New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@barbult  How very thoughtful! 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,729

@barbult Thank you so much. I haven't even downloaded it yet, but I'm glad you solved the problem before I encountered it.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,776

Thank you @barbult. I had blocked that sweater out of my mind because of the error in it. This is a great gift.

Mary

Not sure how many of you are on Twitter, but my feed from Colorado's NW Parks had a Red Fox that was in its Black fur coat coloration caught on film yesterday. I opened up the #WildLifeWednesday link and found alot of film and still of animals I thought you might enjoy if you are on twitter. I couldn't find an internet link.

• HeavyRayHeavyRay Posts: 171

barbult said:

Remember when I griped about the error in the X Fashion Style for Fall sweater back in November 2022? I gave up on Daz ever fixing it, so I took in into Blender and fixed the intersecting  mesh myself. Here is the morph I created. If you want to use it, just unzip the Content.zip file and merge the data folder with the data folder in your Daz library. I set the default to 100%, so that the fix is always dialed in, because I never want to load the broken sweater without the fix. I thought about just updating the base mesh, but then I couldn't share it. If Das ever issues an update, you can just delete my morph.

Barb - you are the BEST!!!   Thank you for sharing your work (again) with the community!!!   - Ray

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168

barbult said:

Remember when I griped about the error in the X Fashion Style for Fall sweater back in November 2022? I gave up on Daz ever fixing it, so I took in into Blender and fixed the intersecting  mesh myself. Here is the morph I created. If you want to use it, just unzip the Content.zip file and merge the data folder with the data folder in your Daz library. I set the default to 100%, so that the fix is always dialed in, because I never want to load the broken sweater without the fix. I thought about just updating the base mesh, but then I couldn't share it. If Daz ever issues an update, you can just delete my morph.

Aaargh, I remember I was supposed to be checking that sweater after your first post back in November! Sorry, I completely forgot. I guess the fault is proven to be a general one by now.

Thank you very much for the fix too heart

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

MelanieL said:

barbult said:

Remember when I griped about the error in the X Fashion Style for Fall sweater back in November 2022? I gave up on Daz ever fixing it, so I took in into Blender and fixed the intersecting  mesh myself. Here is the morph I created. If you want to use it, just unzip the Content.zip file and merge the data folder with the data folder in your Daz library. I set the default to 100%, so that the fix is always dialed in, because I never want to load the broken sweater without the fix. I thought about just updating the base mesh, but then I couldn't share it. If Daz ever issues an update, you can just delete my morph.

Aaargh, I remember I was supposed to be checking that sweater after your first post back in November! Sorry, I completely forgot. I guess the fault is proven to be a general one by now.

It would be interesting to know if you see the same error, though. Although Customer Service reproduced the problem when I submitted my bug report, so, I guess you don't really need to.

edited January 2023

Here's an example of the unfixed sweater.

Ane here's the fixed sweater (my morph applied).

V9 XF Sweater No Fix_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    V9 XF Sweater Fix_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • galiengalien Posts: 136

barbult said:

MelanieL said:

barbult said:

It would be interesting to know if you see the same error, though. Although Customer Service reproduced the problem when I submitted my bug report, so, I guess you don't really need to.

@barbult, I also have an open support ticket for this item.  In addition to the issue with the lapel, I reported texture issues at the bottom of the front zip and an issue where it loads at the wrong resolution.  Interestingly, none of the promo images on the product page show any of these issues, but the promo for the bundle shows all of them.

Okay, I'm totally dense. What difference am I looking for? I'm clicking back and forth, squinting, and not seeing a difference. Duh is my middle name LOL

edited January 2023

Novica said:

Okay, I'm totally dense. What difference am I looking for? I'm clicking back and forth, squinting, and not seeing a difference. Duh is my middle name LOL

Look at the area above the breast, where the unfixed sweater texture is poking through the lapel texture.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 165111.jpg
    586 x 584 - 105K
    Post edited by barbult on

galien said:

@barbult, I also have an open support ticket for this item.  In addition to the issue with the lapel, I reported texture issues at the bottom of the front zip and an issue where it loads at the wrong resolution.  Interestingly, none of the promo images on the product page show any of these issues, but the promo for the bundle shows all of them.

Yes, I also noticed that the sweater loaded at Base resolution, not the High Resolution that it comes with. Base Resolution looks terrible unless the character is very small and far away in the scene. I rendered mine at High Resolution SubD 2. 

The texture stretching at the bottom center is caused by mesh stretching and also strange UV mapping in that area, I think. It looks like the mesh was smoothed in that area, spreading out the vertices. I made an attempt to adjust the mesh in Blender today, but the UV mapping is still an issue, and the Base Shape Matching smoothing in Daz Studio tries to push my modified mesh back to the original bad shape. So my morph is only partially effective. To really fix this product, Daz needs to release the version which was used to create the good product previews.

@barbult- Ah!  For some reason, I thought it was the lapel, and for the life of me I couldn't see anything different when clicking back and forth. 

barbult said:

galien said:

Yes, I also noticed that the sweater loaded at Base resolution, not the High Resolution that it comes with. Base Resolution looks terrible unless the character is very small and far away in the scene. I rendered mine at High Resolution SubD 2. 

The texture stretching at the bottom center is caused by mesh stretching and also strange UV mapping in that area, I think. It looks like the mesh was smoothed in that area, spreading out the vertices. I made an attempt to adjust the mesh in Blender today, but the UV mapping is still an issue, and the Base Shape Matching smoothing in Daz Studio tries to push my modified mesh back to the original bad shape. So my morph is only partially effective. To really fix this product, Daz needs to release the version which was used to create the good product previews.

