Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2022

Much further north, Steve! 

I remember seeing the footage played over and over long after I got back in mid October that year.  The photo below shows the visit of the Libertad, the Argentine tall ship which led the very first Tall Ships Festival my city had. 

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2021/08/10/NPOH/add12efa-2d87-40e4-9ec1-fa5ec2b40990-894B_Tall_ship_Copyright_RALPH_MORANG--one_time_use_1.jpeg?width=2560

Behind it in this image is the Norwegian, Capricornus from Stavanger on its circumnavigation. https://nettbutikk.bokbyen-skagerrak.no/shop123varer/bilder/image_71007.jpg

I made friends with the crew and visited the families in Norway at the start of my backpack trip in 83. It was the Capricoruns crew that gave me the travel bug and are responsible for my travels over the years and so my marriage to my Brit hubby! 

I am giving the website for area yacht clubs. More interesting photos than the tourist sites. And you can magnify the images at the site below. 

https://marinas.com/view/harbor/1gt5w_Portsmouth_Harbor_Portsmouth_NH_United_States  MAIN SITE slide show at top that has aerial views of the harbor  

https://marinas.com/view/marina/vgclze_Kittery_Point_Yacht_Club_New_Castle_NH_United_States#&gid=1&pid=4   This is the yacht club next door to where I lived.

If you look closely at these images for this club in New Castle (the building with the docks), the one next door on the end of the island with spruce trees is my old home. My dad built this (mostly himself!) as his retirement home in 1982 on the site of his old childhood cottage. That big deck is the footprint of that old cottage.  I spent wonderful summers there as a kid with his parents, then was lucky enough to move there on my own in the mid 1970s.  He passed age 91 in 2006, several years after we'd moved to the UK for good.  I still miss him and both of us miss the 'Island' so much! 

crying Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

Oh, the Queen has passed. It was so quick! they said it was this afternoon. It iwas about 6.30pm in the UK when announced, so perhaps William, Edward, Sophie and Andrew did not get there in time.

RIP Your Majesty
    snivel cry Silene

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

SileneUK said:

Much further north, Steve! 

I remember seeing the footage played over and over long after I got back in mid October that year.  The photo below shows the visit of the Libertad, the Argentine tall ship which led the very first Tall Ships Festival my city had. 

That is a REALLY tall ship.  They visit here, but nothing that big that I remember.

This is the yacht club next door to where I lived.

If you look closely at these images for this club in New Castle (the building with the docks), the one next door on the end of the island with spruce trees is my old home. My dad built this (mostly himself!) as his retirement home in 1982 on the site of his old childhood cottage. That big deck is the footprint of that old cottage.  I spent wonderful summers there as a kid with his parents, then was lucky enough to move there on my own in the mid 1970s.  He passed age 91 in 2006, several years after we'd moved to the UK for good.  I still miss him and both of us miss the 'Island' so much! 

crying Silene

Sounds like a great childhood.  Did you sail much?

Attached is a view of Seabrook Sailing Club, where my wife & I raced a 16' Windmill class boat for years before retiring to a cruising boat at a large marina nearby.  On Galveston Bay, it got hammered by Hurricane Ike, then rebuilt (the building just left of center).  They brand the dock boards so they can reclaim them after storms ... the ones they can find.  surprise

SSC Aerial View.jpg
    567 x 394 - 57K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

SileneUK said:

Oh, the Queen has passed. It was so quick! they said it was this afternoon. It iwas about 6.30pm in the UK when announced, so perhaps William, Edward, Sophie and Andrew did not get there in time.

RIP Your Majesty
    snivel cry Silene

RIP.  Blessings to the royal family and friends.  

edited September 2022

Wendy, Thanks for that. I remember it well. Reminded me of the James Bond one she did for the Olympics. I like the other video from The Guardian about the Queen's sense of humour rememberd which followed on and included he Daniel Craig Bond skit.  There must be masses of funny moments from over the years. I hope they are compiled at some time.  This is affecting me a lot as I am a naturalised British Citizen and remember taking my oath to HMQ2.

