UltraScenery Experiments and Experiences

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Richard Haseltine said:

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

You would only have to edit the Dirt Track 2 images, not everything in the folder. 
    wink 

Yes, there are 10 of them laugh

Could you not load them into your image editor as layers, shift everything, and save out the layers as images if you just want a shift.

Or write an action to open a file, do the offset/shift, and save the file, then run it as an automated task. Either way would work for some of the maps, but not necessarily all of them. Things like one of the terrain height maps for Dirt Track 2 needs individual editing, or you would end up with a harsh transition between solid color and gray scale transitions at the new merge point of the map. It is similar to creating a seamless texture from a non-seamless one. At the offset boundaries, some manual editing is needed to blend things in.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

Has anyone figured out seafoam for the USXT scenes? I grabbed iRayOcean Worx some months ago but have not gotten around to using it yet.

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-oceanworx

• Tugpsx said:

Has anyone figured out seafoam for the USXT scenes? I grabbed iRayOcean Worx some months ago but have not gotten around to using it yet.

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-oceanworx

I don't own Iray OceanWorx, but got some water foam using DA Big Ocean.

After the generation of the UltrasceneryXT terrain select it in the  scene tab, select your generated terrain and use the Scene context menu Show → Show hidden nodes
    You should now see a node called 'UltraSceneryXT water node' below your terrain node. You now can also change the shader on it manually.

I used a decal on this water node from DA Big Ocean in the following image:

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

@markusmatern That looks fantastic! Nicely done!

• 3Diva said:

@markusmatern That looks fantastic! Nicely done!

Thank you very much, glad you like it!

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Could someone point me to basic care & feeding tutorial on using layered shaders?  I picked up the Peck of Dirt https://www.daz3d.com/a-peck-of-dirt--iray-ground-and-dirt-shaders-for-daz-studi0 the other day. Looks fine for the single layered, but there's but not much info for using the multi layered. Most likely a Daz UI thing of having the correct something selected first as it keeps getting reset to single.

Doc Acme said:

Could someone point me to basic care & feeding tutorial on using layered shaders?  I picked up the Peck of Dirt https://www.daz3d.com/a-peck-of-dirt--iray-ground-and-dirt-shaders-for-daz-studi0 the other day. Looks fine for the single layered, but there's but not much info for using the multi layered. Most likely a Daz UI thing of having the correct something selected first as it keeps getting reset to single.

Sorry for the slow response. I got unsubscribed from the thread again.
    I don't think there is any documentation. It is a custom shader. Typical Daz metadata doesn't separate the single layer from the multilayer in Smart Content. The Content Library file structure is easier to use for this product, because it has separate folders for single and multi.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

OK B., thanks for that.  I'll keep poking at it. I need a lot more back burners.

• If I change the UltraScene translations, e.g. X -2057 and Z -2658, can one prevent it from reverting to the defaults when rebuilding it?

edited December 2022

DoctorJellybean said:

If I change the UltraScene translations, e.g. X -2057 and Z -2658, can one prevent it from reverting to the defaults when rebuilding it?

I don't know any direct way to do that, unfortunately. When an UltraScene is rebuilt, the UltraScene Terrain seems to be rebuilt from scratch in the default position.

If you create a null at your desired offset position (e.g. X -2057 and Z -2658) and then parent the UltraScene to it (not parent in place), when you rebuild the UltraScene, it will still be rebuilt in the old default location. The rebuilt UltraScene is still at a zero offset from the null, but the coordinates of the UltraScene Terrain have been adjusted from the default X -3200 and Z -3200 to values that will force the terrain into the default location. You can change those UltraScene Terrain X and Z offsets back to -3200, and the terrain will move back to your desired location. But this still requires manually editing X and Z coordinates, so what have you gained? The only gain is that you don't have to remember those complicated X and Z offset values; you always change the UltraScene Terrain location back to X -3200 and Z -3200, so there is slightly less to remember.

Woo Hoo - this is my 20,000th Daz Forum posting, according to the statistics by my avatar. I imagine 19,000 were about UltraScenery!

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

If I change the UltraScene translations, e.g. X -2057 and Z -2658, can one prevent it from reverting to the defaults when rebuilding it?

I don't know any direct way to do that, unfortunately. When an UltraScene is rebuilt, the UltraScene Terrain seems to be rebuilt from scratch in the default position.

If you create a null at your desired offset position (e.g. X -2057 and Z -2658) and then parent the UltraScene to it (not parent in place), when you rebuild the UltraScene, it will still be rebuilt in the old default location. The rebuilt UltraScene is still at a zero offset from the null, but the coordinates of the UltraScene Terrain have been adjusted from the default X -3200 and Z -3200 to values that will force the terrain into the default location. You can change those UltraScene Terrain X and Z offsets back to -3200, and the terrain will move back to your desired location. But this still requires manually editing X and Z coordinates, so what have you gained? The only gain is that you don't have to remember those complicated X and Z offset values; you always change the UltraScene Terrain location back to X -3200 and Y -3200, so there is slightly less to remember.

Woo Hoo - this is my 20,000th Daz Forum posting, according to the statistics by my avatar. I imagine 19,000 were about UltraScenery!

Thank you for the suggestion, and well done on the 20,000th milestone!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Congrats, @barbult, you are very productive and your posts are a pleasure to read.

Artini said:

Congrats, @barbult, you are very productive and your posts are a pleasure to read.

Thanks smiley

• @barbult You seem to know a lot about this lol. You don't happen to have tutorials on this or from someone that really shows what and how we can use ultrascenery. This seems like a very useful tool but the documentation isn't so helpful. I kind of wish people did video tutorials which is so much better. 

