edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    lee_lhs said:
    Linwelly said:
    Frank0314 said:
    How much RAM does your card have?

This is kind of chinese for me, so I hope thats what you were asking for

altogether available are 4096 MB half of that dedicated video RAM GDDR5 (? its written in german, whatever the correct translation is for that)
    and the other half is provided by the system
    there are 384 CUDA kernel.

Thanks for the support

ich habe die fast die gleiche Karte (660GTX). Wenn gleichzeitig der Monitor mitläuft, bringt sie in Iray nur was für sehr kleine Szenen - leider.
    Man kann mit OptiX noch etwas aus nur-CPU-herausholen.
    Ach ja, es empfielt sich auf jeden Fall, den Treiber zu aktualisieren - ggf. auch die Windowstreiber.

EDIT: Sorry for using German here

Danke für die Info und den Tip, die Treiber hatte ich schon aktualisiert.

Switching back to english: so if my grafic card is to weak / old / has not enough RAM that will result in a null render?
    It would be nice if there was some kind of warning ( maybe with the next update :))Not usually. Normally it will fall back to CPU. It just won't use the card.

ok as I deactivated the cpu for the test it couldn't fall back

next question comes alongside, what would be requirements for a grafic card that runs smoothly with Iray
    Probably has been answered many times already, so I gladly take a link there.

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/67520170-System-Recommendations-for-DAZ-Studio-4-

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    lee_lhs said:
    Linwelly said:
    Frank0314 said:
    How much RAM does your card have?

This is kind of chinese for me, so I hope thats what you were asking for

altogether available are 4096 MB half of that dedicated video RAM GDDR5 (? its written in german, whatever the correct translation is for that)
    and the other half is provided by the system
    there are 384 CUDA kernel.

Thanks for the support

ich habe die fast die gleiche Karte (660GTX). Wenn gleichzeitig der Monitor mitläuft, bringt sie in Iray nur was für sehr kleine Szenen - leider.
    Man kann mit OptiX noch etwas aus nur-CPU-herausholen.
    Ach ja, es empfielt sich auf jeden Fall, den Treiber zu aktualisieren - ggf. auch die Windowstreiber.

EDIT: Sorry for using German here

Danke für die Info und den Tip, die Treiber hatte ich schon aktualisiert.

Switching back to english: so if my grafic card is to weak / old / has not enough RAM that will result in a null render?
    It would be nice if there was some kind of warning ( maybe with the next update :))

Not usually. Normally it will fall back to CPU. It just won't use the card.

ok as I deactivated the cpu for the test it couldn't fall back

next question comes alongside, what would be requirements for a grafic card that runs smoothly with Iray
    Probably has been answered many times already, so I gladly take a link there.

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/67520170-System-Recommendations-for-DAZ-Studio-4-

Well that would have been the place I shoud have looked first, Thanks

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited December 1969

From the page you linked:

"System Recommendations for DAZ Studio 4+"

"For graphics applications 32GB of RAM is a good minimum"

Really? What percentage of DAZ Studio 4 users meet this standard as a "good minimum"?

- Greg

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited June 2015

Really? What percentage of DAZ Studio 4 users meet this standard as a "good minimum"?

- GregIt is a good recommended minimum, that does not make it the minimum amount you need to run the software. That list is more "if you are shopping for a new computer, keep these things in mind."

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

- Greg

There are a lot of people that are only using 8GB of RAM and get by just fine. The 32GB is just a good benchmark for optimal performance.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...system memory does have some bearing based on how complex a scene one creates. For example I tend to create fairly busy scenes often with a lot of high quality texture maps, reflectivity, transparency maps and heavy geometry as well as render in a fairly large format. With only 8 GB (actually 7 GB "available", as Windows and system utilities usually take up about 1 GB) many of the scenes I render would crash the process. I've seen render files (3DL) swell to as large as 10.5 GB (I have a total of 12 GB and am looking to upgrade to 24). As my system is older, I only have a 1GB Nvidia GPU so I am unable to take advantage of GPU rendering in Iray.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

Then.... no more information about Image Editor? at least a clue where is it in DS4.8. I beg your perdon if it point was cover enough in past threads but I would be grateful with some information or link with information.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Left click the image then look at the third option down from the top.

• LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Can anyone tell me actually how does the Iray Decals work...I've been messing around with it this morning to no avail

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited June 2015

I've been away far to long, and I have some house-keeping Items on my agenda that need to be straightened out before I move to 4.8.

Mesh Smoothing ("Lock Distance"), Where did it go!? It's kind of critical for getting shirts tucked into pants, and stuff.

I fussed with trying to get the setting to appear a month back. And removing mesh smoothing ant putting it back, did nothing. This evening I finally had a chance to sit down, and try just loading some stuff I know had it before, and wow. It's there in 4.7, however the same exact item is missing it in 4.8.

I have a mountain of notes to go threw, so I'm sure there is other stuff I'm just don't have on my mind right now. Especially regarding others questions regarding 3delight (the new one), and the incapable CUDA cores in the GeForce 8600. I had done some posts regarding this stuff, I just need to see if the questions a few pages back were answered or not, and to locate my former posts on the topics.
    (EDIT)
    I Just updated the "Public Build" to the latest version (As Daz_Spooky) hinted at a few pages back, for those that are not ready to give up 4.7, and "Lock Distance" is still M.I.A.

MeshSmoothing_LockDistance_48_WTHDIG_001.png
    1065 x 695 - 118K
    MeshSmoothing_LockDistance_002.png
    1313 x 892 - 241K
    MeshSmoothing_LockDistance_001.png
    1313 x 892 - 240K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

- Greg

There are a lot of people that are only using 8GB of RAM and get by just fine. The 32GB is just a good benchmark for optimal performance.agreed Daz_Spooky and Frank. Just an FYI from someone that prefers my signature phrase (in my signature). I have 32GB, and am wanting 128GB last year. Also for some stuff, this CPU is willfully inadequate, and I'm looking for a way to cram at least sixteen of them in this computer. (3delight dose not use CUDA cores, and some HD figures are incredibly painful to set up scenes with them in it).

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Left click the image then look at the third option down from the top.

Thanks Khory, curiosity satisfied. I find it... and now understand because the number of lines of description about this :-/

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I've been away far to long, and I have some house-keeping Items on my agenda that need to be straightened out before I move to 4.8.

Mesh Smoothing ("Lock Distance"), Where did it go!? It's kind of critical for getting shirts tucked into pants, and stuff.

I fussed with trying to get the setting to appear a month back. And removing mesh smoothing ant putting it back, did nothing. This evening I finally had a chance to sit down, and try just loading some stuff I know had it before, and wow. It's there in 4.7, however the same exact item is missing it in 4.8.

I have a mountain of notes to go threw, so I'm sure there is other stuff I'm just don't have on my mind right now. Especially regarding others questions regarding 3delight (the new one), and the incapable CUDA cores in the GeForce 8600. I had done some posts regarding this stuff, I just need to see if the questions a few pages back were answered or not, and to locate my former posts on the topics.
    (EDIT)
    I Just updated the "Public Build" to the latest version (As Daz_Spooky) hinted at a few pages back, for those that are not ready to give up 4.7, and "Lock Distance" is still M.I.A.

Lock distance is still where it was you just haven't got Show Hidden Properties ticked in the 4.8 and have got it ticked in 4.7.

edited December 1969

(EDIT)

Lock distance is still where it was you just haven't got Show Hidden Properties ticked in the 4.8 and have got it ticked in 4.7.Thanks scorpio64dragon, now I feel stupid, lol. Not only did I forget about that setting, It took a bit to remember where it was 'Hidden', :red: lol.
    (not the right-click menu in the parameters tab. Left-click the other one with the funny equals-sign icon).

MeshSmoothing_LockDistance_48_ShowHiddenProperties_001.png
    939 x 593 - 26K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

3delight , render setting, Editor, I find "post process script" switch.
    (I do not remember clear, it was in 4.7 too or not)
    anyway, what it is? how to use? or where I can get knowledge the post process script?
    I am now reading ,3deligth user manual,, but I could not find about post process script,,

If it is script for 3delgiht rendering option? or daz script?

(or daz must offer me do,,,,,,,,,,ts,,, )

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

When I used the old installers I stupidly didn't let the installer create the uninstallers (it was an option). Since I'd only organized poses which were no problem to delete by hand, what I did to cleanly uninstall the other stuff in My Library was to reinstall using the original exe installers and allow them to create the uninstallers. So all was reinstalled replacing itself. :)

Then I ran all the uninstallers.

