The Mac FAQ

Comments

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Scavenger said:
    Yeah..my iMac has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2048mb vram
    Not sounding like I'll get benefit from CPU (or work at all) due to the VRAM, but I' figure I'll check things out.

I've been reading the beta release thread, and the Cuda Getting Started for mac guide.
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/6_5/rel/docs/CUDA_Getting_Started_Mac.pdf
    I have Xcode installing now.
    I've seen conflicting info on if I already have the CUDA drivers installed (I'm using Mavericks)..so I'll likely just install the newest anyhow..

Totte: what are you using with multiple cards? A Mac Pro?

RIB Bug should be fixed.
    And you chould have a nVidia Cuda Setting (or download laters Cuda from nVidia).
    With a GTX680 2GN VRAM monir things would use the GPU, but you can see in the DS logfile, but 2GB is close to dangerously low for IRay and Cuda, I would uncheck GPU in the advanced render settings.
    I understand that 2GB is pretty low, but what if I was looking at low-poly, small-texture sizes? I'm wondering if animation rendering would be much faster for scenes with figures like 3DUniverse's Toon Generations.
    -- Walt Sterdan

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Yes, it's all about texture size and poly count, but Cuda and Iray itself take something like 1/2 GB (cant really get the figures as you can't see it, but sometimes the log says that it downloads that amount plus the mesh and texture data to the card.

But animations with a card should be fast, I can try something when my caustics test is done ;-)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Yes, it's all about texture size and poly count, but Cuda and Iray itself take something like 1/2 GB (cant really get the figures as you can't see it, but sometimes the log says that it downloads that amount plus the mesh and texture data to the card.

But animations with a card should be fast, I can try something when my caustics test is done ;-)

Thanks, much appreciated.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited December 1969

OK, I did a short animation using M6 with clothes and a HDR background. just used some animate animations

166 frame, 640x480 (compressed to 720p as I didn't bother to set sizes in quicktime while compressing it.
    3 hours and 6 minutes, but the interesting part is that like 80% of the rendertime was feeding IRay with the next framdata. It was feeding feeding feeding render snap done, next frame.

Put it on dropbox as YouTube make things look really bad unless you are a "pro customer".
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/193r5boya2s1qsv/matrixmoves.mov?dl=0

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    OK, I did a short animation using M6 with clothes and a HDR background. just used some animate animations

166 frame, 640x480 (compressed to 720p as I didn't bother to set sizes in quicktime while compressing it.
    3 hours and 6 minutes, but the interesting part is that like 80% of the rendertime was feeding IRay with the next framdata. It was feeding feeding feeding render snap done, next frame.

Put it on dropbox as YouTube make things look really bad unless you are a "pro customer".
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/193r5boya2s1qsv/matrixmoves.mov?dl=0

Thanks for the render test, much appreciated.
    The quality of the render is excellent, so I have no worries there (it's actually higher than I need at the moment). The time spent feeding the data sounds interesting, do you think there might be a way to speed that part up, or did you notice if it involved disk action? How much faster do you think the render was than using the CPU?
    Again, thanks for the render test, it's really appreciated.
    -- Walt Sterdan
  • colin-chancolin-chan Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hey,

Sorry for being dense but I've just downloaded 4.7 and tried to install it on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.5) but seem to be missing a chunk of stuff.

I used the aptly named DIM to download and install the necessary files but looking at the Content Directory Manager it seems like some files are either missing or have been saved to the wrong directory.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Colin

Screen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-17.27_.44_.jpg
    531 x 616 - 39K
    Screen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-17.26_.18_.jpg
    850 x 526 - 89K
    Screen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-17.23_.32_.jpg
    708 x 648 - 56K
    Screen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-17.24_.34_.jpg
    938 x 949 - 112K
    edited December 1969

The default can differ between DIM and DAZ Studio (mostly because Apple has been changing where things are supposed to be installed).
    Just tell DAZ Studio where DIM installed the file.

• colin-chancolin-chan Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Gotcha. Just done that.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Colin

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,602
    edited December 1969

I'm running daz on a Mac Pro 3,1 with the Nvidia Geforce 8800 gt 512mb video card. 10gb ram. Any suggestions on upgrades to render shots faster? Maybe a different video card?

