Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
edited February 2015 in Bryce Discussion

Previous thread was left here

electro-elvis - hair and skin of the lady look goof. It appears that you've mastered them in Bryce.

@Dave - nice atoll.

@mermaid010 - have you noticed that the ball you showed on the previous page consists on two meshes. Here I gave them gold and silver.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969

Horo- beautiful render. No, I did not know that the object had two meshes. Maybe the other models have different meshes too Thanks for the info :-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited February 2015

@mermaid010 - thank you. There are only 3 with more than one mesh that I discovered. Arc Sphere has 3 (the one I used in the render on p.94 previous thread); Ball (this one) has 2 and Default has also 2.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo- I will look at the other models, but this one that I used for this render has lots of meshes.

My attempt at Bryce 10 minute material project - using the rainbow texture and scene converter - by David Brinnen using an object from Structure Synth. I don’t have the Scene Converter, so I made my own Hdri using the rainbow material on a ground plane and exported it as Hdri.

rainbowmathdri.jpg
    600 x 600 - 27K
    edited December 1969

Looking nice. By the way, I have a free rainbow probe on my website: Raytracing > Resources > HDRI Page 2.

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - RandomHills is beautiful. Realism!

@Horo - I found your work with lenses pretty amazing. I need to study that more. Thank you for your advice on the Fool on the Hill image below.

@DavidBrinnen - Your Bryce 7.1 video about grass plains using Leopard in 2D at 90Deg works well in Bryce 5.5 as you can see below. This one could be tuned better, but I thought I was done with this until I looked at your video and realized this image was a good candidate to try it on. I'm done, now. Instead of your method, I duplicated the existing terrain, copied the bitmap into Paint Shop Pro XI, and used the "Add Noise, Monochrome, Random at 100%". Then I used the terrain editor to "lower" that, and finally lowered the duplicated terrain on the Y axis about 5BU. I tried to use the Bryce terrain editor to add the noise, but got cones. Using PSP XI, the loss from 48bit to 24bit does not matter in this case. (Or is it 24 bit to 16 bit? I get confused sometimes, but you know what I mean.) I also modified the colors of the existing terrain material for darker greens and browner yellows.

FoolOnTheHill_1.jpg
    1317 x 922 - 772K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited February 2015

Have spent the day re-doing the material and lighting on the Crater Island... Added more vegetation while I was at it.

Done now I think. 3 and a half hour render.

CraterIsland3.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 675K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Looking nice. By the way, I have a free rainbow probe on my website: Raytracing > Resources > HDRI Page 2.

Thanks x2 for the comment and the probe, downloading it now. I checked the objects which I saved from Structure Synth only the Ball and the Arc Sphere have few meshes, my version of the Default has many meshes.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

CTippetts said:

@DavidBrinnen - Your Bryce 7.1 video about grass plains using Leopard in 2D at 90Deg works well in Bryce 5.5 as you can see below. This one could be tuned better, but I thought I was done with this until I looked at your video and realized this image was a good candidate to try it on. I'm done, now. Instead of your method, I duplicated the existing terrain, copied the bitmap into Paint Shop Pro XI, and used the "Add Noise, Monochrome, Random at 100%". Then I used the terrain editor to "lower" that, and finally lowered the duplicated terrain on the Y axis about 5BU. I tried to use the Bryce terrain editor to add the noise, but got cones. Using PSP XI, the loss from 48bit to 24bit does not matter in this case. (Or is it 24 bit to 16 bit? I get confused sometimes, but you know what I mean.) I also modified the colors of the existing terrain material for darker greens and browner yellows.

Using the terrains to create spikes for grass and also for distant trees (that can be done too) is not a bad idea but it has a few limitations - well as does any approach you might take really - grass, fur, trees, hair... are not really that render friendly. The best you can hope for most of the time is creating the right impression. For fine structured surfaces like fur and hair, anisotropy might be called upon. For grass and trees there is the option of approximating the structures with geometry or and and/or using materials and transparency. I've not made exact measurements but I know from experience the closer you get your camera to the subject, the less of an impression you can get away with and the closer to simulation you need to get. And the cost of this is a steep ramping up of render times. Particularly as you have more light sources. As someone who likes to have everything in one scene and not resort to building scenes up on layers (unless it is a commercial project and then that is necessary) the price is usually paid in the fine tuning of the components even more so than in the final render times which are often measured in hours. As they say, "There's no such thing as a free lunch". As it seems you've also found.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

Something new for today :)

Bulb.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 247K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

nothing like a little light gardening at the weekend. :coolsmirk:

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    nothing like a little light gardening at the weekend. :coolsmirk:

@Chohole - You're funny!

@Tim Bateman - Really cool idea. You sure make good use of material. I also admired your lantern, and cars ... speaking of good use of material.

@TheSavage64 - Nice atoll. The shadows work well.

I decided to have more fun with EmotiGuy. This uses ELEMENTS, (nudge, nudge Chohole), from EmotiGuy and Safari Starter for DAZ 3D, and Bryce Pro Volumetric Fireballs and Bryce 7.1 Pro High Resolution Terrains - Set 4. I used Paint Shop Pro for the grey scale bitmap for the text applied to symmetrical lattices in the word bubbles, and to create the black and white data for the 2D picture objects for the shadows of the audience. This was rendered in Bryce 7.1 Pro, with no afterwork, other than the conversion to JPG for uploading, (since I rendered in BMP), which I also used PSP for.

