DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I have LAMH, which I have never once had the opportunity to use, and according to what I have read in this thread, will no longer work if I install 4.8.

Not quite right — LaMH will not work in 4.8 if you leave the renderer on the new default Iray setting. All you need to do is look in Render Settings and switch the renderer back to the old 3Delight, which is still an option in 4.8 and in fact is updated to a newer, better version. A lot of people don't seen to have realised 3Delight is still there as an option, and isn't likely to go away any time soon.

And, as mentioned above, the hair it creates works just fine in Iray, once it is converted to actual geometry...

• EDMARTEDMART Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Use the Serial Number for DAZ Studio 4.6, it should be in your My Account > Serial Numbers.

thank you very much!

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited May 2015

Rendering with the caustic sampler on in Iray is crashing studio for me in 4.8 it was definitely working in the beta though.

Any Ideas? I figure there has to be some setting that I have switched on/off in the official build that I didn't in the beta that's borking things up

Edit

nevermind, i am stupid its something in the scene. Now i just need to find out what

Post edited by j cade on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Here's something I don't think has been mentioned yet in any of the Iray threads.

I'm having a go at lighting Imaginary House's Medieval Sewer; the actual lighting and materials conversion is all going fairly well so far, but I can't get the water to look right. In 3Delight, there's a diffuse texture for the grungy water colour, plus a bump map. When I apply the Iray water shader, I lose the bump setting and I'm not sure whether I need to use the diffuse map on anything.

On the same model, the lamps have a similar grungy, only semi-transparent glass. What's the best way to get the same effect if I use the Thin Glass shader — or should I be using some other shader? Everything I've tried so far leaves the glass crystal clear with the light bulbs fully visible inside, there's no fuzziness at all.

Ideas, anyone? Or pointers to some forum thread I might have missed?

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

I have LAMH, which I have never once had the opportunity to use, and according to what I have read in this thread, will no longer work if I install 4.8.

Not quite right — LaMH will not work in 4.8 if you leave the renderer on the new default Iray setting. All you need to do is look in Render Settings and switch the renderer back to the old 3Delight, which is still an option in 4.8 and in fact is updated to a newer, better version. A lot of people don't seen to have realised 3Delight is still there as an option, and isn't likely to go away any time soon.
    I know there is a new version of 3Delight in 4.8. What I did not know was that LAMH will work with it. Not sure why I thought it wouldn't, but it could be my own confusion. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

That said, there are still some things I am worried about.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Here's something I don't think has been mentioned yet in any of the Iray threads.

I'm having a go at lighting Imaginary House's Medieval Sewer; the actual lighting and materials conversion is all going fairly well so far, but I can't get the water to look right. In 3Delight, there's a diffuse texture for the grungy water colour, plus a bump map. When I apply the Iray water shader, I lose the bump setting and I'm not sure whether I need to use the diffuse map on anything.

On the same model, the lamps have a similar grungy, only semi-transparent glass. What's the best way to get the same effect if I use the Thin Glass shader — or should I be using some other shader? Everything I've tried so far leaves the glass crystal clear with the light bulbs fully visible inside, there's no fuzziness at all.

Ideas, anyone? Or pointers to some forum thread I might have missed?

For the water and the glass, you probably won't be able to use the diffuse textures with the Iray Uber...you may have to 'roll your own' material with Iray specific items in ShaderMixer.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

Spotted kitty: try ctrl-click on the glass shader and select 'ignore' for the second option. This preserves maps.

You may have to increase bump or displacement -- sometimes it sets to 0 (double check what the values were or adjust by looking at results)
    If you have displacement, you will almost certainly want to set Displacement SubD to 3.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Spotted kitty: try ctrl-click on the glass shader and select 'ignore' for the second option. This preserves maps.

I know about that, the problem seems to be that no matter what the bump min/max values were, when I apply the water shader it gets reset to 1.

Yes, I just checked, all the other materials in the entire scene had their bump values smashed to a default of 1. Now, is that 1cm or 1mm or...?

Can this be regarded as a serious failing in the shader application routine? How many other parameters does this kind of thing affect?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I know about that, the problem seems to be that no matter what the bump min/max values were, when I apply the water shader it gets reset to 1.

Don't forget that the new shader does not have the min max nor does the Iray shader "see" bump maps exactly the same way as 3dl. 1 is a good starting point (comperable to 100%) but odds are high your going to want to increase the bump no matter what setting it came in with.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

As a Windows 7 user, I have noticed that Microsoft has, by stealth I will add, installed a little program called GWX. This is a program designed to get you to upgrade to Windows 10 while it is still free. The reason I'm mentioning it is because it's becoming obvious that Windows 10 will soon be upon us, or it may be here already, so, how soon will you begin testing DS4.8 in Windows 10? In case any of us upgrade, I suggest doing it quite soon, then, if a new build is necessary, we can get it when Windows 10 fully comes out and be ahead of the game.

