Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• oh I thought it was Chrome being a PITA on my Win10 and was about to check for an update

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

if I was to guess I'd say the web people are experimenting with a Carrara Cube cool

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

My Profile Picture - or lack there of.

Apparently, the function to change forum profile picture is not working.  I change my forum pic often, usually to some excerpt from a challenge entry.  This time I am getting an error when I try to upload a new picture.  Unfortunately, I removed the old pic first.  For now I have one of the generic avatars.  Not a problem or particularly annoying, but maybe a few of you would have been curious.

Still getting an error trying to upload a profile pic.

Diomede said:

Still getting an error trying to upload a profile pic.

Profile pic upload successful!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

learnt a new thing

Americans call rissoles sausage 

bangers are link sausages 

I'm dead cheeky

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Americans call rissoles sausage 

My wife & I (both Americans) disagree, "sausage" is mostly just meat in various forms, frequently spiced (breakfast, link, etc.), but without the pastry.  We would call it an empanada, although that may be limited to areas with Tex-Mex restaurants. 

That does remind me of a comment at a baseball game, "Our leadoff batter is Randy, he's having trouble staying in the box."  The Americans just nodded, the the cricket loving Brit cracked up, saying"Tell him to take a cold shower!"  blush

edited January 2023

oh so you call something else rissoles too surprise

I cannot keep up

a rissole here is like a hamburger patty

it can be padded out with breadcrumbs and seasoning 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

McDonalds downunder have released a new food item this week .... Potato Scallops

half the country is in uproar! laugh

WendyLuvsCatz said:

oh so you call something else rissoles too surprise

I cannot keep up

a rissole here is like a hamburger patty

it can be padded out with breadcrumbs and seasoning 

Ah, I should have read the Wikipedia entry further.  

"In Australia and New Zealand, a rissole is patty of minced meat and other ingredients, *without* a pastry covering [as in Europe] but often covered in a breadcrumb coating, similar to Hamburg steak and Salisbury steak."  (emphasis mine).

Still not a sausage, but not an empanada either.   Closest my wife & I can get is "croquette", better fit than Hamburg or Salisbury steak.

So now its four countries separated by a common language.  wink

Stezza said:

McDonalds downunder have released a new food item this week .... Potato Scallops

half the country is in uproar! laugh

like macaroni and cheese and tuna casserole one of the easiest dishes to make in a hurry (you can just buy the bechamel sauce readymade) so just why?

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Ooooh Wendy, thanks for the bechamel tip. I can buy ready made here too in a tetra pack carton and it's very good especially for garlic/lemon/basil prawn pasta. My late mum's tuna casserole was a US recipe that used cream of mushroom soup. But in the UK our version of the same brand of mush soup is very strong flavoured, so I started using ceam of celery. But since Covid, I can't find it unless I go to Costco and get masses.  So now it's again a cupboard dinner I can make anytime as all ingredients are back on hand.  Thank you!  (Oh, and I don't put breadcrumbs/grated cheese on top, I use crushed crisps-aka US potato chips as the topping on the chopped tomato layer).  

heart Silene

the year the Earth’s inner core stopped spinning. Who had that on their 2023 bingo card! cool

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,680

Stezza said:

the year the Earth’s inner core stopped spinning. Who had that on their 2023 bingo card! cool

Does that mean that gravity is going to stop and we are all going to float off ? devil

Stezza said:

sounds ominous 

edited January 2023

a whole year has passed since my Brother and SIL's cat went missing

They have been putting up flyers all year

yesterday they got him back from the Animal Welfare League

he was found the other side of the city and of course he was microchipped

well fed so someone looked after him but he cannot talk so no idea where he was for a year

I'd say the cat just wanted to do what the cat wanted to do wink

for a year...

wow... 

were they happy to see it again or did they have to explain to it the replacement if there was one smiley

• Stezza said:

I'd say the cat just wanted to do what the cat wanted to do wink

for a year...

wow... 

were they happy to see it again or did they have to explain to it the replacement if there was one smiley

the dog is OK with seeing him again, they were great friends and she sulked a long time after he disappeared 

not sure about their new cat, when I last chatted they hadn't met yet

If anyone has the time and inclination, consider voting for the Challenge at https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/619116/carrara-challenge-65-turning-points-voting-thread#latest

Please consider voting in the current Carrara challenge: Turning Points.  Thank you to SteveK, Bunyip02, Stezza, and ed3D for voting, but it is a little embarrassing for our good friends the Bryce folks to outvote non-participant Carrarians.   

I need some 3D Regalia

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Well, Wendy... if you could have modelled some up, you could get a tidy sum!  Yikes!

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/various/various-models/crown-and-sceptre

surprise SIlene

SileneUK said:

Well, Wendy... if you could have modelled some up, you could get a tidy sum!  Yikes!

surprise SIlene

holy crap surprise 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,680

WendyLuvsCatz said:

SileneUK said:

surprise SIlene

holy crap surprise 

Not called the crown jewels for nothing !!!

edited May 2023

a better buy IMO, at least one can actually wear the replica crown and prance around with the sceptres and swords, rub the orb.

I saw some interviews with younger UK folks who are not too impressed with the royals.  One called them mannequins for robes and jewels.  I guess we colonials have to be satisfied with the Red Carpet celebrities.

wink

didn't watch the coronation

watched the footy then MasterChef only because the missus wouldn't let me watch Lego Masters! cool

edited May 2023

I said already but since I need to measure my words and you may have missed it

I only watched to see the bling and stuff

my views on Royalty are best left unsaid

that orb

Fresh from the shores of the antipodes, wafting the scent of the eucalypt trees smiley

edited May 2023