Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

:-) An electric arc between his finger an the top of the ignition plug could be a nice effect

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Couldn't help smiling when you tried to pose the little green alien David.:-)

Easy when you know how, but it does take practice.

Nice video though.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Oh, I love these green guys. Used them 3 times already:

http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2759
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2890
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3875

I only hate them when this site is down.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64: Uuh, that is really cool. I love it. No wonder, I am a Bryce fan and a comic fan. :-)

And "All Shook Up" is an Elvis song. :coolsmile:
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Excellent renders and lots of good ideas and information (looking forward to doing David's grass tut - stuff looks great!).

Here's my most recent.

This image started with a greebled cube done in AC3D (second image shows this object). Exported to Modo where the greebled objects were largely remodeled and material zones added.

Exported to B7.1 Mac and textured with all Bryce procedurals and Illuminated with "Use Sky" IBL (Q=1024), a slight amount of Sun and True Ambience (RPP=64). Took 38 minutes to render.

One interesting Mac note, since skies and terrains were never made multi core aware doing renders with neither really cooks! This is about the only scene I've done that consistently used 6 of my 8 cores. At 16 RPP this took about 3 minutes. Really nice to play with the costly Bryce stuff in a reasonable anoint of time.

greeble_cube_ac3d.br7_.jpg
    640 x 480 - 107K
    greeble_cube_800.jpg
    800 x 600 - 230K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - you have a beautiful banner, probably the best of us all.

edited December 1969

@Dan - great model, great render.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Yes Wendy, I am all fingers and thumbs in DS, I know it, but never mind. If it continues to talk to Bryce, maybe I will become more proficient. Here in this render I've had another go at posting the LGM and I've even got as adventurous as providing him with an accessory. That should explain why I can post pictures of Vicky here mostly because I lack the skill to dress her properly - or even at all. It took some patient instruction from Tony Bradt to help me get her in the splash screen image. Anyhow, never mind, seems to be working right now. The backdrop and a bit of ambient light is provided by Deep Space HDRI 2 and the special space gun effect is via two TA optimized radial lights and one TA optimised parallel light intersecting with an "invisible" infinite plane. No postwork. The effect was rendered separately for efficiency but was recombined in the same scene so I could have both TA and IBL side by side. Total combined render times, about seven minutes total.

Blaster6.jpg
    500 x 500 - 177K
    edited December 1969

That looks fantastic Dan - a beautiful quality to the materials and lighting has really brought out the fine detail in your model. I really like that little pulley section with the belt drive, reminds me of my cam belt...

The grass is a bit of a render hog, as you can probably guess, how bad seems to depend on a lot of factors, a small change in the lighting, camera angle, shadow casting, it can make all the difference. In case you have missed any, here's a link to my channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/davidbrinnen/videos

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

"Bryce goes up!" Nothing special, but was fun to make.

brycegoesupwithdof.jpg
    900 x 540 - 70K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Now I have the idea of making a snow globe with a snow plough in it, don't know why but the idea seems slightly humorous to me. :cheese:

Might be tough to find the right prop but another good option would be a snow globe with an old man pushing one of those snow blowers. :)

edited August 2012

Horo said:
    @LordHardDriven - the Shroom Castle looks as if it would belong there. The scene looks like a photograph. Very well done.

Thanks but most of the credit goes to David (creator of the scene used) and the rest goes to the creator of the Shroom Castle. What makes it work so well is that david's scene is essentially a hillside of differing rocks. The shroom castle has a prop that is essentially a mound or earth with rocks strewn about and the textures for that blend in nicely with David's materials in the scene.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

If I got David right, he will labour and create a video even in the (rare) case that it will be watched only by a very few. - not that he's going to do it for only the three persons mentioned. You're fully included in the audience.

Huh, well surely you know him better then I being as you two are essentially partners but I always figured what motivates David more isn't how many viewers he thinks he'll ultimately have (although obviously the more the merrier) but rather it's just the challenge of "Can I David Brinnen create an understandable tutorial that can teach people of resonable Bryce skill, how to do whatever it is I'm teaching, preferably in 20 minutes or less?" :)

edited August 2012

Electro-elvis, good use of DOF, it is the simple ones that are the best - well, that's my view. Complex renders are all very well, but a lot of the time I feel I'm just being impressed by the sheer complexity of them, like pointillism.

Mark, yes, I'm confident you will learn in 20 minutes - less if you speed up the video and listen faster.

Here's another little experiment with the TA rendering, now DS will talk to Bryce, I dragged Vicky over and then lit her with one TA optimised radial light R=255, G=60, B=25 and rendered with scattering correction and boost light checked.

Firey_Vicky1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 177K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Electro-elvis, good use of DOF, it is the simple ones that are the best - well, that's my view. Complex renders are all very well, but a lot of the time I feel I'm just being impressed by the sheer complexity of them, like pointillism.

Mark, yes, I'm confident you will learn in 20 minutes - less if you speed up the video and listen faster.

Here's another little experiment with the TA rendering, now DS will talk to Bryce, I dragged Vicky over and then lit her with one TA optimised radial light R=255, G=60, B=25 and rendered with scattering correction and boost light checked.

Ooh she's really glowing after your treatment, and you mananged to let her get dressed first. :red:

A question David. how would you make cats eyes in Bryce. Real cats eyes, like the ones you get when the light catches a cats eyes.
    edited December 1969

Do you mean cats eyes for the middle of the road or cats eyes for the head of a cat?
    I know the principle is the same but the execution may be slightly different.

