Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.21.0.5! (*UPDATED*)

1234568»

Comments

• I'm seeing thousands of errors when loading a scene with two Genesis 8 characters in it.  v4.21.0.5 Public Beta:

2022-10-13 11:46:24.903 [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\sdk\include\dztarray.h(166): Index out of range in DzTArray::operator[]

Why is there a hard-coded path somewhere in there pointing to a DAZ developer's user directory ?  What?

I'll try an older scene and see if it does the same thing, but the errors above are nuts...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited October 2022

This discussion was created from comments split from: Daz Studio 4.21[.0.x] Pro, General Release!. Post moved to Beta thread.

I'm seeing thousands of errors when loading a scene with two Genesis 8 characters in it.  v4.21.0.5 Public Beta:

2022-10-13 11:46:24.903 [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\sdk\include\dztarray.h(166): Index out of range in DzTArray::operator[]

Why is there a hard-coded path somewhere in there pointing to a DAZ developer's user directory ?  What?

I'll try an older scene and see if it does the same thing, but the errors above are nuts...

What is the context of those error messages (which are pointing to a build machine, not the developer's own, and are not hard-coded but the resolved path during the compilation). They certainly shouldn't be there, but without knowing where they are occuring it will not be possible to fix them.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • So far I *think* it may have something to do with some awful hair one of the characters was wearing in the scene

The suspect hair seems to be strand-based, but doesn't respond to dForce simulation (despite have Simulation settings in the Surface pane) and is terrible  in several ways.   The hair object is Jeanie Hair for Genesis 8 Females .  Removing that seemed to cause the errors to go away.  I'll try to mess with  it  in a simple scene with just one character and see if I can reproduce the problem.

P.S.  Sorry for posting in the wrong thread!

• Olo_Ordinaire said:

So far I *think* it may have something to do with some awful hair one of the characters was wearing in the scene

The suspect hair seems to be strand-based, but doesn't respond to dForce simulation (despite have Simulation settings in the Surface pane) and is terrible  in several ways.   The hair object is Jeanie Hair for Genesis 8 Females .  Removing that seemed to cause the errors to go away.  I'll try to mess with  it  in a simple scene with just one character and see if I can reproduce the problem.

That hair appears to be fibermesh, and not dForce\strand based.

• njsnjs Posts: 71

I keep on getting this.

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 5.59.09 PM.png
    930 x 374 - 186K
  • njs said:

I keep on getting this.

Check your mapped content paths.

• So I installed an RTX 4090 yesterday and tried the latest Beta and Iray apparently can't utilize full power of the card yet.

It is drawing up to 285W only (from a 450W card which can be unlocked to 600W) unlike the RTX 3090 which was drawing 320W when rendering which was close to 350W limit of that card.

It would be nice if we had some ETA on Iray update in Daz Studio.

• johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

So I installed an RTX 4090 yesterday and tried the latest Beta and Iray apparently can't utilize full power of the card yet.

It is drawing up to 285W only (from a 450W card which can be unlocked to 600W) unlike the RTX 3090 which was drawing 320W when rendering which was close to 350W limit of that card.

It would be nice if we had some ETA on Iray update in Daz Studio.

The latest nVidia drivers appear to be problematic - try doing a dForce simulation. Unfortunately with a 4090 you can't roll back to an earlier driver, so you will have to wait for an updated driver.

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 625
    edited October 2022

DoctorJellybean said:

Olo_Ordinaire said:

So far I *think* it may have something to do with some awful hair one of the characters was wearing in the scene

The  Parameters pane for the Jeanie hair threw me, I guess.  I've attached a screen shot of the DS UI showing the hair info.   It's confusing that it has simulation settings with PS Hairs, PR Hairs and Preview PR Hairs as well as things like Line Tesselation settings, which I thought were for strand-based hair.

For what it's worth, setting it up today with an empty scene caused none of the problems I saw yesterday.  Yesterday's 1.3 GB log file continuously filling with errors isn't happening.

The hair's still not up to snuff, though:  hair with simulation settings that simply doesn't respond to simulation;  hair that clips into the figure unless you use the wind and posing morphs to the point that it looks like the character is in a wind tunnel.   But those issues certainly don't point to the DAZ Studio software.