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    I'm running daz on a Mac Pro 3,1 with the Nvidia Geforce 8800 gt 512mb video card. 10gb ram. Any suggestions on upgrades to render shots faster? Maybe a different video card?

For a Mac Pro 3.1 NVidia GTX 680 can be the only option. There are a GTX 680 Mac Edition with 2GB , but you can get a GTX 680 4GB here: http://www.macvidcards.com/index.html

• crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

Missing content on external drives -- a solution to one problem (multiple mount points)

I store my content on an external drive, and every so often it goes missing.

Until now, I've not known what was wrong, just rebooted, reimported and restarted until it seemed to get fixed.

I've just figured it out, and its a common Mac problem, and this solution may be useful to other folks with external drives.

The problem lies in the fact that if OSX doesn't properly unmount a drive before its disconnected, or in certain crash situations, it may create duplicate mount points. That is you'll have /external drive (which crashed), and the next time you mount, it will mount as /external drive 1, and so on. Problem being, DAZ will look for content on the crashed /external drive volume, which won't respond.

you fix this by

1) unmount and disconnect external drive

2) in finder, CMD-Shft-G

3) go to /Volumes

4) look for duplicate mount points, and if they exist, delete them.

Now when you mount the external drive, it will be where it should be, and Daz will see it.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Totte said:
    Yea, checked the ribs, the paths points to the studio temp. I've pushed the question to those who will have an answer, I'll be back!

Thanks for checking!

I learned in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/752206/ that inside the _collected folder is another .rib file, and THAT one should be pointing at the stuff in the folder.

However, in my collected folder, the .rib file is a 0kb file with nothing written in it.

I can't load up parallels right not to check how it looks on that side of the divide, but THIS might be where the problem is.

I just found another problem in my grand "use the 3Delight stand alone on my mac" plan.

The brickyard folder from temp shaders isn't put into the the rib - _Collected folder.

I haven't gotten 4.8 yet to see if it's fixed there or not, but wanted to document the problem in 4.7 somewhere.

edited December 1969

I would check 4.8 as there were several fixe there even with 3DL.

• KenYanoKenYano Posts: 79
    edited May 2015

Hi,

I'm new here. I am having trouble getting Daz running correctly on my Mac. The installer seemed to work fine, etc. but when I open the program for the first time I recieved this prompt:
    "Could not start up scene" "Users/XXXXX/Documents/Daz3d/content/people/genesis/genesis.duf file does not exist." Could someone point me in the right direction on how to fix daz on my comp? I'm using a 2010 intel macbook pro with Mac OS Yosemite.

Thanks

Post edited by KenYano on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

"...Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio3/content...". Wait, what? "Studio3"? I think you have some old configuration lying around that is defeating you.

edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    "...Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio3/content...". Wait, what? "Studio3"? I think you have some old configuration lying around that is defeating you.
    I did have an older version a couple of years ago. Thought I removed it all from my comp a few years ago. I"m guessing I have to unistall 4.6 and then search for these studio 3 remnants? Thanks for the help.
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    I did have an older version a couple of years ago. Thought I removed it all from my comp a few years ago. I"m guessing I have to unistall 4.6 and then search for these studio 3 remnants? Thanks for the help.Thanks Ostadan! You pointed me in the right direction and I used the help guide which solved the problem. The interface is a bit overwhelming but I got DAZ running correctly on my mac.
  • Iczer1Iczer1 Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I'm trying to install the Install Manager, on a iMac 2.7 GHZ i5 (late 2013). But every time I try to install it, it states that it can't create the directory; and i get the box with . I was trying to download the new Daz Studio 4.8, but that page shows 4.7 also.

edited December 1969

Iczer1 said:
    I'm trying to install the Install Manager, on a iMac 2.7 GHZ i5 (late 2013). But every time I try to install it, it states that it can't create the directory; and i get the box with . I was trying to download the new Daz Studio 4.8, but that page shows 4.7 also.

Do you run DIM from an admin account (allowed to sudo)?
    DIM will show an Authentication Dialog asking for you login is (sudo).
    If the account is not allowed to sudo you will fail as it is needed to do the installation.

edited December 1969

I'm the only one that uses the computer; i do have a "personal" account with a password to install stuff. This the first time that it's not letting me install anything on the hard drive.

