No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

Diomede said:

Another tech update.  I am less worried about the machines becoming self aware and destroying us all than I am of people with criminal intent using the machines to aid them in their schemes.

Fraud, deception, and manipulation are getting eaiser every day.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1638796850978521093

yep, just this morning one of my sons recieved a test message which roughly said..

Hi Mum, I'm at Woolies and need $600 for shopping can you send it to me via this phone number...

it can be so easy to the unaware... lucky my son is aware yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Hooray for being aware! Good for your son.  yes

It is so annoying to be constantly bombarded by scams.  Ugh.

edited March 2023

Eff Ewe, Microsoft!  Eff, effing, eff you.

So I made a variety of gravestones to replace in the replicator for my graveyard.  See above.  Carrara still works for new projects.  But I updated to Windows 11 this morning.  And look!  I am now getting an input error for ALL of my sequential saves for my graveyard project.  Eff ewe.  Eff effing eff you, and the horse you road in on.  Ugh.  angrycrying

boo microsoft boo windows 11 input error trying to bring in my scene.jpg
    1920 x 826 - 163K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2023

Relief!  - Call Off the Emergency!

I had another backup of the file in a different folder.  It loaded.

Save often, and have backups.  heart yes

backup loaded.jpg
    1891 x 1024 - 579K

edited March 2023

Here is a slight update.  More variety for the gravestones.  Rendered to larger image.  More Lorenzos walking around.

graveyard test render bigger.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 393K
    edited March 2023

Have to work on the shaders of the new gravestones.  The bump is way too strong, and the noise is the wrong size.

Bump too strong.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 232K
    edited March 2023

Some more touch ups, and a new work in progress.

WIP graveyard.png
    2000 x 1000 - 4M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

Diomede said:

Some more touch ups, and a new work in progress.

Nice !!!

edited March 2023

Bunyip -Thanks.

Detour to Gilligans Island.  

Took some time off from other projects to doodle with landscape and plant tools.  Here is an island to be a castaway upon.  Carrara terrain tool.  Palm tree from Carrara native content.  Ocean made by inserting a terrain in the regular replicator, seamless, and applying the ocean shader that comes with Carrara mixed with another water shader. A quickie with easy assets that come with Carrara.

Gilligan wip.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 167K

we've been here for a long long time

trying to make the best of things

it's an uphill climb... smiley

Thanks.  I've been humming the theme since I checked the 1st season DVD out of the library.

edited March 2023

Another detour. 

Decided to do another set of base toon figures in the 'claymation' style.  Three fingers (plus thumb), three toes (plus big toe?), oversized heads, spindly limbs, you know the drill.

Here is my WIP for the first figure.  I have done the body and the head separately so I can swap out heads.  The top of the neck and the base of the skull each have 8 vertexes (verteces) to make it easier.  Although this model has toes, I think I will be making another generic model wearing shoes.  I have two primitive spheres as placeholders for the eyes.

base toon 1.jpg
    999 x 937 - 121K
    base toon 2 head.jpg
    1143 x 865 - 93K
    base toon 3 body.jpg
    942 x 934 - 103K
    edited March 2023

Hero type character

A variation of the basic figure designed to be the hero.  Most probably can't tell the difference, but the shoulders are broader and the hips narrower for that male V shaped torso.  The limbs are more muscular, and the wrists and ankles are narrower relative to the forearms and calves.  The face has been adjusted to be less round, the mouth lowered, and the nose more defined.  In isolation, probably not enough difference to notice.  Hopefully, will be more noticeable when supporting characters are added.

hero wip.jpg
    935 x 957 - 129K
    edited March 2023

Next WIP.  Adding some hair.  Created a hair cap for the head and grew dynamic hair on it.  Brows and mustache separate dynamic hair objects grown directly on mesh.

Red eyes are just primitive sphere placeholders

wip portrait.jpg
    800 x 600 - 27K
    WIP 2.png
    800 x 600 - 80K
    edited March 2023

Replaced the demon eyes.

Next work on teeth etc

WIP Eyes.jpg
    800 x 600 - 28K
    edited March 2023

Few more WIPs.  UVMapping and creating the skeleton rig.  Two steps forward, one step back.

UVMapping.  One step forward. Here is the figure with a checkerboard shader applied.  Not too bad because this figure is intended for toony renders.  Face and hands appear OK.

wip 1 uvmap checkerboard.png
    800 x 600 - 109K
    wip uvmap and polygon count around 7 thousand.jpg
    1903 x 997 - 413K
    edited March 2023

Rigging.  One step forward and one step back.  I created a skeleton and attached to the mesh.  I created an animation group.  Seemed to be OK.  Typical problem areas like under the armpit and the hip/crotch.  But the fingers turned out pretty good.  Included some extra bones in the face to help with expressions.  For a start without any weightmapping yet, pretty happy.  But then... (start the ominous music)... then the dreaded... 'AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED'  with no explanation.

Hmmm.

wip an error has occurred.jpg
    1356 x 880 - 237K
    edited March 2023

Hmmm.  Rebooted computer, reloaded the toony guy, and no error yet.  

Here he is all bendy bending.  No weightmapping yet.  No joint correction morphs yet.

WIP bendy bend.png
    800 x 600 - 93K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

Diomede said:

Hmmm.  Rebooted computer, reloaded the toony guy, and no error yet.  

Here he is all bendy bending.  No weightmapping yet.  No joint correction morphs yet.

Top work !!!

awesome work.. I must try UVing one day like that ... with pins and seams I'm guessing smiley

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,190

Looks like a pretty good Dickie Smothers.  yes  Now we need a Tommy.wink

The Uncensored Story' Of The Smothers Brothers : NPR

edited May 2023

Placeholders.

Next few posts are just reminders to myself of some projects that got started but not finished.  Most are for the recent challenge.

First up, Hope is Rekindled.  A landscape with the fire signals.

The second is some splats.  Had intended to experiment with rendering out run cycles of Genesis trolls and then utting them in splats.  Never got around to it.

The third is a tribute to the opening of John Carpenter's remake of The Thing From Another World.  I animated a fly through of Dartanbeck's solar system scene, but never got around to adding the wooly mammoths to signal that the spaceship landed long ago.  Was going to use particles and animated shaders to have snow fall and build up on crashed spaceship.

Video found here.

https://youtu.be/9uoVggAMpQQ

And the fourth is the woolly mmammoth, which is just a Poser mammoth with Carrara hair replacing the conforming hair.  For some reason the tusks were not working.  I did manage to get around to model replacement tusks, but I never finished the walk cycle for the mammoths.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Diomede said:

And the fourth is the woolly mmammoth, which is just a Poser mammoth with Carrara hair replacing the conforming hair.  For some reason the tusks were not working.  I did manage to get around to model replacement tusks, but I never finished the walk cycle for the mammoths.

did you try turning off limits then zeroing it in animation? 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,190

Diomede said:

some projects that got started but not finished.  

I've bought terabyte hard drives to store my collection of those.  blush

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Diomede said:

Here is a slight update.  More variety for the gravestones.  Rendered to larger image.  More Lorenzos walking around.

that's a terrific image Ted 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Diomede said:

wow I could have used you this time last year I had to illustrate a mammoth charge - your hair is a zillin times better than mine!! mine looked bits of grey grass sytuck to the animal!