No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited March 26

Carrara setup. 

Simple scene. Note, intending to use an extension called 'Latent Couple' which can divide the Stable Diffusion canvas into areas for separate processing.  So I am thinking of this in three basic regions.  The left third, which is further back, has a horse.  The center, which is midground, has a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman.  The right, which is closest to the camera has the exhausted and tattered desperado hiding behind a rock.

The scene has high ambient and the toon filter is on.  I want to reduce the inmpact of shadows on the AI processor edge detection.  I will be rendering a Toon III pass, a depth pass, a coverage pass, a diffuse pass, and a background pass.  

Used Carrara terrain editor to create a basic hillside with rocks and ledges.  Placed the old Daz Horse with reins and saddle in back left.  Placed an M4 with the Content Paradise RCMP uniform in mid center.  Placed a G2F with cowboy boots, hat, denim shorts (jeans with alpha) and blouse clutching bag in front right.  

I used the Carrara hair modeler to grow strand based hair under the hat, and used Philemo's hair-to-mesh plugin (rememeber to reduce display percentage in the hair modeler).  I selected the hair mesh and in Effects checked the Toon III over ride.  I don't want the black lines for toon edges dominating the render of the hair.

zz01 carrara scene setup.png
    1917 x 999 - 944K
    zz02 carrara hair cap for g2f grow hair under hat reduce display percentage.png
    1876 x 919 - 434K
    zz03 philemo plugin strand hair to mesh.png
    912 x 607 - 399K
    zz04 over ride toon settings for mesh hair to get rid of line effect.png
    843 x 656 - 432K
    zz05 render settings.png
    1747 x 939 - 247K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 26

Dimensions.  Stable Diffusion models generally prefer either square 512x512, portrait 512x768, or landscape 768X512 dimensions.  Therefore, I set my Carrara output to be a multiple of these dimensions.  In this case, 1535x1024.

Toon III settings.  I reduce the width of the edges, and I lighten the shadows.

The result is several image outputs.  The toon render, the depth pass, the coverage pass, the background pass, and the diffuse pass.  

The Toon III render is being used to help the AI 'canny' processor identify edges.  Therefore, I have reduced the shadows which can yield false edges, and then I multiply the toon result by the coverage pass in an image editor.  This reinforces many of the primary outlines.

The depth pass has to be inverted to be used correctly in stable diffusion caontrolnet.

I do some minor touch ups to the toon and diffuse passes if I anticipate some problem - such as a shadow edge fooling Controlnet that the edge of an object might be someplace it is not.

I also do a very minor blur on the depth pass to give the artificial intelligence a little wiggle room.

In this case, I used image2image in Stable Diffusion.  Therefore, I took the diffuse pass and multiplied it by the coverage pass.  I load the result in the image2image main area.

So, before I open the Stable Diffusion processor, I have three 1536x1024 prep images.  Here they are for this example.

zz06 toon settings.png
    1162 x 815 - 384K
    zz07 adjust toon render and multiply coverage pass to help canny find lines.png
    1544 x 882 - 759K
    zz08 invert and blur the depth map.png
    1474 x 738 - 160K
    zz09 diffuse pass adjusted and multiply coverage pass.png
    1503 x 881 - 1M
    zz10 summary prep passes.png
    873 x 507 - 140K

Carrara Output Loaded in Stable Diffusion Controlnet Processors

In this case, I am using image2image; therefore, the adjusted Carrara diffuse pass is loaded in the image2image box.

Controlnet 'Depth.'  The slightly blurred depth pass is uploaded to a Controlnet tab.  I also upload the depth as the mask, set the preprocessor to 'none' for depth.

Controlnet 'Canny.'  The adjsuted Toon render (multiplied by coverage pass) is uploaded to Canny.  Do use the Controlnet processor to use it to detect lines.  Click the orange icon that looks like a fireball.

zz11 Stable Diffusion load adjusted diffuse pass in image2image.png
    1131 x 937 - 456K
    zz12 load inverted depth pass in controlnet upload independent mask and set Preprocessor to NONE lower control weight.png
    900 x 895 - 156K
    zz13 load adjusted toon in controlnet canny then run preprocessor and lower weight.png
    899 x 898 - 223K
    edited March 26

Canvas Portions - 'Latent Couple' Extension

The controlnet extension 'Latent Couple' can be used to divide up the image into regions for separate focus.  For example, use the prompt 'new' for one region, and 'shabby' for another - or young vs old, or male vs female, etc.  It does not have to be opposites, just giving examples.  In this case, I want a horse in the left third, a Canadian Mountie in the middle, and a fugitive in the right side.  Latent couple uses to accomplish this.  In this case, I used

