Spell checking and FireFox:  It does work in FireFox, if you are not running NoScript or allow all scripts to run on DAZ.  I think but haven't confirmed, it minimally needs googleadservices in addition to the 'normal' ones for DAZ allowed.  It does work without effort in Chrome (haven't checked Safari, Opera of IE).

webspellchecker.net, I have that allowed but no ad services (nor, most of the time, Google itself)

I'll have to check that, because I thought I did enable that one...

Nope, not goggleadservices...it's adroll that needs to be enabled, in addition to webspellchecker.net

But why?

Most browsers natively include a spellcheck option. 

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

? if the ability to edit that long list was fixed or not yet ... even a blank page with fresh typing put in was getting the error message about formatting.

? has anybody checked their "inbox" ... WOW ... I had DELETED all those PMs, why do I have so many in there now but more importantly, HOW do I get rid of these and all those other "notices" ... I for one do not require a life time's worth of messages store anyway thank you.