Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

@Tim - thank you. I haven't noticed that you used Stonehenge on your N_Project. The indoor render looks great.

@Art - great renders, the ant is - well not exactly beautiful - but you know what I mean. Impressive.

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

HI all
    I am new to the forum, although i have been following and admiring a lot of the renders that have been posted for a number of months now.
    I have been using Bryce for a while, but only recently I have decided to try my hand at landscapes.
    So a big thanks to Horo and David for all your tutorials and for sharing your knowledge.
    Here is my first post

palm_beach1.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 230K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,025
    edited December 1969

vivien1 said:
    HI all
    I am new to the forum, although i have been following and admiring a lot of the renders that have been posted for a number of months now.
    I have been using Bryce for a while, but only recently I have decided to try my hand at landscapes.
    So a big thanks to Horo and David for all your tutorials and for sharing your knowledge.
    Here is my first post

Welcome to the Forum. Nice landscape and first post.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969

Thanks Tim and Horo for the nice comments.

Horo- cool renders, love the forest one.

Art – nice experiments, my fav the 1st dragon render.

Tim- beautiful interior scene.

Vivien – lovely render and welcome to the forum.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited March 2015

I wanted to make a skyscraper and watched therefore David's tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiyvozSHLw

but ended with a unfinished building ;-). That's how it goes. BTW The crane comes from sharecg.com, is made by spacesbones and is very nice and real Bryce model.

bauruine1000px.jpg
    1080 x 607 - 583K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

@vivien1 - welcome to this forum. Great start!

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@electro-elvis - put a few more such skeletons in the scene then it looks like a new city district is being built.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

@Horo, thank you, and yes i did use the Stonehenge model :)

@Vivien1, welcome to the forum and that is a very nice landscape you have posted there, nicely done :)

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the comments!

@TimBateman: Awesome home! Very photorealistic.

@Vivien1: Welcome to the forum and nice job on your first Bryce render!

@Electro-elvis: Cool beginnings on your skyscraper. I assume you have all the necessary permits in hand before you started breaking ground?! :)

Here's my corner yard scene. Water is just a touch too dark for my liking, but I'm about all worked out on this project and it stays! LOL

Corner_Plants.jpg
    1434 x 806 - 1M
    edited December 1969

and here is a render from me for today :)

Lion_Dagger.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 168K
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for the kind comments

-Horo - I like your forest, I have been having problem with instancing too many trees.

-Art - Beautiful renders, especially the ant

-Electro-Elvis - Very clever construction

-Fencepost- Nice place to seat and have a sandwich

-Tim - Very nice scenery.. Really like the grass

edited December 1969

i thought i would share another render for the today :)

The_Towers.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 238K
    edited December 1969

@Art - that's a very nice garden corner. The water colour looks right to me. I also like how the outside looks.

@Tim - nice sword and nice landscape.

@vivien1 - thank you. The instancing business not completely intuitive but it works quite nicely.

I don't remember where I got the fan palm from but I gave the meshes my own materials. There are 454 instances of this palm.
    The temple I made many years ago in Bryce 5 or 5.5. The ground features David's Blue Bells with other colours. The ambient light is from my Illpass HDRI and the key light from the sun.

FanPalms.jpg
    960 x 600 - 247K
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@Jamohoney - NICE nod to Mr. Nimoy. NICE!

@electro-elvis - Her hair is amazing.

@Hansmar - Wow, Hansmar! You're quite a photographer. I didn't see a bad shot posted, but I was particularly impressed by your nature shots with animals. I see you do acrylics, too.

@Tim Bateman - I see your maid spends hours keeping your floors polished. Be careful with that knife when you get back from your snowshoe trip, or she might never forgive you if you drop it on that floor. Um, wipe your feet, too.

@fencepost52 - Very realistic renders. I need to watch Mr. Brinnen's tutorial. Also, I have to remember to try that fountain silver sphere thing some time. Looks nice.

@vivien1 - Welcome, and nice job. Took me away.

