New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

genaris said:

Hello and Happy Punch Card Shopping to All! :) 

Has anyone bought the Daz+ product https://www.daz3d.com/firing-range and if so, can you tell me if any of the numerous single and double doors that go into the halls and rooms of that set actually OPEN?  The product description doesn't mention anything about any opening doors and NONE of the promo pics show any of the doors opened... 
      ~Gen

Gen, the door to the ammunition road does indeed open, and another one going to a different section also opens. I got lost in the maze (LOL) literally... you get your money's worth with the set, once you start wandering around it's quite nice what's included. I don't think any of the doors on the outside walls open, the only ones I found were in the interior. :) Cheers!

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Hi Novica! and THANKS for that info.  Yeah, that set does seem like a maze in the promos. I keep looking at it because it just looks really well done. Glad to hear some doors do open, since it opens up :)  dynamic possibilities for scenes LOL - I guess I AM really looking to get it now that i know-- and hey, luckily, it's time for ... another seasonal sales event... so I should be able to get a good deal on it! :)
      ~Gen

@genaris  I just found two more- double doors, leading to the corridor.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

ohh goody, since those double doors would really be fun to have opened/opening in a scene with dramatic lighting and contrasts between the inside and outside of the doorway...  THANK YOU SO MUCH for investigating and reporting on this set. :)    Now I really do have the taste in my mouth for it...
      ~Gen

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Novica said:

genaris said:

Hello and Happy Punch Card Shopping to All! :) 

Has anyone bought the Daz+ product https://www.daz3d.com/firing-range and if so, can you tell me if any of the numerous single and double doors that go into the halls and rooms of that set actually OPEN?  The product description doesn't mention anything about any opening doors and NONE of the promo pics show any of the doors opened... 
      ~Gen

Gen, the door to the ammunition road does indeed open, and another one going to a different section also opens. I got lost in the maze (LOL) literally... you get your money's worth with the set, once you start wandering around it's quite nice what's included. I don't think any of the doors on the outside walls open, the only ones I found were in the interior. :) Cheers!

I forgot I wanted that set, thanks, but wow, it seems a lot more expensive then I remember it being.

Don't forget to use your Daz+ coupons, even though it's already switched to December (with a 12) just substitute in 11 and they work. I went to the featured artists' stores and just selected Daz Originals as the artist and found a lot of things available. I had been waiting on Mateo Hair.

dF Casual Style Outfit BUNDLE (yep, bundle) was only 1.58 and Mateo Hair was 2.22   It depends on your punches, etc.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Thanks for the reminder! I forgot about them this month.

edited December 2022

I was pleased to pick up Enclosed Side Garden  by Predatron and also just bought P3D Sandara (G8.1F)  so I put her in the scene. She has Layered Long Hair (G8) which has a ton of morphs. I didn't change anything, want to point out the the Alyssa Dress and Heels has a black line/section along the inside hem of the neckline. It can easily be colored out. I didn't dForce the dress so the sleeve looks rather like a stiff bell.

My main thing was to check the grass and leaves of the plant, and I am pleased there's not blatantly flat, floating leaves which some other products have. These overall look like real plants. (Heads up, the winter edition add-on seems to still be in the sale, says 4.99 right now.)  

I have an issue- I tried using depth of field and got a green hazy/cloudy effect. She was in the boxes (I've done DOF for years) and this is after the latest studio install. I turned fireflies off (I think I should have that on?) and can't find anything else which would give me the bloom. Any ideas or suggestions?  Edit- one thing I found is the settings had been erased when I changed lights- I HATE that. It reset to Gaussian Blur instead of Mitchell, the max time and samples were reset, etc. Trying a render now.

p3d Sandra Alyssa Dress Long Layered Hr.png
    900 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2022

I solved it. It was a leaf from a tree that was just in a sweet spot to be DOF'd out and partially in the render so it was a blurry addition. This is just a 40% render, you can see part of it in the right corner (I moved the camera so most of it is gone.)  The Side Garden is really a nice set, love the rain barrel catching the water from the gutter. And that grass is great!!!!

p3d Sandra Alyssa Dress Long Layered Hr 2.png
    900 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2022

Here's a Photoshop plug-in I hadn't tested. I posted it in the Photoshop Playtime thread with details. If you're looking for a cartoon style that isn't greatly exaggerated, this is for you. And it's super easy to use.