Update:   Ok, I was able to reproduce the problem by adding a smoothing modifier to the hair in an attempt to get it to stop clipping into the figure.  This causes DS to enter a loop, logging the error messages I posted previously.  The application must be stopped by killing the process with Task Manager.  About 250,000 of those were logged in about 3 seconds.

Jeanie Hair Settings.png
    2416 x 1324 - 590K
    Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on
  • Olo_Ordinaire said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Olo_Ordinaire said:

The  Parameters pane for the Jeanie hair threw me, I guess.  I've attached a screen shot of the DS UI showing the hair info.   It's confusing that it has simulation settings with PS Hairs, PR Hairs and Preview PR Hairs as well as things like Line Tesselation settings, which I thought were for strand-based hair.

For what it's worth, setting it up today with an empty scene caused none of the problems I saw yesterday.  Yesterday's 1.3 GB log file continuously filling with errors isn't happening.

The hair's still not up to snuff, though:  hair with simulation settings that simply doesn't respond to simulation;  hair that clips into the figure unless you use the wind and posing morphs to the point that it looks like the character is in a wind tunnel.   But those issues certainly don't point to the DAZ Studio software.

Open a support ticket. I've just tried it, and get the same error as you.

• I can attest that there is a inconsistant problem of the software not closing for a long period of time in your Task Manager... it closes much faster if you don't have a program like Discord that is open and lists Daz Studio as being used in that application. 

That may be why some are seeing a shut down of the program faster from the system than others.

I can also say DO NOT update your NVIDIA drivers (either NVIDIA Studio Driver or NVIDIA GAMING DRIVER) to 522.# from 512.15 if you do, you WILL NOT be able to use dForce, it will throw errors.

As for renders... ugh... yeah, I don't think I need to chime in on it, it's been covered by others pretty well... 2 1/5 to 3 hour renders at UHD 4k on a $7,000.00 plus system with duel 3090's NVLinked and you all want us to consider rendering at 8k for the new Genesis 9 figure (which I did preorder)... yeah, don't see very many of us attempting 8k right now, I know I won't be. I'd like to keep what little sanity I have left, thankyouverymuch.

• @Richard Haseltine

Is there any indication that FBX importer will be fixed? As it is now, it seems that it can't import anything more complex than a cube.

It is totally impossible to import figures from Maya 2022, rigged or not (you don't even get to choose to skip the rigging so you can at least have the object with textures).

Every attempt ends up with heavily distorted mesh.

• johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

@Richard Haseltine

Is there any indication that FBX importer will be fixed? As it is now, it seems that it can't import anything more complex than a cube.

It is totally impossible to import figures from Maya 2022, rigged or not (you don't even get to choose to skip the rigging so you can at least have the object with textures).

Every attempt ends up with heavily distorted mesh.

Unfortunately FBX is not that precise a format - there are mutliple versions, and not every implementation behaves in the same way. As far as I know Daz Studio will handle FBX from Motion Builder, files exported from other applciations are less certain. Still, it is an area that is receiving attention.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

jdkammerjr_dd07a7e512 said:

I can attest that there is a inconsistant problem of the software not closing for a long period of time in your Task Manager... it closes much faster if you don't have a program like Discord that is open and lists Daz Studio as being used in that application. 

That may be why some are seeing a shut down of the program faster from the system than others.

A few months ago, I stumbled on creators including morphs from the starter essentials and other products in theirs in a way that didn't look like deliberate or intentional (=lack of experience)
    Once I removed the unnecessary morphs, DS stopped hanging at closing. 

I must warn though, one should not remove any morphs manually unless one does know, what one is doing.

• kgreggainkgreggain Posts: 24
    edited October 2022

Daz Software said:

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.21.0.5!

