Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

David,

Occlusion from TA will likely be limited. TA is designed to search for sky information in any way that it can, so hiding the sky from TA will never be fully possible.

Mark,

I wish your wife a swift recovery. On the subject of TA, it is the prohibitive render times that lead us to test TA on only the simplest scenes, not items as complex as the Atrium because one will have fear of testing new settings. I usually do it like David, with a simple target that is rich with geometric facets so I can see how shading response from the light is represented.

Okay, fair enough, well let me ask you this. I believe when you were asking where you could get the BCF for the Atrium it was with the notion of doing the scene with fill light I believe it was? I gathered you felt confident it was the best solution for the scene but wanted to test it first? Well the next best solution to you buying the Atrium to do that, is for you to tell me here what to do. We could even break it up into steps so as to not demand too much typing at any given point in the process. What I can tell you about the scene is the light is from the sun with it's intensity set at 100% (see reference pics below) Aside from that the only other lights are a row of 5 radial lights in the center at the coordinates shown in the pic of the attributes of this group of lights. Also even though there are 5 lights two of them are turned off with zero values for diffuse and specular. These are the two outer radials. The three inner radials are turned on and all have the same settings. These settings are reflected in the two light lab screen captures in one of the reference pictures.

Atriumlightlab.jpg
    799 x 299 - 89K
    AtriumLightsAttributes.jpg
    288 x 400 - 40K
    trinityatriumWM.jpg
    800 x 500 - 158K
    Atrium_Skylab.jpg
    800 x 673 - 217K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, the wife is recovering fine and should free me from my chai....er...um...resume normal activity in a few days to a week at the most. :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Playing with light... been getting some odd results here with this.

I'll maybe post one of the odd ones tomorrow, but when I had HDRI sky dome set, I couldn't get any light reflection off the windows, they all looked like they'd been boarded up from the inside.

Anyway, I think this one turned out OK.

Old-Street-Alt2a.jpg
    800 x 480 - 175K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I would change the pov just a little to the left - would make me want to see whats around the corner more
    like the first person look .

edited December 1969

Speaking of Bryce Pro IBL v TA Landscapes here's a scene I made by just taking one of the scenes in the product and adding the Shroom Castle.

Shroom_Castle.jpg
    800 x 446 - 199K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Mark, that castle looks like it really belongs there.

Here's an experiment with the grass I made. I extended it along the X-axis then dropped in another default terrain, resized it, added a texture, went into the DTE and adjusted the color and ended up with something that looks like sand.

Lots_of_Grass_5_1.jpg
    1280 x 749 - 133K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

cool castle - trying again to post

edited December 1969

Today's experiment; Trying to make something that looks like one of those terribly tacky snow globes.
    It's getting there - All I need to do now is to find my snowman model (I know I've got one kicking around somewhere) and put him inside.

No fancy lighting on this, just one standard radial with soft shadows.

Snow-Globe.jpg
    600 x 600 - 127K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

David,

Occlusion from TA will likely be limited. TA is designed to search for sky information in any way that it can, so hiding the sky from TA will never be fully possible.

Mark,

I wish your wife a swift recovery. On the subject of TA, it is the prohibitive render times that lead us to test TA on only the simplest scenes, not items as complex as the Atrium because one will have fear of testing new settings. I usually do it like David, with a simple target that is rich with geometric facets so I can see how shading response from the light is represented.

Okay, fair enough, well let me ask you this. I believe when you were asking where you could get the BCF for the Atrium it was with the notion of doing the scene with fill light I believe it was? I gathered you felt confident it was the best solution for the scene but wanted to test it first? Well the next best solution to you buying the Atrium to do that, is for you to tell me here what to do. We could even break it up into steps so as to not demand too much typing at any given point in the process. What I can tell you about the scene is the light is from the sun with it's intensity set at 100% (see reference pics below) Aside from that the only other lights are a row of 5 radial lights in the center at the coordinates shown in the pic of the attributes of this group of lights. Also even though there are 5 lights two of them are turned off with zero values for diffuse and specular. These are the two outer radials. The three inner radials are turned on and all have the same settings. These settings are reflected in the two light lab screen captures in one of the reference pictures.

It turns out the model is quite affordable, just 1.99 with the platinum discount. I've played around with the space and have some examples and ideas to upload. But I'd prefer to do it in the lighting thread I started. See ya over in the other thread.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2012

Nice work Dave, particularly on the snow globe snow effect, that's excellent.

The castle fits there perfectly Mark, good render.

And once again, GussNemo your tenacity is being rewarded.

Right, well, I've recorded another tutorial, it turned out to be a right dogs dinner... read the warning, you probably shouldn't watch it. Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - TA optimised radial lights - a 40 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

As a bit of light relief I pressed on with my dragon lighting experiment. Here a bit of soft reflection was thrown in with all the TA, boosting the render time from 10 minutes to 50. I also added a bit of background gradient for the sake of interest (edit: this gradient appears though using fog blending modes).