When it loads, I get the DAZ splash screen, then the Legalese, I click ; then when it starts to load I get that error box.

edited December 1969

Iczer1 said:
    I'm the only one that uses the computer; i do have a "personal" account with a password to install stuff. This the first time that it's not letting me install anything on the hard drive.

When it loads, I get the DAZ splash screen, then the Legalese, I click ; then when it starts to load I get that error box.

Did you download a fresh Install Manager (I was the Install Manager that you had problems installing)?
    Do you have a DAZ 3D folder in ~/Documents, and if you, what are the privilegies on that one? (Select it and CMD-I (Get Info).
    Also, do you have anything in the system.log (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) from The Installer?

If so, please post, I've seen something like this with the BitRock installers when they fins traces of an old install and for some reason fails (That's why DIM came along in the first place, but a Catch-22 if you fail to install that).

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Iczer1 said:

Did you download a fresh Install Manager (I was the Install Manager that you had problems installing)? Yes.
    Do you have a DAZ 3D folder in ~/Documents, and if you, what are the privilegies on that one? (Select it and CMD-I (Get Info). I unlocked it. Its try to install it in the DAZ 3D directory in the Applications directory.
    Also, do you have anything in the system.log (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) from The Installer? No

If so, please post, I've seen something like this with the BitRock installers when they fins traces of an old install and for some reason fails (That's why DIM came along in the first place, but a Catch-22 if you fail to install that).

edited December 1969

Maybe something changed again with OS X (Apple keeps increasing security all the time).
    If that's the problem, create the DAZ 3D directory in /Applications and give yourself permissions to it. I don't have a clean machine without DS on so it's a little hard to test, or wait, hmm, I do have a machine, no, running 10.9.5 on that so no good test.

edited December 1969

works now, had to reset the privileges for "everyone" to read & write. Thank you for your help

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Scavenger said:

Thanks for checking!

I learned in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/752206/ that inside the _collected folder is another .rib file, and THAT one should be pointing at the stuff in the folder.

However, in my collected folder, the .rib file is a 0kb file with nothing written in it.

I can't load up parallels right not to check how it looks on that side of the divide, but THIS might be where the problem is.

I just found another problem in my grand "use the 3Delight stand alone on my mac" plan.

The brickyard folder from temp shaders isn't put into the the rib - _Collected folder.

I haven't gotten 4.8 yet to see if it's fixed there or not, but wanted to document the problem in 4.7 somewhere.

I'm unpleased to report in 4.8 there's been no fix to this problem. The rib file that's inside the collected folder is still 0kb, and the one outside of the collected folder still points to the temp folder, and not the collected folder :(

• absolute_seraphimabsolute_seraphim Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

None of my items I've downloaded are appearing in the Smart panel (left side), even with searches. I tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them, and nothing. This started when I downloaded 4.7, and I thought it would be fixed with 4.8 Pro, but nope. I'm tired of digging through all of my folders on the right side, and some of the items I have for the models aren't showing up because they weren't from that package, but another for that model. I've gone through every single folder, and I'm still certain I have things missing.

The rest of the program seems to run fine, it's just that nothing shows up on the left. At all. Not even when I have part of the model selected for Shaping, etc. I'm on 10.10.3, however we also had this problem with my mother's DAZ program and she was on an earlier one. Could have been 10.5 or 10.7 for all I know, but it was a fair bit before this one. I think she had 4.6 or 4.7 as well. Had a month-long ticket running with DAZ trying to figure out where everything went, and still no luck. But because of the amount she spent for the package, she's not going to use DAZ again because of this error.

So my question is this, is it a bug that they aren't showing? Is it fixable? Because I'm getting irritated with it and I feel it's limiting what I can do with the program. And the fact that it's gone all the way through 4.7 and into 4.8 is rather annoying.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Are you installing using DIM? Can you post these 2 screenshots:
    1) In DS, Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats"
    2) In DIM, on Ready to Install tab check the "Show Details" box in the lower right

• absolute_seraphimabsolute_seraphim Posts: 28
    edited December 1969
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In DS click the "Content Directory Manager" button on that screen, and expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" sections.