DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Does Shader Mixer (and presumably Shader Builder) even work for an Iray render? I thought they were 3Delight-only functions.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited December 1969

In the beta builds I was able to make some changes to the tone_mapper without it restarting the render(the settings next to the render window). In this final release, any / every setting change causes the render to restart from beginning.

Not good.Yes. NVIDIA made a change, we are trying to work around it.

So a change was made to the render core for the full release, with no beta testing. Not good.

Works in the Canvas mode. And if the only canvas you are using is the beauty pass that should work again.
    I looked a that.

In a test scene/render (indoor, low lighting). I have convergence ratio set at 98% / 10,000 samples.

With canvas mode disabled. I get 98% convergence with 7433 samples and usable render result.
    With canvas mode (beauty pass) enabled. Convergence ratio will not pass 0.04%, so 10,000 samples are made. The result is not as clean as previous result, and not really usable, it would need more samples.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I notice that Daz Studio 4.8 doesn't hang when rendering Chic Hair like Studio 4.7. Yay!

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited May 2015

I have not tried with iray shader mixer bricks, but alredy there are many blicks for iray in shader mixer.
    they are labbeled as language MDL. it seems for iray. some blick work for both (labeled language MDL,RSL)
    that means we may use shader mixer to makeor modify for iray I believe.

If you apply iray uber shader and ,import from scene,, you may find many MDL blicks .
    http://www.nvidia-arc.com/products/iray/mdl.html

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Does Shader Mixer (and presumably Shader Builder) even work for an Iray render? I thought they were 3Delight-only functions.
    In the beta there were bricks for Iray in Shader Mixer.

I have not tried with iray shader mixer bricks, but alredy there are many blicks for iray in shader mixer.
    they are labbeled as language MDL. it seems for iray. some blick work for both (labeled language MDL,RSL)
    that means we may use shader mixer to makeor modify for iray I believe.

If you apply iray uber shader and ,import from scene,, you may find many MDL blicks .
    http://www.nvidia-arc.com/products/iray/mdl.html

Yes...there are bricks for each system.

My problem was that when I tried to import a material from the scene it wouldn't work until I changed the render engine to 3delight and then it worked fine. That is why I would like more info on the changes that have been made for this version and how it impacts on Shader Mixer.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

@pendaria
    I see,, if it happen to me, and if I can find which case the problem happen, I may try to add report in your topic too.
    could you reproduce it?

At current,,with keep render engine Iray, my simple shaders can import from scene in shader mixer.
    (I add some blick and tweaked,, then import again, or pasete to current surface etc)
    I use windows 64 bit ver, with AMD card and, set CPU only for I ray.

but I see some shut down , when I close one of my shader. (but can not reproduce, and can not say clear when it should happen or not)
    I feel shader mixer ,sheder builder need to save many times. or I lost every work often ^^;

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

@pendaria
    I see,, if it happen to me, and if I can find which case the problem happen, I may try to add report in your topic too.
    could you reproduce it?

At current,,with keep render engine Iray, my simple shaders can import from scene in shader mixer.
    (I add some blick and tweaked,, then import again, or pasete to current surface etc)
    I use windows 64 bit ver, with AMD card and, set CPU only for I ray.

but I see some shut down , when I close one of my shader. (but can not reproduce, and can not say clear when it should happen or not)
    I feel shader mixer ,sheder builder need to save many times. or I lost every work often ^^;

When I attempted to reproduce it...it crashed the program. Haven't had time to have a serious play with it as I'm writing reports for school for the next couple of weeks. If I haven't heard anything by the time reports are finished I'll have a more serious play with it to see if I can work out what is happening.
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Hiya!

A tech-ignoramus here, seeking an idiot-proof advice on how to get the DS 4.8 without messing up, so please bear with me.

1. Can I install DS4.8 on my external drive? I don't want to lose my trusty old 4.6 - installed on the local drive - it plays beautifully with my Carrara 8.5, and both Luxus and Reality plugins without a glitch, and that flexibility has been a life-saver.

2. If I can keep 4.6 on the local drive, and 4.8 on the external one, what's the situation with that PostgreSQL CMS-Valentina thingy in that case? I have kept Valentina all this time, partly because my track record so far in introducing changes in DS has been catastrophic :red:, but mostly because the info on the dazhelpdesk pages advices against migration from Valentina for those who use Carrara 8.5 in tandem with Studio, which is what my case is.