TA_sc_light_test7.jpg
    778 x 500 - 149K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Today's experiment; Trying to make something that looks like one of those terribly tacky snow globes.
    It's getting there - All I need to do now is to find my snowman model (I know I've got one kicking around somewhere) and put him inside.

No fancy lighting on this, just one standard radial with soft shadows.

That looks absolutely amazing. Just in time for the Holidays. You should make a card cover or something. It comes off nearly as a photo, which is quite awesome. Great work!

edited December 1969

Lit with a single TA optimised radial light source. As shown in the video, R = 255, G = 60, B = 25. Material made by me from photographs supplied by Horo - the model a little Wings3D project.

TA_radial_light1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. :)

@ David; Yup you'd like the snow, it's one of your volumetric snow materials. :coolsmile:

And as the response was good, I've now made a snowman inside of it... made from 2 metaballs (though the addition of the scarf made the metaballs a bit pointless in the end as it covers up the neck joint).

Now I have the idea of making a snow globe with a snow plough in it, don't know why but the idea seems slightly humorous to me. :cheese:

Snow-Globe2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 128K
    edited August 2012

BTW David I did watch the latest tutorial and it was very interesting, regardless of if it's of any use to anyone at the moment, no doubt the more people know or at least know they have access to finding out a bit more about these more obscure features, the more versatile Bryce becomes for more people so I think you underestimate the importance of it. I'm referring to the "warning" part of course. I would encourage everyone to watch it. :)

ETA: Plus that latest render looks great, there's almost something biological about it.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited August 2012

BTW David I did watch the latest tutorial and it was very interesting, regardless of if it's of any use to anyone at the moment, no doubt the more people know or at least know they have access to finding out a bit more about these more obscure features, the more versatile Bryce becomes for more people so I think you underestimate the importance of it. I'm referring to the "warning" part of course. I would encourage everyone to watch it. :)

ETA: Plus that latest render looks great, there's almost something biological about it.

Thank you Dave, well, I wanted to avoid all the endless whining of the general you tube viewers who are not accessing these videos from the forum (where things are explained, discussed and argued about) but come to them cold without really being aware of any of the background.

As it happens, extending my researches from where I left off in the video, I have discovered a way of combining the lights (and using exclusion) to avoid the burn out issue and provide a proper gel effect. So eventually another video will be in order... even if it is just for you, Horo and Rashad.

The 2:1 photo image is Horo's treppehalle2 unwrapped by our Spherical Mapper - the original is much higher resolution, I've shrunk it down considerably to fit on the forum page. The remapping process for this task took only seconds, since it was a straight forwards transform of a background image, no serious ray-tracing was required.

The mesh cube with holes in it is demonstrating how my carefully set up TA lights can project gel images inwards from their surfaces. This took about five minutes to render.

And the dragon render... TA scattering correction and boost light. I converted Horo's angular mapped Treppenhalle2.hdr with the Spherical Mapper and spherically mapped that into a light gel that is applied to two TA optimised cubic light sources that also exclude the Stanford dragon and overlap. This projects gel light in which adding rather than multiplying, retains the colour. The same HDRI is used as a backdrop to drive reflection. Standard Bryce sun is also employed as a key light, and drives a bit of diffuse and also specular. The material was made by me from a photograph taken by Horo.

Render time 20 minutes at 256 RPP with Max Ray Depth set to 4.

Edit: Dave the snowman looks great, fits perfectly. You've nailed it! However, the snow plough would also be very cool (pun intended).

TA_radial_light4.jpg
    711 x 400 - 128K
    TA_radial_light3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 98K
    SM_treppenhalle2.jpg
    600 x 300 - 89K
    edited December 1969

You folks are blowing my mind.

David, both of those dragons are awesome, as any beginner would say. I especially love the final affect of the last one. Interesting, no one has ever called me tenacious before. I'll take it as a compliment.

I'm still fiddling around with the settings for the grass. I've made a few adjustments in the Instancing Lab, lowered the percentage of the X-axis of the Scale Control in the Transformation Tools, simply because I wasn't satisfied with the initial rendering. It appears to be getting better, but until I'm satisfied with the final results I'll keep adjusting.

Dave, I marveled when I saw the first snow globe image, but felt like a kid in a candy store when I saw the second. As David said, that snowman is the icing on the cake. Well done. I hope one day to be as proficient.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - The render with the village looks very nicely lit. For the windows, there are sometimes materials that can be altered to give them some reflections. It depends on the models. Sometimes, the facade is just a photograph, than you can't do it.

The snow sphere with the snow man lookas very cool.

@LordHardDriven - the Shroom Castle looks as if it would belong there. The scene looks like a photograph. Very well done.

@GussNemo - The grass patch looks a bit like an old dune.

@David - the light gel on the cubical thingy looks interesting.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @TheSavage64 - The render with the village looks very nicely lit. For the windows, there are sometimes materials that can be altered to give them some reflections. It depends on the models. Sometimes, the facade is just a photograph, than you can't do it.