Presto Chango cleaned out My Library.

I always thought that 'create uninstaller' was ticked by default. One thing I have noticed is that, having merely ported over my libraries to this machine and only reinstalling the main figures, I actually am in the same boat as you in that I don't have uninstallers for much of my old content. Mind you, I don't use the DIM and I'm quite happy with where everything is anyway.

CHEERS!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Just posting to reestablish my sub to this thread... sigh...........

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

You don't need to, there's a thingy to the right of the thread title you can click to subscribe or unsubscribe to the thread.

CHEERS!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

There are a lot of people that are only using 8GB of RAM and get by just fine. The 32GB is just a good benchmark for optimal performance.

Myself included...wow, why is 32GB listed as the recommendation? That may discourage users who are perfectly capable of rendering decent scenes with 8GB and a moderately good graphics card.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

You don't need to, there's a thingy to the right of the thread title you can click to subscribe or unsubscribe to the thread.

CHEERS!

Too many clicks and with how slow and sludgy this forum is most of the time these days it's much more time limiting to just post a quicky!

edited December 1969

3delight , render setting, Editor, I find "post process script" switch.
    (I do not remember clear, it was in 4.7 too or not)
    anyway, what it is? how to use? or where I can get knowledge the post process script?
    I am now reading ,3deligth user manual,, but I could not find about post process script,,

If it is script for 3delgiht rendering option? or daz script?

(or daz must offer me do,,,,,,,,,,ts,,, )

My apologies If I get your Question wrong. I'll make an attempt at a start to an answer. I'm curious as well.
    "Scripted 3delight", vs "Post Process Script".

"Scripted 3delight" is for using the "All Out" version of 3delight, especially with a "Cluster of 3delight machines". This option is in the top under the "Engine" thing. There has been some discussion of this switch around in the past, I think in the 3delight threads.

"Post Process Script" has something about sending renders off to "Photoshop" or something like that. That is all I can vaguely remember about that.

There is two "Script" options in 4.8 that understandably can be quite confusing at first. Here is the screen-caps of them.

48_NonScript_PostScript001.png
    543 x 829 - 37K
    47_Script_001.png
    534 x 576 - 23K
    47_NonScript_001.png
    588 x 591 - 29K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

"Scripted 3delight" is for using the "All Out" version of 3delight, especially with a "Cluster of 3delight machines". This option is in the top under the "Engine" thing. There has been some discussion of this switch around in the past, I think in the 3delight threads.

Not quite. It is how you can access features of 3Delight that are not normally available in Studio. The standalone 3Delight is not needed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited June 2015

Rob does give an overview of the Post processing script option here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54058/P435/#799099 It lets you run a script to modify the render [strike]before[/strike] after saving. Edit to fix error.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited June 2015

[strike]Just where are the Nvidia iRay shaders located? I downloaded/installed Studio, yet it's hidden...BTW I use custom install paths for content, yet it still uses the same structure as the default, so...
    Thanks in advance!

[/strike]

Found it under my "Beta Install dir" but how do I use it inside DAZ Studio?..

Otherwise, after nearly ten years with this program, I am still mentally blown away over each consecutive update since my Post DS 4Adv/Pro install, and to be able to uffkin' render a scene in a free program with the same professional quality (Even surpassing) Keyshot's ever bloated priced program is unheard of in the digital realm of 3D art!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited June 2015

Hi zarcondeegrissom
    thank you try to answer ;-)

then yes I know render Engine = "scripted 3delight" options, but I do not think they are useful for my purpose.
    and sometimes tested it, but I do not have good idea when I need. (and not clear about each setting)

about "post process scirpting"

I imagined, it may help composit work after render , ( usually I use gimp, or picasa, for simple composit)
    then I hope to test "the scirpts", but I could not find good example, or scirpts in web.

then,,, Rob overview was,,,

The premise being, a script executed at the end of a render (or more specifically, a render save) that can use the entire DAZ Studio API to accomplish a post-render-save task. Given all that is possible with the DAZ Studio scripting API (which we extend quite frequently), this feature is extremely powerful. And it’s implemented in a renderer agnostic way, so it can be used regardless of the render engine used to produce the image.