Latent couple uses a specific format in the verbal prompts; the keyword is AND in caps.  In dividing the canvas, in this case 1:1,1:3,1:3,1:3 triggers four sets of prompts, the first of which (1:1) applies to the whole image while the other three apply to only 1/3 of the image.  Latent Couple needs to know where to start each portion.  In this case, the first set of prompts cover the whole image with a weight of 0,2, so this is the background.  The next three prompts cover the left side, center, and right side respectively, with weight of 0.8. The first two start on the left edge.  The second starts 1/3 of the way from the left edge.  The final starts 2/3 of the way from the left edge.  You can click 'visualize' to get a graphic of your instructions.  The lighter the color the stronger the effect in that area.  So the big light gray box is the background covering the whole image.  The next three are black and white images applying to each region.

zz14 enable latent couple and divide canvas into thirds.png
    910 x 889 - 50K
    zz15 prompts and settings for stable diffusion image2image.png
    1333 x 910 - 450K
    edited March 26

Written prompts corresponding to Latent Couple - Separataed by AND

Now that the processors are loaded, time to provide instructions.

The first line describes the background, then ends in AND.

The second set of lines describes the left third of the image.  This describes the horse then ends in AND.

The third set of lines describes the Canadian Mountie then ends in AND.

The fourth set decribes the fugitive then ends in AND.

I also have a few stylistic instructions.

And there is a second box for negative instructions.

edited March 26

Variations on Output

You can set a number of iterations for each set of prompts you process.  I generally do 4-6 per iteration.  But I might do only 1 if I am still testing if something is working at all, or I might have moe than 6 if I have used a high denoiser, which gives Stable Diffusion discretion to depart more from my prompts.  Here are two of the results from loading my Carrara renders in Controlnet and using my prompts with Latent Couple.  In general, I like the image with the blue pants uniform better, but there are some elements from the other that I like as well.  So I took these in an image editor to combine the elements that I liked.  Note that the image is still relatively small (768x512).  

zz16 examples of two outputs with elements that like.png
    537 x 711 - 674K

So here you can see some of the rock and fugitive legs that I took from one image and put in the image with the blue pants.

zz17 copy element from one image.png
    883 x 591 - 176K
    zz18 combine and adjust small image.png
    1200 x 591 - 829K

Upscale and Reprocessing

At this stage, the image is smaller than I want, and it is still a little rough.  So I load the composite small image in the 'Extras' section of Stable Diffusion, which has an upscaler.  I upscaled this image from 768x512 to 1536 by 1024.  But wait, there is more!  I sent the upscaled result to the image2image processor.  I then lowered the 'denoiser' and similar to give Stable Diffusion less discretion to change the image.  I then restated similar prompts along with some instructions to amend the overall style of the image.

zz19 upscaled.png
    1741 x 724 - 735K
    zz20 composite reprocessed images.png
    1370 x 890 - 2M

And so here again is the final result.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,702

Nice scene but the right arm & hand of the Mountie look at bit out !

Have been exploring Krita AI for some render ideas.

edited March 27

Good point Bunyip.  yes

I did a similar workflow for a simple fantasy art image.  However, this time I addressed the hand not within AI, but by loading the image back in Carrara and rendering the hand which was used as the original blockout.  Shadow catchers are awesome!  Original blockout toon and depth renders also attached.

Mushroom Fantasy Feast.png
    1024 x 1536 - 2M
    Mushroom Sitting toon 2.png
    1024 x 1536 - 2M
    Mushroom Sitting_Depth INVERTED.png
    1024 x 1536 - 222K
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,985
    edited March 27

Bunyip02 said:

And how is Krita A.I.  ??   +  any info would be of  interest  +  Thanx  

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited March 27

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

And how is Krita A.I.  ??   +  any info would be of  intrest  +  Thanx  

Was a fairly big download to setup, I also downloaded a number of models from civitai.com, using up 30.6 GB of my C-drive space.

The initial download included two models, have expanded that to 5 checkpoints and 35 Loras. Topics range from Aliens to Landscapes.

Can get some interesting results just typing in a few keywords, some people also use AI Chat to come up with a passage description of their subject.

Some of the images are fairly crap, but there are also some gorgeous images rendering out. I can see why some people get hooked on using it.

Is it cheating ? Good question.

Also you can build models from sample images, so people like Headwax are entitled to protect their work.

Still got lots of exploring to do.

EDIT - Running okay on my GEFORCE GTX 1060

Krita AI models 1.png
    1840 x 1000 - 187K
    Landscape 10.png
    1600 x 1156 - 3M
    Landscape 1.png
    1600 x 1156 - 3M
    Pirate 3.png
    1600 x 1156 - 3M
    Alien 21.png
    1600 x 1156 - 3M
    Spaceship 1.png
    1600 x 1156 - 3M
    1950s Sci-Fi Car 8.png
    1600 x 1156 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 27

Yeah ,  man  these  exampls are good  +

_   have 512GB  SSD  and  1TB  standard  Drives and  GeForce GT 730  2GB

Bunyip02 said:
     Also you can build models from sample images, so people like Headwax are entitled to protect their work.

+ from sample images like  Diomede is with Stable Diffusion , then  ??