I do not use install manager, I instal everything manually, don't use smart content either (I know, I am a daft dinosaur, but it took me ages to fine tune the system that works for me and changing it does not bear thinking about it :red: )

I would really like to play with 4.8, not just for Iray, but for the new 3Delight build too, but would really, really, really want to keep the old 4.6 as well. (Hell - I have even kept the old DS3A , just in case)
    Can it be done?

Many thanks in advance, and again, my apologies for being the dunce of the class :red:

The short answer is no.
    The longer answer is that having two releases from the same release channel (Release or Public Beta for example) read from the same preferences, configuration files, etc. This can and does cause conflicts and instability. It is neither supported nor recommended.

You can have both DS 3.x and DS 4.X installed on the same computer just not two 4.x versions, or two 3.x versions.

Now, having said all that, you can have DS 4.6 Release and DS 4.8 Public Beta installed on the same computer and they should not conflict.

Oh yeah, and they will share the same database. We do highly recommend that database be PosetgreSQL.

Thank you , DAZ_Spooky.

I was afraid that might be the case, but still hoping something might be tweaked to make it possible, sadly, it doesn't look that way.

I'll try to see if I can still get the latest Public Beta, and make do with that.
    Since the Beta requires Instal Manager (which I do not have), do I have to get the latest DIM installed first? Will the PostgreSQL have to be installed for Public Beta 4.8?
    And will it conflict with Carrara 8.5 that still uses Valentina? If I understood the info on the daz help desk page correctly, Carrara 8.5-DS users are advised against change over to postgreSQL.

Many thanks (and, yes, I am apologizing again for most likely winning the Wally of the Week dumb awards on the forum)Carrara 8.,5.1 uses PostgreSQL (It is released), I will have to get that page changed, it is obsolete now. Note DAZ Studio 4.8 will still read Valentina, but we switched to PostgreSQL for stability issues, between DAZ 3D's Content Management Service (Used by Install Manager, Carrara 8.5 and DS) and Valentina, that we couldn't get resolved.

Yes, you will have to install Install Manager to install the Beta.

Thanks for the clarification, DAZ_Spooky. Evidently many users never got the news that Carrara 8.5 uses PostgreSQL because I keep seeing posts declaring that it only/still uses Valentina.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

I notice that Daz Studio 4.8 doesn't hang when rendering Chic Hair like Studio 4.7. Yay!

This is good to hear. I haven't used it in a while but it's still lurking in a corner of one of my content directories.

Cheers,

Alex.

• EDMARTEDMART Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Saludos a todos, el numero de serie de no aparece en la pagina serials numbers.

• ScotsprincessScotsprincess Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Will my grass shader, lamh, Garibaldi work in 4.8 if I render it in 3delight?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    Will my grass shader, lamh, Garibaldi work in 4.8 if I render it in 3delight?

Yes.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

EDMART said:
    Saludos a todos, el numero de serie de no aparece en la pagina serials numbers.

Use the Serial Number for DAZ Studio 4.6, it should be in your My Account > Serial Numbers.
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this has been asked (I did try to search)... but what happened to keyboard shortcuts?

Ctrl-Z to undo, Ctrl-R to render, etc.

They were working fine for me in 4.7, and in the Beta, but now I can't seem to access keyboard shortcuts in 4.8.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited December 1969

In Tool Settings, select Scene Navigator. Select the menu list in the upper right corner of the tool settnngs pane and select Keyboard Navigation.

There's supposed to be a shortcut (Shift-K).

tool.JPG
    551 x 563 - 28K
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 1969

Strange. It is selected for me, but it won't do anything.

I can type in a text box within Daz, but even the arrow keys won't move the Viewport.

I think it might be a bug of some kind...

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

My hiper-favorites (aparts of Iray)

10) Surface Tags ----> double nice!!!!
    11) Light Category Support --------> OMG! OMG! OMG! I hyperventilate ... I pass out... I can finish a decent toonshader now without depend on commercial light

12) Image Editor -------> Info please, what is it?