It could be that DS4.8 will be unaffected and it can be business as usual, however, if that proved not to be the case, there is a small possibility that 2 builds will need to be available, one for Windows 7 to 8.1 and one for 10. We shall see....

Forewarned is forearmed

CHEERS!

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

As a Windows 7 user, I have noticed that Microsoft has, by stealth I will add, installed a little program called GWX. This is a program designed to get you to upgrade to Windows 10 while it is still free. The reason I'm mentioning it is because it's becoming obvious that Windows 10 will soon be upon us, or it may be here already, so, how soon will you begin testing DS4.8 in Windows 10? In case any of us upgrade, I suggest doing it quite soon, then, if a new build is necessary, we can get it when Windows 10 fully comes out and be ahead of the game.

It could be that DS4.8 will be unaffected and it can be business as usual, however, if that proved not to be the case, there is a small possibility that 2 builds will need to be available, one for Windows 7 to 8.1 and one for 10. We shall see....

Forewarned is forearmed

CHEERS!

release of windows 10 is announced for 29.july.2015

edited December 1969

I see,

I think there are pre-release versions out now though. I like to wait till they get established before I get new versions of Windows.

CHEERS!

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited December 1969

Here's a slight issue: Right clicking a character many times doesn't give you the option to select the entire character, just a body part. After you select the body part, right clicking allows you to select the entire character at that point.

edited December 1969

Quick question: On Windows 7 how do I find the uninstallers for my old .exe Bitrock installed content? I still have all the old installers from all the content I got before the new way of doing things was implemented. What I'm wanting to do is uninstall all the older stuff from the Studio3 directory so that I can cleanup my content library and have everything from DAZ 3D installed via the DIM. I have a lot of stuff already downloaded in the ready to install section of the DIM, but with so much of it still installed the old way, it would be dumb to have two directories with the same content in both. I could manually uninstall, but that would be a lot of time wasted that can be saved using the uninstallers for each product.

edited December 1969

Some are located in C:\Program Files\Daz3D\DazStudio4\Uninstallers\. There used to be uninstaller shortcuts located in the Start Menu, but there only seem to be a bunch of 32bit ones there in mine now. There are also ones located in the My Documents\DAZ 3D\Uninstallers folder.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Some are located in C:\Program Files\Daz3D\DazStudio4\Uninstallers\. There used to be uninstaller shortcuts located in the Start Menu, but there only seem to be a bunch of 32bit ones there in mine now. There are also ones located in the My Documents\DAZ 3D\Uninstallers folder.

CHEERS!

It seems that a protection software I tried a couple of years ago did not recognize my uninstallers as legit files, and purged them from my hard drive! Unfortunate really, because that make a lot more work I'll need to do manually. I got rid of that protection software after a couple of weeks due to difficulties with using it. I now have far better protection.
  • swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Just started using, The new Iray Daz 4.8..

Great work Daz3D.

However has anybody else noticed uneven loading of the GPU when running the Architectual Sampler..

I am monitoring my GPU’s (a TitanZ and a Titan Black), using GPUZ, and GPU load keeps fluctuating between 0% then upto 99%, or any number inbetween, then back down again, over and over..

If I run with no Samplers chosen, which I presume is the Equivelent of a ‘Direct lighting Sampler’, I gett near 100% loading of the GPU’s constantly..

Its not a memory issue as the scene is only using 2gb of Video memory

Any insightd would be appreciated.

Cheers,

S.K.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

It seems that a protection software I tried a couple of years ago did not recognize my uninstallers as legit files, and purged them from my hard drive! Unfortunate really, because that make a lot more work I'll need to do manually. I got rid of that protection software after a couple of weeks due to difficulties with using it. I now have far better protection.

Oops, yeah, that's not good. At least you'll still be able to sort things out though.

CHEERS!

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Just started using, The new Iray Daz 4.8..

Great work Daz3D.

However has anybody else noticed uneven loading of the GPU when running the Architectual Sampler..

I am monitoring my GPU’s (a TitanZ and a Titan Black), using GPUZ, and GPU load keeps fluctuating between 0% then upto 99%, or any number inbetween, then back down again, over and over..

If I run with no Samplers chosen, which I presume is the Equivelent of a ‘Direct lighting Sampler’, I gett near 100% loading of the GPU’s constantly..

Its not a memory issue as the scene is only using 2gb of Video memory

Any insightd would be appreciated.

Cheers,

S.K.

I have two guesses. :) One that is how that particular sampler works, the other is that your cards are doing it to dump heat.

If you would please file a bug report, include the DUF file, and a list of what is in the scene we can take a closer look.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hi Spooky,

The Titans, will actually underclock themselves to reduce heat as opposed to uhhmmm, whatever this is.., They are also very well ventilated and are currently running at 81c, the titans can run at 83c before anykind of throttling occurs. (this throttling I have observed when I have used the Cards in Octane, for example).