+  thanx  very much   +

Post edited by ed3D on

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

+  thanx  very much   +

My C-drive on what it's installed is 512GB

There are reports that it does not run on older cards, would suggest just installing the basic version and see if that works before downloading any extra models.

Krita AI is based on Stable Diffusion with ComfyUI

It's not without poor results, there are many iterations that I have not saved.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824
    edited March 28

a very easy to use self contained SDXL installation is Fooocus

runs on Nvidia cards with lower VRAM

minimum 4GB VRAM

https://github.com/lllyasviel/Fooocus

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

+  thanx  very much   +

My C-drive on what it's installed is 512GB

There are reports that it does not run on older cards, would suggest just installing the basic version and see if that works before downloading any extra models.

Krita AI is based on Stable Diffusion with ComfyUI

It's not without poor results, there are many iterations that I have not saved.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/generate-ai-krita/

Sounds like the minimum card is 6GB

WendyLuvsCatz said:

a very easy to use self contained SDXL installation is Fooocus

runs on Nvidia cards with lower VRAM

minimum 4GB VRAM

https://github.com/lllyasviel/Fooocus

Interesting !!!

@Bunyip02 great examples!  Thanks for posting them.

Carrara is much, much, much better of a partner with AI than Daz Studio Iray.  In my opinion.  I tried to put together a series of screenshots in a tutorial for people to use Daz Studio to create the blockouts the way I am using Carrara.  It is so much faster to insert a Carrara terrain modeler and get the basic shape of desired background terrain than to search one's content collection hoping you have something roughly close to what is in mind.  Or insert a vertex object or spline object and get the rough shape of a desired object.  And the built in Toon!!! creates lines without having to go in and mess with the material IDs of lots of objects.  I gave up on the Daz Studio screenshot tutorial because the entire point is to save time, and it takes too much time to mimic Carrara.  No modeler!

Diomede said:

@Bunyip02 great examples!  Thanks for posting them.

Carrara is much, much, much better of a partner with AI than Daz Studio Iray.  In my opinion.  I tried to put together a series of screenshots in a tutorial for people to use Daz Studio to create the blockouts the way I am using Carrara.  It is so much faster to insert a Carrara terrain modeler and get the basic shape of desired background terrain than to search one's content collection hoping you have something roughly close to what is in mind.  Or insert a vertex object or spline object and get the rough shape of a desired object.  And the built in Toon!!! creates lines without having to go in and mess with the material IDs of lots of objects.  I gave up on the Daz Studio screenshot tutorial because the entire point is to save time, and it takes too much time to mimic Carrara.  No modeler!

Thanks !!!

I am planning on using the AI two ways in Carrara.

First of all is to generate a number of iterations on subjects that interest me, then I will use those images as a guide for setting up a scene in Carrara with my content library.

Second is to use Diomede's method of exporting a scene from Carrara into the AI to generate an image of it.

Also I am keen to get back into 3D modeling, will use the AI images as inspiration for the models. Have been doing a series of start/stops with the modeling largely as I have too much fun rendering.

I think that plan will work very well.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.  And modeling is always a good skill to have.  I suggest a third way to use Carrara.  After you have used any AI-related workflow to generate an image, use Carrara's shadow catchers, etc to add additional details.  For example, AI is notoriously horrible at elements that have text - such as a road sign or a newspaper.  Can add with a 2D image editor, which might be fine for a lot of purposes.  But with Carrara, you get shadow catchers!  

edited March 29

Installed  Krita A.I.  _  and  it said this  =  Thanx

Screenshot KRITA_AI.png
    1212 x 879 - 62K
    Post edited by ed3D on

Another Carrara to Stable Diffusion Example.  All custom Carrara models.  No acquired 3rd party assets, purchased or otherwise.

ed3D said:

You could try the Driver update. Also did you try hitting the Launch button to see what it will do ?

If it does run you could have long times to generate.

Diomede said:

Another Carrara to Stable Diffusion Example.  All custom Carrara models.  No acquired 3rd party assets, purchased or otherwise.

Thanks for the methodology !!! Nice render !

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

You could try the Driver update. Also did you try hitting the Launch button to see what it will do ?

If it does run you could have long times to generate.

+  when clik laungh  Givez the Error  +   did update Drivr  And same Errors  +  Thanx

Sorry it did not work ....

Might be your video card is too old for it.

edited March 29

Bunyip02 said:

Sorry it did not work ....

Might be your video card is too old for it.

https://beta.dreamstudio.ai/generate

edited March 30

Diomede said:

I think that plan will work very well.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.  And modeling is always a good skill to have.  I suggest a third way to use Carrara.  After you have used any AI-related workflow to generate an image, use Carrara's shadow catchers, etc to add additional details.  For example, AI is notoriously horrible at elements that have text - such as a road sign or a newspaper.  Can add with a 2D image editor, which might be fine for a lot of purposes.  But with Carrara, you get shadow catchers!  

3rd way - Hmmmm

Monster 1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 546K

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

3rd way - Hmmmm

Save the Earth!

Great one.  yes