As an aside, the bloke that invented the cats eye road stud came from Halifax (only a few miles from me).
    It is said that he got the idea whilst driving home one night and he literally saw a cat walking towards him...

... It is also said that if that cat had been walking away from him, he'd have invented the pencil sharpener.

edited December 1969

Hmm yes, well, there's no answer to that,

Cat's eyes, as in the ones found in a cats head.

Therre is a thread in the Commons and the guy is trying to get his female character to have eyes that shine like cats eyes, and I am sure it would be easy in Bryce. I intend to have a go, when people stop posting in the forum ,so I get some spare time, but I thought I would ask Davind how he would do it.

edited August 2012

OK, I've very quickly made a working cats eye in Bryce. All it consists of is a highly reflective concave surface with a highly refractive convex lens, all encased in a black box.

The easiest way to show it works like a cat's eye is by making a quick animation, so that'll take about 21 minutes [edit: it's going to more like 45 minutes] to render (4 seconds of animation). Then I'll load it into my video editing and upload it to YouTube.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

So, a tad longer than I anticipated... But who needs sleep anyway? :-)

A quick and very basic cats eye in bryce

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Mark / aka LordHardDriven,

I just wanted to remind you that I picked up the Atrium discussion in the Everything about Lighting thread. I provide the instructions you were asking for.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Electro, I don't know if my grass looks better than yours. But thanks for the compliment. Especially when I wasn't real sure what I was doing. And because of you, I did a bit of tweaking in the Instancing Lab as well.

Dave, I personally like your snow globes. I didn't notice the change of the snowman's expression until I looked at it a second time. It's well done in my book.

Dan, someone should scold someone for leaving that thing out in the weather. Mighty fine job.

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the grass I made so I spent much of today, Saturday, tweaking. First I adjusted the frequency in the Material Lab, then with the same frequency, tweaked the Terrain Editor and Instancing Lab. Rendered a strip at first then rendered the whole image. And it went on that way most of the day, though much of the time was waiting on the render. I then tried something different by adding an additional component to the texture. Not happy with that result, but that's okay. Here are three of the ones I'm happier about.

Lots_of_Grass_2_10.jpg
    800 x 468 - 52K
    Lots_of_Grass_2_8.jpg
    800 x 468 - 54K
    Lots_of_Grass_2_7.jpg
    800 x 468 - 41K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

"Bryce goes up!" Nothing special, but was fun to make.

I love it! So uplifting! :)

edited December 1969

Mark / aka LordHardDriven,

I just wanted to remind you that I picked up the Atrium discussion in the Everything about Lighting thread. I provide the instructions you were asking for.

Oh thanks, I didn't realized you moved it over there, I'll pop in there as soon as I can.

edited December 1969

GussNemo, upgraded from "tenacious" to "indefatigable" materials investigator - have you been called indefatigable before?

Right, Pam, well since Dave has offered you the physical solution, I will offer up a materials solution. I had a quick look on the internet and it seems the equivalent of the cat's eye effect in humans is "red eye" - with cats the iris can look iridescent (which would be an easy effect to achieve in Bryce 7.1 Pro - as you know? Bryce 10 minute material project - red pearlescent paint - a tutorial by David Brinnen, but when the eye glows... that according to what I've read is due to light being reflected off the back of the retina. So if glowing eyes is the aim,

1 - this effect is partially driven by global ambient.

2 - find Vicky's pupil.

3 - modify the material to these settings, particularly noting the material options "fuzzy" and "Additive" are checked and the shadow casting ones are not.

4 - this is the result.

Glowing_pupils.jpg
    700 x 400 - 106K
    Image2.jpg
    653 x 533 - 165K
    Image1.jpg
    744 x 430 - 239K
    Image3.jpg
    647 x 164 - 62K
    edited December 1969

Dave and David

Wow THanks to both of you. I shall have a play later (hopefully)

edited August 2012

chohole said:
    Dave and David

Wow THanks to both of you. I shall have a play later (hopefully)

You are welcome. As it happens I didn't manage to dress Vicky, clever DS 4.5 did it all for me - which is nice, because I don't really want to spend time learning how to use DS when I'm focused on tinkering in Bryce.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

And here with a TA scatter corrected boost light render using TA optimised radial lights. Render time 1 hour 30 minutes (thanks to all that semi transparent hair material).

Glowing_pupils2.jpg
    700 x 400 - 108K
    edited December 1969

Well I got this far in Bryce 5. Not sure how much they will actually glow in the dark, haven't tried that yet.

keeper_of_dreams_cateyes.png
    540 x 720 - 481K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Came across an old 2008 CD – the ones you get in magazines recently (3D World 2008 Ed., in case you’re interested) – and found some freebie models. Giving the old animation project (and comp., hardwares) a well-deserved break, came across this wonderful ‘bug’ model.

Decided to give the ‘bug’, and scene, a whole psychedelic look and feel to it. Took about an hour or so, and render time nothin’ really. Just keeping the renders in as a member. Okay, then, back to the ani., – components have cooled down by now :)

Jay

Bug.jpg
    1341 x 860 - 909K
    edited December 1969

Nice render Jay - more of a Scooby man myself though...

That women looks like a vampire Pam, your method looks good.

Rainbow Vicky effect - a 10 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

I'm heading in an entirely different direction.

Rainbow_Vicky1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 119K
This discussion has been closed.