Plus, as I said, using a non sampler option the cards will run continuously at 99% pegging, and at 83c, with only a little throttling of the Clock speed.!!

But I shall have a look at submitting a Bug report...It has behaved this way on three different scenes so far, so it appears to be a universal....'Feature''. :)

Cheers,

S.K.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited June 2015

I'm havin trouble trying to use the Nvidia card option in the advanced render settings.
    Up to now I obviously had the render running on cpu (I thought it would change automatically, learned the truth is different).

Now when I activate the GeForce GTX 660M and deactivate the cpu the render time is a second or two but shows only checkered nothingness. When I activate both it renders, takes much longer than the 3d-light and my computer tells me that the cpu is very busy so I assume the main workload is done by the cpu, which it should not.

Hope somebody can direkt me to what i do wrong. I tried with different items eg the DAZ material ball

for further explanations I add the log file:

log file last lines

WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend warn : Found no usable nodes in cluster
    Iray Render error: Invalid parameters (NULL pointer).
    Saved image: C:\Users\Annette Stenzel\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 2.43 seconds

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

How much RAM does your card have?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited June 2015

...OK finally got everything installed for 4.8 and just running a few tests. So far not seeing any issues others have mentioned about lights not working & such.

Not sure but it seems as if Iray is rendering a bit faster.

-----

ETA:

Well one annoying issue has returned. Getting the "white out" and "black out" of the application window when loading scenes as well as the "not responding" message appearing again. Wasn't happening with the last two Beta updates. I also have the most up to date video drivers so that can't be what is causing it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

This is kind of chinese for me, so I hope thats what you were asking for

altogether available are 4096 MB half of that dedicated video RAM GDDR5 (? its written in german, whatever the correct translation is for that)
    and the other half is provided by the system
    there are 384 CUDA kernel.

Thanks for the support

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Frank0314 said:

altogether available are 4096 MB half of that dedicated video RAM GDDR5 (? its written in german, whatever the correct translation is for that)

Thanks for the support

Only the dedicated Ram counts for Iray purposes.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited June 2015

Linwelly said:
    Frank0314 said:

Thanks for the support

ich habe die fast die gleiche Karte (660GTX). Wenn gleichzeitig der Monitor mitläuft, bringt sie in Iray nur was für sehr kleine Szenen - leider.
    Man kann mit OptiX noch etwas aus nur-CPU-herausholen.
    Ach ja, es empfielt sich auf jeden Fall, den Treiber zu aktualisieren - ggf. auch die Windowstreiber.

EDIT: Sorry for using German here

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Quick question: On Windows 7 how do I find the uninstallers for my old .exe Bitrock installed content? I still have all the old installers from all the content I got before the new way of doing things was implemented. What I'm wanting to do is uninstall all the older stuff from the Studio3 directory so that I can cleanup my content library and have everything from DAZ 3D installed via the DIM. I have a lot of stuff already downloaded in the ready to install section of the DIM, but with so much of it still installed the old way, it would be dumb to have two directories with the same content in both. I could manually uninstall, but that would be a lot of time wasted that can be saved using the uninstallers for each product.

When I used the old installers I stupidly didn't let the installer create the uninstallers (it was an option). Since I'd only organized poses which were no problem to delete by hand, what I did to cleanly uninstall the other stuff in My Library was to reinstall using the original exe installers and allow them to create the uninstallers. So all was reinstalled replacing itself. :)

Then I ran all the uninstallers.

Presto Chango cleaned out My Library.

edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Linwelly said:
    Frank0314 said:

Thanks for the support

ich habe die fast die gleiche Karte (660GTX). Wenn gleichzeitig der Monitor mitläuft, bringt sie in Iray nur was für sehr kleine Szenen - leider.
    Ach ja, es empfielt sich auf jeden Fall, den Treiber zu aktualisieren - ggf. auch die Windowstreiber.

Danke für die Info und den Tip, die Treiber hatte ich schon aktualisiert.

Switching back to english: so if my grafic card is to weak / old / has not enough RAM that will result in a null render?
    It would be nice if there was some kind of warning ( maybe with the next update :))

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    lee_lhs said:
    Linwelly said:
    Frank0314 said:

Thanks for the support

Switching back to english: so if my grafic card is to weak / old / has not enough RAM that will result in a null render?
    It would be nice if there was some kind of warning ( maybe with the next update :))Not usually. Normally it will fall back to CPU. It just won't use the card.

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    lee_lhs said:
    Linwelly said:
    Frank0314 said:

Thanks for the support

It would be nice if there was some kind of warning ( maybe with the next update :))Not usually. Normally it will fall back to CPU. It just won't use the card.

ok as I deactivated the cpu for the test it couldn't fall back

next question comes alongside, what would be requirements for a grafic card that runs smoothly with Iray
    Probably has been answered many times already, so I gladly take a link there.