ORIGINAL (render from a few years ago of Aurore)

Digital Cartoon Painting (product 39949832 Graphic River)  You can make her as light or dark as you want, change the range of highlights and shadows, all within the layers themselves.

Post edited by Novica on

looks pretty good

Hey guys!
    @darwinsmishap is having a fundraiser for a senior dog group over on Facebook for his birthday. If you go to my facebook page (pnscola) or his (mined.destruction) you'll see the post. Senior dogs are the best, and of course most likely to be overlooked, animals at rescue groups. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Playing with animation again and ended up with this short.

Flying Log

Novica said:

Hey guys!
    @darwinsmishap is having a fundraiser for a senior dog group over on Facebook for his birthday. If you go to my facebook page (pnscola) or his (mined.destruction) you'll see the post. Senior dogs are the best, and of course most likely to be overlooked, animals at rescue groups. 

A starved foxhound got in from of my car and stopped me this past summer so saw he was really badly starving when he came up to my window to get petted. So I rescued him. I don't think he weighed more than 20 lbs then. He had heartworms and two types of lyme disease, the vet said. I once had a severe tick transmitted disease in May 2009 where I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks with a 104 degree fever so I thought maybe that was part of the reason for his weight loss. They get abandoned alot once they are no longer used for hunting or the kids loose interest. He is the politest dog, so polite that you think he is harmless, but as a hunting dog, he will go after animals if triggered. He's up do about 40 - 50 lbs and very active again. I didn't know his given name, so I call him Sam.

I'm having a lot of fun with the aquarium webcams across the U.S.  Take a peek- and there's links to the other webcams at their location.
    For Monterey Bay Aquarium, start with the jellyfish. All cameras are live at the moment throughout the US then at night you can watch the recordings from the day if you missed them.
    And right now (2:20pm Central) the divers are in the shark tank. They will post when they feed and get in the tanks on some of the sites.

Here's Aquarium of the Pacific webcam page. 
    My fav- the Puffins at Georgia Aquarium.   They're not always in frame but then suddenly they'll dive in right in front of the camera. I named one Alfred LOL.You can go to the home page for the rest of the webcams. :)  Enjoy! 

nonesuch00 said:

He is the politest dog, so polite that you think he is harmless, but as a hunting dog, he will go after animals if triggered. He's up do about 40 - 50 lbs and very active again. I didn't know his given name, so I call him Sam.

Good for you, having compassion for an animal in need. Wish more folks were like you! 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,768

I took my son when we were first stationed at Vandenberg AFB to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in the early 1990s. Drove up Highway 1, and drove back Highway 101 as it was much faster, and no sheer cliffs. Thank you for the links Novica.

Here is one my flatmate enjoys from the Namibia Desert on YouTube and is of the wild animals there. There is often a variety of them during the day/night and their social interactions are fascinating. The country maintains a camera at a watering hole they built for them.

@Fishtales, That was an interesting short video. I want to thank you for the post you did a long time ago for the set 'Winterland' by Alessandro AM and LMX3D. It showed that the set was still usable after Iray came out, so I bought it today. And I loved the render you did in Aug 2016.

Mary

Which reminds me, when I was sent to MacDill AFB to do some work we visited the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, Florida. I loved it. It was a blast. Those river otters would come right up to their display windows and mess around with us. The glass was very high luckily so neither side was in danger.

Home - The Florida Aquarium (flaquarium.org)

And here is a link to a very funny and very weird music video from about 22 years ago if you want a "what?!" (several of them actually laugh) and a couple of chuckles. My gosh, what is in that Aussie, Canadian, and English water?

memcneil70 said:

Here is one my flatmate enjoys from the Namibia Desert on YouTube and is of the wild animals there. There is often a variety of them during the day/night and their social interactions are fascinating. The country maintains a camera at a watering hole they built for them.

@Fishtales, That was an interesting short video. I want to thank you for the post you did a long time ago for the set 'Winterland' by Alessandro AM and LMX3D. It showed that the set was still usable after Iray came out, so I bought it today. And I loved the render you did in Aug 2016.

Mary

Helo Mary

I watch the Namibia camera too . There is also one in the Kalahari and a Facebook page with a community page where viewers  post screen grabs and videos.