@David Brinnen
    @Horo
    @Slepalex
    @mermaid010 - Thanks to all four of you for your help with grass! The link Mr. Wernli gave to the wonderful piece by Slepalex, where he includes the recipe for a "Grass Tree" was great. Then the link mermaid010 gave to the video by Mr. Brinnen was really useful. I used a combo of the two recipes for the test below.

Working with the test below, I finally stepped into the Instancing Lab. I need to spend more time in there, but it caused me to come up with a few questions.

First, I could have sworn I saw something in this forum that told how to quickly identify objects that do not appear in the view of the camera, in order to get rid of them to save memory, render time, and basic wait time, such as when Bryce switches to various modes, or updates the scene. I can't seem to find that now, but I really should use such a practice on the source this image came from. After the Instancing Lab, I had LOTS of objects that landed out of view of the camera, and are not at all needed in the scene or the file. Manually picking at them is tedious, and tricky ... sometimes having to undo because of accidentally deleting objects that were in camera.

I'd also like to know if there's a way to get the Instancing Lab to give each item a unique name. Going in and renaming dozens or hundreds of items is a real pain.

I also need to explore if I missed something to give each item created by the Instancing Lab a bit of rotation, such as in the Randomize or Multi-replicate functions can do.

NewLand_1stSave.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 243K
    edited March 2015

@CTippetts - that's a great scene, only the positions of the flowers looks a bit artificial. Otherwise very nice. Judging from the shadows, the sun is up and I would expect a bit more light from it. Nevertheless, I like what you did here.

IL, well, I'm not the instancing guru, I just started experimenting a bit. When I started with the fan palms in January, I had 60 copies that took 460 MB of memory. The final one has 1 palm and 454 instances and takes 155 MB. Who cares whether a few are out of view? I have more than 7 tims as much trees and need a fourth of the memory. Once you get out of the IL, ungroup and group them to sever the link to the ground and show as box.

Well, "Copy of" and a number is unique :lol: but I know what you mean and the answer is no.

Rotation works fine for a single tree, but when you have a so-called special tree that are two trees grouped, or use a grouped object like the palm I used, these are a bit tricky. Ungroup and ctrl-I (create an instance) and group this one, giving it a name. Repeat a few times and rotate each instance differently (I used 4 such "direct" instances of my palms), finally regroup the true object, which must remain a s master. Then instance the rotated instances in IL. Groups cannot be instanced except when using the ungroup-instance-group trick. Groups are not rotated in the IL, no matter how the rotation is set. That's why you create a few instances manually and rotate them. Then add them all to the brush.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Electro-elvis- nice render, share the completed buildings if you get round to completing it.

Art – beautiful corner yard. Is that one of Horo’s Hdris as a backdrop?

Tim – love the sword render, the lighting is very nice. The landscape gets a “Wow”

Horo- beautiful render

CTippetts – very nice render

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, everyone! The background HDRI is from this set: http://www.daz3d.com/country-day-hdri-le

@timbateman: nice work as always.

@CTippetts: Yes, you can never go wrong watching any of David or Horo's videos. Nice landscape. I agree with Horo about the flowers, but a nice touch. Maybe cluster them a little closer together? I like the inclusion of the fallen tree. Good job.

@Horo: You're probably right about the water. It just looked a little too dark and I couldn't get it to look right with more transparency. But, it does look ok. I like your landscape and the inclusion of the temple. It's position is kinda begging the viewer to see what's there. Glad you got the instancing to work. So far, my experiments have led to crashes and the creation of never-before-heard curse words! :)

Here's today's offering. I really need to work on landscapes. So glad David and Horo have so many good tutorials to aid in the process, but I still don't do very well with them. I followed a tutorial from this product (Bryce Vegetation). I spent a lot of time on the hot air balloons (an old freebie I got from the DAZ store, but there are better looking models.) The default materials made the balloons look like thick vinyl. Spent over an hour trying to eliminate that and although they're improved, they could still use more work. Anyway, this was about an hour and a half to render.

Distant_terrain_1.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 1M
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the comments, everyone! The background HDRI is from this set: http://www.daz3d.com/country-day-hdri-le

@timbateman: nice work as always.