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

working for me..
    also CTRL +Arrow for change the cam view , also perspective cam don't have undo option try on new Cam
    Ctrl+Z and others working as well

Strange. It is selected for me, but it won't do anything.

I can type in a text box within Daz, but even the arrow keys won't move the Viewport.

I think it might be a bug of some kind...

• nintendo1889nintendo1889 Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

I have a few concerns, as I am currently on 4.6 and have yet to update to 4.8. First and foremost, the Content Management System, I have numerous Poser models that I've imported into 4.6. as well as many scenes and templates I've created with the models to save me time at a later point when I go back. What I want to know is, using this guide, https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/home it states that I can export the CMS file into UserData_1.dsx for later re-importation on 4.8. Will this save all the preferences, stored runtime folder locations that I had previously configured on 4.6 or will I need to reimport everything?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I have a few concerns, as I am currently on 4.6 and have yet to update to 4.8. First and foremost, the Content Management System, I have numerous Poser models that I've imported into 4.6. as well as many scenes and templates I've created with the models to save me time at a later point when I go back. What I want to know is, using this guide, https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/home it states that I can export the CMS file into UserData_1.dsx for later re-importation on 4.8. Will this save all the preferences, stored runtime folder locations that I had previously configured on 4.6 or will I need to reimport everything?

No, but those settings (Content folder locations and such) aren't part of the database, as such. On a Windows machine they are part of what Studio writes to the registry (not sure where it keeps that info on a Mac). And if you do an update install, none of the registry info should go anywhere...in other words, it shouldn't need to be reset. Now doing a total wipe, including a registry clean out or installing to a new system...yeah, that stuff will not be there. And even then, if the actual content is untouched, remapping the folders is about all that will need to be done.

All the scenes, if saved in Studio format, in a mapped content folder, will still be right there...same with the Poser folders/content.

There's much less issue of going from 4.6 to 4.8 than there was going from 3 to 4 or 4 to 4.5, because it's not a major version change and the file formats/locations have pretty much settled down and are more or less 'locked' to where they were in 4.5. Yes, there are some (ok, a more than a few) interface changes but not much changed 'under the hood', except adding Iray (and the interface changes were to accommodate it).

• nintendo1889nintendo1889 Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

No, but those settings (Content folder locations and such) aren't part of the database, as such. On a Windows machine they are part of what Studio writes to the registry (not sure where it keeps that info on a Mac). And if you do an update install, none of the registry info should go anywhere...in other words, it shouldn't need to be reset. Now doing a total wipe, including a registry clean out or installing to a new system...yeah, that stuff will not be there. And even then, if the actual content is untouched, remapping the folders is about all that will need to be done.

All the scenes, if saved in Studio format, in a mapped content folder, will still be right there...same with the Poser folders/content.

There's much less issue of going from 4.6 to 4.8 than there was going from 3 to 4 or 4 to 4.5, because it's not a major version change and the file formats/locations have pretty much settled down and are more or less 'locked' to where they were in 4.5. Yes, there are some (ok, a more than a few) interface changes but not much changed 'under the hood', except adding Iray (and the interface changes were to accommodate it).

So, I just backup that user metadata file to somewhere safe as a precaution, and what if for some reason, I don't remember where I imported all the Poser folders to, am I well, screwed for a lack of better term? I really don't hope I have to remap all the folders I used (where materials, etc are located), and to be honest, I'm nervous in upgrading, as I don't want to lose any of these settings, but it sounds like they are saved to the registry. Now that's something I never touch unless I'm removing malware or the like, other than that, never touch it. So, what you're saying, as long as I do a simple upgrade via the Download Manager, and not a wipe, I pretty much don't have to do a thing?

edited December 1969

Pretty much...if you're regularly using the DIM, it's even easier. because the DIM defaults are already mapped and it should know where everything currently is (at least the stuff it handles), so it won't change anything. And if you use the Content Library, not Smart Content, with File View and haven't turned off the tool tips, hovering over any of the mapped directories will pop up a box with the location.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Couple of questions..
    1- Has the cube primitive always had a stretched UV and I just never noticed it? And um.. Can you fix the uv on the cube or is there a reason for the stretch?
    2-Looks like refresh on textures is gone for me. Is this true for other people? If it is true for other people can we please get a fix because it makes work super slow when you have to restart the scene every time you make a change to a texture.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Couple of questions..
    1- Has the cube primitive always had a stretched UV and I just never noticed it? And um.. Can you fix the uv on the cube or is there a reason for the stretch?
    2-Looks like refresh on textures is gone for me. Is this true for other people? If it is true for other people can we please get a fix because it makes work super slow when you have to restart the scene every time you make a change to a texture.