Highlights:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Previous Public Build (Beta) Threads:

• 4.21.0.5 (October 12, 2022)
      • 4.20.1.91 (October 5, 2022)
      • 4.20.1.88 (September 28, 2022)
      • 4.20.1.78 (September 7, 2022)
      • 4.20.1.58 (July 27, 2022)
      • 4.20.1.43 (June 3, 2022)
      • 4.20.1.38 (May 20, 2022)
      • 4.20.1.34 (May 13, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.17 (April 21, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.12 (April 8, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.11 (March 25, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.8 (March 17, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.6 (March 11, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.5 (March 9, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.4 (March 3, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.3 (February 24, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.2 (February 17, 2022)
      • 4.16.1.47 (February 14, 2022)
      • 4.16.1.43 (February 4, 2022)
      • 4.16.1.40 (January 31, 2022)
      • 4.16.1.34 (January 21, 2022)
      • 4.16.1.31 (January 14, 2022)
      • 4.16.1.21 (December 22, 2021)
      • 4.16.1.17 (December 17, 2021)
      • 4.16.1.6 (December 1, 2021)
      • 4.16.1.2 (November 22, 2021)
      • 4.15.1.96 (November 12, 2021)
      • 4.15.1.91 (November 3, 2021)
      • 4.15.1.84 (October 29, 2021)
      • 4.15.1.72 (October 7, 2021)

General Release Threads:

• 4.20.0.17 (April 29, 2022)
      • 4.20.0.2 (February 18, 2022)
    • 4.16.0.3 (November 22, 2021)
      • 4.15.0.30 (September 2, 2021)
      • 4.15.0.2 (January 7, 2021)
    • 4.14.0.10 (December 2, 2020)
      • 4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)

Since I updated to the .5 version, I have had nothing but issues with Dforce (error preparing dforce objects), and just random crashing during model loads, which was definitely not happening before. Constant crashing, that I have had before, and it continues. Click on a close box while loading a model (a click box presented in the dialog box), and it craps itself. I don't know about this version, but I have cleaned my system and reinstalled this 2 times now with the exact same results. I'm surely not spending money on Gen 9 until I can get this resolved. Furthermore, I saw the previous post about the Nvidia drivers, and noticed a new driver came out so I'll check that version. Kind of disappointed trying to get a work flow that doesn't puke on me consistently.

Post edited by kgreggain on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

kgreggain said:

Since I updated to the .5 version, I have had nothing but issues with Dforce (error preparing dforce objects), and just random crashing during model loads, which was definitely not happening before. Constant crashing, that I have had before, and it continues. Click on a close box while loading a model (a click box presented in the dialog box), and it craps itself. I don't know about this version, but I have cleaned my system and reinstalled this 2 times now with the exact same results. I'm surely not spending money on Gen 9 until I can get this resolved. Furthermore, I saw the previous post about the Nvidia drivers, and noticed a new driver came out so I'll check that version. Kind of disappointed trying to get a work flow that doesn't puke on me consistently.

You need to roll back to 517.40 Nvidia drivers 

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

PerttiA said:

You need to roll back to 517.40 Nvidia drivers 

That certainly seems wise at this moment, however I am using 517.40 and (despite trying and, apparently, failing to "upgrade") always have been.  I still see what seem to be major changes in dForce bugs in 4.21.  I am, of course, used to the non-functional "close" button; it does not and never in my experience ever has worked to stop a dForce explosion; on Windows the Task Manager is your fiend.

That said with 4.21 and 517.40 I have had dForce behavior that results in my whole (dedictated) NVidia GPU card going silent while the CPU sits running two threads in what looks like an infinite loop.  The new explosion maybe?  Just as disastrous as the last one but very quiet.  The close button still doesn't work.

dForce does seem to work a whole lot better with 4.21 and so does rendering; the BSOD render window happens just as much but more minor tweak are needed to fix it.  Memory management is clearly far more sophisticated.  Until all the new bugs are fixed I'm pretty sure there won't be a single answer to any single problem.  Rolling back the NVidia drivers is, for certain, a very good thing to do; updating DAZ and NVidia at the same time is the same as trying to take an off ramp while overtaking.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

I'm the only one who can't save custom actions and undo half of the actions?

• New Nvidia driver dropped for the GTX 10 series video card. I have the 1060. New update 526.27 dropped on Oct 27. It works just fine with the Daz Studio 4.21. I uninstalled the studio 4.21 public build batea before I discovered it was the video drivers. Do i need to reinstall this? Everything is working fine at the moment. Is there a benefit to it?

• If you don't use the beta you don't need it installed.