@CTippetts: Yes, you can never go wrong watching any of David or Horo's videos. Nice landscape. I agree with Horo about the flowers, but a nice touch. Maybe cluster them a little closer together? I like the inclusion of the fallen tree. Good job.

@Horo: You're probably right about the water. It just looked a little too dark and I couldn't get it to look right with more transparency. But, it does look ok. I like your landscape and the inclusion of the temple. It's position is kinda begging the viewer to see what's there. Glad you got the instancing to work. So far, my experiments have led to crashes and the creation of never-before-heard curse words! :)

Here's today's offering. I really need to work on landscapes. So glad David and Horo have so many good tutorials to aid in the process, but I still don't do very well with them. I followed a tutorial from this product (Bryce Vegetation). I spent a lot of time on the hot air balloons (an old freebie I got from the DAZ store, but there are better looking models.) The default materials made the balloons look like thick vinyl. Spent over an hour trying to eliminate that and although they're improved, they could still use more work. Anyway, this was about an hour and a half to render.

My recommendation would be to reduce the frequency of the material on the terrain, either by modifying the material or reducing the size of the terrain. If you reduce the size of the terrain you might then have to modify the atmosphere by increasing the density of the haze to adapt it to the smaller terrain. I know of what I spoke since I've spent the entire day to the point where my voice is failing recording more tutorials on this very topic.

In keeping with the title of this thread, here's a couple of renders from these videos.

Edit. Terrains by Horo (the first is a lower res version the second is a high res one), HDRI by Horo and myself, materials made by my own hand are curvature based.

P68_video_scene5b.jpg
    654 x 850 - 351K
    P68_video_scene4b.jpg
    654 x 850 - 333K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited March 2015

My recommendation would be to reduce the frequency of the material on the terrain, either by modifying the material or reducing the size of the terrain. If you reduce the size of the terrain you might then have to modify the atmosphere by increasing the density of the haze to adapt it to the smaller terrain. I know of what I spoke since I've spent the entire day to the point where my voice is failing recording more tutorials on this very topic.

In keeping with the title of this thread, here's a couple of renders from these videos.

Edit. Terrains by Horo (the first is a lower res version the second is a high res one), HDRI by Horo and myself, materials made by my own hand are curvature based.

Thanks, David. I'll give those a try. I'll post the new renders so they can be critiqued. Seems like when I get the terrain to the size I think it's appropriate, I end up having to change it due to another factor and then I get so far "down the road" that I wish I had the original terrain size back. LOL It's always a challenge, but I'm sure that's what people think about me too! :)

Both of your renders look nice, but I'm partial to the colored lights coming through the clouds in the 2nd one.

ETA: The particular material I have on the terrain uses channel D to control the amount of diffusion. It's currently set at 100%. Does that percentage need to be altered to correspond with any changes to the other 3 channels?

ETA2: I think the answer to the question about altering channel D is no because we still want 100% diffuse response. Correct?

Thanks, Art

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, David. I'll give those a try. I'll post the new renders so they can be critiqued. Seems like when I get the terrain to the size I think it's appropriate, I end up having to change it due to another factor and then I get so far "down the road" that I wish I had the original terrain size back. LOL It's always a challenge, but I'm sure that's what people think about me too! :)

Both of your renders look nice, but I'm partial to the colored lights coming through the clouds in the 2nd one.

ETA: The particular material I have on the terrain uses channel D to control the amount of diffusion. It's currently set at 100%. Does that percentage need to be altered to correspond with any changes to the other 3 channels?

ETA2: I think the answer to the question about altering channel D is no because we still want 100% diffuse response. Correct?

Thanks, Art

Yes, I'd say you don't need to alter that.

edited March 2015

Ok, a couple of quick experiments based on your recommendations. I've used the Peak District - extra stony and some fields material that has the following channel scale settings. Channel A: 18%; B: 1%; C: 1%; D: 100%. Each render shows what's been altered. I'm not showing all of the renders I prepared just so I can keep this to the 5 image per post limit and don't take over the thread.

