New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2022

Samantha (G8F)      Eilis Hair (G8F)          dF Chic Party Fashion (G8F)         Studio Light Pro HDRI Iray Wow Lights          

I hadn't tried the Wow Lights, many of the results when clicking around the various options seemed the same to me. The arrow selections are what really move the lights and you'll see a difference. I rotated the dome on my own too. If you haven't tried these lights, see what you get with them. I like the results and will do a few more characters with them to play around when I get time. Relatives are in town (my sister, niece, etc) to see mom (she is 95 so we're taking one Christmas at a time at this point) so I'll be gone most the day. I'll see if I can setup and render while I'm gone. 

Have any of you noticed how the search in your Product Library continues to be garbage? It broke about two years ago (when we had all that trouble with the website, gallery images going ka-put, etc) and hasn't been right since.  I typed in Chic Party Fashion and GOT NOTHING. Come on! How much more does the stupid thing need?  Just because dForce wasn't in front of it, it refused to show anything. 

Samantha Ellis Hair Chic Party Fashion 2.png
    675 x 800 - 465K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • I think they got it from the same people who wrote the one for Win11 which can't even find a file that is visiable on the screen. I know this because I tried it just to see and after about an hour it reported no file found

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

@Novica, As I have been installing 'item by item' into my MacBook Pro and looking at the items in my Product Library, I have found that there has been a change in some of the names. 'dForce' missing or added, names rearranged, sometimes a new name altogether. It takes me looking at the promo pages I printed when I bought an item, its materials, or the bundle to track it down, or look up the PA's store, or any number of ways to find the new name. And to confirm by the SKU #. I really wish they would link add-ons to the primary item again, instead of advertising unrelated products you may not be interested in. 

Many of the thumbnails that someone took time to create have been replaced with bare bones, grey background, with a character in an A pose and the outfit on it. And almost too small to see. Or replaced with the DAZ filler one.

Don't get me started on the old Poser style file structure for metadata I keep having to fix in my new products. And since metadata is the responsibility of Daz, not the PAs, I have no idea how they are ignoring their own guidelines.

If I buy an item that is old, prior to metadata, I have no issue with creating it, and making a thumbnail if needed, but new items, they should be good to go before being put into the store.

Mary

On a positive note, my doctor did a PCR test on me today, and I am negative for Covid, Flu - A, Flu - B, and RSV. Now if I could just start feeling better. More snow tonight, it's raining now and again on New Years Day. 

edited December 2022

@memcneil70   That's great news about your negative tests! There is a LOT of "crud" going around- and can you imagine what the spread will be with all those stranded passengers in such close quarters for days? I saw a cartoon today- "How is Covid doing better than Southwest Airlines?"  Answer:  "It's airborne." 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2022

Okay, I put Samantha in the post (go up a few) but here she is using the WOW lights. The lights really make the hair look soft. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2022

Novica said:

I saw a cartoon today- "How is Covid doing better than Southwest Airlines?"  Answer:  "It's airborne." 

LOL. Love it. Three days ago DIA had over 10,000 items (or three carosel area's worth) of lost baggage and yesterday it was down to one carosel. I have heard two reasons for Southwest's problems: 1. Has no hub, so aircraft and crews stuck all over the states. 2. Antiquated software, can't keep up with normal workload, much less a disaster.

I will put those lights on my wishlist now. Thanks for showing the difference. I have the hair, it was the 40s feel and barretts that sold me on it. I took a longer look at the dress by Nathy, and if she did an add-on with a longer skirt, I would buy both. It reminds me of the gorgeous dresses Hollywood actresses would wear to premieres in the 40s & 50s. Elegant. Or I can buy what she has, and make the skirt myself in Marvelous Designer.

We got four inches of snow over night. Only a few more hours until this storm moves out towards the east. I hope everyone stays safe.

Edit to Add: Both artists are in the sale section today, so after adding dForce Lupineve Hair for G8 and 8.1 by AprilYSH I missed when it came out, I used my PA coupon and picked them up along with two new or newish items. Total cart cost was $34.78, I had $2.56 in tax.

Post edited by memcneil70 on

Glad you mentioned your coupons- Daz+ folks, don't forget to use them as end of month is here in a day or two. @memcneil70  You got good deals. I haven't been online until now, so will go take a look at today's offerings.