re (2) are you not seeing the options on the Surface tab menu, or is it that they don't work?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I see the options.. I have it on auto but also have been trying to force them. I can (most times) load a new scene and a new object to test for scale and check. But I'm having to do the same thing ever time I make a change to the scale on the texture. The vexing part is that I can see the new texture in the image box but no joy in the render.

edited May 2015

For #1...yeah, I think it did have an odd UV. Not sure about stretched, just that it wasn't what I expected it to be.

On #2...I've never had much luck with automatic refreshing of textures...it never did work for me, way back to DS 3.something or other. I got into the habit of adding a letter or number to the texture's file name after making a change and then reloading it, because every so often manually refreshing would crash to desktop.

Something I haven't tried, but should work...go into the temp folder and clear it out. That will force DS to reload/re-optimize the images.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    I see the options.. I have it on auto but also have been trying to force them. I can (most times) load a new scene and a new object to test for scale and check. But I'm having to do the same thing ever time I make a change to the scale on the texture. The vexing part is that I can see the new texture in the image box but no joy in the render.

I reported issues with this in 4.7. They wrote back that it was fixed.... LMAO! It does appear to work for me... sometimes.... in 4.8

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

I have been hesitant to install the new build, due to all the troubles being reported here in this thread. A key part of my trepidation has to do with the broken DAZ Studio/Bryce Bridge which I use quite often. So the question I have is this: How soon can we expect a fix for the DS/Br Bridge?

There have been other odd problem reports that have given me pause as well, like how certain tools seem to be either missing, or no longer working. I have LAMH, which I have never once had the opportunity to use, and according to what I have read in this thread, will no longer work if I install 4.8. This makes me wonder why I ever downloaded LAMH to begin with. I thought that it would be popular enough for several hair creations to be produced by those that have the paid hair creation system, which would be offered for those of us with the LAMH to use. Alas I have found only one in all the time since the release, and I cannot get it to even install! So is there a way to remove LAMH from DAZ Studio and the DIM? I mean, why have something if it is not going to work? I have already found a way to create hair for stuff in DAZ Studio, via a method I learned in Poser, And it works without the benefit of a special plugin. I created fur for the Millennium Cat in DS that looks really great!

Now for the big question: Should I take the risk of losing the functionality of 4.7, by installing 4.8? I have found 4.7 to be quite stable since the final release version, and I do not wish to step backwards with my workflow. Also as my computer does not overclock much with 4.7, the faster render times reported with the 4.8 version would seem to, by necessity, cause the system to work harder. I am running my DAZ Studio and other applications on a 5 year old laptop with no actual Graphics Card like what is found in towers, so the renders would be working via the CPU, and I just have 4GB RAM. I'll be getting a good tower at the end of this year, but that is a way off for now.

All the above said, I'd certainly like to be able to use the new build DS 4.8, as I have seen some amazing stuff concerning it, and there are some new features which to my mind will bring some missing functionality to the program, such as the Dynamic Cloth plugin, which I am hoping will be comparable to that of Poser, and yes Blender. Being able to use dynamic clothing on my figures with collision detection would add greater realism to my renders, and I would be able to do some convincing animations for a change.

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide in reference to my questions.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited May 2015

LAMH works fine in 4.8, here's a provided example in 3Delight.

It's harder to use in Iray, but it works as an Obj

(The hair looks dumb, but that's my work)

Hair_test.jpg
    1350 x 1080 - 645K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I have LAMH, which I have never once had the opportunity to use, and according to what I have read in this thread, will no longer work if I install 4.8.

Not quite right — LaMH will not work in 4.8 if you leave the renderer on the new default Iray setting. All you need to do is look in Render Settings and switch the renderer back to the old 3Delight, which is still an option in 4.8 and in fact is updated to a newer, better version. A lot of people don't seen to have realised 3Delight is still there as an option, and isn't likely to go away any time soon.