The original was supposed to be first, but the forum decided it knows best. :/ I think the scaled terrain looks the best, but I'll leave that up to the artists in the bunch. :)

7_Distant_terrain_2_Def_Material_Scaled_TerrainLabeled.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 1M
    4_Distant_terrain_2_A2_B18_C1Labeled.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 1M
    3_Distant_terrain_2_A1.5_B_.1_C_1Labeled_.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 1M
    2_Distant_terrain_2_A9_B.5_C1Labeled_.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 1M
    1_Distant_terrain_1Labeled.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Took it another step further and added an anisotropic effect to the water following David's tuturial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzf3xMO6CmA&list=PLawc-o22oZ7fXsJa7bqT42-S1b5A6IBiM&index=1

Thanks for looking.

Distant_Terrain_with_Water_Anisotropic_Effect.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 915K
    edited December 1969

Took it another step further and added an anisotropic effect to the water following David's tuturial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzf3xMO6CmA&list=PLawc-o22oZ7fXsJa7bqT42-S1b5A6IBiM&index=1

Thanks for looking.

Is is coming along nicely. I agree with your choice of terrain/material scale for this now, the next thing you might want to consider is lifting the cloud height so that the haze can cover the top of the distant mountains. If you are already maxed out at that then again, modifying the scale of terrain might be necessary.

edited December 1969

@ Fencepost52, wow the last render is a dramatic improvement from the first ones you did....great job :)

edited December 1969

Art – nice experiments with the landscapes. The last render is lovely.

David- both renders are really nice.

Simple landscape using one of the sky scenes from David’s Cloudscapes 5

cloud6.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 40K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ooh do I see an animal in that cloud.

edited March 2015

Thanks, David, timbateman, and mermaid!

@mermaid: very nicely done!

Here's the latest. Adjusted the haze as suggested by David and one I've added clouds to. Thanks for all the help and encouragement!

Distant_Terrain_with_Water_Anisotropic_Effect.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 921K
    Distant_Terrain_with_Water_Anisotropic_Effect_With_Clouds.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 1M
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @CTippetts - that's a great scene, only the positions of the flowers looks a bit artificial. Otherwise very nice. Judging from the shadows, the sun is up and I would expect a bit more light from it. Nevertheless, I like what you did here.

Well, you are right, as usual. Those flowers have always looked phony to me way back in 2006, but I spent most of the time on the grass and the downed tree. I ruined the lighting by allowing the cloud cover to cast shadows. I took that away in a stereo version of the image that I posted Here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/775826/

The stereo version reveals flaws involving slight rotations of the pine tree grass when you see the stereo effect ... there are pine branches sticking up out of the ground.

Also, thank you very much for your help on the Instancing Lab. I had no idea about the memory/space savings the IL provides. Pretty amazing, actually.

@fencepost52 - I also think your final version is vastly better than the first tries. Nice job!

@mermaid010 - BEAUTIFUL clouds! I'm jealous ... again.

@David Brinnen - Two amazing shots. So realistic. Stunning. Awe inspiring.

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you. Your landscape, or rather the sky, looks great. Like Pam, I see animals, a horse and a cat.

@Art - nice experiments.

@CTippetts - the stereo version is very nicely lit.

edited December 1969

@Horo - Im really jealous of your 454 palms, mine still crushes after 30 , beautiful render.

@CTippetts - The time you spent doing the grass was well worth it, looks so lush and I really like the vegetation and the fallen tree in the center. Very nice.

@David - Beautiful scenes

@Fencepost52 - I have to agree . You nailed it with the last one.

@ Mermaid - Love the clouds

Still practicing landscapes. Here is the latest addition

mountain_lake_1.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 205K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,025
    edited December 1969

Nice landscapes and clouds.

A quick one from this morning. Two terrains and an HDRI called Tropical Beach from somewhere used as the lighting and sky, the sun is on too. I had to rotate the HDRI to get rid of some palm trees and the beach is below the horizon :-)

Rocky Point

rocky-point-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 418K
This discussion has been closed.