Yes, the UVmap doesn't make much sense in this area and the geometry is a bit off as well.

I have been able to create a fix, but the main changes I made were to the UV map and I'm not aware of any way to redistribute this within the terms of the DAZ license agreement.

FallSweaterFix.png
    600 x 780 - 701K
    @gallen how did you edit the UV? I don't know how to do that. Your fix looks great. I agree, you probably can't share it.
  • There used to be a program that required one to have a specified file to decode a shared file. I can't recall the name at the moment

• NathNath Posts: 2,728

Robert Freise said:

There used to be a program that required one to have a specified file to decode a shared file. I can't recall the name at the moment

RTE-encoder? 

• Nath said:

Robert Freise said:

There used to be a program that required one to have a specified file to decode a shared file. I can't recall the name at the moment

RTE-encoder? 

Yep that's it 

barbult said:

@gallen how did you edit the UV? I don't know how to do that. Your fix looks great. I agree, you probably can't share it.

I selected vertices in a UV editor (I used the one in Modo Indie, but I think that you can do this in Blender's UV editor as well) and used the translate tool to move them to give an even layout.  I've attached a screenshot to show the final result.  This was then imported into Daz Studio as a new UV map.

I also created a morph to tidy up the geometry a bit, but the biggest part of the fix was in the changes to the UV map.

FallSweaterUVFix.png
    635 x 599 - 35K
    @galien thank you for the UV info. I apologize for misspelling your username last time. The i looked like an l to me on the phone screen.

I modified the UV in Blender and it helped the bottom of the sweater a lot. It is a terrible shame that Daz doesn't correct this product, and all users have to fix it themselves.

barbult said:

I modified the UV in Blender and it helped the bottom of the sweater a lot. It is a terrible shame that Daz doesn't correct this product, and all users have to fix it themselves.

I've not given up on Daz with this one yet.  I also raised a support ticket for another product in the same bundle and that one has now been fixed.

We certainly shouldn't have to fix products that we buy ourselves, but it is nice to be able to do so.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168

barbult said:

MelanieL said:

barbult said:

I finally got the chance to take a look at the sweater (sure enough it does have the same problem) and apply your fix morph - works nicely, so thank you again.

MelanieL said:

barbult said:

MelanieL said:

barbult said:

I finally got the chance to take a look at the sweater (sure enough it does have the same problem) and apply your fix morph - works nicely, so thank you again.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it was useful. 

edited January 2023

FYI   I put Barbult's fix on the first page of this thread in the ongoing Reference section. It will be under Tips in the X section (says X Fashion Style for Fall  Fixing Mesh Poke-through) with full credit to Barbult. That way you don't have to try and remember which post it is in or if you lose your folder, etc. 

Post edited by Novica on

Yesterday I finally got my new modem/router working, it was my iPhone not playing nice that was my hold-up. But all good now. But the big sales over the weekend, toast.

I was reading some comments in the Commons and was just reminded of the DAZ+ coupons. Today is the 31st and I still have the PA coupon to use. I had looked at some of the PA items offered today, and took them out of my cart, too expensive 'now' even with 50%, and then 20% off, but now with $6.00, they might be viable. 

So I thought I would put a reminder here for anyone who has a coupon sitting around.

Mary

Hey, in case you're awake you can see a comet that hasn't come by here since the Stone Age 50,000 years ago!  Here in Pensacola it's too cloudy, the entire sky is grayed out and the moon is just a misty blur. But it's a good time to see the comet if you have clear skies, and what an opportunity!

Here's a few snippets about it-
    Named   C/2022 E3  (ZTE)  the comet has an orbit around the sun that passes through the outer reaches of the solar system so it takes a long time to come by us again.
     The closest approach was last night and NOW, it will be 100 times the moon's distance away from Earth. Around 26 million miles to 27 million miles.

Look for a faint green smudge near the bright star Polaris, also called the North Star. Comets reflect different colors of light due to their current positions in orbit and chemical compositions.

Early morning skies, once the moon has set after midnight for those in the Northern Hemisphere, are optimal for viewing the comet. Depending on its brightness, C/2022 E3 (ZTF) may even be visible to the unaided eye in dark skies, but binoculars or a telescope will make the comet easier to see.

And here it is, caught on camera-  at an observatory. Really bright!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Novica said:

And here it is, caught on camera-  at an observatory. Really bright!

Cool, one doesn't get to see many comets.

When we went to Stone Henge, in the welcome shop at the Stone Henge site, I bought a nighttime photo someone had taken of a comet, I believe Hale-Bopp, flying over Stone Henge. In the photo, Hale-Bopp was very bright so I think the photographer was one of those professions who knows how to do a long night time exposure, you know, like so many people do to take a picture of that spiral band in the Milky Way at nights.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited February 2023

A few things I have rendered lately.

I had to do a bit of work on this one as all the furniture is one figure so I had to use the Geometry Editor Toll to make the Blanket, Standing Lamp and the Cushions separate items so I could move them and Dforce the Blanket. I also had to use the Joint Editor Tool on the lamp so I could get it posed behind the chair.

Bedroom Talk

2023-01-28 15:36:19.527 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 4 hours 37 minutes 0.60 seconds

Click on image for full size.

Poolside

2023-01-30 11:01:48.925 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 15 minutes 42.45 seconds

Click on image for full size.

Post edited by Fishtales on