EmotiguyMagicAct_Frame_4.jpg
    995 x 695 - 399K
    EmotiguyMagicAct_Frame_3.jpg
    995 x 695 - 392K
    EmotiguyMagicAct_Frame_2.jpg
    995 x 695 - 401K
    EmotiguyMagicAct_Frame_1.jpg
    995 x 695 - 427K
    edited December 1969

@ CTippetts, thank you :) ....and that is a very cool little comic strip you have going there :) ....great job

edited December 1969

something else new for today :)

Armor.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 77K
    edited February 2015

@CTippetts - thanks. The clouds got better. Grass can also be made with trees. Look at the foreground grass of this image Pond in old park by Slepalex and read his comment below how he made it.
    And I like your comic, well done.

@Dave - the Crater Island looks really great.

@Tim - that's a really beautiful render - the land in the bulb, the newest is also nice.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited February 2015

CTippetts - The clouds look better. The comic strip is so cute.

Dave - the Crater Island looks really nice now.

Tim – both the renders are great.

Another attempt at Bryce 10 minute material project - using the rainbow texture and scene converter - by David Brinnen using an object from Structure Synth, and the rainbow probe from Horo’s site. Horo this is the default model, with countless meshes.

ETA; David has a tutorial at Bryce info Grass Tree Recipe

rainbowmathdri-horo.jpg
    600 x 600 - 35K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

I thought i would share a work in progress :)

1.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 904K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

ooh nice. Look forwar to seeing where you go from there.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

The main thing in this scene are the sunglasses. I modelled them in Hexagon. Harder work than I thought and still a WIP.

@Tim Bateman: Wonderful and atmospheric WIP

sunglasses.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 503K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Salute to you, Vulcan...you lived long, and prospered.

Jay

VulcanSalute.jpg
    734 x 853 - 232K
    edited December 1969

thanks for the nice comments :)

@Electo-elvis, your glasses turned out great, awesome job :)

@Jamahoney, thats a interesting and cool looking render, nice work :)

edited December 1969

here is an update for the previous image i shared, its no where near completed...but i am liking how its turning out so far :)

N_Project_5.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 426K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - looks very nice.

@Tim - beautiful.

@electro-elvis - nice render, not only the sunglasses. I congratulate you to your Hex success. I haven't mastered it yet.

@Jay - well done.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,740
    edited March 2015

@fzr999: wonderful model and good render. It will be difficult to get into that lighhouse, but now it is burning down anyway.

@Fishtales: I like your new lighthouse render (what it that with lighthouses; is that our new theme?)

@TheSavage64: Lovely little pony and jig saw render. And great landscape. The atol is wonderful.

@kevinodwyer: wonderful abstract! Keep going!

@electro-elvis: She looks good. Very good pose in both renders. Sunglasses look OK to me.

@Tim Bateman: Love your landscape render(s). Great small garden. I guess if you put it into the socket, there will be enough lights for the plants. The armour looks good.

@CTippetts: Great little comic!

@mermaid010: strange form, but nice render.

@Jamahoney: Nice dedication.

Here is a new abstract (sort of): Abstract space. Pure bryce work.
    A very different version is here: http://hansmar.deviantart.com/art/Abstract-Space-513940903

abstract_space1a.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 487K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Tim...I could do well right now with a relaxing place like that.

Love the shadows created by your glasses, Elvis - a slight transparencey to the glasses's glass might show the girls eyes a bit, not too much, mind, as some glasses are very dark indeed?.

Thanks also, Horo ;)

Yeah, Hansmar...he'll be missed, but at least we still have the old archives. Nice abstract - kinda like craters and a planet in mind.

Jay

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and Hansmar

Tim - really beautiful

Electro-elvis - nice render, the sunglasses, look great.

Jay -nice render

Hansmar -lovely space render, love the colors of the one posted at Deviantart

Using David’s simple landscape scene from Hdri4fun pack to try something different, I used a reflective material on a sphere. The buildings are from the Dystopia City Blocks.

simplelandscapewith_a_difference.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 104K
    edited December 1969

@ Mermaid, that sunset looks really nice :)

edited December 1969

@hansmar - interesting subject. Looks like Uranus and below a cratered surface.

@mermaid010 - good idea with the reflecting sphere. Great render with the double sun.

I've been experimenting a bit with instancing trees. There are several hundred in the dale with translucency on the leaves. I've also been experimenting with portraits. Here Aiko 3 LE with the materials adapted. The first in front of the SmallWorld1 HDRI with the HDRI light for ambient and the sun as key. The second is a true render with natural light. The HDRI provides the backdrop and all the light.

Aiko3LE-Portrait-2.jpg
    800 x 534 - 75K
    Aiko3LE-Portrait-1.jpg
    800 x 534 - 89K
    DaleOfTrees.jpg
    800 x 534 - 86K
    edited December 1969

@ Horo, very nice renders...the forest one looks amazing!!! ....very nicely done :)

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Great work, all!

Just a couple of quick renders.

Blue/aluminum dragon is a curvature metal experiment I'm working on.
    A closeup view of the infamous iron ant. Similar to carpenter ants, but they only work with metals!
    A twisted dodecahedron covered with a bark material from David/Horo's Vegetation product. Looks like newly laid asphalt to me, so I added yellow road "markers" along the edges to define the road. I call it the "Road to Dodecahede". :)
    Another curvature metal experiment (rusted aluminum), but I'm not sure I like the amount of reflection on the metal. Too much and kinda takes away from the rust in the curves. Will play with this some more.

Thanks for looking.

Art

Material_1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 556K
    Fuzzy5_Ant.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 456K
    Road_to_Dodecahede.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1012K
    Funky_Metals_Curvature_Remix_Dragon.jpg
    850 x 850 - 592K
    edited December 1969

I had a bit of fun today with one of stonemason's models in bryce, slightly modified :)

modern_house.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 296K
This discussion has been closed.