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited November 2022

I don't know if this is a known issue: When rendering image series, the next frame output after the first looses either subD configuration or smoothing configuration. I am yet to find out which one. This has been issue for at least last few beta versions

Starting from the rendering of the second image, things start to poke through, which corrects itself if I render them individually. Sometimes it is persistent from the second image and on; sometimes it behaves like smoothing toggles/alternates every other image.

Anyone seen this happening?

Post edited by Dolce Saito on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Dolce Saito said:

I don't know if this is a known issue: When rendering image series, the next frame output after the first looses either subD configuration or smoothing configuration. I am yet to find out which one. This has been issue for at least last few beta versions

Starting from the rendering of the second image, things start to poke through, which corrects itself if I render them individually. Sometimes it is persistent from the second image and on; sometimes it behaves like smoothing toggles/alternates every other image.

I don't do much animation (image series renders), but I have seen similar effects in the viewport after rendering a scene. Subsequent renders still worked OK or me, though. I submitted a help request about it on December 14, 2020, so nearly two years ago. This is that help request. The link to the video may not work, as it links to the help system upload. Customer service said they reproduced the problem and would report it to the developers. 

Request #360403

Daz Studio viewport reverts to base resolution after Iray render

December 14, 2020 18:50

After I perform an Iray render of a High Resolution object, the Daz Studio 4.14.1.22 Public Beta viewport reverts displaying the object at Base Resolution. This bug seems to affect only the viewport. A subsequent Iray render still renders at High Resolution, even though the viewport is displayed incorrectly. This bug occurs when I have BOTH subD and smoothing applied the the object in the viewport. I am attaching a video demonstrating this problem.

To recreate this problem:
    1) Open Daz Studio 4.14.1.22 Public Beta.
    2) Create a new primitive cube.
    3) Select the cube in the Scene pane.
    4) Apply subD to the cube (Edit>Geometry>Convert to SubD).
    5) Apply smoothing modifier to the cube (Edit>Geometry>Add Smoothing Modifier).
    6) Set the Render Settings engine to NVIDIA Iray
    7) Render the scene.
    8) When the render finishes, observe the the cube was rendered with SubD, but the cube in the viewport jump back to Base Resolution display, even though the Parameters pane shows that the veiwport resolution is set to High Resolution.
    9) Do something to cause the viewport to be redisplayed, like translate the cube in X direction, or turn Smoothing off and back on, or change the mesh resolution level of the cube.
    10) Observe that the viewport display immediately goes back to the proper High Resolution display.
    11) Render the scene.
    12) Observe again that when the render finishes, the cube in the viewport is displayed in Base Resolution.
    13) Without changing any settings (while the cube still looks like Base Resolution in the viewport), render the scene again.
    14) Observe that the cube rendered correctly at High Resolution, even while it is displayed incorrectly at Base Resolution in the viewport

Viewport Reverts to Base Res.mp4

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited November 2022

barbult said:

Dolce Saito said:

I don't do much animation (image series renders), but I have seen similar effects in the viewport after rendering a scene. Subsequent renders still worked OK or me, though. I submitted a help request about it on December 14, 2020, so nearly two years ago. This is that help request. The link to the video may not work, as it links to the help system upload. Customer service said they reproduced the problem and would report it to the developers. 

Request #360403

Daz Studio viewport reverts to base resolution after Iray render

December 14, 2020 18:50

After I perform an Iray render of a High Resolution object, the Daz Studio 4.14.1.22 Public Beta viewport reverts displaying the object at Base Resolution. This bug seems to affect only the viewport. A subsequent Iray render still renders at High Resolution, even though the viewport is displayed incorrectly. This bug occurs when I have BOTH subD and smoothing applied the the object in the viewport. I am attaching a video demonstrating this problem.

To recreate this problem:
    1) Open Daz Studio 4.14.1.22 Public Beta.
    2) Create a new primitive cube.
    3) Select the cube in the Scene pane.
    4) Apply subD to the cube (Edit>Geometry>Convert to SubD).
    5) Apply smoothing modifier to the cube (Edit>Geometry>Add Smoothing Modifier).
    6) Set the Render Settings engine to NVIDIA Iray
    7) Render the scene.
    8) When the render finishes, observe the the cube was rendered with SubD, but the cube in the viewport jump back to Base Resolution display, even though the Parameters pane shows that the veiwport resolution is set to High Resolution.
    9) Do something to cause the viewport to be redisplayed, like translate the cube in X direction, or turn Smoothing off and back on, or change the mesh resolution level of the cube.
    10) Observe that the viewport display immediately goes back to the proper High Resolution display.
    11) Render the scene.
    12) Observe again that when the render finishes, the cube in the viewport is displayed in Base Resolution.
    13) Without changing any settings (while the cube still looks like Base Resolution in the viewport), render the scene again.
    14) Observe that the cube rendered correctly at High Resolution, even while it is displayed incorrectly at Base Resolution in the viewport