laugh Silene

PS   Steve, Great photo.... wow I bet you have seen some hurricanes.  I didn't sail until I was in my late 20s. Usually crewing on a weekly race team, or just me and an old boyfriend on his Tartan 37.  My dad had a little wooden one he built in the 1930s. The mast, which was a spar from a scrapped schooner, later became the flagpole at the cottage and lasted some 50 years.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

I've mentioned this before I think, but the movie "Wind" (1992) was pretty much about the US/Aussie competition for the America's Cup.  Some of the early scenes have amazing footage of small sailboat racing, hardly "watching the grass grow".  My wife and I had similar experiences in our 16' Windmill.  "Ready About".  "Ready"  "Helm's Alee"  "Woops" (missed the hiking strap)  "Sploosh" (crew fell overboard)  "$@^@%"  (skipper dangling over the rising high side as the boat capsizes)  Boat capsizes.   

The good scenes ... stay with it past the first minute or so.

• Stezza said:

so I cancelled Daz+ and it finished today... got this email

the mind boggles!  cool

I got the same email yesterday!  But mine was from "[email protected]" and titled "Subscription Confirmation" with a hyperlink to "confirm" the order (which, I did not click).  My DAZ+ expired several months ago, though.  Did you ever hear anything else about it?  I posted about it on the forums, but people just think it's a phishing scam (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/589001/subscription-confirmation-master-list-scam).

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I never clicked on the link and I never got the master list cool

it was weird though, I just put it down to another stuff up by the web master wink

RIP, Queen Elizabeth.  Blessings to family, friends, and community.

Diomede said:

I spoke to her in 1970 when she visited our small town... 

she had a good innings yes 

edited September 2022

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

How cool, Stezza!, to have that memory!  I only saw her motocade pass up close and got a wave from her and Phillip to our little bystander group when I visited Bath for a day with a fellow American expat. 2002 was her Golden Jubillee tour. It was kind of fun!   laugh Silene

edited September 2022

SileneUK said:

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

How cool, Stezza!, to have that memory!  I only saw her motocade pass up close and got a wave from her and Phillip to our little bystander group when I visited Bath for a day with a fellow American expat. 2002 was her Golden Jubillee tour. It was kind of fun!   laugh Silene

I remember it well, I was in 6th class and also our school captain was demoted to student on that day because she was chewing on some PK chewing gum at the event!  laugh

1970AlbionParkRail.jpg
    674 x 452 - 76K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Stezza said:

SileneUK said:

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

I remember it well, I was in 6th class and also our school captain was demoted to student on that day because she was chewing on some PK chewing gum at the event!  laugh

Awesome !!!

The Queen visited my town when I was still at school and she waved to us as she drove past.

The next time I saw the Queen was as a member of the Royal Guard during her visit at our Bicentennial celebrations !!!

Royal Guard... cool!!  heartyes

On another note... some Welsh inspration for the upcoming World Cup in Qatar.  YOu don't even have to like football/soccer, just enoy the amazing Michael Sheen!

Oh... I wish Chohole was here. She would have loved this. crying Silene

• mind blown

so, LoRez Lorenzo & LoRetta LiVe oN laugh yes

edited September 2022

Some unoffical ratings projections.  It seems to be in the interests of the press to keep the monarchy.

ratings.jpg
    714 x 648 - 89K
    Post edited by Diomede on

It's been over 12 months since Misty visited the forum... crying

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

I know,  sorely missed. She's the first person I thought of when they announced Genesis 9.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Headwax want's everyone to know he is OK

is unable to login to forum on his iPad

is with his very sick mother broken heart

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Headwax want's everyone to know he is OK

is unable to login to forum on his iPad

is with his very sick mother broken heart

Sending lots of best wishes !!!

Blessings to Andrew and family.  Be well.

Sad news, Claymation producer Jules Bass has passed away.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and many more.

Story in Hollywood Reporter - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jules-bass-dead-frosty-the-snowman-1235248424/

Trailer for Rudolph

Someone colorized Metropolis

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

impressive 

I've picked 3  5  and  11

for today's Melbourne Cup cool

fingers and polygons crossed

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

mind blown

I actually knew this already. I've seen currant jams and such here, but they are rare. Lingonberries are also rare but obtainable, especially in areas where Swedes and Norwegians settled.

• Ribena was like a staple growing up cheeky

we eat dried currants too

• video 

sometimes you don't need a reason