Theres so much I wanna know like the step by step process into creating custom height maps, custom ecology, connecting terrains with dirt paths aligned properly, shaping an area where water should be etc etc. 

Shadowz said:

@barbult You seem to know a lot about this lol. You don't happen to have tutorials on this or from someone that really shows what and how we can use ultrascenery. This seems like a very useful tool but the documentation isn't so helpful. I kind of wish people did video tutorials which is so much better. 

Theres so much I wanna know like the step by step process into creating custom height maps, custom ecology, connecting terrains with dirt paths aligned properly, shaping an area where water should be etc etc.

There is a video tutorial available in the Daz Store. It was created by Code6 6 (Totte), who is the creator of some excellent toolset addons for UltraScenery.

Have you investigated the Code 66 UltraScenery toolsets? They can help you create simple terrain maps and let you create new ecologies by combining selected layers from existing ecologies.

Have you read through this thread? There are a lot of very detailed examples here. If you want to create a custom ecology with other plants from your runtime, I have that example in excruciating detail in this thread.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,133

markusmatern said:

I don't own Iray OceanWorx, but got some water foam using DA Big Ocean.

After the generation of the UltrasceneryXT terrain select it in the  scene tab, select your generated terrain and use the Scene context menu Show → Show hidden nodes
    You should now see a node called 'UltraSceneryXT water node' below your terrain node. You now can also change the shader on it manually.

I used a decal on this water node from DA Big Ocean in the following image:

Great render!!

How many GB VRAM does such a render approximately take? As Boost for DAZ doesn't seem to be able to render ultrascenery projects, i'd like to know.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited March 2023

mding said:

How many GB VRAM does such a render approximately take?
    As Boost for DAZ doesn't seem to be able to render ultrascenery projects, i'd like to know.

It does, but in small doses.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on

DoctorJellybean said:

mding said:

As Boost for DAZ doesn't seem to be able to render ultrascenery projects, i'd like to know.

Oh, cool, thanks for telling me! Is there like a limit for instances ?

• mding said:

DoctorJellybean said:

mding said:

Oh, cool, thanks for telling me! Is there like a limit for instances ?

I don't know, but if you can render it on your system (albeit very slowly) then Boost will handle it. When picking a machine, select one with plenty GPU and cores.

edited March 2023

Got it, thankyou, @DoctorJellybean!

Post edited by mding on
    edited March 2023

I was on a farm picking strawberries and sunflowers a few days ago. As I was walking down the sandy road, I saw all the footprints on the path. I thought, "Huh, I could make a Daz Studio footprint decal of my own from that.", so I took a few photos. Most of the path is covered with leaves here in this Harpwood ecology, though.

Autumn Stroll

USC Autumn Stroll.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M

Photos from Southern Hill Farm, Clermont, Florida.

2023-03-09 P3096528_DxO_PL6.jpg
    5184 x 3888 - 7M
    2023-03-09 P3096526_DxO_PL6.jpg
    5184 x 3888 - 5M
    2023-03-09 P3096523_DxO_PL6.jpg
    5184 x 3888 - 3M
    Footprints.jpg
    2731 x 2048 - 4M
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,009

barbult said:

I was on a farm picking strawberries and sunflowers a few days ago. As I was walking down the sandy road, I saw all the footprints on the path. I thought, "Huh, I could make a Daz Studio footprint decal of my own from that.", so I took a few photos. Most of the path is covered with leaves here in this Harpwood ecology, though.

Autumn Stroll

WOW Barb.. that's great... better than plain ole dirt or sand ;)  Well done... I'm always taking 'texture' pictures... I need to learn how to make decals too.  Thanks for sharing.

Llola Lane said:

I need to learn how to make decals too.  Thanks for sharing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4fROdn_DMr8 

Here WP Guru shows us how to create a decal and project it on a t-shirt.

mding said:

Llola Lane said:

I need to learn how to make decals too.  Thanks for sharing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4fROdn_DMr8 

Here WP Guru shows us how to create a decal and project it on a t-shirt.

oo thank you.. I'll give it a watch and then try it ;)  

Some important things to remember about decals:

• The decal must be parented to the object you want it to display on.
    • The decal must intersect the object you want it to display on.
    • The decal must be oriented the right direction to match the orientation of the object you want it to display on. If it is visible, but looks like a bunch of lines, it is not rotated correctly.
    • The decal will only be visible in Iray preview or a full Iray render.

Have fun, but expect some frustration along the way. You can do it!

barbult said:

Some important things to remember about decals:

• The decal must be parented to the object you want it to display on.
    • The decal must intersect the object you want it to display on.
    • The decal must be oriented the right direction to match the orientation of the object you want it to display on. If it is visible, but looks like a bunch of lines, it is not rotated correctly.
    • The decal will only be visible in Iray preview or a full Iray render.

Have fun, but expect some frustration along the way. You can do it!

check.. check.. and check... I'll try this weekend.  (fingers crossed)

edited March 2023

More decal fun. The rider is OSO's Elder.

USC Footprint Decal Horse 3 OSO Elder.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Great examples, @barbult

I just wonder, if one could use some custom heightmaps with footprints to further extend UltraScenery.

• Only if you wanted canyons. The way that US extends the height maps, means that footprints on a map would be stretched and repeated to huge sizes. That's why the decals work better. They are sized for the terrain. 

Artini said:

Great examples, @barbult

I just wonder, if one could use some custom heightmaps with footprints to further extend UltraScenery.