New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Interesting! The one with the female is a "Turn around!" moment for sure. I hadn't remembered Skinchangers and apparently I own it LOL.

• NathNath Posts: 2,728
    edited October 2022

After a bit of hesitation I jumped on the Genesis 9 train, and so I've been playing a bit here and there. I picked up V9 and CB Arceli as characters, the various morphs, and a bunch of clothes.

This is CB Arceli with a dialed in male character/shape. The Iron Lady Outfit works well on the male shape. Hair is G8.

The character is a bit on the androgynous side, but I was aiming for 'Elf' (ears covered by hair), should be possible to get a more typically masculine look.

arceli male.png
    1052 x 885 - 2M
    Post edited by Nath on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,777

I am just now getting a chance to play with yesterday's bundle. That is nice @Nath. Same outfit I am trying on G9 that I am playing with the shapes on.

The PAs did some nice work and listened to us very well on what we have been wanting.

@nath  Agree with Mary- nicely done!

edited October 2022

This is my take of G9 female base with some shaping modifications in the Iron Lady Outfit also. After simulation, you can see the one quibble I would have with it, the skirt back, which looks perfect for tripping someone in a fight. Otherwise the outfit is nice to work with.

And until the render firmed up, I didn't realize the broken down building wasn't really designed for close-ups. But what the heck, I went with it anyways, I liked the space.

G9F Mod 1 Highlands.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on

@memcneil70   I like the layered ensemble, makes it interesting even if not practical. Nice lighting too, really softens her features.

edited October 2022

Thanks @Novica.

I re-rendered the scene without the skirt and the building, adding in a horse.

The skirt has two material zones, the waistband and then the front and the back flap area. If it had a texture taking it to a kind of side chaps, with a split and ending in the back where the front does, it would work. Especially in leather, reinforced with metal. Only one texture so far.

The light is part of the set, and two of the new ghost lights for 4.20.

Mary

Without skirt.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on

I do like the second one better. But then again, there's a horse  cheeky

• Novica said:

I do like the second one better. But then again, there's a horse  cheeky

Same here 

Yeah the horse is great. Not sure about the saddle, but need a Middle Ages knight or a comman man's saddle and saddle bags. (Started this around 0430, but cloudfare killed session, just got back to it. Part of entry still there.)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,256

There's an orange banner out for early Black Friday savings: $5 off any order of $15 or more (excluding new and gift cards), and it's unlimited use, so I'm making a bunch of orders as close to $15 as I can. 

I'm being ultra selective in what I buy nowadays and I couldn't pass up that take $5 off any daz original over 7 dollars. Got this for $2.38
    BTW, I did get that $5 in my account for taking that survey (a couple weeks ago I think.)  That was rather nice.

Ardamir Hair for Genesis 8 and 8.1

recent best $7.38

$23.95     $2.38     90% Off

Okay, this is driving me nuts. What is the name of that fish-thingie that has a cute face, and flowing fins? I thought it had an x or a z in the name, sounds spanish? I can't look it up as I have no clue.

edited November 2022

Robert Freise said:

You don't mean this one by any chance

https://www.daz3d.com/amipiscus-friendly-fish-original-figure

No, I'd already seen that one :)   But good guess!  I am not finding it under fish at all. I don't THINK it's a reptile/amphibian, but maybe I should expand my search. Thanks for trying to help! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Ah, NorthOf45 beat me to it I had to look up how to spell it.. lol

NorthOf45 said:

Toon Axolotl for Genesis 8 Males?

YES!!!!!!!!  Thank you!!! 

edited November 2022

Daventaki said:

I knew it was a weird spelling and had an x or z in it. Man, trying to do a search for something like that was excruciatingly hard cheeky  And no flowing fins. I guess I was remembering the tail- and it's certainly NOT a fish. No wonder Robert (and I) went the wrong direction.

Post edited by Novica on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

Novica said:

Daventaki said:

I knew it was a weird spelling and had an x or z in it. Man, trying to do a search for something like that was excruciatingly hard cheeky  And no flowing fins. I guess I was remembering the tail- and it's certainly NOT a fish. No wonder Robert (and I) went the wrong direction.

It is a type of salamander...