YES!!!!!!! It's 73 degrees here in Pensacola, temperature still climbing at 2:20pm

We had 7.5 inches of snow at DIA, but a lot more on the western side of Denver. Where I live, about 5 - 6 inches. I walked to the pub for sandwiches and the slush was about 2 - 3 feet from the curb and deep. And we get into the 40s tomorrow. More snow Sunday to Monday. Finally Winter is here. So need the water. I was thinking how Bugsy would have loved this a year ago. He would have been burying his head and rolling in it for an hour.

• Novica said:

YES!!!!!!! It's 73 degrees here in Pensacola, temperature still climbing at 2:20pm

63 in New Jersey today!  A serious change from slightly below 0 on Christmas Eve:)  

• Was 84 on Thrsday and 81 Frday

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Novica said:

"How is Covid doing better than Southwest Airlines?"  Answer:  "It's airborne." 

Now that is hilarious!

I feel for all those people who got stranded and had their holidays ruined. We told out two youngest kids (who both live in Washington State while we live in Ohio) not to even bother flying home for the holidays, so they came in between. Too many people, too much bad weather, and too expensive on the actual holidays.

Happy New Year Novica and everyone else!

Thread notifications aren't working again. (I saw the thread over in Commons about the icons missing and uploading images problems. Haven't tried it today.)  
    @rgcincy saw your Fisio thread over there. Is there anything you can't do?  
    Happy New Year everyone!  Staying home as usual. Dogs went out to go to the bathroom but early fireworks had them trotted to the door with a "Don't need that, headed in!" attitude. @memcneil70 I know you're missing Bugsy, particularly holidays are hard. Hugs from my critters!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

Happy New Year! laugh

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Jan 1, 2023 - Happy New Year

Happy, happy New Year all! I hope you all have health, peace, and a winning lottery ticket!

Thanks Novica. I believe the best way to deal with a death of a beloved is to welcome their memories into your heart.

Mary

• Happy New Year

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Happy new year!

• Happy New Year!

This video is amazing- a whale watching expedition was in for a real treat- a whale giving birth!   The way the mom just lounged around, making sure her baby was resting on her fin and just taking it easy by the boats was just amazing!

@Novica, what a wonderful visual to wake up to. Thank you so much.

Mary

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

I have to agree! ....great render :D

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,691

Those barnacles look painful though.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Saw that on the news last night. They first saw blood in the water and thought it was an injured whale until a baby popped up. Surprise! That would have been exciting to be on board.

Have any of you tried the Generic Kids Shapes?  The chest on the little girl seems flatter (more desired) than the Growing Up product (which does give more age ranges, but at 2.00 I'm going to try Generic Kids Shapes too.) 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Novica said:

Have any of you tried the Generic Kids Shapes?  The chest on the little girl seems flatter (more desired) than the Growing Up product (which does give more age ranges, but at 2.00 I'm going to try Generic Kids Shapes too.) 

I don't have them. The promo images kind of gave me nightmares, like Caryn and Tobyn.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited January 2023

Novica said:

Wasn't it a freebie or something? I have them but have never used them. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

@barbult  LOL yep, I see the strong resemblance. I'm more interested in the flatter chest for the gals and doing morphs for the faces, etc. 

I have them, finally tested the girl. I had to load the base figure, apply the morph, and then adjust the head. As was said at the time, you can use character sliders to change the kids to look as you wish, and change their textures... She was okay for what she was designed for, to bring a Gen 4 Kid up to G8. I didn't try a Gen 4 outfit on her though.

Can't remember which computer I used to test her, but if it was the MacBook Pro, can't get in there right now. Apple forced me to update to Ventura and I am trying to get DAZ and DIM to work again. In the middle of backing up my DIM files before I uninstall it. I can't get it to let me work offline, it is totally borked. Going to get fresh installs.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited January 2023

Remember when I griped about the error in the X Fashion Style for Fall sweater back in November 2022? I gave up on Daz ever fixing it, so I took in into Blender and fixed the intersecting  mesh myself. Here is the morph I created. If you want to use it, just unzip the Content.zip file and merge the data folder with the data folder in your Daz library. I set the default to 100%, so that the fix is always dialed in, because I never want to load the broken sweater without the fix. I thought about just updating the base mesh, but then I couldn't share it. If Daz ever issues an update, you can just delete my morph.

zip
    zip
    Content.zip
    Post edited by barbult on