Yes, I looked into it a bit further, The window material has some transparency but apparently no reflection (it's not a picture mapped material).
    So you can place lights in the houses and do night time scenes with the windows lit up as I've done in the example below.
    It would be a fiddly job to select all the windows to add reflection but I think it could be done (if I remember correctly and I can't check at the moment because I've already got Bryce rendering something else, but the 'meshes' list is quite long and the items not particularly helpfully named).
    2-ShipsS.jpg
    700 x 437 - 55K
    edited December 1969

Sounds good and your last render demonstates that the windows are transparent. I know, finding all the windows in a prop can be very tedious but it is worth it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

What I tend to do, once I have found all the meshes that are windows is to change their colour group, so in future I can just select the colour group to make tweaks.

Sometimes I even rename them, if I am feeling energetic, and I think I amy be using the prop again.

edited December 1969

Beautiful render Dave, but you know what it is missing? Bryce lighthouse "light beam" effect - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996
    edited December 1969

As it happens, extending my researches from where I left off in the video, I have discovered a way of combining the lights (and using exclusion) to avoid the burn out issue and provide a proper gel effect. So eventually another video will be in order... even if it is just for you, Horo and Rashad.

David I don't agree your video tutorials are for a selected few. I only understand 1% on my first viewing, but keep going back and forth between the various tutorials and with every viewing my understanding increases. Your hard work is much appreciated. Thanks

edited December 1969

David I don't agree your video tutorials are for a selected few. I only understand 1% on my first viewing, but keep going back and forth between the various tutorials and with every viewing my understanding increases. Your hard work is much appreciated. Thanks

If I got David right, he will labour and create a video even in the (rare) case that it will be watched only by a very few. - not that he's going to do it for only the three persons mentioned. You're fully included in the audience.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    What I tend to do, once I have found all the meshes that are windows is to change their colour group, so in future I can just select the colour group to make tweaks.

Sometimes I even rename them, if I am feeling energetic, and I think I amy be using the prop again.

Yes, most of the time, when I have to labour to get everything right in a prop I got over from Studio, I save it in the Objects library.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I don't understand a lot of what David's videos show, but I am watching them. I'm slowly working my way through them and picking up valuable bits of information along the way.

Thank you David for all your hard work.:-)

edited December 1969

Is everyone fed up with seeing the snow globe by now?

Well I promise this'll be the last one for a while. :-)

All-Shook-Up-Big.jpg
    1666 x 710 - 305K
    edited December 1969

Horo, that's what went through my mind when I stretch the grass terrain and rendered it. Dropping another terrain on top of the grass terrain, adjusting the color, adjusting the height, produced the results. It's not earth shattering by any means, but it provides experience working with this aspect of Bryce.

Dave, that village image is picture post card perfect. Because it does look as though it's a post card of the area. I love it.

David, the TA Optimising video is information I've wondered why someone hasn't provided, not that I'm ready to use TA lighting, but the general overall information. And like another said, I didn't completely understand everything. But I will watch it again.

While watching the segment of the video where you tried to get the blue and white check lighting onto the object while it was directly in the middle of the radial light, I was wondering whether or not a radial light could be inverted. That is, since a radial light mainly directs light outward, would it be possible to reverse that so the light is directed inward. Thus inverted.

I've begin to understand lighting with Bryce is somewhat similar to stage lighting, in that you're using lighting to creat effects that aren't really there. I've seen in the Bryce Artist manual for 7.0 that the physics of lighting is somewhat explained. But wonder if a video wouldn't help many, myself included, gain a better understand.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64: Uuh, that is really cool. I love it. No wonder, I am a Bryce fan and a comic fan. :-)

@David: I watched the TA and radial light tutorial and found it very interesting, though I have not understood every technical detail. I am not sure, if I am right, but radial lights do not go with TA except the "TA optimization" option is switch on?

@GussNemo: Nice grass, better than mine.

edited August 2012

@David: I watched the TA and radial light tutorial and found it very interesting, though I have not understood every technical detail. I am not sure, if I am right, but radial lights do not go with TA except the "TA optimization" option is switch on?

All those who liked the video - thank you! To answer your question Electro-elvis, yes. When TA optimization is checked (switched on) the radial light stops producing direct light and only operates in TA mode. Otherwise it behaves normally. When not in TA optimized mode, the radial light itself is "invisible" to TA rendering and only the effect of the light can be seen. When in TA optimised mode, the light itself is "seen" by the TA renderer and is also the source of the light.

If that proves too boggling for today, consider this instead. Getting a Little Green Man from DAZ Studio to Bryce - a 10 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

Edit: Great three pane cartoon Dave, I like it - very amusing.

DS_test1.jpg
    667 x 500 - 152K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Makes a change to see the little green man without the site being down, Good job those things aren't connected to anything, else he would be a bright spark.

This discussion has been closed.