I do not know how powerful DAZ studio scripting API to modify rendered 2D image,
    (than gimp filter, or picasa ? ) then hope to see good case.

eg I think,, it can auto add text ( signature or rendered date ,,or talk etc)
    on the position where I decide, with farovrite font, by daz scirpt?

if it can do more than 2d paint tools ,(only need import image and add filte etc)
    or make it auto, I think it is powerful, but Is there real good usage?

I think, it can not access each rendered obj or actor , or only shadow parts,, etc
    because, the script may only work about rendered image.
    eg if it can auto detect where we need mozaic filter and can apply where we need only ^^;?
    what is so extremely powerful? ( just hope to see actual case)

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • rf2016rf2016 Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

I have read that this update has many problems with plugins. So can I downgrade to 4.7 after updating?

edited June 2015

I have read that this update has many problems with plugins. So can I downgrade to 4.7 after updating?You'll need to back up the zip from your 4.7 install first, before you try to install 4.8, other wise it's gone forever... to the best of my knowledge.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/829199/
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...where do I find this in Windows?

By default it will be in the Public Documents>DAZ 3D>Install Manager>Downloads folder. If you've changed the download location it will be in that folder.

...OK, think I found it. Does "IM00013176-02DAZStudio47Win64.zip" sound correct? Date 11/18/2014. Also copied the .dsx file.

Expected the .zip to be larger than 109MB though as the Daz 4.8 Public Beta .zip is twice the size..

Still not seeing a DIM installer for the General Release "Shaders and Lights", just the "Beta 1 DS" content.emphases by me. It should be in the folder DIM puts the zips, assuming you let them stay there. Copy that zip to some place else, so there is still a copy when DIM deletes the one in it's folder for the 4.8 install.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    edited December 1969

Myself included...wow, why is 32GB listed as the recommendation? That may discourage users who are perfectly capable of rendering decent scenes with 8GB and a moderately good graphics card.

32 GB is overkill. OTOH, I'm seeing too many of my simple scenes go over 10 GB while rendering to say 8 GB is good. Currently, I'd have to say the entry level is 16 GB and a low-end Nvidia card. And the problem with a low-end video card is that the render will run for a noticeable length of time AND if it is the only video card the monitor becomes unusable for anything while the render runs (I have a GT 740 with 384 cores and 4 GB - and while rendering, even solitaire is unplayable).

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    edited December 1969

I have read that this update has many problems with plugins. So can I downgrade to 4.7 after updating?You'll need to back up the zip from your 4.7 install first, before you try to install 4.8, other wise it's gone forever... to the best of my knowledge.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/829199/
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...where do I find this in Windows?

By default it will be in the Public Documents>DAZ 3D>Install Manager>Downloads folder. If you've changed the download location it will be in that folder.

...OK, think I found it. Does "IM00013176-02DAZStudio47Win64.zip" sound correct? Date 11/18/2014. Also copied the .dsx file.

Expected the .zip to be larger than 109MB though as the Daz 4.8 Public Beta .zip is twice the size..

Still not seeing a DIM installer for the General Release "Shaders and Lights", just the "Beta 1 DS" content.emphases by me. It should be in the folder DIM puts the zips, assuming you let them stay there. Copy that zip to some place else, so there is still a copy when DIM deletes the one in it's folder for the 4.8 install.

Don't forget the plugins! If you only copy the Studio installer for 4.7 you'll not have the 4.7 plugins for re-install.

• LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

I have read that this update has many problems with plugins. So can I downgrade to 4.7 after updating?

I think most if not all of my Plugins installed but one issue which I found was that the DLM installs DS 4.8 to the same folder as the Beta versions but the 'Exe' file from the Product Library creates a new folder albeit inside the Daz 3D folder (i.e Old Beta folder 'Daz 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build' but the 'Exe' file creates 'Daz 3D/DAZStudio4) - I've explained this to the Tech Department particularly as I don't like using DLM as it is convoluted for my system with no real control.

The upshot is that at least one of my Plugins was an Execute file with no option for redirection and was looking for the old Beta folder 'DAZStudio4 Public Build'. I simply recreated that folder but left it empty, the plugin stalled there complete with it's sub-folders and I simply moved it to the newer install folder without a problem.