Viewport Reverts to Base Res.mp4

Definitely related. I use subD and smoothing a lot. During animations what you've mentioned occurs on output either every other frame or from the second and so on.

The only part that is different for me is what you said about: "This bug seems to affect only the viewport", actually also affects output pictures with the occurance period varying (image series).

Post edited by Dolce Saito on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited January 2023

...just had an odd and somewhat annoying issue occur. while working in the 4.21.0.,5 general release. 

I was working in Iray View Mode and while fitting a piece of clothing the programme crashed. The interesting part is it took the display driver with it as both screens went black then only one came up with the Windows  desktop on it  When I lose the display driver (which has also occurred before with this particular version but not concurrently with a full programme crash), I have to restart the system to load the display driver again which is somewhat of a bother.

I am using the last available driver general release for W7 (474.06) which is six updates past the minimum required driver (471.41) for Iray GPU rendering in the 4.21 General Release  I also shut down any other software (like my net browser and/or any other resource demanding programmes).before a work session. I do not remember this occurring in 4.20 so it makes me wonder if this is some kind of odd conflict I'm running into related to the 4.21 general release even though both specify the same Nvidia game ready driver (Studio drivers do not support Windows 7 at all)

GPU is a Maxwell Titan X, the Nvidia driver as I mentioned is 474.06, System Memory is 24 GB.  When the crash occurred I only had a single character and was using a neutral HDRI from Fast Production Lights. No other items besides the, character hair, and clothing were in the scene.

Also looking at the title of this thread, is somewhat confusing as when I launch 4.21.0.5 the start up pane does not have the "Beta" tag on it nor does it have Beta as part of the name in the folder where I keep my 3D programme shortcuts. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

kyoto kid said:

...just had an odd and somewhat annoying issue occur. while working in the 4.21.0.,5 general release. 

I was working in Iray View Mode and while fitting a piece of clothing the programme crashed. The interesting part is it took the display driver with it as both screens went black then only one came up with the Windows  desktop on it  When I lose the display driver (which has also occurred before with this particular version but not concurrently with a full programme crash), I have to restart the system to load the display driver again which is somewhat of a bother.

I am using the last available driver general release for W7 (474.06) which is six updates past the minimum required driver (471.41) for Iray GPU rendering in the 4.21 General Release  I also shut down any other software (like my net browser and/or any other resource demanding programmes).before a work session. I do not remember this occurring in 4.20 so it makes me wonder if this is some kind of odd conflict I'm running into related to the 4.21 general release even though both specify the same Nvidia game ready driver (Studio drivers do not support Windows 7 at all)

GPU is a Maxwell Titan X, the Nvidia driver as I mentioned is 474.06, System Memory is 24 GB.  When the crash occurred I only had a single character and was using a neutral HDRI from Fast Production Lights. No other items besides the, character hair, and clothing were in the scene.

Also looking at the title of this thread, is somewhat confusing as when I launch 4.21.0.5 the start up pane does not have the "Beta" tag on it nor does it have Beta as part of the name in the folder where I keep my 3D programme shortcuts. 

If you are posting about the General Release, you are posting in the wrong thread. The current Beta is 4.21.1.29. The General Release thread is here.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited January 2023

...I'm still using 4.21.0.5  (which was elevated to a general release) as I cannot run the latest public release as the driver required does not support windows 7 which I am still on.

This is the only 4.21.0.5 thread. I could find that was still open..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

...I'm still using 4.21.0.5  (which was elevated to a general release) as I cannot run the latest public release as the driver required does not support windows 7 which I am still on.

This is the only 4.21.0.5 thread. I could find that was still open..

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/595931/daz-studio-4-21-0-x-pro-general-release#latest