Phew, that was a long while ago :) I liked that image too and yet I don't think I have used the set much since, I'll need to have a look through my images and scenes to see. Thank you for the nice comments. The short video just happened the way these things do and became more than was intended :)

• Fishtales said:

memcneil70 said:

Mary

Helo Mary

I watch the Namibia camera too . There is also one in the Kalahari and a Facebook page with a community page where viewers  post screen grabs and videos.

Phew, that was a long while ago :) I liked that image too and yet I don't think I have used the set much since, I'll need to have a look through my images and scenes to see. Thank you for the nice comments. The short video just happened the way these things do and became more than was intended :)

Just booke marked the Nambia site had some gorgeous Oryx on it just now. 

Robert Freise said:

Just booke marked the Nambia site had some gorgeous Oryx on it just now. 

Have a look at the Community page on Facebook for a load of videos and images of a lot of the animals and activities. No need to join Facebook to view them just close the pop up.

https://www.facebook.com/namibianatureandparks/community/?ref=page_internal

edited December 2022

memcneil70 said:

Mary

I looked out Winterland and stuck Yeti in it :)

Yeti In The Snow

2022-12-13 11:52:12.442 Total Rendering Time: 13 minutes 12.8 seconds

Click on image for full size.

yeti-in-the-snow-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Cool 

@Robert Freise Thank you.

The Yeti totally fits in the Winterland.

Did you find any differences in using it in 2022 from when you last used it in 2016, with all the updates to DAZ Studio?

edited December 2022

Fishtales said:

memcneil70 said:

Mary

I looked out Winterland and stuck Yeti in it :)

Yeti In The Snow

2022-12-13 11:52:12.442 Total Rendering Time: 13 minutes 12.8 seconds

Click on image for full size.

Looks good, although he looks somewhat annoyed he didn't get no Christmas cookies.

Post edited by Elliandra on

memcneil70 said:

Did you find any differences in using it in 2022 from when you last used it in 2016, with all the updates to DAZ Studio?

I worked on it in Studio 4.21.1.13 Public Build fixing the snow, lighting and cameras doing lots of renders to get it right. I added the Yeti, set the camera and redid some lighting and when I tried a render it was just a black image. I have had this quite often with the 4.20/21 Public Builds but it sometimes comes right if I start moving and tweaking things, this was one of the times that no matter what I did it would only render a black image. I saved the file and fired up Studio 4.15.0.30 loaded it and it rendered fine. I don't know what it is that causes the black render in Studio 4.21 but I am just glad I keep 4.15 as a backup :)

nonesuch00 said:

Looks good, although he looks somewhat annoyed he didn't get no Christmas cookies.

He doesn't like getting his picture taken, he had two full boxes of cookies. 

Fishtales said:

memcneil70 said:

I worked on it in Studio 4.21.1.13 Public Build fixing the snow, lighting and cameras doing lots of renders to get it right. I added the Yeti, set the camera and redid some lighting and when I tried a render it was just a black image. I have had this quite often with the 4.20/21 Public Builds but it sometimes comes right if I start moving and tweaking things, this was one of the times that no matter what I did it would only render a black image. I saved the file and fired up Studio 4.15.0.30 loaded it and it rendered fine. I don't know what it is that causes the black render in Studio 4.21 but I am just glad I keep 4.15 as a backup :)

OKay, so I am a complete idiot on Daz Studio, but could the issue with 4.20/4.21 be related to the update Nvidia did at that time and messed up the lighting you used? I run into that myself and have to switch light products sometimes, if I can't up the (amps) (can't remember the proper term).

Where is @Richard Hazeltine when you need him?

You know, I get that black image when I try to render with a 3DL skydome but I am doing an Iray render. I have to track down all the lighting in the old files and close them down.

Mary

memcneil70 said:

OKay, so I am a complete idiot on Daz Studio, but could the issue with 4.20/4.21 be related to the update Nvidia did at that time and messed up the lighting you used? I run into that myself and have to switch light products sometimes, if I can't up the (amps) (can't remember the proper term).

Where is @Richard Hazeltine when you need him?

You know, I get that black image when I try to render with a 3DL skydome but I am doing an Iray render. I have to track down all the lighting in the old files and close them down.

Mary

No, this was a new scene that I had been working on and was rendering right up to loading the Yeti. It has happened in other scenes, new and old, through a couple of Betas and Nvidia driver updates so it is either studio or something in my setup. I just loaded the scene into 4.21 again, didn't touch anything, and it rendered fine so what causes a black render will remain a mystery :)