I also have the textures and one of the pose packs.

edited November 2022

Awww, the mudpuppies!   That was actually one of my Army nicknames, Mud Puppy. We had just done the 75 foot Slide For Life (you're up 75 feet and hanging onto a bar, then you slide at a angle down over a lake and have to drop before you hit the concrete barrier/ whatever anchors it at the end. Well, I did THAT fine, but when I got out of the lake and was climbing up the eight foot slope, the bank crumbled and I yelped as the entire thing collapsed backwards onto me. About 50 people had gone ahead of me and the embankment had gotten pummeled with people going up it and weakened it.

I went down and under the water in a cascade of mud. Hence, the first thing I heard as guys waded in to unstick me from the mud and water was, "Are you okay Mud Puppy?" The name of course stuck, and we all got a big grin out of it. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169
    edited November 2022

Well it's a fair long time since I last posted anything here, but this week I bought the Bachelor and Bachelorette Mega Bundle because it was so cheap (cost me less than £13 for two characters, three hairs, two outfits, two apartment environments and some poses) so here's my first posted Gen9 render.

Here is Biddie wth James hair and the X Fashion Style outfit. I don't often buy females characters any more because I have a huge excess of Gen8 ones, but as this is my first Gen9 female (and as I said the bundle was so cheap) I made an exception.

The necklace is esha's Sparkling Jewelry for G8F which autofitted perfectly well. The earrings are from Floral Bliss Jewelry for G8F which toook a bit more fiddling to get them on her ears.

Biddie.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 559K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Before I bought that bundle I had been playing around with the Gen9 Starter Esssentials (i.e. for free) and following SickleYield's old tutorial for moving morphs by Transfer Utility from older to newer generations. It works pretty well. Here is Sanjay 8 moved to Gen9 with Skin02 from the Starter essentials, and one of my own Blender-made head morphs for G8M moved to Gen9 with Skin01.

Also a dial-spun female using just the assymetrical face morphs from the free starter essentials.

Sanjay-on-G9.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 480K
    FaceML02-Skin1.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 516K
    G9F-First-Look.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 630K

They look good Melanie :)  It's nice to see with fiddling the G8 stuff might work with the G9. 

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Hello and Happy Punch Card Shopping to All! :) 

Has anyone bought the Daz+ product https://www.daz3d.com/firing-range and if so, can you tell me if any of the numerous single and double doors that go into the halls and rooms of that set actually OPEN?  The product description doesn't mention anything about any opening doors and NONE of the promo pics show any of the doors opened... 
      ~Gen

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218

@MelanieL Your renders look nice! When you used the sweater in the Biddie render, did you notice a texture problem on the sweater lapel?

I was disappointed that the G9 Biddie had eyes that did not follow the G9 convention of separate LIE iris and sclere. The very dark ring around the default brown iris also looks strange to me. Another disappointment was that the makeup didn't use either the PBR makeup technique or the LIE makeup technique; they simply replaced the entire character texture, as far as I could see. I had made a surface modification to reduce her shininess. When I applied makeup, all my surface changes were overwritten. The HDR in Biddie is barely perceptable, even at subD 4. If I had purchased her alone (not as part of the cheap bundle), I would have returned her. I was surprised that an Emrys character did not live up to my expectations.

XF Fall Sweater Mesh Error.jpg
    1281 x 1593 - 575K

@barbult - ah, that's interesting! I must admit that I didn't look below the neckline when I used that sweater. I'll try and take a look tomorrow (it's past bedtime here).

I also changed the eye colour before I even started the render, so I didn't notice anything unusual about the brown eye texture. I used the makeup and noticed it was not LIE (actually I liked that because it loaded much quicker) - I don't expect to use Biddie all that often to be honest, the cheap buy-in was just an incentive for me to put my toes into the Gen9 water..

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218

MelanieL said:

@barbult - ah, that's interesting! I must admit that I didn't look below the neckline when I used that sweater. I'll try and take a look tomorrow (it's past bedtime here).

I also changed the eye colour before I even started the render, so I didn't notice anything unusual about the brown eye texture. I used the makeup and noticed it was not LIE (actually I liked that because it loaded much quicker) - I don't expect to use Biddie all that often to be honest, the cheap buy-in was just an incentive for me to put my toes into the Gen9 water..

Victoria 9 is 100 times better. I recommend her if you are looking for a photogenic G9 female. Catch her on sale sometime.

barbult said:

MelanieL said:

Victoria 9 is 100 times better. I recommend her if you are looking for a photogenic G9 female. Catch her on sale sometime.

Oh yes, she's on my wishlist - well actually that Fantasy Megabundle wich included her is in the wishlist, because I didn't have the budget when it came out but I'm hopeful it may turn up at a good price before the end of the Holiday sale.